TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

At the park today, we got here around 5ish

Yolo was abt 30-45... slow a$$ crew

X2 was down so we waited a bit and was nearly a walk-on. BTW had the smoothest best ride I've ever had on X2. Inside seat, last car, on the left. The fire singed me a bit at the end though lol

Batman was a walk-on, they let us get back 2 back rides since no one was coming aboard.

Green Lantern was about 25 mins, intense per usual

Twisted Colossus broke down twice while we were in line, plus someone barfed, so what should've been a 30 min wait ended up an hour. We dueled on both sides though

In like for Yolo again as I type lol.

Side note, TC actually has more than 18 airtime moments if you're in the very back.

Blue side:

1.First pre-lift hop

2.Second pre-lift hop

3.First drop

4.Small hop

5.Hill into Hi-five

6.Hill out of Hi-Five

7.Small hop

8.Hill under top gun

9.First double-up

10.Second double-up

11.Outward banked hill

Green side:

12.First drop

13.Small hop

14.Hill into Hi-five

15.Hill out of Hi-five

16.2nd part of double down

17.Hill after top gun

18.First double up

19.2nd double up

20.Hill before brake section

^ Yeah, I got the point the first time. lol. Anyway, I got many beautiful views of the park when I rode it 25 times in a row.

I can only imagine how that went...

1st drop: What a nice of view of X2!

2nd drop: What a nice view of Superman!

3rd drop: What a nice view of Batman! I'm going to ride again so I can look at something else from 400 feet up in the air for just a few seconds!

the only time I've been on it was during a VIP tour I was on and won. It just opened that year in 2012 but this was in November or December I think. But they would only let me and my party onto the side facing away from the interstate. It's so boring on that side, nothing to really see.

Did Superman get its new color scheme when Drop of Doom was installed, or was it before that?

Before. It got its new color scheme when the trains were turned backwards and was renamed "Escape From Krypton." Subsequently, a year after it's backward transformation Lex Luther was announced, and the ride was again closed to install the Drop of Doom. So for about 2 seasons straight the ride was closed for a good majority of time.

Here's a photo of the ride with the new paint scheme and without Drop of Doom. I have to admit when they first announced they'd be repainting the ride, I felt like I'd miss the old plain grey scheme, but as soon as I saw it finished I was convinced the new paint made the ride look much, much better. I do miss the Superman sculpture at the top though!

Twisted Colossus broke down twice while we were in line, plus someone barfed, so what should've been a 30 min wait ended up an hour. We dueled on both sides though

Yeah, I've only been in the park twice since it opened, but TC has broken down 3 times in just those two visits. They do seem to get it back up. I certainly understand "new ride" breakdowns can be frequent as they streamline operations, but these seem a bit more than that. Has anyone heard of any specific issue?

They also need to get a test seat out there ASAP. Both times I've ridden, they've had issues fitting larger riders that ultimately they did not allow to ride. It really slows down the loading, and it would be a waste of time for the poor rider who waited all that time to only be told they can't get on.

I am surprised that they do seem to be dueling more than I expected, have been doing 3 trains, and have the single rider line open.

Pretty sure mike's comment about Drop of Doom being the same as Sky Tower was a sarcastic jab about how boring the ride is. For some reason there are those who think a 400-foot free fall tower is a snooze fest. I thought the ride was terrifying

Yeah, I've only been in the park twice since it opened, but TC has broken down 3 times in just those two visits. They do seem to get it back up. I certainly understand "new ride" breakdowns can be frequent as they streamline operations, but these seem a bit more than that. Has anyone heard of any specific issue?
This isnt anything unusual. All new rides break down frequently, and the more complicated they are, the more issues they can potentially have. This ride has two variable speed lifts so Im really surprised its doing as well as it is.

They also need to get a test seat out there ASAP. Both times I've ridden, they've had issues fitting larger riders that ultimately they did not allow to ride. It really slows down the loading, and it would be a waste of time for the poor rider who waited all that time to only be told they can't get on.

Now I know the park MAY have said they're going to put a test seat out in front of the ride (I'm not going to say they said it "officially" because I don't remember it specifically being said by the park, I just remember it being mentioned in these threads) but realize this is Magic Mountain we're talking about, and sometimes things they say don't come to fruition. No other ride in the entire park has a test seat, so why would they start now?

I remember even when Sky Tower was open, I believe there was a Scream test seat in the museum that was put together, and I was scratching my head thinking "Why isn't this at the front of the ride so people can, you know, ACTUALLY USE IT?!"

Not 100% sure but that leads me to believe perhaps the park gets test seats for rides, but decides not to use them. It's a shame too, because it's a very simple thing, given by the manufacturer, that can save people A LOT of time, grief, and sometimes embarrassment. But as we know from their track record, the park really isn't too concerned about guests and that kind of stuff. They're only paying customers...

Here's to hoping they call my bluff just in spite of me saying they typically go back on their word.

