TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Interesting comments on Goliath, I think it's one of the better rides in the park. I'd rather ride Goliath than get banged around on rides like Scream, Apocalypse, Viper, and Revolution.

My problem with Goliath is that it's just so boring. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but there's no real oomph to the ride outside of the helix o' doom that's been tamed. The first drop is pretty bad, though the tunnel at the bottom is great. The high turn is cool but not thrilling. The "airtime" hill provides zero airtime. The MCBR, at least the past few times I've ridden, have brought the train to a complete stop. After the MCBR it's just random turns and the helix o' doom which, as I mentioned before, has been tamed to be nowhere near as forceful as it used to be.

It has some good ideas but just poor, boring execution.

don't disagree with any of this, but, with nothing else nearby thats tall and fast, i enjoy it for what it is. and because it has decent capacity with short lines.

but it was much better without that slow down at the top, and the ridiculous mid course break.

TC's drops are awesome, but after riding SFGAM Goliath, makes you wish for more. even love Raging Bull's drop with the pre drop as well.

EDIT:Just got off Goliath, first drop ( and the airtime hill) was nothing compared to TC. Made it feel bland and forceless positives were still great though.

Just curious... But was this your first time riding Goliath?? For me the first drop, and airtime hill have never provided any airtime.

For me Goliath is a great people eater to help keep the other nearby lines that much shorter. It's also a fun speed coaster when there are no lines or ERT. Front row is the best.

The coaster is 15 years old. I enjoy it for what it is.

No it was not my first time riding Goliath, I didn't really mean in the airtime department (because I rarely get any either) it just used to feel more fun. The drop used to seem like the 3rd best in the park just because of the insane height (next to X2 and Lex Luther) but after TC in the back row, it just wasn't fun. Before I might've waited 1 hour for it but at this point I wouldn't ride it even as a walk on the positives are the only good part and honestly I'm not a big fan of large amounts of positives. Before, if someone said "take out Goliath" I wouldn't have agreed with them because I thought it was fun, but at this point, I would completely agree. I just shortened my opinion up because I was typing on a phone, about to ride TC.

EDIT: I see you have gone to Cedar Point, keep in mind that i'm a Californian and i've only ridden rides in SoCal and Orlando.

Looking back, I think Goliath was kind of just thrown together to get a record-breaker without using a lot of space or footers. The layout is quite uninspired and its almost like maybe the original layout was bigger, but scaled down due to cost or time-constraints (as Millennium Force was due to open a few months later).

I'm still trying to figure out why the ride cost $30 million (according to Wiki), I know earthquake proofing and all but even Superman wasn't that expensive and it's much taller.

Bash me all you want, but I love Goliath. It's tall, fast, SMOOTH, and fun! I don't give two craps that it doesn't have OMFG ejector air or a 110-degree first drop. I love it for what it is, and I'm gonna throw my hands up and have fun on it anyway. Isn't that what being an enthusiast is all about? Not every ride in the universe needs to kick your a$$, and that's perfectly okay--to have variety.

Not to mention, it's the one of the few rides at the park that doesn't invert you 2380442 times, so it's refreshing to ride a fast, smooth coaster after riding rides like X2, Tatsu, TC, FT, etc.

Bash me all you want, but I love Goliath. It's tall, fast, SMOOTH, and fun! I don't give two craps that it doesn't have OMFG ejector air or a 110-degree first drop. I love it for what it is, and I'm gonna throw my hands up and have fun on it anyway. Isn't that what being an enthusiast is all about? Not every ride in the universe needs to kick your a$$, and that's perfectly okay--to have variety.

Not to mention, it's the one of the few rides at the park that doesn't invert you 2380442 times, so it's refreshing to ride a fast, smooth coaster after riding rides like X2, Tatsu, TC, FT, etc.

No bashing from me! This is what theme parks are all about. Building different types, and styles of coasters so that there will be something for everyone! Goliath is by no means a "bad" coaster. It just could have been so much better in my eyes!

