TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Amazing how often this seems to pop up every couple hundred pages, and how unlikely it is for it to happen. The park doesn't want to build a METRO TRAIN to circuit the perimeter of the park because they can't market it as an attraction, and you think they're gonna spend upwards of $30 Million (I believe Disney spent $90 Million on theirs, I'm guessing MM could deal with 1/3 of the capacity) on a parking structure?

I think it's a great idea to be able to expand the park where the parking lot currently stands by building a huge structure for the cars, just like I think they could make the park a resort with a hotel and all that good stuff, but unfortunately the likelihood is slim and none.

I don't think it's that ridiculous. A large coaster can cost upwards of $15-20M, if they built a large garage close to the park entrance they could sell their current buses and save in perpetuity on bus driver salaries, training, gas, and maintenance on the buses. I think a parking garage close by with your car being covered from the hot sun is pretty attractive from a guest's point of view, and I think its marketable, though not as much so as a roller coaster for sure.

I'm not saying it's likely, exactly, just maybe a little less ridiculous.

Rumor has it that Twisted Colossus will have a Single Rider line up and running by then too.

I was at MM today and the TC single rider line was up and running. I didn't get a chance to use it, but it didn't look like the line ever got longer than 15 people. I planned to try using it later in the day, but X2 only had one train operating and by the time I got off it the park had closed.

Speaking of single train operation, when did it become so popular at MM? X2, Revolution, and apocalypse were all using single trains. I hadn't been to MM in about 4 yrs but I've never encountered this. Is it because this isn't considered peak season yet? I never made it to batman, riddler, or ninja, so idk if they had more than one train running. In addition, superman was closed and riddler was down almost all day (in addition to Goliath).

In spite of the slow lines and ride closures, I still had a great time. TC is awesome!

Also, I never saw it duel today and they were only using 2 trains.

Well it makes sense that Revolution and perhaps Apocalypse would be running single train for capacity reasons. X2 was probably having issues with the other train(s)...it happens. Its also possible they may have been short handed in staffing.
Is there any body who has a good park strategy without a flash pass, as it is our first time in Six Flags Magic Mountain

After entering the park we will first ride the Twisted Colossus, but what is the best strategy afterwards?

Thanks in advance

If you have a large group and/or dont want to split up, ride Twisted Colossus first. The line is likely to be long all day.

If you can take advantage of single rider lines, then I would say head for YOLOCoaster/FT first since there's no cheating that one, you can ride X2 in the afternoon when the line dies down, and you can ride Twisted Colossus with the Single Rider line that just opened.

Is there any body who has a good park strategy without a flash pass, as it is our first time in Six Flags Magic Mountain

I can't really speak to a strategy for hitting the park but I would seriously suggest you add Ninja to your list. That would be my biggest "strategic" suggestion.

^ Just like Cedar Point, Knotts, SFGam and others, SFMM will remove old, useless rides and shuffle things around to make room for a major addition. They could use this method into infinity. So worries about space are just silly.

Exactly.

TC commercial....

that's my video, sorry the sound sucks. lol

i also had these printed at costco today.

the drop one came out dark. didn't look like that on the computer. might do that one over. anyway, costco charges 10 bucks for a 20x30.

i'm sitting next to superbatboy, but didn't know it. lol is anyone else in these images?

IMG_3045.thumb.JPG.c99c0a018656b4284f2170dba6448646.JPG

IMG_3046.thumb.JPG.30c96ba96adb23a3ac91b87f2642f32b.JPG

TC commercial....

that's my video, sorry the sound sucks. lol

i also had these printed at costco today.

the drop one came out dark. didn't look like that on the computer. might do that one over. anyway, costco charges 10 bucks for a 20x30.

i'm sitting next to superbatboy, but didn't know it. lol is anyone else in these images?

[attachment=0]IMG_3045.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]IMG_3046.JPG[/attachment]

I love that first picture!

