TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

There's multiple fan sites posting the rumor. I get what you guys are proposing, I just don't believe RMC has the physical man power to do any other project on top of Shot Rod, Roar, Storm Chaser, and Wildfire.

One, is Wildfire actually happening? 2 if it actually is, wouldn't Vekoma be taking care of it being they handle rmc's over seas production?

There's multiple fan sites posting the rumor. I get what you guys are proposing, I just don't believe RMC has the physical man power to do any other project on top of Shot Rod, Roar, Storm Chaser, and Wildfire.

One, is Wildfire actually happening? 2 if it actually is, wouldn't Vekoma be taking care of it being they handle rmc's over seas production?

1) Yes

2) No

Yes it is, it's been confirmed by both the park manager and RMC. And no, RMC is still doing all design, construction, and manufacturing. The only thing Vekoma is helping RMC with is the business side of the operation in Europe, even the American construction team will be in Sweden.

I recently took my first real trip to SFMM for 2 days on July 21st and 22nd so I figured I’d do a quick trip report about my time there. I had only been to the park once on a quick 4 hour trip so I never really got to experience the whole thing before this. I rode everything once unless stated.

Twisted Colossus (x7)

I had been looking forward to Twisted Colossus most so I rode that first with only about a 30 minute line. The two days I was at the park I never saw the line get longer than 30 minutes. It was really nice. None of the lines were that long actually. The ride itself is amazing. I ended up riding it 7 times in the 2 days I was there and it is definitely in my top five coasters. I only raced 3 times, out of the 14 total laps I took, so that was kind of unfortunate. It’s definitely more exciting when its racing but still a great ride regardless. It was running the entire time I was there as well so that was good.

10/10

X2 (x2 )

This ended up being my second favorite ride in the park. It’s such a crazy unique experience! I sat in the front, inside seat both rides so that might have been a reason I liked it so much since I didn’t get that roughness that I often hear about. First time was about a 30 minute wait and the second time it was an hour but only due to a breakdown. The audio was working both times but the fire only worked for one of them.

9.5/10

Full Throttle (x2)

I loved this coaster as well. It really isn’t anything that special and doesn’t really feel any different than you’d expect it to feel in the POV but still a fun ride regardless. Consistent 45 minute wait both days.

9/10

Scream

I actually really liked this coaster. It was better than Rougarou, although that’s the only other floorless coaster I’ve been on. I thought it was really smooth and the new colors look amazing on it as well.

8/10

Apocalypse

Fun ride but rough. I hope the rumors about the topper track are true. That would make it an awesome coaster. One train ops on this made it about an hour wait.

7/10

Goliath

Longest wait of the whole trip at just over an hour. Another fun ride, great positive G’s and super super smooth.

7/10

Riddler’s Revenge

Probably the best stand up I’ve been on. It had a little rattle to it but the layout didn’t cause me pain so that’s good! One train ops made a 3 train wait into a 15 minute wait.

7/10

Green Lantern

I was hoping for one of those crazy intense rides everyone talks about on this but unfortunately it didn’t happen. I stayed upright the whole time until the twist into the brakes so it was pretty tame.

7/10

Superman

This thing is barely a coaster but it’s still a fun ride. Only the left side was running when I went and barely went into the red section. Short but still thrilling.

7/10

Gold Rusher

A neat little Arrow through the trees. There were a ton of kids on it with their parents that seemed to be having the time of their life (wow imagine that Six Flags, a family enjoying a family coaster?!)

6/10

Batman

I’m not a fan of the Batman clones since they’re just too intense and dizzying for me. This one was no different

5/10

Revolution

The restraints.. whyyyyyyy?? The ride has potential and now I know why people freak out about the restraints. They really just ruin the ride.

4/10

I also did the 3 kiddie coasters because credits (why not? ) Ironically the worst one was the newest one.

I didn’t do Ninja, Viper, or Tatsu this trip since I did those 3 last time. Lex Luthor was closed.

Overall, I do like this park a lot despite the hate for it. The only major problems I saw were:

-the slow operations (both limited train ops and speed of the employees)

-the cleanliness/condition of the park

-the never ending ads that are literally everywhere you look

Wasn’t there a rumor about Herschend wanting to buy this park out a while back?

