TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I agree that the TC crew could learn a thing or two from the Superman crew up north. Even though these two coasters have the same problem with having trains that were not designed for additional seat belts, the Superman crew can cope far better with the situation. One advantage is that they do not allow loose articles even in the station, and they have an exit that allows people to access the bunnies nearby and return to that point in the line. There is a fairly large area of the TC station being used for nothing but soda machines, so why not swap those out for some fingerprint-scan bunnies like at Universal?

Also, their bag drop arrangement is not very good as it is. If the idea of the bunnies does not work, why not place bag drops right near the edge of each car? This would give people fewer distance to walk to the bag drop and reduce overcrowding near the bins. I would be thinking something like Skyrush has, except on the opposite side of the train. (I cannot believe that I just used Skyrush as a positive example of how to design a station).

A more minor advantage to Superman is the "walk through" policy, in which they require that people walk through the gates to the edge of the train after the train stops, even if there are still people in it. On TC, ops were waiting several seconds before opening the gates, even waiting until after the lap bars released.

But what was most annoying of all these factors was the fact that the ops did not seem to care much about dueling, anyway. I noticed several examples of when the ops actually finished checking the restraints in time, but would take their sweet time walking back to the op gates and doing the visual scan, so the train would be just a few seconds short of dueling. Why would you get 90% of the way toward a goal, only to conclude that you do not care right at the very end?

I really should be able to duel more than 5 times over a span of 27 rides. But, what is also somewhat sad is that the TC crew is still one of the most efficient in the park.

I have to say, I've been very impressed by the TC crew. But they need to be armed with the tools to make dispatching the trains much faster. A test seat, mandatory storage units, and a strict loose article policy.

TC and Full Throttle need video screens to show the loading process (including seatbelts).

Otherwise, I don't care how good they are, it's not going to work.

..........Why would you get 90% of the way toward a goal, only to conclude that you do not care right at the very end?

Well...... what park is this again?

Maybe if they really cared about the job, were better motivated by park management, or had some incentive instead of just getting paid to hang around and push buttons the dispatches would be better.

I have to say, I've been very impressed by the TC crew. But they need to be armed with the tools to make dispatching the trains much faster. A test seat, mandatory storage units, and a strict loose article policy.

TC and YOLOcoaster need video screens to show the loading process (including seatbelts).

Otherwise, I don't care how good they are, it's not going to work.

I think every RMC Coaster should have a seat outside of the entrance for people to test.

if they just simply announced, hurry your ass up, don't mess around, that would sure help. a video of how to get in and out, like star tours/soarin over california. how many times to they repeat at cedar point, seatbelt first, lap bar second, over and over. i know it will be ignored by many, but also not ignored by many.

it's not hard to expect some hustle in a ride operator. management just needs to stress that and make it part of the job. not strolling back to position. let's also not forget that when it duels, it's because the green lift is slower than ever now. so i think they even have more time than the way the program was running during the commercial shoot.

it seems so easy when these things are done by other parks. lol

When Apocalypse first opened at Six Flags America, the operators would count down over the intercom to get people moving. You usually had about 30 seconds to get in there, put your stuff down, and get your seat in a comfortable position - and it absolutely worked every time. You'd have some people who needed an adjustment, but it's amazing what people are willing to rush through if you just give them the motivation.

When Apocalypse first opened at Six Flags America, the operators would count down over the intercom to get people moving. You usually had about 30 seconds to get in there, put your stuff down, and get your seat in a comfortable position - and it absolutely worked every time. You'd have some people who needed an adjustment, but it's amazing what people are willing to rush through if you just give them the motivation.

they were actually doing that on monday. well, i heard it at least one of my two rides.

but like the flashing clock on goliath, still didn't motivate too much.

if they just simply announced, hurry your A$$ up, don't mess around, that would sure help. a video of how to get in and out, like star tours/soarin over california. how many times to they repeat at cedar point, seatbelt first, lap bar second, over and over. i know it will be ignored by many, but also not ignored by many.

Or like KBF who has the midly entertaining video playing that gives loading instructions for Silver Bullet. Something like that (especially if done as a humorous skit or something similarly entertaining that "tricks" people into paying attention) would go a long way.

I have the perfect solution. Put a countdown clock at the front of the station, and if the people cannot make it into their seat in time, the floor opens up and they fall into a tank of hungry sharks. Too barbaric???

Personally, I think the only way to get people moving quicker is by either banning bags from the station (ie Dragster at CP), or putting in place some kind of punishment if guests cannot make it in time, like not allowing them to ride. I do not see the latter happening as it would cause too much of an uproar or protest.

if they just simply announced, hurry your A$$ up, don't mess around, that would sure help. a video of how to get in and out, like star tours/soarin over california. how many times to they repeat at cedar point, seatbelt first, lap bar second, over and over. i know it will be ignored by many, but also not ignored by many.

Or like KBF who has the midly entertaining video playing that gives loading instructions for Silver Bullet. Something like that (especially if done as a humorous skit or something similarly entertaining that "tricks" people into paying attention) would go a long way.

yeah, they can play it on the monitors in the que...oh wait. LOL

Not a huge expense to put a couple large monitors in the que. SFDK has monitors in a lot of the queues playing looney toons, I think a few rides at SFMM have something similar. Putting a couple flat screens in there with an instructional video would pay off in saved money from efficiency.

Not a huge expense to put a couple large monitors in the que. SFDK has monitors in a lot of the queues playing looney toons, I think a few rides at SFMM have something similar. Putting a couple flat screens in there with an instructional video would pay off in saved money from efficiency.

i'm with you there. unexplainable imo why they aren't there. along with the on ride photo. etc. etc.

i'm with you there. unexplainable imo why they aren't there. along with the on ride photo. etc. etc.

The on ride photo business is a relic of the last decade. There's not much money in it anymore.

Regarding monitors...If I'm the Twisted Colossus project manager, that's pretty low on my list of priorities.

The on ride photo business is a relic of the last decade. There's not much money in it anymore.

Regarding monitors...If I'm the Twisted Colossus project manager, that's pretty low on my list of priorities.

might not be at magic mountain, but other parks eat that stuff up. always lines to get them last year at CP, SFGAM and King's Island when i was there, including me. lol well, because they had the 1 dollar pictures from six flags, and buy all day photos at CP and SFGAM.

anyway, no monitors just shows a low budget, like the cheap wall, scream "3d" sign, and all the wrap graphics.

^Considering this is the first time in a long time SFMM has actually got a ride open on time, I can understand why they'd worry about non-essential items until after the ride opens.

You also stated exactly why on ride photos aren't worth the investment for parks anymore: they're resorting to deals and packages to sell them. For the same price of what used to only get you ONE photo, you now get all of them. Great for you if want the photos, but no so good for the park...

So they're getting monitors, but I don't think anybody should be too excited. Like most of the other screens around the parks, it'll play Looney Toons, fun Magic Mountain trivia, and the occasional "what kind of screaming face" commercial. I wouldn't expect any loading procedure videos on them.

EDIT: Not to mention, even if they had a video advertising "no loose articles," I can't imagine people are going to leave the line and find the means to stash their items, especially if there aren't lockers around.

I was at the Mountain today and good news! Now 2 trains on Riddler and Apocalypse. I also spoke with a rideop and she said regarding Goliath, she is scheduled to work the ride next Friday. Not sure the accuracy of that comment, but just wanted to share the good news (I hope).