TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^The only thing that makes me wonder is, weren't GASM and Shockwave taken down because of some type of structural/track problems? I wonder if Viper will eventually succumb to the same type of problems. The ride has already been braked to death, and I'm assuming it's because the ride was ripping itself apart.

So what's there to be "excited" about for SFMM 2016 guys? Ourmountain_thrillpark had a post on instagram regarding that. Any guesses?

I'm still excited to ride Twisted Colossus this summer and attend my first WCB. Ways to go before I start caring about 2016.

True that Viper is awesome as it is, but, if a renovation did happen, they could totally use the elevation difference between where its built and the small hill towards the pathway towards X2 to create a 200+ second drop just like Phantom. They could still keep inversions that pay homage to the original Viper though (and general Arrow elements). Like maybe two interlocking loops around the bridge towards X2, (with some amazing airtime mixed in) and the batwig being placed right at the end of the ride so that it dips under the lift hill instead of the simple dip under the lift hill after the straight track. I think that's what makes rides like TC and Helix so good, its not just airtime or just inversions, they both mix multiple types of elements to make just the best possible ride. And, you could totally keep the intensity of the original Viper as I have heard Phantom's Revenge is still very intense.

But...I totally agree that this is just a pipe dream if Revolution doesn't get refurbished first (which I really hope happes next year)!

^The only thing that makes me wonder is, weren't GASM and Shockwave taken down because of some type of structural/track problems? I wonder if Viper will eventually succumb to the same type of problems. The ride has already been braked to death, and I'm assuming it's because the ride was ripping itself apart.

Viper has been modified numerous times since it has opened to reduce stress on the ride. A couple of sections of track were replaced/re-profiled & trim brakes were added.

The least expensive yet amazing modification to Viper would be to change the restraints to the same restraints that Twisted Colossus uses. Heck, they could just build one train and keep running some of the old trains to save money.

I've recently heard that they've taken down the single rider sign on TC. Sounds like they weren't using it properly anyway. Also they made a mistake adding bins to the platform area. They need a no loose article policy on this ride to speed up dispatches.

One last thing I heard, dippin' dots has been added to the season dining snack menu.

^ I heard they're making adjustments to the Single Rider Line. Big mobs of people have been getting in that line in hopes of beating the regular line, rendering it useless. The SRL really needs it's own grouper.

And yes, this ride needs mandatory lockers, just like X2 and El Toro.

The SRL really needs it's own grouper.

Would that conflict with the other grouper? For example, if lane 4 has only one rider, a talented main line grouper could leave lane 5 vacant until he finds a group of three to fill lanes 4 and 5. If the single rider line had its own grouper, she could inadvertently ruin the main line grouper's plans by filling lane 4 with a single rider.

As someone else suggested, it is best to have the single rider line right next to the main line so the grouper can fill lanes quickly, and he would not have to walk back and forth like an expecting new father.

Disney has multiple groupers for their attractions and it works just fine. CA Screamin as an example, has a "Station Assist" on busy days which handles grouping the Single Riders that way the "stand-by line grouper" just needs to worry about filling the rows.

Went to the park yesterday and it was much more busy than I thought it was going to be! I remember going on a weekday late in June back in 2008 and it wasn't even close to being how it was yesterday! Combined with the gloomy weather, I thought for sure crowds would be light!

We still got on a lot of rides though. We waited 15 minutes for Full Throttle at 11am. Then 10 minute wait for DoD, followed by 15 min wait for Scream. We skipped TC since the line was winding way outside the entrance and went to Batman, which was a 15 min wait. Then we skipped Riddler cause it was 90 minutes with 1 train operation. Walked onto Gold Rusher. Skipped Apocalypse cause of 1 train op. At this point we left the park to a nearby Chipotle to grab lunch and take a break. Then came back and skipped Superman cause of a 90 minute wait. Then we waited 1 hour each for Tatsu and X2. Rode Dive Devil after that. Finished off the day with a night ride on Twisted Colossus with a 45 minute wait!

So despite the crowds, we were able to hit a lot of rides at the beginning before the waits got too long. I have a bring a friend for $9.99 for weekday later this month now but I'm debating on whether I want to use it or not cause I don't want to go and have it be that crowded.

Heading to the park on Friday and also Saturday and Sunday for a bit. I know it will be crowded. Any tips for as many rides as possible on Twisted Colossus? I've been waiting for this thing since announcement and am so excited I'm finally going!

Disney has multiple groupers for their attractions and it works just fine. CA Screamin as an example, has a "Station Assist" on busy days which handles grouping the Single Riders that way the "stand-by line grouper" just needs to worry about filling the rows.

if only disney employees and policy were comparable to most sfmm employees and policy. lol

Disney also has a much larger labor budget, and a completely different outlook on the values of different levels of ride staffing.

I went on Monday, mainly just to ride TC. It was pretty fun, definitely plenty of ejector airtime. Got a duel on the first half, second half we were on that lift hill for a cool minute and the other train didn't even show up so no dueling on the second half, nonetheless pretty fun ride. I did use the Single Rider Line that day, I actually missed it the first time I walked to TC, since it is sort of hidden. When I did get in that line, I was there with maybe 20 people tops, didn't seem like it was getting abused that much, hell, the regular line seemed to be moving efficiently as well. I did witness a walk of shame moment, a lot of schools were there that day...short big kid couldn't get the lap bar to close properly, everyone else was waiting on him, he had to exit the ride, restrained jeering was heard.

Call me crazy but I'm thinking of doing a one day trip out to Magic Mountain this July. Looking mainly at Southwest the cheapest day is Wednesday. Flights I'm looking at arrives into LAX at 7:20 that morning and back out at 8:30. Ideally I would love to stay out for the night but most likely can't. Think it would be worth it? Mainly looking at the crowd standpoint. I would consider Burbank but the times don't work out.

Call me crazy but I'm thinking of doing a one day trip out to Magic Mountain this July. Looking mainly at Southwest the cheapest day is Wednesday. Flights I'm looking at arrives into LAX at 7:20 that morning and back out at 8:30. Ideally I would love to stay out for the night but most likely can't. Think it would be worth it? Mainly looking at the crowd standpoint. I would consider Burbank but the times don't work out.

You might want to look at Burbank again. Fighting rush hour traffic on the 405 from LAX to SFMM and back is going to eat up half of your day. 30-45 minute drive between BUR and SFMM is at least 2 hours between LAX and SFMM in the morning if you're lucky, and probably longer in the evening.