TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So they're getting monitors, but I don't think anybody should be too excited. Like most of the other screens around the parks, it'll play Looney Toons, fun Magic Mountain trivia, and the occasional "what kind of screaming face" commercial. I wouldn't expect any loading procedure videos on them.

EDIT: Not to mention, even if they had a video advertising "no loose articles," I can't imagine people are going to leave the line and find the means to stash their items, especially if there aren't fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo around.

I doubt any loading video would be about loose articles anyway, but rather encouraging guests to move quickly into their seats, fastening seatbelts and waiting for an op to lower the restrants. I can't be sure from that picture where that screen is being placed. Is it right above the loading part of the queue?

It also seems odd to add screens for cartoons with the screampunk music already playing so loudly in the station.

I guess we'll see...

So here is my experience on TC (I went opening day). The music in the area was kinda cool and added to the atmosphere, but got repetitive QUICKLY. The dueling of the rides seemed to be about 50/50 I would say, I only got to ride twice that day and I raced once out of those two times and from watching it in the parking lot, that seems about right. The ride ops were really moving and the people were too( although there were probably less gp than enthusiasts there so I'm not sure about a normal day). The ride is very very restrictive in terms of body size. I am a 14 year old 5 foot 10, 235 pound person, which I understand is definitely not the smallest guy out there, but there are much larger people than me that go into the park and can fit on all the other rides but not TC. I ended up getting rejected 1 out of the 3 times I attempted to ride so I was just on the limit. The ride was absolutely phenomenal and was great fun easily my number 1 ride, parts I thought were going to be rough such as the entry and exit to the green highfive were very smooth and the top gun stall racing at night was just perfect. One other complaint is the screeching sound as the train leaves the station, it hurt my ears very much and wasn't pleasant at all. Over all TC gets a 83/100 in my book.

If they play Looney Toons on those monitors in TC's queue, I will be ECSTATIC. That's what they USED to do when I visited in the 90's, and I loved every single second of it. Which is so dumb on part of the person in charge of getting this ride open, because who has watched Looney Toons recently? Who DOESN'T love Looney Toons? Wouldn't that be an awesome NOSTALGIC way to incorporate guest riding procedures with the cartoons? What if Daffy and Bugs were telling you to leave your lapbar up, and only buckle your seatbelt between cartoons? What if they told you to put your stuff in a locker? Too difficult for this park, huh? This ride doesn't even have a station spiel! Is this 2015? Am I a genius? Or are these park higher ups just absolutely brain dead?

Unfortunately, I'm afraid they're going to go the X2/Full Throttle route at a volume WAY too loud, with people I don't know yelling annoying "motivational life lesson" quotes at me, playing annoying top 40 music I've already heard a million times, and it'll be on a 20 minute loop so you hear the same crap over and over while you're standing in line. If that's the case, I'd pass on the monitors, as I'd honestly prefer peace and silence in the station.

Maybe if the park learned something after opening attractions for the past 40 years, they'd know how to prep for a ride opening appropriately. Instead of opening the ride early, maybe they should get some training and ride operating procedures down first. Get an audio spiel in the station that tells people no loose articles are allowed on the ride. Open up a locker station where the old left side of the ride viewing plaza is. There are so many things they could do and time and time again this park fails like it's a brand new astonishing concept, like they have no clue how to deal with guests, or loose articles, or ride capacity, or training.

I love this park, I want them to succeed and do well, and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to budgets and time constraints, but goddammit it's been 20+ years I've been visiting this park and still when I go it's like neanderthals are running the place.

/rant

Only in the SFMM thread will you find complaining about the lack of TV monitors/safety spiels....

Seriously. I really do dislike SFMM, but they just opened one of the best rides in the world. On time. You do realize that Disney and Universal go through the same trials when opening a ride? Adding, tweaking, and fixing things throughout the first year because even they aren't immune to making mistakes and having to make some cuts in order to get the ride open as scheduled....I've been around this industry long enough where I can state with confidence that rides very very very rarely open without operational or technical issues. It takes time to work everything out. That's reality.