On July 3rd and 4th, Friday and Saturday. I'm hitting Magic Mountain. Will I, and is it possible to be able to ride every coaster in the park. What with with queues and it being summer. I hear they have a few single rider lines. But I just don't want to miss out on any major attraction

On July 3rd and 4th, Friday and Saturday. I'm hitting Magic Mountain. Will I, and is it possible to be able to ride every coaster in the park. What with with queues and it being summer. I hear they have a few single rider lines. But I just don't want to miss out on any major attraction

Well I know Goliath might not be open as they have been replacing the lift chain. Does anybody know if that's done yet?

It is going to be crazy busy and hot. Get a flash pass and get there super early every day.

I can't really speak to a strategy for hitting the park but I would seriously suggest you add Ninja to your list. That would be my biggest "strategic" suggestion.

I liked ninja when I rode it but I haven't rode it after they cut down the trees. I still think it's worth doing just because of how rare that type of coaster is.

^^ Thanks, Im going to be around Thursday evening as well so maybe i'l pop into park and try and ride 2 main attractions, to make the days easier. I Just don't want to miss out on any. Il check out the flash pass, thanks. Also I actually spoke to 'Our Thrill Mountain' on Facebook and they said the Chain for Goliath is on its way from Japan and should be up and running mid June.

Went to the park today, been a season pass holder past few years, go 1-2 times a year from AZ…

Past 3 years have purchased platinum flash pass, have felt it was worth it every time..

But this year, I completely felt duped.. When we arrived we went to the flash pass station and I wanted to make sure that when it says you can use the pass for TC, Full throttle, and superman, that the "one time ride" meant you couldn'tt ride twice in a row, but you could make multiple reservations through out the day… The representative affirmed this and said yes that is EXACTLY what that means…

Well it only took two rides to see this was false… When the flash pass states TC, Full Throttle, and Superman are included, what they REALLY mean is you can ride it one time for the duration of your entire day, so use it accordingly…

Instead they infer the rules of the past by creatively using the term, "one time ride" when this exact term has been made when referring to rides where you can't go twice in a row…

With Goliath, Superman, X2, and Ninja all down today and not available for the flash pass it was so disappointing and complete waste of $125 PER pass….

Really frustrating...

Past 3 years have purchased platinum flash pass, have felt it was worth it every time..But this year, I completely felt duped

Yeah, from now on I will not buy a flash pass in advance. I will buy one only if I think it is worth it after being in the park for an hour or so. Why was X2 down?

Went to the park today, been a season pass holder past few years, go 1-2 times a year from AZ…

Past 3 years have purchased platinum flash pass, have felt it was worth it every time..

But this year, I completely felt duped.. When we arrived we went to the flash pass station and I wanted to make sure that when it says you can use the pass for TC, YOLOcoaster, and superman, that the "one time ride" meant you couldn'tt ride twice in a row, but you could make multiple reservations through out the day… The representative affirmed this and said yes that is EXACTLY what that means…

Well it only took two rides to see this was false… When the flash pass states TC, YOLOcoaster, and Superman are included, what they REALLY mean is you can ride it one time for the duration of your entire day, so use it accordingly…

Instead they infer the rules of the past by creatively using the term, "one time ride" when this exact term has been made when referring to rides where you can't go twice in a row…

With Goliath, Superman, X2, and Ninja all down today and not available for the flash pass it was so disappointing and complete waste of $125 PER pass….

Really frustrating...

although i think i understood that you could only ride once all day, if someone told you otherwise, i'd be asking for a refund or something. since i've never bought one at magic mountain, i don't know how they've done new rides in the past. but i was clearly aware when i went to SFGAM last year, i was allowed 2 rides on Goliath. thankfully they changed it to 2 before i went.

Past 3 years have purchased platinum flash pass, have felt it was worth it every time..But this year, I completely felt duped

Yeah, from now on I will not buy a flash pass in advance. I will buy one only if I think it is worth it after being in the park for an hour or so. Why was X2 down?

Damn! I thought it's been discussed on here quite often that typically you want to get to the park, see how busy it is, maybe make a lap to see how the lines are, then decided whether or not to buy the pass.

