TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

TC. Is. Amazing. Period. Alright the drop is second to only one other El Toro, but you don't have one, you have two! This ride needs to be experienced. Was at the park for 6 hours. Not too long, but it was long enough to have a great time. Here is the scorecard:

Twisted Colossus 4x (3 stand-by, 1 single rider)

Scream! 2x

Apocolypse 1x

Tatsu 1x

Full Throtle 1x

Not too many rides, but when you get to ride a world class coaster over and over 4 times, you're bound to have a good time. There were many pros about today including I can say from experience that Single Rider rocks. While the stand-by line wasn't long, (it was a mere 25 minutes) the single rider line got us in in under 5.That's pretty darn sweet! Speaking of TC, their ride crew was getting people out in as minimum time possible. We timed them one time at 1 min. 23 sec. We got plenty of races. Another pro is that Superman wasn't running one side, it was running two. Good job Six Flags! Now to the cons: The security guard in front of TC claimed that since we knew each other (I went with my brother) we couldn't get in line. What? We didn't care wheather or not we rode together. That was the most stupid rule i've ever heard of! Then when we went separately, he still called us out! Eventually we got on when he left. Btw, there was lift hill work being done with a crane on Goliath. They eventually stopped mid-day. Overall, it was a good day!

Spent a few hours at the park today. The crowds were reasonable, and the operations were very good overall. Gold pass gate opened around 10:10am, and Twisted Colossus had already cycled a few trains, so it was ready to go. Got a couple of rides in before the main gates opened and the crowds descended upon it. First ride was on the first dispatch of the day, and the trains were slightly out of sync for both duels. However, the next ride dueled on both sides, and both times we rode it later in the day, it also dueled on both sides. Despite the GP’s best efforts to slow things down, the ride ops were doing great — even when the ride got busy later in the day.

Apocalypse didn’t seem as bad today as it was two or three weeks ago, so I’m guessing we just happened to get a better train. Still brutal and a shadow of its former self, but a moderate improvement. Next time you’re on it, look backwards from the brake run and you can see just how jacked up parts of the track are.

Jumped on FT (still my favorite ride there), Superman (running both sides), Jet Stream (it was hot!), Scream, and then bailed.

And yes, we saw the chain installation underway on Goliath as well. The crane was up, and there were a couple of workers up there fiddling around with stuff. Should be back soon, hopefully.

I bought 3 season passes to Magic Mountain over the years and never made it up to Valencia to active them. Finally, just a few years ago, I decided to stop by the park on my way to a friend's BBQ in the valley to ride a few coasters since my season pass was about to expire (again).

I rode Scream, Colossus, then Goliath. I was one of 3 people sitting in the Goliath train waiting for more people to come up to the loading platform when a large, loud group of men boarded and filled the train -- including the seat next to me.

The train left the station and I kinda felt uneasy about this overly-boisterous group, and soon it became apparent why I felt that way. As train went past the on-ride camera, every last one of those guys crossed their hands up in a big "V" formation and yelled "VAGOS!"

Yup, I was an honorary Vago for 3 minutes. One of my life's biggest regrets was that I didn't buy the photo of a terrified me and 27 Vagos.

After that I rode Riddler's Revenge (I had never been on it) and it destroyed my back, so I left the park after only an hour. I haven't been back since then so I'm really looking forward to Sept. 12th. Hopefully I'll get to ride Twisted Colossus with some Hells Angels.

Wow today was awesome! I got to the park around 12:30 and got out just a little before 5. Here was my ride count.

Green Lantern x1 (Single Rider 5 min)

Batman x1 (5 min)

Twisted Colossus x4 (5 min each via Single Rider)

Scream x1 (5 min)

Lunch (20 min)

Superman x2 (once on each side, 10 min wait each)

Tatsu x1 (55 min wait, didn't open until late today but running both stations with 4 ops checking seats on each side)

X2 x1 (15 min, even shorter after I got off)

All that in 4 hours!

What a day!

Went to the park yesterday - Wednesdays seem like good days to go during this busy summer season - pretty much 2 train operation on everything and both sides running on Superman. Finally got the mythical duel-duel on Twisted Colossus! I saw more duels yesterday since any other day - hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

I would say it's more like a sign that the TC ride staff currently handles smaller crowds better than larger ones.

If that's true it makes it even more unfortunate that every couple trains there's an empty seat where a single rider should be, so it probably really slows down the line on busy days. Part of that problem is that the single rider line is at the opposite end of the grouper...

They had the SR thing down today! They just filled all the rows and then added the single riders in at the end. I went four times today and the only times I saw a seat go out empty was if there was no one in the single rider line! Then again... The regular line was only at the set of switchbacks inside the station. Not even close to the entrance.

They had the SR thing down today! They just filled all the rows and then added the single riders in at the end. I went four times today and the only times I saw a seat go out empty was if there was no one in the single rider line! Then again... The regular line was only at the set of switchbacks inside the station. Not even close to the entrance.

That's what they were doing yesterday, they just were failing lol. Hopefully they're getting better!

