TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Thanks for the video! That does look pretty intense. While I don't think the park needs a lot more flat rides, I think it does need a bit more diversity in the whole package. Attractions like Justice League for example. The entertainment side of the park is not amazing, but i give them credit for trying on the budget. Can't recall the last time I saw something amazing in the theater next to Riddler's for example.

Thanks for the video! That does look pretty intense. While I don't think the park needs a lot more flat rides, I think it does need a bit more diversity in the whole package. Attractions like Justice League for example. The entertainment side of the park is not amazing, but i give them credit for trying on the budget. Can't recall the last time I saw something amazing in the theater next to Riddler's for example.

Lemme check. Okay, this is still the SFMM thread...

Going to SFMM for the first time, what would you guys compare the roughness of x2 to? Also I know Goliath is closed but if it was open would it be a coaster you have to ride?

The roughness can wildly vary based on your seat and weight distribution. Inside seats tend to be smoother. Row 1 inside seat is my personal favorite. Goliath is a must-ride when open.

Going to SFMM for the first time, what would you guys compare the roughness of x2 to? Also I know Goliath is closed but if it was open would it be a coaster you have to ride?

although i'm one of the ones who doesn't bother riding X2 anymore, i think it's a must ride at least once if you never have. then, i'm sure you'll either love it or hate it. it's very unique, so i think it's good to ride.

goliath, depending on what hyper coaster you're able to ride near you, might be skipped if you're pressed for time. i still ride it a lot because i like big drops, and that's about all that's near me.

just my 2 cents

The best thing you can do while riding X2 is relax and don't fight it. Let it throw you around, it hurts less. Also, I've found the inside seat in the last row to be the smoothest.

Ride X2. It's one of my favorites, and the GP loves it. It's really intense just because of the pure craziness of the controlled flipping. I've had a few rough rides and imo it's worth the roughness. Even if you don't re-ride it's definitely worth riding at least once.

Goliath is a good ride, but one worth skipping if pressed for time. It's not my favorite hyper coaster by any means but it does pull some fun g-forces on the final helix. The 1st drop is very disappointing if you've ever been on any other hyper. Almost no airtime and not very steep at all. If you've never ridden a hyper, though, you should try and get on for sure.

^It may vary when in August you go. The latter part of August may be less crowded as schools are back in session and the summer seasons begins to slowly die down. The lines will also depend on how many trains a coaster is running. Assuming each coaster is running two trains, I found that I never had to wait more than 30-45 minutes for a single coaster. The only exceptions would be Tatsu, X2, and Füll Throttle since they're the most popular, and probably Twisted Colossus as it's the newest.

If anything is running one train, waits can be significantly longer. Summer '06, I waited 90 minutes for a ride on Batman that was running one train.

I'm probably in the minority, but I never find need to purchase a flashpass, especially if you spend the entire day there. I actually miss when the flashpasses were cheap and were four little stubs that you could use on pretty much any ride.

Someone taking one swing of a baseball bat to your calf while you're in the last raven turn...cause that's exactly what it feels like.

I find Goliath relaxing. The station almost always has a cool breeze running through it and the coaster itself is nice and smooth. I ride Goliath to recharge..it's not a "must ride" but I'd be disappointed if it was down.

Hey everyone. I'm planning on going to SFMM in August. Can anyone give me an estimate on how long waits typically are around that time of the year for each coaster? Thanks

Augusts are very busy (before school is back in anyway), and really really really hot. If you're going on a Saturday, expect 1hr+ on almost all major coasters and water rides. On a "not so busy today" generally 15-30 on minor coasters such as Ninja or Revolution, Probably average about 60-90 on Tatsu, 60+ on X2 and YOLO. Twisted Colossus I havent seen myself, but so far I've been hearing waits of 30-45 most days now that the ops are in a groove, but it also has a lot of down time.

Riddler only has one train so that is a long wait (60+ probably) so take advantage of Single Rider line. Scream has been having longer lines than usual lately, not uncommon to see it coming out of the entrance.

X2 is about as rough as your average Arrow (IMO)...I've definitely ridden smoother, but I've also ridden worse. Also, the time of day you ride on it makes a sizable difference...it gets rougher as the day goes on. First thing in the morning, front row, inside seat (either inside or outside, actually) is respectably smooth (or, perhaps more appropriately, not rough). After 4, when the line tends to die down (though, not always), it's appreciably rougher. I definitely had a light headache when I came off the ride last time I rode it in the afternoon. However, it went away after 10-15 minutes, and I was ready for another go (I'm one of those people who really enjoys the ride).

Goliath is a great ride, one of my favorites in the park. Big, fun, and still every bit as smooth as it was when it opened. Yeah, it isn't an airtime machine, but I still find it to be immensely enjoyable.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps. Have fun at the Mountain!

Rode TC a total of 27 times over the past Saturday and Sunday.

The things that I have to say about it include:

-It is the best ride in the park by far. My top seven are now:

1. El Toro

2. Texas Giant

3. Phoenix

4. Twisted Colossus

5. Maverick

6. Intimidator 305

7. Phantom's Revenge

-Texas Giant is the one other RMC I have ridden, so it is quite impressive that both of these are in my top five. As it stands, I think that Texas Giant is the better of the two, but that does not make Colossus any less impressive. I might consider ranking Colossus up with Texas Giant if the dueling was consistent, but it is unfortunately quite rare.

-I did not like the RMC trains as much as I did the Gerstlauer trains on Texas Giant. Even with the shields, the Texas Giant trains seemed to have more arm space. Due to this, I liked sitting on the left side far more than the right side, because most of the laterals are to the right and can slam the side of your body into them.

