TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Paying the extra $$ to fly into Burbank is definitely worth it. The park is closer and you won't hit much traffic going northbound on the 5 in the morning

Flying to Burbank is usually about the same price as LAX assuming equal availability, he was worried about the flight times not matching up with when he wanted to get there and leave. SNA (John Wayne, Santa Ana) is the airport that historically has had higher prices due to airport taxes there, though on my last few trips it's not been as bad. I still don't like the location of that airport though...its kind of a pain to get in and out of with rental cars. Burbank is in my opinion by far the easiest airport to deal with in all regards - security, traffic, parking, rental car pickup and return, and ease of travel within the airport are all better. You'll spend far less time at the airport between rental car pickup/dropoff, security, and going to gate. Everything is very close together at BUR since it's small. Only problem with BUR is it feels like its about 25 years behind the times. Very few outlets, no charging stations, they don't even have jetways, you still board and deplane via stairs outside on the tarmac.

My point though was even if there's a Burbank flight thats 30 or 45 minutes later in the morning or too early in the evening, youll still save time using Burbank instead of LAX. Los Angeles weekday traffic is a nightmare the likes of which you do not want to become familiar. You could probably get to SFMM from Bakersfield faster than from LAX. The route between BUR and SFMM avoids most of that traffic since BUR is almost at the northernmost point of LA and SFMM is north of that.

^Exactly, the last flight out of Burbank was before 6. Would it still be worth it?

that's cutting a lot of the day out, imo. even 8:30 i think is. but if i'm traveling, i like to close the park and be the last car in the parking lot. lol

Magic Mountain really dropped the ball with organizing the Twisted Colossus station in a way that could help increase capacity and allow for a single rider line. Instead they half assed it, didn't think it through, are doing the same BS layouts that don't work, they put up a wall, and are only using HALF the room they had! Ridiculous.

They had the ENTIRE station to make room for paid storage, proper single rider lines, station organization, in a way that could really maximize capacity with as little staff as possible. I would argue a majority of posters on here could draw a layout of the loading side of the station which would allow a grouper to deal with single riders, and group "standby" riders. Including an area where people could use paid storage BEFORE they even got to the loading gates.

Instead they don't have a proper operating single rider line, the organization and layout is poor, and they have cubbies in the station on a ride that shouldn't have cubbies!

If they had paid storage on the load side of the station, they could easily have had a path that allowed riders to go back to them after riding.

Really wish they'd get their shit together sometimes.

^Exactly, the last flight out of Burbank was before 6. Would it still be worth it?

How far away are you flying? Usually there's flights until about 9 unless you're going far away. If the last BUR flight is before 6 that's pretty brutal, cause youd probably want to leave the park by at least 4 to be safe, that cuts out a lot of the day. If there's an LAX flight that's later than 9 then youre right, take LAX, cause with that much difference itd still be worth it even with traffic. Perhaps try a one-way car rental and fly in through BUR and out through LAX maybe.

anyone go to the slurpee ride event tonight? I went maybe year before last and it was completely dead. could stay on Goliath as long as we wanted to. left to ride drop of doom a number of times though. was curious if one of the rides was TC tonight.

Thanks guys for your help. Have a new plan, input welcome. This day concerns July 10th, a Friday. Fly down to Burbank from Oakland and will arrive plenty early for opening. Easy. Now getting back have an option of a 5:40 or 6 departure from Burbank or an 8:30 from LAX to Denver. (Don't ask how I got to Oakland. ) I'd figure leaving the park at 6 would work for LAX.

GOLIATH UPDATE:

The new chain has arrived at the park and the crews have been in the process of installing the new one for the past two days. Ride operators were saying the ride should be operational next weekend.

Great to hear, I'm heading to the park in two weeks and now it looks like it will be open by then!

Thanks guys for your help. Have a new plan, input welcome. This day concerns July 10th, a Friday. Fly down to Burbank from Oakland and will arrive plenty early for opening. Easy. Now getting back have an option of a 5:40 or 6 departure from Burbank or an 8:30 from LAX to Denver. (Don't ask how I got to Oakland. ) I'd figure leaving the park at 6 would work for LAX.

Given those options only, I'd go with the LAX flight. Youd probably have to leave by at least 4 to catch the one out of Burbank safely. With the 8:30 flight out of LAX, I'd feel safe leaving as late as 5:30. The biggest difference though is that the LAX flight is non stop and will have you in Denver by 11:40. The Burbank flight, which leaves at 6, has a 2 hour layover in San Jose and doesnt get into Denver until 12:30 am - ouch!

So fly OAK - BUR in the morning and fly out LAX - DEN.

For future trips try doing Sundays. It's the only day in Los Angeles that traffic is light (relatively speaking), so you can use LAX without much worry.

Started out a great day with Honda giving out free parking and ERT. I noticed to for Twisted C that it didnt get going until after noon. Perhaps last nights final grad night gave it a work out. Pretty mean looking clouds popping up right now and if they unload it could be interesting and the breeze just picked up .... Save the women and children... all hands on deck.

Was just reported that a child was air-lifted from Six Flags Magic Mountain. If you hear anything more, please post it here!

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/06/12/child-airlifted-to-hospital-from-magic-mountain-unknown-if-ride-related/#.VXt5-aCkFLo.twitter

VALENCIA (CBSLA.com) — Authorities say they have airlifted a child to a hospital from Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia.

The child, described as a 10-year-old girl, was initially seen at a first aid station shortly after 4 p.m. Friday.

Firefighters indicated that the child had an altered level of consciousness.

She was subsequently taken via airship with a parent to a hospital.

It remained unknown whether the incident was ride-related.

In a statement, the theme park said: “Our thoughts and prayers are with the guest and her family.”

The theme park also said that the girl had been found breathing, but unconscious after returning to the Revolution station after riding.

No further information was immediately available.

Edited by robbalvey