TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don't know why everyone is still freaking out about Tatsu using both loading stations. They have been doing that on any even moderately busy day for the past year. But yeah today was insane. There was an accident on TC this morning where the paramedics were called which shut down the ride for 2 hours. Scream was also down the whole day no idea why. One train in the station and one in the maintenance shed. Lex Luthor was down all day too.

^2 trains, but the third was on the maintenance track in flying position with water dummies! So three train operation may be coming very soon!

No they haven't. I went on a moderately busy day in May and there was one train running with one train in the shed and the other just parked in the other loading station. Same thing when I went during Spring Break in April, when it was even busier. I don't think I've seen Tatsu use both loading stations in a couple of years at least. I'm glad they are using both stations again and hopefully they will have three trains for WCB.

An accident on TC? Like involving the ride itself? Or just a problem with a guest?

Guest incident. I didn't see what happened as they shut down the whole area around the ride for like 2 hours. All I know is that the paramedics went in with a stretcher and it was about half an hour after the park opened.

I don't know why everyone is still freaking out about Tatsu using both loading stations. They have been doing that on any even moderately busy day for the past year. But yeah today was insane. There was an accident on TC this morning where the paramedics were called which shut down the ride for 2 hours. Scream was also down the whole day no idea why. One train in the station and one in the maintenance shed. Lex Luthor was down all day too.

^2 trains, but the third was on the maintenance track in flying position with water dummies! So three train operation may be coming very soon!

No they haven't. I went on a moderately busy day in May and there was one train running with one train in the shed and the other just parked in the other loading station. Same thing when I went during Spring Break in April, when it was even busier. I don't think I've seen Tatsu use both loading stations in a couple of years at least. I'm glad they are using both stations again and hopefully they will have three trains for WCB.

If the second train was parked in the other station, that means there was some sort of technical problem with the other train. They did that yesterday too for about a half hour while I was waiting. Then it got fixed and both stations were in use once again. I don't remember the last time I went where they weren't using two stations, and I go at least twice a week. Unless you ride within like the first hour/90 min of park opening then they won't be running both stations but usually will after that.

702706836_ScreenShot2015-07-20at12_45_08PM.png.a4b975d653cda4c4ca1f00b1d1350bae.png

i hope it's enforced. or like line jumping, the rule is in place, but never enforced.

but not just selfie sticks, phones being used by seemingly at least one person on every train of TC. it's like there's a new pov video almost daily uploaded to youtube.

Tatsu utilizes both stations all the time, but I haven't seen them utilize both stations and all three trains since 2009 or so. The only thing that makes three train, two station operation sucky is that if you leave in one station, you return in the other, meaning your items get left on the opposite side. That's why the have the open cubbies where you can grab it from either side.

Quick question...is there public transportation between the Knotts area and SFMM? I plan on flying into burbank on a sat night for HHN, taking the bus to the Knotts area for KSF and then im stuck lol. Not sure which airport i wanna fly into and out of at this point if I want to incorporate SFMM into my trip. Any assistance would help!

Lots of good info has been given to you. One other option once you have made it to the Santa Clarita Bus Station right next door is the Valencia Hyatt and they offer pickups for the HomeTown Trolly That will drop you closer then any city bus will and even closer then the trams from the main parking lot. And again NO CHARGE for using the Trolly. So check into it as you have several options.

Please note, the trolley only drops off in the mornings to the Six Flags parks and picks up in the evenings. Trolley Service does not run all day. **Please plan your Trolley Route before leaving the hotel as shuttle pick up times vary based on the Six Flags Magic Mountain operating calendar. Please check park hours in advance. Trolley runs for approximately one hour after park closes. The City of Santa Clarita offers complimentary service every day from May 22 to August 30 & September 5-7, 2015. The Trolley offers a unique and easy way for visitors to experience Santa Clarita while saving time and money.