I agree with you that it is tall, fast, and smooth! It's still in the top 20 tallest roller coasters in the world, and it's plenty fast! I think we just get spoiled by more intense coasters that even on a good coaster we are left thinking of how it could be better.

My problem with Goliath is that I actually found it to be quite...tame. Outside of the powerful helix, forces of any kind are actually quite sparse. Titan is a much better ride, as the bonus helix gives a much better force distribution. The conundrum with both of these is that they are extremely intense in parts, but overall very inconsistent in terms of giving thrills.

I used to dislike the designs of these coasters a lot, mostly due to inconsistent pacing and a lack of airtime. However, both designs have grown on me because both parks installed RMC's right next door, which take absolute care of the airtime department.

I love MM and try to defend the park at times but this is the ultimate ghetto. A trash bag covering the controls at TC cause of rain

I agree as I also defend the park way to much. Shes doing the best she can and trust me if silver tags dont like it they will speak with her. Its 3:30 now in Valencia and sky's are turning ugly. I bet nobody at the park is reading this but I would be seeking shelter right about now or just pack in in and come back on Sunday the 19th for Bring A Friend Free Day.

Its going to get wet really quick.

I'm with you, I still love Goliath. Although I seem to be one of the few who doesn't like the helix as I always grey out on it. Titan at SFOT is even worse for me with the bonus helix - I couldn't see a thing for a solid few seconds.

I love MM and try to defend the park at times but this is the ultimate ghetto. A trash bag covering the controls at TC cause of rain

I agree as I also defend the park way to much. Shes doing the best she can and trust me if silver tags dont like it they will speak with her. Its 3:30 now in Valencia and sky's are turning ugly. I bet nobody at the park is reading this but I would be seeking shelter right about now or just pack in in and come back on Sunday the 19th for Bring A Friend Free Day.

Its going to get wet really quick.

Trash bag covering controls > Ride down for water damaging control. Hopefully after seeing this the park will get a cover made, but I'll give some credit where it's due for making the effort. Tacky? Sure. But for a short term solution to a problem they might not have even realized was a problem until today...it works.

I haven't ridden Goliath, but I have to say Titan is smoother than any B&M or RMC I've been on.

Yeah Goliath is smooth as butter, and it's been that way since opening year. I can't tell which ride is the smoothest between Yolo, TC, and Goliath.

Based off of NTaG and IRat, TC probably has a slight rattle during the areas with the highest positive G-forces or will develop it in the next few years, and the only Premier launch I've been on is pretty rough, but YOLO is much newer than Poltergeist and is far from being a spaghetti bowl.

I guess Giovanola knew what they were doing with regards to track and train design.

Based off of NTaG and IRat, TC probably has a slight rattle during the areas with the highest positive G-forces or will develop it in the next few years
Interesting, but then again TC uses different trains from NTaG and IRat so that could be a factor as well.

Based off of NTaG and IRat, TC probably has a slight rattle during the areas with the highest positive G-forces or will develop it in the next few years
Interesting, but then again TC uses different trains from NTaG and IRat so that could be a factor as well.

That's actually a good point. RMC trains + RMC track = better compatible for the ultimate smooth and amazing RMC experience!

Does TC use nylon or steel wheels?

The only RMC to date that uses steel wheels is Outlaw Run, for some reason SFGAM decided to use nylon and poly wheels on Goliath. RMC won't run steel wheels on steel track for more reasons than one.

I went on the Goliath (SFGAm) construction tour, and one of the PR guys said then that the decision to use polyurethane wheels was that they are quieter than steel.

^I'm pretty sure it uses nylon/polyurethane wheels. I will admit that Medusa hauls through its layout, but if steel wheels ran on steel track, it would be LOUD.

Speaking of loud, does Superman: Escape from Krypton run on steel wheels? Probably a stupid question, but seems possible because it is SO LOUD and can be heard from anywhere in the park.