TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I rode Revolution and Viper for the first time in a few years last night during ERT, and Revolution is definitely the more painful of the two. There was always headbanging on Rev but it was relatively smooth in the past, now it seems not to track very well.

^ It was painful until I learned to lean forward during the entire ride so that it is impossible to hit my head. Now I can ride it 10 times in a row. But yes, it is another ride that needs Yolo-type restraints instead of the upper body restraint.

Since Six Flags is probably too cheap to buy new trains, they should start a GoFundMe account to pay for new trains. I bet it would fund.

i ride a lot of OTR rides like an ostrich stretching their head out. so, i don't bang my head too often. works better for me than holding it hard against the headrest and feeling every bump in the track or wheels.

revolution is so uncomfortable. the seats, the OTR's, the lap bar. it all seems in the wrong place for me. i can still enjoy a front seat ride though.

Another solution is to sell a head cushion that looks like a helmet so that hitting your head is no longer painful. They could decorate such a cushion with Superhero logos. I think people would wear them considering they are willing to wear capes at MM.

Bad move on their part keeping the ride open. It literally just killed someone.

We don't know that the coaster "just killed someone."

There is no evidence to suggest that this was in any way ride related.

She may have had a pre-existing condition which would mean that the coaster is not to blame.

^^Sorry, I was being unclear. I knew the details of the incident. I was just wondering if there had been any mention of a pre-existing condition.

Still sad news and always a tragedy. My thoughts are with this family.

Given it was reported here that the ride was open this weekend I would assume SFMM was given the all clear (that it was not related to the ride) otherwise it would be closed. Right?

True. If someone died and the ride is already open, that says to me that it was a preexisting condition and they know that the condition caused it.

Bad move on their part keeping the ride open. It literally just killed someone.

Close it down and get rid of the otsrs so they stop giving riders a fuc*ing concussion.

Update: I saw an article in the LA times today that said that right after the incident while the girl was still in the hospital, the park had determined that it was not caused by the ride and they had reopened the ride. Now that the girl has passed away in the hospital, they have closed the ride down again for investigation.

The theme park said Jasmine came into the ride station unconscious. Later that day, state officials determined it wasn’t related to the operation to the ride and reopened the attraction. But now that Jasmine has died, the ride has been temporarily closed as they review the incident.

“There is no evidence to suggest that this was in any way ride related,” the park said. “We do not know if there was a pre-existing condition.”

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-girl-dies-magic-mountain-ride-20150615-story.html

The park has no say on whether the ride opens or not when a death like that occurs. They have to report it to the state and the state makes the decision based on what the park tells them. My guess it that based on the initial reports and what her condition was at the time in the hospital, the park and state felt comfortable in allowing it to re-open.

Closing the ride again since she passed away is also standard procedure in California, as the ride is technically a crime scene until it can be officially ruled out by the Sheriff no criminal negligence was responsible. After the Sheriff's are done, the state will come in to verify all safety systems work properly, maintenance is being done, ride ops were trained, etc. before allowing it to reopen.

ABC as well. abc7.com/news/10-year-old-girls-death-was-from-natural-causes-not-from-six-flags-roller-coaster-accident/787987/

VALENCIA, Calif. (KABC) -- The 10-year-old Somis girl who died after losing consciousness during a Six Flags roller coaster died from natural causes and not from an accident on the ride, the coroner said.

Jasmine Martinez was found passed out after riding the Revolution roller coaster at the amusement park on Friday and died a day later.

The coroner said Tuesday that Martinez died of natural causes and not from an accident. However, there were no further details on the girl's health condition.

Her family has yet to release any statements regarding her death.

Hopefully the park has all of their opening checklists, maintenance sign off records and staff training records in order.

LOL why wouldn't they?

Each and every ride in the park gets inspected and checked off every day by an electrician and ride mechanic before opening to the public. Its not like they skip a few days here and there or forget every once in a while, it's every. Single. Day the ride opens to the public.

Sounds like standard procedures and the ride will be open again soon I'm sure.

Hopefully the park has all of their opening checklists, maintenance sign off records and staff training records in order.

LOL why wouldn't they?

Each and every ride in the park gets inspected and checked off every day by an electrician and ride mechanic before opening to the public. Its not like they skip a few days here and there or forget every once in a while, it's every. Single. Day the ride opens to the public.

Sounds like standard procedures and the ride will be open again soon I'm sure.

I'm all too aware of the morning procedures of an amusement park. Having worked at KBF and DLR (Currently) both in attractions I know first hand that things happen. I never said MM doesn't have their sh*t together. I just know first hand the doors that are opened with DOSH,CALOSHA, attorneys, etc..... when you don't have everything dialed in.

Because it's easy to lose paperwork when you're not careful. Especially in a big park.

This.

It's very sad this happened, I hope people will pay more attention to those warning signs ( about medical conditions ). There is a sick click bait headlined article from The Inqusisitr: "Six Flags Magic Mountain To Blame For 10-Year-Old’s Death". Couldn't even wait for the coroners report, I hope those reporters get in trouble for misleading click bait articles

Edited by hollowsounds

^^Well since you used to work at KBF, where they blamed Intamin for their manual as the reason they weren't doing the maintenance correctly...I can see why you would say that.

In reality though, AB850 (the state law that governs amusement rides) has strict requirements for document control. SFMM's operations might suck, but I highly doubt they don't properly archive their paperwork for at least the 3 years that is required by the law. That gets audited at least twice a year (once officially by the state and once by an independent 3rd party).

I haven't really heard much about Goliath's chain recently. Does anyone know whats going on? Has the new chain arrived yet? last thing I heard was that a chain had been ordered from Japan.

Apparently that's the latest. They're just waiting for the chain to get there.

I haven't really heard much about Goliath's chain recently. Does anyone know whats going on? Has the new chain arrived yet? last thing I heard was that a chain had been ordered from Japan.

wasn't it opening this upcoming weekend?