TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^Well since you used to work at KBF, where they blamed Intamin for their manual as the reason they weren't doing the maintenance correctly...I can see why you would say that.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

It's very sad this happened, I hope people will pay more attention to those warning signs ( about medical conditions ). There is a sick click bait headlined article from The Inqusisitr: "Six Flags Magic Mountain To Blame For 10-Year-Old’s Death". Couldn't even wait for the coroners report, I hope those reporters get in trouble for misleading click bait articles

First theyd have to actually be reporters. Thats the problem, anyone can upload something to a website they create and call it "news" without any kind of training or integrity.

I heard the Goliath chain had arrived early last week and the ride was supposed to open by this past weekend. Hadnt heard any confirmation of it opening, though. Perhaps the Revolution incident sidetracked the maintenance staff.

^The thing is though, that the ride isn't directly responsible for her death, and she had a pre-existing medical condition that played the main role here. There's no one to directly blame here really, not even the rider because she was only 10 and wouldnt know not to ride.

When this park is going about its daily business, enthusiasts bash it to hell. When a ride is responsible for someones death, enthusiasts are quick to blame it not on the park, but the rider. This does not make any sense to me.
Makes perfect sense to me, if by "when a ride is responsible" you mean "when a ride is suspected of being responsible". There isn't any evidence that Revolution caused this girl's death, and quite the opposite.

It's EXTREMELY rare that a ride (meaning the design or manufacturing of the ride and/or vehicles) would actually be responsible for injuring a rider. Occaisonally it's maintenance oversight/neglect (BTMRR 2003), random accidents (Ninja), or unauthorized modifications (Terra Mitica) but the majority of incidents that I have seen or read about have been a combination of rider and/or operator error.

I only personally know of one incident where injuries were caused by the design of the ride. The old Hurricane coaster at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk hurt some people the first day it was open in 1992 (I was there that day but didn't ride). A majority of the people getting off the ride that day complained of neck pain and some were taken to the hospital. I remember being told that steep drop/turn was being taken too fast and the ride was closed, modified, and reopened later. I guess they didn't do enough human rider testing before opening...I don't think such a mistake would be likely to happen anymore.

When this park is going about its daily business, enthusiasts bash it to hell. When a ride is responsible for someones death, enthusiasts are quick to blame it not on the park, but the rider. This does not make any sense to me.

What do you think happened when the roller coaster train returns without some sort of collision and everyone else on the ride is okay? We all know the ride is old and rough; but it is not rough enough to kill a normal person.

No no it's all the riders fault for having a condition. That doesn't sit right with me.

It's no one's fault including Revolution... It's like someone not knowing they have an allergy to shellfish eating a bucket of crab legs for the first time. The crab legs are safe for everyone else who doesn't share that same allergy, should the restaurant stop serving them in case someone else with an unbeknownst allergy consumes them?

This is just a terrible, unfortunate occurence... Revolution is almost 40 years old, and with the exception of an ill-informed employee...has a perfect safety record.

Air tickets are bought, rental car is set, July 10th is the date. (Friday) My final question is what is the ideal way to go about the park. In the past it would be run for X2 but will Colossus be worse now? Coasters I intend to leave out for various reasons, Riddle's Revenge, Scream, Batman, and Green Lantern. We will be trying to snag a Honda for early entry either way we will be there at opening leaving around 5:30. Flash Pass is out of question.

I'm not saying the park is guilty of letting her die or anything. They aren't responsible in this situation. But I have a hard time believing that Revolution had nothing to do with it. No no it's all the riders fault for having a condition. That doesn't sit right with me.

So does that also means that cars should be outlawed because a driver who has had no previous signs of heart disease suddenly has a heart attack, dies behind the wheel, and accidentally kills pedestrians?

And so it's the park's fault for the guest having a pre existing health condition?

It has been determined that REVOLUTION WAS NOT AT FAULT, the girl had a previous, apparently unknown health condition that lead to her unfortunate death... NOT because the ride caused it.

It's tragic and unfortunate and there was nothing anyone could have done about it.

For all anyone knows she could have dropped dead in the car on the way there.

