TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ If they're worried about budget, they could turn once again to RMC. By that time, there's no telling what they'll have in their repertoire.

No matter who manufactures the giga, it will be really expensive. Giga coasters all have A LOT of something that is very expensive..... STEEL. RMC can iron-horse a ride like Texas Giant for $10 million because the support structure is already there, the footers are there, the lift hill is there etc;

I think MM is landlocked. Not as extreme as say Knott's for instance, but MM doesnt have the space a Gradv or a KI has. Most of MM's rides are close together and sort of on top of one another. Not sure where a giga would fit, maybe if they removed something.

They could build a multi-story parking garage like Disneyland's and use the old parking lots for new rides. Plus, the parking garage would mean much less walking. They could put it RIGHT NEXT to the ticket booths. And your car would not be 150 degrees when you went back to it. They could even put a coaster on top of the parking garage.

I think MM is landlocked. Not as extreme as say Knott's for instance, but MM doesnt have the space a Gradv or a KI has. Most of MM's rides are close together and sort of on top of one another. Not sure where a giga would fit, maybe if they removed something.

They could build a multi-story parking garage like Disneyland's and use the old parking lots for new rides. Plus, the parking garage would mean much less walking. They could put it RIGHT NEXT to the ticket booths. And your car would not be 150 degrees when you went back to it. They could even put a coaster on top of the parking garage.

True but Disney money vs Six Flags money....we're talking Wendy Williams vs. Oprah

Six Flags hasn't spent more than $15 million on a single attraction in almost a decade (SFoG's Goliath, Tatsu, and El Toro being the last). I doubt they'd start again up again with an attraction that would probably cost about $30 million. Plus has anyone taken a serious look at SFMM's skyline? I think MM is landlocked. Not as extreme as say Knott's for instance, but MM doesnt have the space a Gradv or a KI has. Most of MM's rides are close together and sort of on top of one another. Not sure where a giga would fit, maybe if they removed something.

Yes but an Intimidator 305 type giga wouldn't take up too much space. I haven't been on I305, but it looks pretty compact.

Think about this: remove viper and place a small giga in that area. It may be tight, but I bet they could make it work. Remember, this might be totally absurd, so don't judge.

Here's an idea for a ride. Make the longest duration coaster in the world by making a coaster with 4 tracks that everyone rides. TC has 2 tracks that everyone rides. Make a coaster with 4 tracks that lasts longer than any other coaster in the world. Call it "Quartet" or something. All 4 tracks could intertwine like spaghetti which would make dueling amazing. Better yet, call it the never-ending pasta bowl and have Olive Garden sponsor it to save costs. Have the loading station look like a breadstick. Have a pasta kiosk nearby. Okay I just jumped the shark but I still like my idea.

Edited by mike932

^ If they're worried about budget, they could turn once again to RMC. By that time, there's no telling what they'll have in their repertoire.

No matter who manufactures the giga, it will be really expensive. Giga coasters all have A LOT of something that is very expensive..... STEEL. RMC can iron-horse a ride like Texas Giant for $10 million because the support structure is already there, the footers are there, the lift hill is there etc;

Doesn't have to be a giga in my book, just another awesome RMC creation. We've all learned that bigger doesn't always mean better.

What about a wing coaster in the old Deja Vu area? Could that possibly work if they expand the area a bit?

Why would they build a 2nd wing coaster?

And also, no. That area is pretty close to the property line, and they need to keep at least some backstage space.

What about a wing coaster in the old Deja Vu area? Could that possibly work if they expand the area a bit?

Why would they build a 2nd wing coaster?

And also, no. That area is pretty close to the property line, and they need to keep at least some backstage space.

X2 is a 4D coaster wing coaster. Also, X2 didn't stop them from building Green Lantern because they would be building another 4D coaster.

I have bought a gold flash pass before but I have never bought a regular flash pass. Can someone please tell me how long the waits are with the regular pass?
The website says Regular = actual time, Gold = 50% shorter time, Platinum = 90% shorter time. I have found this to be more of a guideline than an actual measurement.

