TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The Goliath debacle makes me wonder which other rides perhaps might not be up to code. Batman has been sounding and riding like crap, Apocalypse is the roughest it's ever been, and Riddler rarely has more than 1 train running and that's IF it is even open.

I know MM loves the retaining record for the most coasters but it doesn't seem like they can keep up with them.

The Goliath debacle makes me wonder which other rides perhaps might not be up to code. Batman has been sounding and riding like crap, Apocalypse is the roughest it's ever been, and Riddler rarely has more than 1 train running and that's IF it is even open.

I know MM loves the retaining record for the most coasters but it doesn't seem like they can keep up with them.

Poor operations/low effort in making them smooth rides have nothing to do with safety codes.

Poor operations/low effort in making them smooth rides have nothing to do with safety codes.

Isn't proper maintenance part of safety? (ie The Mindbender in Edmonton)

Yeah, how dare they properly maintain a ride. Keeping the guests happy by opening the ride is much more important than keeping them safe by keeping the ride up to code.

So you know for certain fact that there is no possible way that Goliath's lift chain could be repaired any faster without disregarding safety of the riders? I'd be interested to know how you know that.

Yeah, how dare they properly maintain a ride. Keeping the guests happy by opening the ride is much more important than keeping them safe by keeping the ride up to code.

So you know for certain fact that there is no possible way that Goliath's lift chain could be repaired any faster without disregarding safety of the riders? I'd be interested to know how you know that.

I dont think I said anything of the kind, nor did the person who reported it was being repaired. They discovered a problem they werent aware of it, and they elected to repair it instead of ignoring it and potentially putting people at risk.

Lift refurb doesn't sound just like a broken chain. That could be fixed relatively quickly.

Inspectors are Nazis with the following of safety standards, and if they don't like how a step felt on the catwalk, they could force the park to replace the whole thing if they wanted to.

That ferris wheel is laughable. Did the local carnival set up at the wrong fairgrounds?

I dont think I said anything of the kind, nor did the person who reported it was being repaired. They discovered a problem they werent aware of it, and they elected to repair it instead of ignoring it and potentially putting people at risk.

Well you didn't quote a post but I figured you were replying to the post above yours which called the current pace of the chain repair ludicrous, and stated the park has no real interest in quickly repairing the chain since a closed ride means less money spent on labor. Your post implied if repairs were being done faster, guests would be put at risk. I don't know how you can know that.

EDIT: Missed the post about the inspection findings. A separate problem does take more time, but an additional 3 months of downtime only furthers the frustrations people have about that park.

EDIT: Missed the post about the inspection findings. A separate problem does take more time, but an additional 3 months of downtime only furthers the frustrations people have about that park.
Yeah, I was talking about their decision to keep the ride down longer to refurb the lift, not the speed, which is definitely slower. Im guessing that's due to staffing.

I hope they at least turn on the Ferris Wheel, but knowing Magic Mountain they will probably just let it sit there, then they will add it to their rides count without getting it operational. Maybe this counts as themeing for SF?

I saw this exact model ferris wheel at the last carnival I was at. This same carnival also had a super loop as well, so it would not surprise me if SF is showing a willingness to install off-the-shelf rides made for travelling carnivals. (Well technically compacts Schwarzkopfs and the Euro-Star are made for travel, but these are a league of their own).

Oh yeah, and TC isn''t squeaking at all anymore. Not on the turn out of the station or anywhere else!! I also had rides with insane amounts of airtime, like hurting my thighs, and lamer rides with barely any ejector, all in the same row today! It's strange!

Okay, so... TC and the racing again...

I keep seeing videos where the synchronization of the racing is off because the Blue side is ahead of the Green side... Why is this happening? Blue has to catch up to Green on the lift, so it's understandable that Green would be ahead of Blue, but why in the world would the programming of the lift allow the trains to line up evenly and then get off again?

Just saw Jurassic World today...some of the rides in that movie are cool and one of the ride operators is funny. The main street in the movie was filmed at the old Six Flags New Orleans.

And reminds us of SFMM, wanting the next bigger, faster, scarier ride.

Okay, so... TC and the racing again...

I keep seeing videos where the synchronization of the racing is off because the Blue side is ahead of the Green side... Why is this happening? Blue has to catch up to Green on the lift, so it's understandable that Green would be ahead of Blue, but why in the world would the programming of the lift allow the trains to line up evenly and then get off again?

Thank you! I totally forgot to bring this up! This happened to me many times yesterday. On one of my rides where we dueled both laps, the blue went down first. The problem is that the computer is programmed to have the trains line up at the top of the lift. Since the two lift chains (and therefore trains) are traveling at different speeds, the blue will go over AND DOWN the drop faster than the green. The computer program needs to be fixed to account for this. But the reason why it happens is just because the blue goes over the top and drops at a greater speed than the green, causing them to not sync up very well.