Wow, Thursday seemed like a great day to visit and makes me want to go even during the summer. I think on days where they do a great job we should go leave compliments in guest relations or to any lead employee there and tell them we will be back very soon just because of the great operations today! Maybe if enough of us do that that will see that if they care about us we will come back more.

Interesting why the 10:10 early entry instead of 10:20? That's cool.

and wow 5 minute waits on TC and even only 20 minutes for regular standby? Awesome.

I would say it sounds like Twisted Colossus is a MUST RIDE when visiting the park, and I've gotta agree, IT IS!

Glad to hear operations are improving, also that Superman is running both sides.

I would also like to second the compliment idea to guest relations, as it's always nice to hear as an employee when you're doing a good job.

Hopefully I'll be making it out to the park next week during a weekday and the girl will get to ride Twisted Colossus for the first time. LOL it should be fun.

Just trying to do some pre-trip planning here, and am after some info.

Our 2016 trip schedule will bring us to SoCal in the week before Easter. We are likely to be arriving Tues March 22 and departing Sat Mar 26 (late night). Nothing set in stone yet though.

Going by this years calendar, weekday operations started the week before easter. Given Easter is "early" this year, do you think this will be the same? Also, what are pre-Easter crowds usually like?

So with SFDK all but confirmed to be getting their own RMC love for 2016, has anyone heard any rumors about what SFMM will be getting as a new ride? I can't help but think it will be a flat or dark ride. So is it a large star flyer or a Justice League dark ride? There's plenty of places they could drop a star flyer in, though I'm thinking back by Apocalypse or in the new ScreamPunk district would be best, and I know theres a building they could use/space to build one in DC Universe for the dark ride. Just wishful thinking on my part? Maybe.... Has anyone actually heard anything?

SFMM isn't even that bad. I was very very disappointed with operations at SFOG. Those were probably the worst I've ever seen. 7-8 min dispatches on Goliath with 2 trains, double stacking on DDD, and don't even get me started with Superman. The ride ops were just talking the whole time. Six Flags Magic Mountain really isn't that bad with operations.

Not sure when you visited SFOG, but sadly things are often that bad. SFOG operations can be excellent or horrendous, I've seen both on the same ride at different times in the same day before. There is absolutely no consistency, which is maddening. I haven't had a chance to make it to the west coast yet, but from frequently reading this thread it would seem that SFMM has similar consistency issues.

I think SFMM 2016 is pretty wide open at this point. To bad this is one of those parks that does not drop hints and prefers to be totally quiet up to announcement day.

Given that Twisted Colossus really could sustain itself for at least two years, I tend to think 2016 will bring a small addition at best, but who knows? We could see anything from a Larson Loop (most likely), to a Justice League, to an S&S Fly Free. They might also go rouge and add something completely different than what the rest of the chain is doing as they've done before.

A S&S Free Spin? You already have two 4D coasters, one of them arranged vertically just like a Free Spin. I know the GP is dumb, but not that oblivious. Unless you were talking about a Free Fly - like Tranan - which I dont know where that would have come from.

Actually, they might be dumb enough to think a new Free Spin and Green Lantern are the same ride, and skip one...

I can't see then adding another new coaster yet. That would be number 20 I believe, and knowing SFMM, #20 will be a record breaker of some sort. I still think that will come when they tear down the observation tower and build a 400+ft polercoaster in it's place.

I'd say a definite no and the S&S Free Spin, and a likely no for a Larson Loop.

The GP may be not be the smartest, but even they would find it silly to have 3 X2s in a single park.

I say no to Larson Loops for a couple reasons. Six Flags tends to advertise them as roller coasters, and I don't think they want their 20th to be a silly carnival ride. Second, the park is ACTUAL coaster heavy, meaning they're more likely to put in an actual coaster over a flat ride. Third, were they actually to install a flat ride, I would hope they would go for something higher capacity than a Larson Loop. If the park were to get a major flat, it would probably be a star flyer.

I don't find Star Flyers/Windseekers all the exciting. I'm still going for the decade-old hope for a giant frisbee one day. I'd say the park will lay low for 2016 and then go big again for 2017. We'll find out in a month or two anyway.

SFMM will not be laying low in 2016 I'm about 99 percent sure of that. If the trend holds of every park in the chain receiving something, we know the park will add something. A smaller addition that still makes some sort of statement is most likely...

I guess that's my definition of laying low then. Of course they'll add something, but there's a difference from re-doing the entire children's area vs a new record breaking coaster. I mean in terms of clientele and demographic hat magic mountain is geared towards.

Well it's the park's 45th anniversary so I'm sure they'll get something.

I remember before TC was announced, there was a rumor on Screamscape that said MM would iron horse Colossus but they weren't sure when because "the stars may align on another project first". I wonder what that other "project" was and if it's still on the agenda at some point.

I'm still going for the decade-old hope for a giant frisbee one day.

I'm going for the decades-old hope for new Revolution trains without OTSRs and a coat of paint for Tatsu. Perhaps even splurge on rehabbing Sky Tower assuming they aren't already planning on replacing it. SFMM loves to add something every year, but Twisted Colossus is the best ride they've added in such a long time I agree that it can hold it's own for at least 2 years, so I think there's never been a better time to make needed improvements to existing rides.