114261277_Summer2015throughLA1656.thumb.JPG.c9ed1959aa663ec14223abcc3be84761.JPG

FINALLY (feat. Twix)

Ftboth.thumb.jpg.3181ad2660e29f40d924701c4db96fd3.jpg

I don't think this is supposed to happen? ;)

192486393_Summer2015throughLA1765.thumb.JPG.d4e708b59c503810a19299bc80a9855c.JPG

This is my favorite shot in the whole park

Here is a trip report from my visit on Thursday, July 9, 2015.

I went to Magic Mountain last year, but before that I hadn’t been since 2006, when I think Tatsu was new at the time. I live in Southern California and have been visiting Magic Mountain since the days of the Sarajevo Bobsleds (1984?) back where Apocalypse now sits. This year I took 7 kids to the park (three are mine, the other four are like family—age range 10 to 15). All were tall enough to ride every coaster in the park.

We arrived at the park around 9:50 am or so, and I was surprised to see that the parking lot booths were already open and we could go park. Yay for park operations! We walked to the front gate and then waited for a while. We wound up entering the park at about 10:45 am.

Ride 1: X2 (in line 10:51 am, waited for about 35 min). The line was out to the first zig-zag area and we only waited in one of the zig-zags. I had not ridden X2 since it was just plain old X, and I remember it used to load very, very, very slowly. This line moved faster than I thought it would—hooray for the ride ops! I also remember the ride itself being rather painful, and an outside seat was just not a good idea. I sat on the inside, and it was fine except for the last loop/turn where there is a large jolt. Everybody really liked the ride and wanted to do it again later in the day if there was time. I liked it as well, and will probably make sure I ride it in all my future visits. 2 train operation—yay!

Ride 2: Tatsu (in line 11:36 am, waited about 40 min). I had not ridden Tatsu since it opened, I think. I remember it was fun, but it loaded very, very, very slowly. Not much has changed. It’s still very fun, and it still loads very, very, very slowly. It is not that fun to hang there in the brake run waiting several minutes for the other train to depart. Tatsu had a minor malfunction. One train had to be sent empty a couple of times through the opposite station. Then 4 of the ride ops rode it to test it I suppose, and then it was back and cycling with the other train. Everyone enjoyed the ride, just not the hanging around part at the end. 2 train operation—yay, but very slow and lots of stacking.

Ride 3: Superman (in line 12:25 pm, waited about 20 min). This is still fun, nice, and smooth. Yay for no pain! Everyone liked this ride.

Ride 4: Batman (in line 12:53 pm, waited about 15 min). I haven’t been on this ride—or any of its clones--since 2006 or so. It’s still fun, but a little bit more rattly than I remember. The only headbang part I experienced was the final left turn. Everybody liked this. I prefer Silver Bullet at Knotts. 2 train operation—yay!

Ride 5: Drop of Doom (in line 1:14 pm, waited about 20 min). This crew did very well to keep the line moving. Fantastic ride—everybody wanted to go on this again later in the day if we had time.

Ride 6: Green Lantern (in single rider line 1:41 pm, took about 25 min for all 7 people to ride Green Lantern). I rode this last year once for the last time—too much pain. So I waited and laughed at the kids as they rode it.

We then left the park to go eat lunch at In N Out. This was a good break and recharging time for everyone. We got back into the park at about 4 pm.

Ride 7: YOLOcoaster (in line 4:04 pm, waited about 45 min). I’m starting to really like the YOLOcoaster. I still wish it had more of a second half instead of dropping from the loop into the brakes, but it is fast, smooth, and super fun. Everyone wanted to do this again if there was time later in the day. I think the best ride op of the day was here—she made lots of jokes as the train was launched each time. 2 train operation—yay!

Ride 8: Twisted Colossus (in line 5:02 pm, waited about 45 min). Wow. All I can say is wow! This is amazing and very fun. If all RMC coasters are like this, they will be having lots and lots of business for years and years to come. I liked the background music in the queue, and the little steampunk decorations. Everyone liked this and wanted to ride again later if there was time. 3 train operation—super yay! Also, the crew was doing a great job of dispatching trains with minimal stacking.

Ride 9: Scream (in line 5:52 pm, waited about 15 min). It’s fun, and mostly smooth—little bit of rattling but not too much. It was very windy in the station. 2 train operation—yay!