With the regular pass your waits should be roughly equal to that of standing in line, only you don't have to physically stand there. Probably average about 45-60 min on a normal summer day. Despite what the website says, in practice Gold and Platinum end up with about the same waits - on average about 10-15 min. Low demand rides like Viper and Revolution are often ready instantaneously, meaning the Flash Pass is pointless for them.

To me it's worth it for Tatsu alone. It will probably have 60+ waits easily that day, the Flash Pass will skip you past the entire lower queue giving you practically only a station wait. Unlike some other parks where you merge much earlier, at MM the Flash Pass in most cases merges you at the entrance of the station. The only ride I can think of where you merge significantly farther back is Superman.

(Water rides for whatever reason always have longer waits - on gold usually 45-60.) One some rides Platinum lets you ride twice without getting up, and Platinum includes Superman and the ability to purchase reservations for X2, YOLOCoaster, and Twisted Colossus.

Edited by singemfrc

^ Thank you. I had a feeling the regular flash pass would still be faster than the really long lines. Will try it out. Will ride single rider rides in between flash pass rides.

Edited by mike932

^ Thank you. I had a feeling the regular pass would still be faster than the really long lines. Will try it out. Will ride single rider lines in between flash pass rides.

Youll save tons of time using Single Rider on Riddlers, Lex Luthor, and Green Lantern. Rumor has it that Twisted Colossus will have a Single Rider line up and running by then too.

Plus has anyone taken a serious look at SFMM's skyline? I think MM is landlocked.

Oh no, not this again! I'm just gonna go ahead and nip this in the bud:

Magic Mountain is NOT landlocked. At all. They have room all over the place to build anything they want.

They could build a multi-story parking garage like Disneyland's and use the old parking lots for new rides.

Amazing how often this seems to pop up every couple hundred pages, and how unlikely it is for it to happen. The park doesn't want to build a METRO TRAIN to circuit the perimeter of the park because they can't market it as an attraction, and you think they're gonna spend upwards of $30 Million (I believe Disney spent $90 Million on theirs, I'm guessing MM could deal with 1/3 of the capacity) on a parking structure?

I think it's a great idea to be able to expand the park where the parking lot currently stands by building a huge structure for the cars, just like I think they could make the park a resort with a hotel and all that good stuff, but unfortunately the likelihood is slim and none.

Plus has anyone taken a serious look at SFMM's skyline? I think MM is landlocked.

Magic Mountain is NOT landlocked. At all. They have room all over the place to build anything they want.

How do you know they aren't landlocked? I was told that Newhall Land and Farm owns all of the surrounding areas of the park right up to the backstage access roads. I'm genuinely curious to know if they don't actually own that land.

How do you know they aren't landlocked? I was told that Newhall Land and Farm owns all of the surrounding areas of the park right up to the backstage access roads. I'm genuinely curious to know if they don't actually own that land.

I they aren't land locked, they sure aren't too creative with coaster locations.

BTW, I saw the new Twisted Colossus commercial tonight.

Rumor has it that Twisted Colossus will have a Single Rider line up and running by then too.

I was at MM today and the TC single rider line was up and running. I didn't get a chance to use it, but it didn't look like the line ever got longer than 15 people. I planned to try using it later in the day, but X2 only had one train operating and by the time I got off it the park had closed.

Speaking of single train operation, when did it become so popular at MM? X2, Revolution, and apocalypse were all using single trains. I hadn't been to MM in about 4 yrs but I've never encountered this. Is it because this isn't considered peak season yet? I never made it to batman, riddler, or ninja, so idk if they had more than one train running. In addition, superman was closed and riddler was down almost all day (in addition to Goliath).

In spite of the slow lines and ride closures, I still had a great time. TC is awesome!

Also, I never saw it duel today and they were only using 2 trains.

Rumor has it that Twisted Colossus will have a Single Rider line up and running by then too.

Also, I never saw it duel today and they were only using 2 trains.