-Additionally, the seatbelts are quite annoying. The buckles rest under the large, thigh-crushing RMC lap bars, so it cause some bruising on my thighs from multiple rerides. However, what I did like about TC is that the ops do not staple you in as much as on other coasters of similar intensity, like El Toro or Texas Giant. This was a huge plus, especially on one ride in which I was lucky enough to have the op leave a fairly reasonable amount of space between me and the lap bar, resulting some of the most insane airtime I had ever experienced. (I think that this un-stapled ride beat out a normal ride on NTAG and El Toro for me, but a similar ride on either of these two would probably beat out TC)

-On Saturday, it had the best capacity of any coaster at SFMM, despite rarely dueling. However, on Sunday it ran two trains instead of three, so wait times actually increased despite fewer crowds.

-Overall, it is a solid ride that is a fantastic addition to the park and should easily be in anyone's top ten, but I also wish that it could have been built in a different park that could operate it better (i.e. more dueling).

-Overall, it is a solid ride that is a fantastic addition to the park and should easily be in anyone's top ten, but I also wish that it could have been built in a different park that could operate it better (i.e. more dueling).

It gets even more depressing when you realize between original Colossus and Twisted Colossus, this park has had multiple decades to learn/train how to load & release trains for racing/dueling. It should be old hat, and yet, every day is as though this is the first racing/dueling coaster ever built, and they're trying to figure it out or they've just given up. Sad.

I went for the first time in 4 years Saturday and was able to ride TC 5 times, amazing ride, nothing else needs to be said about it by now.

As much as people dislike them, they really need mandatory personal storage devices on this ride. The main reason why there was no dueling was from guests lagging to get across put their stuff down and then figure out how to get into the trains. I understand why some are slow, they're nervous etc, just the nature of the beast. Twice while waiting there were people that put their purse aside sit down lock restrains then ask to get out to put their cellphone in their purse. All 3 trains stacked both times I witnessed this. But for the most part there was rarely stacking all day. Also saw 3 walk of shames. They really need a test seat out front.

I went for the first time in 4 years Saturday and was able to ride TC 5 times, amazing ride, nothing else needs to be said about it by now.

As much as people dislike them, they really need mandatory personal storage devices on this ride. The main reason why there was no dueling was from guests lagging to get across put their stuff down and then figure out how to get into the trains. I understand why some are slow, they're nervous etc, just the nature of the beast. Twice while waiting there were people that put their purse aside sit down lock restrains then ask to get out to put their cellphone in their purse. All 3 trains stacked both times I witnessed this. But for the most part there was rarely stacking all day. Also saw 3 walk of shames. They really need a test seat out front.

Yeah I think at the very least they need to do something with signs or audio announcements to warn people about how easy it is for things to fly out so that they know ahead of time and that doesnt happen. Ideally I agree there should be mandatory bunnies for this TC just like X2.

Up north at SFDK, Superman is a coaster that has a very quick pop of strong airtime coming up the first hill that can eject things from pockets as shown in Robb's video, a very slow barrel roll that can dump things out of your pants pockets, and for the back row or 2 another bit of ejector airtime coming down the hill after the bill roll. This park, to it's credit, always has an employee standing at the entrance to the queue (next to a large bank of bunnies). That employee visually scans any guest for any loose items and doesnt allow them to enter if they see anything and can instruct guests if theyre unsure about what they can bring on. Theyre very strict about loose articles because they know how easily those loose articles can become dangerous projectiles. I can't remember the last time I saw a problem as you described happening on that coaster.

I think it's extremely noteworthy that with a ride that only holds a max of one train of 12 people that should be a capacity nightmare, they do an oustanding job pushing people through it and other parks, especially SFMM, should follow their lead. SFMM should set up a bank of bunnies like this outside the entrance to TC and have an employee there to screen people as best as possible. There's always going to be the juvenile delinquents that sneak things on purpose, but this should at least cut way down on the ones that do it inadvertently.

Yeah I think at the very least they need to do something with signs or audio announcements to warn people about how easy it is for things to fly out so that they know ahead of time and that doesnt happen. Ideally I agree there should be mandatory bunnies for this TC just like X2.

Up north at SFDK, Superman is a coaster that has a very quick pop of strong airtime coming up the first hill that can eject things from pockets as shown in Robb's video, a very slow barrel roll that can dump things out of your pants pockets, and for the back row or 2 another bit of ejector airtime coming down the hill after the bill roll. This park, to it's credit, always has an employee standing at the entrance to the queue (next to a large bank of bunnies). That employee visually scans any guest for any loose items and doesnt allow them to enter if they see anything and can instruct guests if theyre unsure about what they can bring on. Theyre very strict about loose articles because they know how easily those loose articles can become dangerous projectiles. I can't remember the last time I saw a problem as you described happening on that coaster.

I think it's extremely noteworthy that with a ride that only holds a max of one train of 12 people that should be a capacity nightmare, they do an oustanding job pushing people through it and other parks, especially SFMM, should follow their lead. SFMM should set up a bank of bunnies like this outside the entrance to TC and have an employee there to screen people as best as possible. There's always going to be the juvenile delinquents that sneak things on purpose, but this should at least cut way down on the ones that do it inadvertently.

yeah, it's silly that they don't once announce no loose articles on the ride. yesterday, i saw someone told to take their fanny pack off. also saw multiple hate being thrown to the side, which an operator then had to pick up and put in a bin. only rode twice and saw 3 walks of shame, which i knew were all coming seeing them in line. some people behind me were told to put there phone away, then promptly pulled it out for some awesome shaky pov action throughout. i swear SFMM must have the most crappy pov videos on youtube. seems like every day, a new crap TC video is posted.

i was lucky enough to duel once on each of my rides. but, they would hold the train in the station until the other came back to give them the best chance. great capacity move there when only running two trains on a busy day.