Ride 10: Riddler (in single rider line 6:23 pm, took about 10 min for all 8 of us to ride). This was much bumpier than I remember. I wouldn’t mind if it was converted to a normal sit down coaster with Kumba or Incredible Hulk style B&M trains. Only 1 train operation—boo.

Ride 11: Goldrusher (in line 6:44 pm, walk-on). It’s still fun, and really only worth a walk on or possibly 5 minute wait. 2 train operation—yay!

Ride 12: Apocalypse (in line 6:57 pm, walk-on). Quite fun, and quite bumpy but the seats have enough padding to absorb that. I was really surprised by the out of control feeling on this ride, even though I rode it last year. I’m so glad Psyclone got replaced by this. 2 train operation—yay!

Ride 13: Viper (in line 7:21 pm, walk-on). Yeah, that will be the last time I ride Viper, unless possibly I’m taking some people who haven’t ridden it before. Hopefully it will be demolished and replaced with something less painful. Nobody in the group liked it. I suppose the newer Vekoma or Kumbak trains that are on Carowinds’ Carolina Cobra could be put on Viper to ease the pain, but it would probably just be easier to scrap it and build something new there. It would be hilarious if a B&M Wingrider took its spot right next to X2. Probably won’t happen, but that would be funny. 2 train operation—yay!

Ride 14: Revolution (in line 7:26 pm, walk-on). And this will be the last time I ride Revolution, unless I’m taking some people who haven’t ridden it before. I believe Gerstlauer makes trains that could replace the current trains (see Hersheypark’s Sooperdooperlooper). Both Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus go through loops with only lapbars, so I would think this would be a perfect time to restore Revolution to its former glory—when it was fun, and not an instrument of torture. As with Viper, nobody in the group liked this one. 2 train operation—yay!

We took the Orient Express up the hill to take a ride on Ninja. This was a nice breather after the head and shoulder pain inflicted by Viper and Revolution. We got in line for Ninja and I noticed there was only 1 train in operation, so we waited a couple of minutes and I decided to skip it because it would not be worth the wait. I’m guessing the train that hit the tree still hasn’t been repaired yet? So we headed down the mountain to Jet Stream.

Ride 15: Jet Stream (in line 7:45 pm, walk-on). Fun little flume ride—gets people sitting toward the back a little more splashed than those in the front. Everyone was all smiles after this ride.

At this point we had ridden all the rides I wanted to take everyone on, so I asked which ones did they want to ride again in the hour that was left. Everybody unanimously wanted X2 to be the final ride, and they also wanted to ride the Drop of Doom again, so we went there first.

Ride 16: Drop of Doom (in line 7:59 pm, waited about 15 min). This really is a fun, fun ride. The ride up for me is much worse than the drop down, especially if a Superman car gets launched up the tower and causes it to sway more than usual.

Ride 17: X2 (in line 8:30 pm, waited about 30 min). The park closed at 9 pm on this day, so this was our last ride. It really is very fun, and I just have to remember to brace myself for that last jolt on the final loop/turn before the brakes.

After our final ride on X2, we went to the Flags gift shop near the front of the park and got souvenirs and Takis. We stopped again at In N Out for dinner on the way home. Overall, this was another fun trip to Magic Mountain. Goliath had still not received its replacement chain, so it was not working, but that just leaves us a reason to go back next year. Last year the ride ops in the control booths seemed a bit more upbeat and funny than this year, but other than that, it was a very good day at Magic Mountain. Also, the weather was cloudy most of the day and the temperature was only in the low 80s, so we were all thankful we were not baking in the sun like typical July days at Magic Mountain.

I don't get this. If they can take on 4 projects, why couldn't they take on 4 1/2?

I don't get this. If they can take on 4 projects, why couldn't they take on 4 1/2?

Cause that would require a whole other team of people working, and November is right during peak construction time on their projects. Don't overestimate the size of RMC as a company. They're expanding, but they're still a pretty small company, without a huge amount of employees. Last I heard, they aren't doing basic retrackings at all anymore. I heard they are focusing on their large projects completely.

I recently took my first real trip to SFMM for 2 days on July 21st and 22nd so I figured I’d do a quick trip report about my time there. I had only been to the park once on a quick 4 hour trip so I never really got to experience the whole thing before this. I rode everything once unless stated.