I have only used Flash Pass 1 time and that's when I was with my brother and it was a pretty busy day, lots of rides with 1 train operation. With the pass there's some kind of deal to buy 1 get 1 person on free or something, so we went for it. But like I said, a lot of the rides were open, and then we decided it would be worth it to drop the discounted price of $75 for the both of us.

Sorry about the poor experience.

Damn! I thought it's been discussed on here quite often that typically you want to get to the park, see how busy it is, maybe make a lap to see how the lines are, then decided whether or not to buy the pass.

I have only used Flash Pass 1 time and that's when I was with my brother and it was a pretty busy day, lots of rides with 1 train operation. With the pass there's some kind of deal to buy 1 get 1 person on free or something, so we went for it. But like I said, a lot of the rides were open, and then we decided it would be worth it to drop the discounted price of $75 for the both of us.

Sorry about the poor experience.

doesn't seem like the BOGO gold offer is available anymore. all i see i can get with my pass is $5 off.

Honestly, the Flash Pass is a ripoff any way you slice it. Disney's FastPass also is just a reservation system that doesn't actually decrease your wait time, but at least it's free. Cedar Fair's Fast Lane costs extra, but at least it significantly reduces your wait time for a fee that is still only in the double digits, and you aren't limited to one ride per day.

Honestly, the Flash Pass is a ripoff any way you slice it. Disney's FastPass also is just a reservation system that doesn't actually decrease your wait time, but at least it's free.[/i].

How does any of this make sense to you? I've purchased Gold and Platinum level FastPass and it has significantly reduced my wait time. SIGNIFICANTLY. Was it worth the money? You bet. My time waiting, baking in the sun is totally worth it. Hell, Disneyland Fastpass allows you to be virtually queued for said ride while you occupy yourself with other things to do, including waiting for another ride (same as SF). It just saved you waiting 70+ minutes for Space Mtn while you waited 40min for Thunder Mtn. By the time you're off Thunder, youre ready to BYPASS a majority of the Space Mtn line. How does that NOT save you time? Without it, you would be waiting that 70+ min after you get off Thunder Mtn. How is that not valued....

Honestly, the Flash Pass is a ripoff any way you slice it. Disney's FastPass also is just a reservation system that doesn't actually decrease your wait time, but at least it's free.[/i].

How does any of this make sense to you? I've purchased Gold and Platinum level FastPass and it has significantly reduced my wait time. SIGNIFICANTLY. Was it worth the money? You bet. My time waiting, baking in the sun is totally worth it. Hell, Disneyland Fastpass allows you to be virtually queued for said ride while you occupy yourself with other things to do, including waiting for another ride (same as SF). It just saved you waiting 70+ minutes for Space Mtn while you waited 40min for Thunder Mtn. By the time you're off Thunder, youre ready to BYPASS a majority of the Space Mtn line. How does that NOT save you time? Without it, you would be waiting that 70+ min after you get off Thunder Mtn. How is that not valued....

One word, entitlement...

One word, entitlement...

No this guy probably has never used a Six Flags Flash Pass and misunderstood. The "one time only" thing is specifically for Twisted Colossus, X2, and YOLOCoaster. Because of their high demand and/or low capacity, the park doesn't want them on the full Flash Pass, so they are set up on a reservation system. Once you buy your Platinum Flash pass, you have the ability to purchase individual single ride reservations for those attractions. This allows people to still skip the line while not overly slowing down the standby queue. For every other ride in the park, you can use the Flash Pass as much as you want. The only limitation is that you can only reserve one ride at a time, so you just reserve your next ride each time you check in. I think it's actually a little better than Fast Pass/Flash Pass is that the Six Flags version in that it is remote, so you don't have to be physically at the next ride to check in for it.

There are definitely days where a Flash Pass isn't worth it, and I'd wager there are more of those than days than ones where it's necessary. But there are a lot of days, especially in the summer, where it's a great advantage. The busiest day I ever visited the park on was on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and I sure didn't feel like it was a ripoff then, more like a life saver.