If one has a medical condition they don't know about, say an unknown brain tumor or a heart issue, or hell if someone has something like heat stroke in the California summer heat + drought then it's not ultimately the ride's fault. Even if it may have theoretically initiated a process that ended up killing someone it's unfortunately a fact of life that these things happen, that's why there are warnings and the requirement that you're in good health before doing anything like riding a roller coaster, white water rafting, skydiving, whatever. Especially with someone like a ten year old child- often times things aren't diagnosed or caught due to appearing otherwise healthy at that age range, and if I was a betting man I'd say it's the likely cause as that happens infinitely more frequently than a regular accident.

Air tickets are bought, rental car is set, July 10th is the date. (Friday) My final question is what is the ideal way to go about the park. In the past it would be run for X2 but will Colossus be worse now? Coasters I intend to leave out for various reasons, Riddle's Revenge, Scream, Batman, and Green Lantern. We will be trying to snag a Honda for early entry either way we will be there at opening leaving around 5:30. Flash Pass is out of question.

If your group is small then you could take advantage of the Single Rider line that Twisted Colossus has and ride that anytime. In that case I'd start off with YOLOCoaster and work my way around and hit X2 after 4pm. If you're in a large group or not willing to split up, then you might want to start at Twisted Colossus. If Superman is a priority you might want to do that early too, it can get out of hand sometimes and isn't likely to be running both sides on a Friday.

Magic Mountain Trivia: Twisted Colossus is not the first use of "twist" in name of a ride at Magic Mountain.

Sierra Twist...may it RIP

Close. Sierra Twist was originally named Swiss Twist.

I'm not saying the park is guilty of letting her die or anything. They aren't responsible in this situation. But I have a hard time believing that Revolution had nothing to do with it. No no it's all the riders fault for having a condition. That doesn't sit right with me.

So does that also means that cars should be outlawed because a driver who has had no previous signs of heart disease suddenly has a heart attack, dies behind the wheel, and accidentally kills pedestrians?

And so it's the park's fault for the guest having a pre existing health condition?

It has been determined that REVOLUTION WAS NOT AT FAULT, the girl had a previous, apparently unknown health condition that lead to her unfortunate death... NOT because the ride caused it.

It's tragic and unfortunate and there was nothing anyone could have done about it.

For all anyone knows she could have dropped dead in the car on the way there.

I am going to expand on your driving example, since driving is not designed for high g-forces. Roller coasters exert forces onto the body, and who says that that did not AGGRAVATE (not originate the problem) of the previous condition. However, the rider still is at blame for participating, and unfortunately she passed away.

None of this is to say that Revolution and her condition conflicted at all (which if they did would again be her risk/fault), and that the condition would have lead to her untimely death anyway, with or without riding the Revolution.

Back to the driving: So you have a genetic panic disorder of some sort and someone cuts in front of you. You panic and lose control if the vehicle, crashing yourself but not hurting the other. Who is to blame? The driver assumed the risk of driving with his condition, and the pedestrian should nit have crossed. Either way, the car isn't to blame.

Wrapping up: Revolution COULD have aggravated her problem (depending on the medical-condition), but even if, she still (knowingly?) took the risk of riding the ride. Revolution would not be to blame in any case.

My prayers go to her family.

Went to the mountain. It was an ok day.

1st ride I went on was TC, the line was backed up down towards scream but was only a 35 minute wait. (3 train op). the ride ops got the hang of it since the commercial shoot but I can honestly say I hate this "assigned seating" crap they're doing. A GP asked me was the orange and green ride (Goliath) part of TC o_O

Btw they need to do something with Viper..... Never again

Oh yeah and some girl passed out right after getting off tidal wave...... The water ride

Oh no, a girl passed out on TW, shut it down it's a death trap!

Wasn't intending it that way, just was thinking about what happened with revolution but I guess

Shhh, don't tell the media, they will make it 1,000,000 worse than it actually is and then list every bad thing that has ever happened at MM over the last 3 decades to paint the park as a dangerous place to go, completely overlooking the fact and failing to report that driving in your car to the park is actually 1,000,000 more dangerous than riding any ride at the park. They always seem to conveniently forget that fact.