That's too bad, the dueling aspect is really one of its divining features, i'm afraid that SF MM won't let TC run 3 trains unless there is an 2 hour waut

Btw, the fast pass systeme has changed! Only x2 is now an upcharge and TC, Superman and Full throttle are included (1 single ride) with platinum.

maybe they can sell all the coasters i don't care to ride anymore and get enough money for a giga.

Viper, Apocalypse (unless they retrack), Green Lantern, Riddler's Revenge, Scream, Goliath.

With the money, they can do the giga, extend half throttle by 2x

LOL @ MM for becoming the absolute norm of 1 train operation on any ride in the park at any random time during the busiest times of the year.

Is this a joke? This parks operations sure seem to be!

Do people in charge of running the park know what they're doing? Sure doesn't seem like it.

Do they know what year this is and what the humungous multi-billion dollar resort an hour away on the 5 south is doing and how much money they're making? Do they ever wonder why???

It's like people in charge have never done this before nor have a clue how to do it. Problem is 1 train ops is the tip of the iceberg.

It's almost a game of "Let's see how much park guests will put up with until they stop coming..."

I'm embarrassed for the park, and they should be embarrassed for themselves.

Completely unacceptable.

you think they're gonna spend upwards of $30 Million (I believe Disney spent $90 Million on theirs, I'm guessing MM could deal with 1/3 of the capacity) on a parking structure?

The Disney parking structure has 10,250 spaces. MM does not need one that big. It doesn't even have to fit every car at MM. It just needs to be big enough to make room for a new coaster assuming buying more real estate is out of the question. Or they could buy cheap land off site and have a tram. Or they could get rid of the human resources trailers next to Scream and replace them with a multi-story building. There's also empty land between Apocalypse and Viper that looks like their property.

By the way, I was at the bus stop to the south of X2 last week. There is a sign at the west end of Magic Mountain Parkway that reads, "Magic Mountain Parkway will be extended in the future as part of the development of Newhall Ranch." Their website reads, "$300 million in transportation improvements associated with Newhall Ranch, including thirty miles of new roads and significant improvements to SR 126, Magic Mountain Pkwy., Valencia Blvd. and Commerce Center Dr."..... http://newhallranch.net/about-the-community/#villages

I was at MM today and the TC single rider line was up and running.

Holy crap that is music to my ears. X2 will definitely be my first ride of the day from now on.

Is there any body who has a good park strategy without a flash pass, as it is our first time in Six Flags Magic Mountain

After entering the park we will first ride the Twisted Colossus, but what is the best strategy afterwards?

If possible we would like to ride:

- Full Throttle

- Goliath

- Green Lantern: First Flight

- Lex Luthor: Drop Of Doom

- Tatsu

- Viper

- X2

- Twisted Colossus

- The Roaring Rapids

- Jet Stream

- Superman: Escape From Krypton

- Apocalypse

Thanks in advance

They could build a multi-story parking garage like Disneyland's and use the old parking lots for new rides.

Amazing how often this seems to pop up every couple hundred pages, and how unlikely it is for it to happen. The park doesn't want to build a METRO TRAIN to circuit the perimeter of the park because they can't market it as an attraction, and you think they're gonna spend upwards of $30 Million (I believe Disney spent $90 Million on theirs, I'm guessing MM could deal with 1/3 of the capacity) on a parking structure?

I think it's a great idea to be able to expand the park where the parking lot currently stands by building a huge structure for the cars, just like I think they could make the park a resort with a hotel and all that good stuff, but unfortunately the likelihood is slim and none.

MM is landlocked they can't just infinitely expand all over the place. The park does have borders so that part is true.

But, the park is huge and if they really want to add something they already have or WILL MAKE ROOM for it, so that part is also true.

The problem people have with park space is that they think in two dimensions, think in three. Look at what parks like Blackpool and Nasu Highlands have done. MM could add a number of new coasters with out expanding their foot print.

^ Just like Cedar Point, Knotts, SFGam and others, SFMM will remove old, useless rides and shuffle things around to make room for a major addition. They could use this method into infinity. So worries about space are just silly.