TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^I'm pretty sure it uses nylon/polyurethane wheels. I will admit that Medusa hauls through its layout, but if steel wheels ran on steel track, it would be LOUD.

Speaking of loud, does Superman: Escape from Krypton run on steel wheels? Probably a stupid question, but seems possible because it is SO LOUD and can be heard from anywhere in the park.

Yes and no, Superman's main wheels are either nylon or polyurethane. The reason Superman is so loud is because the guide wheels (that are oddly enough run on the middle of the track) are steel. Interestingly enough, the left track of Superman that just reopened features newly installed middle guide track on the ascent up the tower which has made the left side noticeably quieter. You can actually hear where the new guide track ends and the old remains on the left side.

Does TC use nylon or steel wheels?

The only RMC to date that uses steel wheels is Outlaw Run, for some reason SFGAM decided to use nylon and poly wheels on Goliath. RMC won't run steel wheels on steel track for more reasons than one.

there's an interview with alan shilke where he said, at least at the time of the interview (media day), that wicked cyclone was using a combo of all three wheel compounds.

given that SF usually announces 2016 rides in the middle/end of august, we should start hearing hints about SFMM's 2016 ride within the next few weeks right?

Don't get too excited. After TC I'm fairly positive they're not adding anything significant. Probably something flat ride-ish, but that they attempt to market as a coaster....

They're not going to "attempt to market" what would be their 20th coaster. Coaster 20 will indeed be something legit. I'm still thinking it ends up being a 40pft polercoaster. As far as 2016 goes, yes, probably a flat or a dark, or maybe even something new for Hurricane Harbor even.

Quick question...is there public transportation between the Knotts area and SFMM? I plan on flying into burbank on a sat night for HHN, taking the bus to the Knotts area for KSF and then im stuck lol. Not sure which airport i wanna fly into and out of at this point if I want to incorporate SFMM into my trip.

Last year I flew into bur and flew out of sna since I started with HHN and ended witht he DLR. Any assistance would help!

Quick question...is there public transportation between the Knotts area and SFMM? I plan on flying into burbank on a sat night for HHN, taking the bus to the Knotts area for KSF and then im stuck lol. Not sure which airport i wanna fly into and out of at this point if I want to incorporate SFMM into my trip.

Last year I flew into bur and flew out of sna since I started with HHN and ended witht he DLR. Any assistance would help!

I think possibly the train and Uber might be your best bet.

I think possibly the train and Uber might be your best bet.

Hop on the Metrolink "Orange County" line going towards Los Angeles Union Startion and then you'll need to transfer to the "Antelope Valley" line and take it to the Santa Clarita station. It's a 2 hour trip. Once at the Santa Clarita Metrolink station you should be able to take the Santa Clarita Transit bus to the park. If you're visiting on a weekend the Metrolink weekend day-pass is a great deal at $10.

image.thumb.jpg.08c5c1a76fffdf1469f71aa2c8c38bad.jpg

Google Maps has options on directions for walking, biking, mass transit, or driving. It's not a new thing. Try it.

Not sure if you're being a smart ass or not but to let you know, I have been traveling to LA for several years now, I am quite familiar with a good bit of the public transportation systems. It never hurts to ask locals, experts on exactly what would be the best options for travel. That's what we are here for right?

To everyone else, thanks! Im still figuring if I wanna stick to public transportation or biting the bullet and renting a car. More suggestions and options are greatly appreciated...

Google Maps has options on directions for walking, biking, mass transit, or driving. It's not a new thing. Try it.

Not sure if you're being a smart A$$ or not but to let you know, I have been traveling to LA for several years now, I am quite familiar with a good bit of the public transportation systems. It never hurts to ask locals, experts on exactly what would be the best options for travel. That's what we are here for right?

To everyone else, thanks! Im still figuring if I wanna stick to public transportation or biting the bullet and renting a car. More suggestions and options are greatly appreciated...

i'm not much of a public transportation guy, but i'd think it would take so long i'd probably bite the bullet and get a cheap car.

You have a few options:

Option 1:

Take LA Metro Bus 460 from Disneyland or Knotts to 7th Street Metro Station in Downtown LA. Transfer to the LA Metro Redline Subway to North Hollywood. At North Hollywood Station transfer to Santa Clarita Transit bus 757 to McBean Transit Center. At McBean Transit Center transfer to either Bus 7 or 3 to Six Flags.

The above option will ensure you get to Six Flags before opening and also will allow you to stay later than any other public transit option.

Option 2:

Take Orange County Metrolink train from either: Buena Park, Fullerton, or Anaheim Station to either Newhall Station or Santa Clarita Station.

From Newhall Station transfer to bus 1, 2, 4, or 14 to McBean Transit center. At McBean Transit Center transfer to bus 3 or 7 to Six Flags.

From Santa Clarita Station transfer to bus 501 to Six Flags. (Weekdays only)

With the Metrolink option, the only way you will be able to get to the park before opening is to go during the week. If you do use Metrolink during the weekend, you will not get to the park until at least 1 or 2pm.

Links:

http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/

http://www.santaclaritatransit.com/routes-schedules/new-schedules-effective-182012/

http://metrolinktrains.com/schedules/

How are car rentals' costs, nowadays? With midweek pickup and following mid-week return, at/to the airport?

(I did a couple of car rentals back in the 1980s, but I know costs, rental companies, and such have changed.)

MatersTacosDL2012.jpg.f137664b5f5a6b1405d3ff7e86355098.jpg

Maybe renting something like this? (Thanks MiceAge for the photo)

Edited by Nrthwnd

How are car rentals' costs, nowadays? With midweek pickup and following mid-week return, at/to the airport?

(I did a couple of car rentals back in the 1980s, but I know costs, rental companies, and such have changed.)

i think in LA, it's pretty cheap. i just did a random search on priceline for oct 10-13. pickup from burbank is $11 a day for the cheapest, $67 total.

With Twisted Colossus open and attracting very large crowds, would it be advisable to run to this ride first off? Thanks.

Well TC has the single rider line, so I think other attractions without it (such as Tatsu, FT, and X2) should be priority. I say Fool Throttle, Tatsu, then X2 in the afternoon.

Was at magic mountain today and lines were absolutely insane. Tatsu had a 2 hr wait but believe it or not, they were using two loading stations!!! Will be going back tomorrow and I'll post more updates. Anyone know SFMM's rain policies?

image.thumb.jpg.8a7292780f2b17f292b4b11e5470f47b.jpg

Tatsu using both loading stations.

I don't know why everyone is still freaking out about Tatsu using both loading stations. They have been doing that on any even moderately busy day for the past year. But yeah today was insane. There was an accident on TC this morning where the paramedics were called which shut down the ride for 2 hours. Scream was also down the whole day no idea why. One train in the station and one in the maintenance shed. Lex Luthor was down all day too.

^2 trains, but the third was on the maintenance track in flying position with water dummies! So three train operation may be coming very soon!