Twisted Colossus (x7)

I had been looking forward to Twisted Colossus most so I rode that first with only about a 30 minute line. The two days I was at the park I never saw the line get longer than 30 minutes. It was really nice. None of the lines were that long actually. The ride itself is amazing. I ended up riding it 7 times in the 2 days I was there and it is definitely in my top five coasters. I only raced 3 times, out of the 14 total laps I took, so that was kind of unfortunate. It’s definitely more exciting when its racing but still a great ride regardless. It was running the entire time I was there as well so that was good.

10/10

X2 (x2 )

This ended up being my second favorite ride in the park. It’s such a crazy unique experience! I sat in the front, inside seat both rides so that might have been a reason I liked it so much since I didn’t get that roughness that I often hear about. First time was about a 30 minute wait and the second time it was an hour but only due to a breakdown. The audio was working both times but the fire only worked for one of them.

9.5/10

YOLOcoaster (x2)

I loved this coaster as well. It really isn’t anything that special and doesn’t really feel any different than you’d expect it to feel in the POV but still a fun ride regardless. Consistent 45 minute wait both days.

9/10

Scream

I actually really liked this coaster. It was better than Rougarou, although that’s the only other floorless coaster I’ve been on. I thought it was really smooth and the new colors look amazing on it as well.

8/10

Apocalypse

Fun ride but rough. I hope the rumors about the topper track are true. That would make it an awesome coaster. One train ops on this made it about an hour wait.

7/10

Goliath

Longest wait of the whole trip at just over an hour. Another fun ride, great positive G’s and super super smooth.

7/10

Riddler’s Revenge

Probably the best stand up I’ve been on. It had a little rattle to it but the layout didn’t cause me pain so that’s good! One train ops made a 3 train wait into a 15 minute wait.

7/10

Green Lantern

I was hoping for one of those crazy intense rides everyone talks about on this but unfortunately it didn’t happen. I stayed upright the whole time until the twist into the brakes so it was pretty tame.

7/10

Superman

This thing is barely a coaster but it’s still a fun ride. Only the left side was running when I went and barely went into the red section. Short but still thrilling.

7/10

Gold Rusher

A neat little Arrow through the trees. There were a ton of kids on it with their parents that seemed to be having the time of their life (wow imagine that Six Flags, a family enjoying a family coaster?!)

6/10

Batman

I’m not a fan of the Batman clones since they’re just too intense and dizzying for me. This one was no different

5/10

Revolution

The restraints.. whyyyyyyy?? The ride has potential and now I know why people freak out about the restraints. They really just ruin the ride.

4/10

I also did the 3 kiddie coasters because credits (why not? ) Ironically the worst one was the newest one.

I didn’t do Ninja, Viper, or Tatsu this trip since I did those 3 last time. Lex Luthor was closed.

Overall, I do like this park a lot despite the hate for it. The only major problems I saw were:

-the slow operations (both limited train ops and speed of the employees)

-the cleanliness/condition of the park

-the never ending ads that are literally everywhere you look

Wasn’t there a rumor about Herschend wanting to buy this park out a while back?

[attachment=0]Summer 2015 through LA 1656.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=2]Ftboth.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Summer 2015 through LA 1765.JPG[/attachment]

Is that pic of Yolo real with the cars on the loop simultaneously? I've only seen that in the animation video. I wouldnt even imagine that is safe lol

No haha it's photoshopped

yeah, i don't even think it's possible. maybe just barely. i know once the train is dispatched, the one on the brake run takes almost too long to get back to the station. there might be just enough time. but definitely no changing of riders or checking restraints.

Regarding the Apocalypse RMC rumors, I remember hearing murmurings regarding that a month or two ago but was under the impression it was for a few years from now. A retracking would be great as the ride needs it, ultimately they should just iron horse it though. The ride is just going to continue to deteriorate as time goes on, why keep dumping money into it just to keep it on life support.

Cause that would require a whole other team of people working, and November is right during peak construction time on their projects. Don't overestimate the size of RMC as a company. They're expanding, but they're still a pretty small company, without a huge amount of employees. Last I heard, they aren't doing basic retrackings at all anymore. I heard they are focusing on their large projects completely.

I'm not sure where November came from. Everything I've heard indicates next year. Apocalypse usually goes down right before spring.

I'm not sure where November came from. Everything I've heard indicates next year. Apocalypse usually goes down right before spring.