The only unforgivable thing as far as I was concerned was the lack of single rider at opening. 90% of the guests waiting in line are going to ignore whatever video is playing because they have their friends and their phones to distract them.

Journey to Atlantis @ SWO had a comical loading bideo featuring a mine. I actually watches it multiple times for enjoyment. Itd be nice and effective woth something like this.

As ^ said, only enthusiasts would complain about the absense of a loading speil video in a queue. We really are a special breed of nerds in the most awesome way.

Journey to Atlantis @ SWO had a comical loading bideo featuring a mine. I actually watches it multiple times for enjoyment. Itd be nice and effective woth something like this.

As ^ said, only enthusiasts would complain about the absense of a loading speil video in a queue. We really are a special breed of nerds in the most awesome way.

We arent complaining that there's no video to watch, we're suggesting that the existence of the video may help some people load faster, speeding the line up for everyone.

^You are giving the typical SFMM guest way too much credit....
True I realize that a lot of people will ignore the screens, but at least some of them wont. This is not a big ticket item though...TV screens are a few hundred dollars each plus the brackets and labor to install them. If even 10% of people get something from the videos I still say that's money well spent.

So here is my experience on TC (I went opening day). The music in the area was kinda cool and added to the atmosphere, but got repetitive QUICKLY. The dueling of the rides seemed to be about 50/50 I would say, I only got to ride twice that day and I raced once out of those two times and from watching it in the parking lot, that seems about right. The ride ops were really moving and the people were too( although there were probably less gp than enthusiasts there so I'm not sure about a normal day). The ride is very very restrictive in terms of body size. I am a 14 year old 5 foot 10, 235 pound person, which I understand is definitely not the smallest guy out there, but there are much larger people than me that go into the park and can fit on all the other rides but not TC. I ended up getting rejected 1 out of the 3 times I attempted to ride so I was just on the limit. The ride was absolutely phenomenal and was great fun easily my number 1 ride, parts I thought were going to be rough such as the entry and exit to the green highfive were very smooth and the top gun stall racing at night was just perfect. One other complaint is the screeching sound as the train leaves the station, it hurt my ears very much and wasn't pleasant at all. Over all TC gets a 83/100 in my book.

I'm 6 ft, 260 lbs and I had no trouble at all. Not sure where you think the rrstraints are limiting. I sometimes have trouble with OTSR, but ones like TC, or Full Throttle and Superman:UF at SFDK I've never had any issues with at all

small trip report from today, July 2nd. well, maybe just some random thoughts...

sister in town with family and since TC is new and good. everyone decided to go. we used to hit every park in so cal when the kids were little, but not so much any more. got my bro in law and nephew to buy the gold pass with parking deal i got emailed to me last week for $62.99 each. great deal and i believe cheapest it's been all year.

rode TC twice today. single rider line seemed very slow. we beat it on the second ride. i wasn't paying attention the first time. even saw a train leave with one employee in the front and no one in the next two rows. lol i sat by myself on one of the rides. the grouper was barely getting the rows covered in time. so slow, so single rider wasn't always being picked from.

IMG_3411.thumb.JPG.af463b7ddab31e9016a483a667d84a07.JPG

many employees were really busy today...

IMG_3398.thumb.JPG.b1be9545456b21947b60b3fa6477131a.JPG

IMG_3416.thumb.JPG.18a059fdd959d7e5f1b75271624df8be.JPG

lol

but seriously, we had a good day. line for TC was roughly 40 minutes, 3 train operation which was nice because 2 train on monday sucked. sort of dueled once on each ride.

apocalypse is pretty crazy shaky. i couldn't keep my vision straight. i tried to keep my back of the back of the seat and it seemed a tiny bit more comfortable. i rode the newly refurbished train and the cushions are nice and cushiony. lol 2 train operation and total walk on. oh, and btw, that crew was hauling serious ass. put that crew on TC, and you'd duel every time.

i braved viper in the front row and while not horrible, i can't marathon it like i would have in the 90's. walk on and could have stayed on all day probably without getting off it was so dead. we waited one train to get the front.

batman was 2 train operation, sorry, i'm not sure if that's just been common place lately, i hadn't ridden it in some time. so, anyway, walk on too today.

scream, walk on.

drop of doom was probably roughly a 20 minute wait.

i bought an all year drink cup monday and abused it over and over today. paid for itself today alone. also took advantage of my meal plan and got a couple meals and a cookie.

oh, and here's where the monitors are in the TC line...