Pretty sure mike's comment about Drop of Doom being the same as Sky Tower was a sarcastic jab about how boring the ride is. For some reason there are those who think a 400-foot free fall tower is a snooze fest. I thought the ride was terrifying

I'm with you. My first time was actually legitimately scary. The swaying from Superman's cars, and the drop that seemed to never end...

I'm with you. My first time was actually legitimately scary. The swaying from Superman's cars, and the drop that seemed to never end...

I'm with both of you. Drop of Doom is the only ride I can remember being actually scared on in the past decade or so.

I'm with you. My first time [on drop of doom] was actually legitimately scary. The swaying from Superman's cars, and the drop that seemed to never end...

It's actually very relaxing if you learn to relax and just surrender instead of fighting it. Put your hands up, look at the horizon, and try to enjoy the fall. Act like you WANT to drop. The more you relax, the more fun it is. Clutching the metal restraints actually makes the drop more stressful. Just put your hands up, and relax every muscle in your body.

Many infantry soldiers deal with combat stress by pretending that they are already dead. If you accept the fact that you are already dead, it is much easier to deal with combat. Same goes for Drop of Doom. Just pretend you are already dead and that you are just floating gently to the ground. Sounds very weird but it works.

Once you master this technique, the best part will be watching the people next to you freak out. I regularly witness grown men scream like babies.

Edited by mike932

I'm a little envious of you guys on the west coast with regards to LL:DOD. I'm sure the swaying tower from Superman running simultaneously adds such an awesome element to the ride those here with Zumanjaro probably won't ever get to experience.

Edited by michaellynn4

^ I heard they stopped simultaneous DOD/superman drops because guests were getting very concerned with the increased swaying of the tower.

Saw a handful of simultaneous DOD/Superman drops when visiting the park for TC the last 2 visits. I don't think the ride ops of either ride are concerned, or have any way of communicating with each other, to avoid it from happening. I hope it never stops happening, as the sway really adds an element to the ride that is void on any other drop ride I can think of.

I'm with both of you. Drop of Doom is the only ride I can remember being actually scared on in the past decade or so.

Except for the tower sway, I think DoD is pretty much like any free-fall drop ride (not like S&S towers) except the drop lasts for sooooo long.

I'd have to say every time I get to the top of the lift on X2 and start to feel the car spin on the pre-drop, I am actually scared every time, just because I know the ridiculous views, forces, and sensations the ride is going to be giving me for the next 30 seconds. I only ride in the very back seat, though, IMO the best seat on the ride. X2 still gets me every time.

When I was at the park in October and December, there were definitely times that the one operating side of Superman would sync with the fall of DOD. I to this day haven't had a synced up ride yet but I'm not sure I'm ready to feel swaying at 400 feet. I've legitimately had nightmares about being stranded on top of a swaying skyscraper.

Hey guys! I'm heading to the park tomorrow for my birthday! Stoked to be riding TC for the first time. My only concern is that the weather forecast says that it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I'm driving up 80 miles to get to the park so I just want to know ahead of time what they usually do when it rains. Closing rides? Closing the whole park? I'd appreciate any information you guys have.

My only concern is that the weather forecast says that it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

In general, I think rainy days are excellent times to go because attendance will decrease. Do a google search for "magic mountain rainy day" and you will find a trip report.

That being said, there is only a 20% chance of rain tomorrow.

^ It's for Great Adventure, not Magic Mountain .

LOL no, it works for all parks. At the beginning, they ask you which park you visit the most, and then the appropriate park survey is pulled for you. Dont bother. They're all the same. I just see it as getting additional feedback from SFFT.

I'm with you. My first time [on drop of doom] was actually legitimately scary. The swaying from Superman's cars, and the drop that seemed to never end...

It's actually very relaxing if you learn to relax and just surrender instead of fighting it. Put your hands up, look at the horizon, and try to enjoy the fall. Act like you WANT to drop. The more you relax, the more fun it is. Clutching the metal restraints actually makes the drop more stressful. Just put your hands up, and relax every muscle in your body.

Many infantry soldiers deal with combat stress by pretending that they are already dead. If you accept the fact that you are already dead, it is much easier to deal with combat. Same goes for Drop of Doom. Just pretend you are already dead and that you are just floating gently to the ground. Sounds very weird but it works.

Once you master this technique, the best part will be watching the people next to you freak out. I regularly witness grown men scream like babies.

I'm not scared anymore, it was just a new experience.

My only concern is that the weather forecast says that it's supposed to rain tomorrow.

In general, I think rainy days are excellent times to go because attendance will decrease. Do a google search for "magic mountain rainy day" and you will find a trip report.

the weather channel shows me a 30% chance, but only at 10am. looks like the rest of the day will be just cloudy...and 84-88. yuck

so i'm sure the rain will be nothing to be worried about.

the weather channel shows me a 30% chance, but only at 10am. looks like the rest of the day will be just cloudy...and 84-88. yuck

so i'm sure the rain will be nothing to be worried about.

If it rains in the morning the park will be so dead, lucky day