I think a park only ever tries to utilize all of a coaster's trains the first few seasons it's open. On the other hand, I think it's a staffing issue. Tatsu is a pretty popular ride and it's trains are unique. It's easy for one train to require repair, and for that reason they have the third train "ready" to go if necessary. They wont run all three due to staffing though. It's a popular ride but not as popular as the first few seasons. Even if the lines get long, there are several other popular coasters in the park that need staffing.

I think SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN only ever tries to utilize all of a coaster's trains the first few seasons it's open. On the other hand, I think it's a staffing issue. Tatsu is a pretty popular ride and it's trains are unique. It's easy for one train to require repair, and for that reason they have the third train "ready" to go if necessary. They wont run all three due to staffing though. It's a popular ride but not as popular as the first few seasons. Even if the lines get long, there are several other popular coasters in the park that need staffing.

*fixed*

Wouldn't maintenance schedules make it almost impossible for them to run 3 trains? They only have 3 right?

No they can run 3. 3 trains is only needed June-end of Fright Fest. That leaves them 7 months to rehab 3 trains.

Their issue is that their cycle shop is understaffed so train refurbishments take longer.

Wouldn't maintenance schedules make it almost impossible for them to run 3 trains? They only have 3 right?

No they can run 3. 3 trains is only needed June-end of Fright Fest. That leaves them 7 months to rehab 3 trains.

Their issue is that their cycle shop is understaffed so train refurbishments take longer.

i know it took 4 guys to reinstall, remove and reinstall the right color front shield and 4 bolts in 45 minutes on TC during commercial shoot. so, i can only imagine how long it takes to rehab an entire coaster train.

Kinda makes you wonder just how many more coasters MM can install before they are forced to start removing some due to having too many to maintain. If they can barely keep up now....

I think 20 will be their cap. After that it will be diminishing returns, and it will be easier to remove a less popular one to install a new one.

Quick question...is there public transportation between the Knotts area and SFMM? I plan on flying into burbank on a sat night for HHN, taking the bus to the Knotts area for KSF and then im stuck lol. Not sure which airport i wanna fly into and out of at this point if I want to incorporate SFMM into my trip.

Last year I flew into bur and flew out of sna since I started with HHN and ended witht he DLR. Any assistance would help!

My honest opinion: Rent a car. Try Enterprise. There is one on Beach and Orangethorpe roughly 2 miles North of KBF, and they will come PICK YOU UP from where you are if you want them to. Are you a Costco Member? Even better. Reserve the car through there in advance and it's even less.

I've rented cars for a WEEK through Costco Enterprise, and it was $90. No joke.

Screw public transportation, save or spend a little more, and you can save a lot of time and heartache.

Kinda makes you wonder just how many more coasters MM can install before they are forced to start removing some due to having too many to maintain. If they can barely keep up now....

Psyclone, Flashback, Freefall, Original Colossus, Deja Vu, Log Jammer...

Psyclone, Flashback, Freefall, Original Colossus, Deja Vu, Log Jammer...

Yes but Apocalypse, Green Lantern, Lex Luthor, Yolo, and Twisted Colossus. All those rides you mentioned (save Deja) were replaced by something else. So their maintenence dept has not been alleviated in the slightest.

They could always add more kiddie coasters. Keep the coaster count going and have less maintenance issues.

A family style coaster would/could be a nice addition to the park...

F_01AtomicFlyer_MovieParkGermany.jpg.8f8b493ed58dd8128ac33f1d4b808274.jpg

...Like the Atomic Flyer in Movie Park Germany. (TPR 2008 Europe Tour)

They could always add more kiddie coasters. Keep the coaster count going and have less maintenance issues.

A family style coaster would/could be a nice addition to the park...

They already have 4 coasters in Bugs Bunny World/Whistle Stop Park. I don't think they need any more kiddie coasters... A nice, long "family" coaster would be nice but it's just not Magic Mountain's demographic.

They market rides based on gimmicks and I don't think "World's Longest Family Roller Coaster" would win any corporate directors over.