IMG_3405.thumb.JPG.58bfdb54caccd5d8f4dbdfb91d690292.JPG

IMG_3406.thumb.JPG.3af6b9916e9caa8bf3bf079d606bbe0a.JPG

anyway, overall good day, had fun, blah blah.

So I went to the park tonight at 6pm until 9pm. I thought I try and do some major attractions before going for the full day tomorrow. I think I did pretty well, I rode Full Throttle which had a 40 min queue. I used single rider on twisted colossus and got on in 10 mins. I waited 10 mins for Tatsu, X2, superman, and I walked onto apocalypse which was awesome. And viper, which I didn't like so much ha

Tomorrow I plan to ride all the rides I haven't ridden and then do my favourites again. I think I did okay tonight getting 7 coasters in 3 hours. It's my first time at Magic Mountain and I loved it so far

Edited by CoasterB

I'm 6 ft, 260 lbs and I had no trouble at all. Not sure where you think the rrstraints are limiting. I sometimes have trouble with OTSR, but ones like TC, or YOLOcoaster and Superman:UF at SFDK I've never had any issues with at all

That's weird, I fit very easily on everything with the exception of lex luthor where I still fit fine but am getting close the end of the seatbelt. But This the only ride where the ride ops actually told me to get off ( note that my restraint was still locked and didn't go up even a bit but they still told me to leave.)

today is the first time I heard some audio commercials in the TC que. I see two screens. powered,, on at least one. bad locations tho.

Commercials? That's what I was thinking, they probably did it so they can make money from advertisements.

So I went to the park tonight at 6pm until 9pm. I thought I try and do some major attractions before going for the full day tomorrow. I think I did pretty well, I rode YOLOcoaster which had a 40 min queue. I used single rider on twisted colossus and got on in 10 mins. I waited 10 mins for Tatsu, X2, superman, and I walked onto apocalypse which was awesome. And viper, which I didn't like so much ha

Tomorrow I plan to ride all the rides I haven't ridden and then do my favourites again. I think I did okay tonight getting 7 coasters in 3 hours. It's my first time at Magic Mountain and I loved it so far

only 10 minutes for Tatsu, X2, and Superman in the summer? Wow you got lucky.

today is the first time I heard some audio commercials in the TC que. I see two screens. powered,, on at least one. bad locations tho.

Commercials? That's what I was thinking, they probably did it so they can make money from advertisements.

it was also playing in the entire screampunk district.

^You are giving the typical SFMM guest way too much credit....
True I realize that a lot of people will ignore the screens, but at least some of them wont. This is not a big ticket item though...TV screens are a few hundred dollars each plus the brackets and labor to install them. If even 10% of people get something from the videos I still say that's money well spent.

Not sure how they broadcast content throughout the park, but I'm guessing the connection to the Six Flags Media Network (or whatever the hell they call it) was probably why it took longer.

With digital content so easy to create these days, I really wish Six Flags would create content for each specific park that has a ride from that actual park! Would it really have been so difficult to have a picture of Twisted Colossus instead of something that doesn't look like any ride at SFMM for this ad?

707044342_ScreenShot2015-07-03at06_41_06.png.663737e2d715ee206d2ad00981646385.png

With digital content so easy to create these days, I really wish Six Flags would create content for each specific park that has a ride from that actual park! Would it really have been so difficult to have a picture of Twisted Colossus instead of something that doesn't look like any ride at SFMM for this ad?

Yeah that stuff really irks me. The Six Flags New England ad with the giant photo of X2 was a serious facepalm. Like you said, how hard is it to pick a coaster from the current park. I wonder if the digital employee is even a physical park employee, they may not even know.

SF Corp. probably uses a marketing firm that uses stock images for all of the parks advertisements. Even if this is the case, SF still gives the final "OK" so there's STILL no excuse.