IntaMAN claimed Novemeber two pages back. But early spring/ late winter is an even busier time for RMC to do it. I am willing to bet that it will not happen for 2016 at all. It's just an unfounded rumor at this point. It's been spread around the Internet for a while so everybody takes it as fact.

Thanks to rcoaster10 and HauntedIndy for posting your trip reports, I really enjoy reading people's impressions of SFMM that don't go there all the time. It really is a great park with some incredible coasters. RMC did such an amazing job with TC, I am glad that you both enjoyed it as much as you did. I've ridden it about 40 times since it opened and I still love it. I wish they would get better about dispatching the trains so they can race, but a lot of the blame lies with the riders who don't board quickly enough. X2, Goliath, and Tatsu are still great coasters and have held up well over the years. Full Throttle is also a lot of fun and usually the first coaster I hit when I go to the park. I also wish they had extended the track a bit coming out of the top hat so you don't immediately hit the brake run. I wonder why Riddler was only running one train? I was there two weeks ago and it had two trains running. Luckily you used the single rider line, so the one train ops didn't affect you too bad.

And yes, they really need to get those new Gerstlauer trains for Revolution. I rode SDL at Hershey a couple of months ago and it was super smooth.

^Not sure Gerstlauer is too keen on working with Six Flags at the moment. Strained relations really mess things up sometimes. I always wonder if possibly MM could've had an Intamin hyper had relations between MM and Intamin not gone sour because of Superman. Glad they made up though

IntaMAN claimed Novemeber two pages back. But early spring/ late winter is an even busier time for RMC to do it. I am willing to bet that it will not happen for 2016 at all. It's just an unfounded rumor at this point. It's been spread around the Internet for a while so everybody takes it as fact.

Everything I've heard has been speculation, nothing more.

No haha it's photoshopped

Unless something changed, I think it was established that this phenomenon could never be safely achieved. In the rare occasion that the first train did not clear the tophat and that the second train DID complete the loop, there would be nothing stopping the two trains from colliding in the tunnel. Sure, one could assume the coaster could install (or activate if they're already there) trims to stop the second train from reaching the tunnel, but this seems like it would complicate the process way more than if they just launched the trains one at a time.

I keep hearing rumors of people saying that RMC is going to do work in Apocalypse next year. I just wanted to say that there's no way that's happening. They already have 4 projects for 2016, that's double any other year for them. I highly doubt they'd have any time to do work on Apocalypse or GhostRider in 2016.

When it comes to businesses taking on more work, never say never. With the proper project management I'm sure RMC can do 4-5 projects in a year. Just when you think a park can't fit a new coaster on to their property, boom, they make it fit. Companies expand, they can contract out sections of work to other companies to make up time. There are so many ways to take care of business

We got in line for Ninja and I noticed there was only 1 train in operation, so we waited a couple of minutes and I decided to skip it because it would not be worth the wait. I’m guessing the train that hit the tree still hasn’t been repaired yet?

No, they used the long dormant third train to repair the one that hit the tree (or maybe parted the crashed train out to rehab the third one, I dont know which) but they were running 2 trains again subsequent to the accident.

Ok, I've got to pop up and get the full scoop... I keep seeing people refer to Apocalypse as being really rough now. Is that really the case? If so, that's a shame, since when I went to SFMM back in 2012, that was one of my favorite coasters there. Heck, it's currently in my Top 10 wood based on that experience! What happened to it? Just bad aging? Sorry to machine-gun you with questions, it's just a shame to hear that what was once a great coaster, has fallen on hard times...

Ok, I've got to pop up and get the full scoop... I keep seeing people refer to Apocalypse as being really rough now. Is that really the case? If so, that's a shame, since when I went to SFMM back in 2012, that was one of my favorite coasters there. Heck, it's currently in my Top 10 wood based on that experience! What happened to it? Just bad aging? Sorry to machine-gun you with questions, it's just a shame to hear that what was once a great coaster, has fallen on hard times...

the last time i rode it, a few weeks ago, it definitely was really rough. that was on their newly refurbished train. i also love this ride, when it's not like it was the last time i rode it. it was a walk on and we rode once and moved on. something i never did before.

^Such a bummer! Does it ride this way in the front seat, too? That was where I sat when I rode it before, so maybe it was already pretty rough in the back, even back then...

i rode in the back seat this last time. usually always do, so not sure how the front it currently.