TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Got a 2nd ride on TC Sat night right before closing and we dueled on the green side. Guests are still having a hard time lifting up the restraints to exit the ride. If they can get that in order, along with a test seat out front (a gentleman had to do the walk of shame while were in line) it would greatly improve trains getting out faster.

Another thing I think MM should do is what SFDK does with Superman. You're not allowed to take ANYTHING in beyond the person assigning seats. That way you get directly in your seat, no stepping over the train to put things down etc;

I totally agree on your first 2 points. I've also heard here that a test seat is coming out front. Yes, no loose articles on the platform. That will dramatically improve the boarding process.

it's a small inconvenience on rides like millennium force and top thrill dragster, but definitely helps capacity. i'd definitely not be against it.

I just made my first pilgrimage to CP and I have to agree. MF and TTD ran like clockwork because of their station design and because of the no loose items. It was inconvenient having to re-rent "Bunnies" throughout the day, but the system works miracles for capacity.

Part of me has to ask the question "Why ask a manufacturer to build a dueling coaster with some signature dueling features if they aren't going to duel them a good amount of the time", but then part of me at least things that even without the dueling that it still must be a pretty kick-ass ride.

I guess looking at the positive side of things - even of Twisted Colossus duels 1/4 of the time that's still more often than classic colossus raced in the last decade?

Part of me has to ask the question "Why ask a manufacturer to build a dueling coaster with some signature dueling features if they aren't going to duel them a good amount of the time", but then part of me at least things that even without the dueling that it still must be a pretty kick-ass ride.

I guess looking at the positive side of things - even of Twisted Colossus duels 1/4 of the time that's still more often than classic colossus raced in the last decade?

I keep coming back to things like this, and others such as "if you're only going to use one station why not have a TTD/Maverick style system where you send out two trains at once?" Then I remember one thing.

Six Flags.........Magic Mountain.

And then I proceed to move on to what I'm going to eat for lunch.

Maybe SFMM likes to mess with enthusiasts, and Alan Schlike!

If you look at it from another standpoint, dualing or not, adding a second lift is like adding another block. Instead of an MCBR, and a small (in comparison) second half, you get another lift, and a full-sized ending.

I keep coming back to things like this, and others such as "if you're only going to use one station why not have a TTD/Maverick style system where you send out two trains at once?" Then I remember one thing.

If I were MM i'd make the lines alot shorter and take even more people from Disney/Knotts. If the lines were shorter I'd actually go during Summer time or the weekend, and spend more $ on food and drinks. They would sell more season passes, get people returning more and most importantly make the customers happier. It would just have to be on the most popular rides at least. X, Tatsu, Superman, FT and now TC.

Anyone agree for the next attraction now that we got our airtime machine, is to get a metro or some kind of transport, make an indoor ride like space mountain or a ride that is scary with objects scaring you inside or interacting, re-do Tidal Wave because you don't even get wet on it and make the drop updated to the times, and fix up revolution.

How nice would it be to hop on a metro from the main entrance to TC or TC to X or apocalypse without walking forever? I personally would love a transport more than anything next.

The state of SFMM operations pains me as much as the Seahawks choosing to pass at the Superbowl when they had the leagues best running back.

It's just easier not to think about it and enjoy it as best you can.

How nice would it be to hop on a metro from the main entrance to TC or TC to X or apocalypse without walking forever? I personally would love a transport more than anything next.

Or just open a second park entrance near Scream for passholders only. To save money, it could be open only during the first hour of operations.

Waits about 30 for TC.

In that case, it is probably smarter to to go X2 at park opening and then TC later.

Edited by mike932

.......On Sunday the 21st of May we will travel to Six Flags Magic Mountain for the first time! .......What is the best strategy for our visit (without a Flash Pass)

You should use single rider lines whenever possible. You will not be able to ride with your girlfriend, but that is no big deal because the rides only last a couple minutes.

Isn't the whole point to ride with your girlfriend?

Hi guys!

My girlfriend an I (living in Belgium) will make a roadtrip around the west coast.

On Sunday the 21st of May we will travel to Six Flags Magic Mountain for the first time!

We bought already tickets via the website of Six Flags, but at the moment we don't think to buy a flash pass.

On the internet I cannot find a good strategy for Six Flags Magic Mountain. Do you guys think it is possible to ride most of the big rides?

If possible we would like to ride: YOLOcoaster, Goliath, Green Lantern: First Flight, Lex Luthor: Drop Of Doom, Tatsu, Viper, X2, Twisted Colossus, The Roaring Rapids, Jet Stream, Superman: Escape From Krypton and Apocalypse. Is there a ride which I miss, or is not that interesting?

What is the best strategy for our visit (without a Flash Pass)?

Thanks!!!!

It's going to be very busy (and probably very hot) and you will enjoy the day a LOT more with the Flash Pass. On a summer weekend it's going to be the only way to ride everything you want. All the major rides except Superman, X2, and Twisted Colossus are supported on all flash passes. Platinum flash pass includes superman. YOLO/FT and Twisted Colossus require reservations to be purchased per-ride ($10 or $15 for YOLO, $30 for TC) and require a platinum flash pass.

Assuming you're not made of money and don't go full hog and buy Platinum + reservations, My recommendation is to buy the Gold Flash Pass, which is the best value. As soon as you get in the door go straight for Twisted Colossus, then go to the Flash Pass office to pick up your little device. Immediately reserve the first ride you want, and it will probably be ready by the time you walk there. When you get into the station and the ride op checks you in, immediately reserve your next ride. By the time you get off the current one and walk to the next ride, it should be ready. Rinse and repeat. Except for water rides you rarely wait more than 10-15 mins for a flash pass reservation to be ready.

The lines for YOLOCoaster/FT and especially X2 tend to die in the afternoon, so look to get those in around 4-5pm.

Rob you've got it right. TC is a great coaster! It smokes the old Colossus big time. I can speak from experience since I've been on it since media day 47 times. When it duels, it's amazing!

They just need to establish a loose article policy for this ride = nothing on the platform, and a test seat. These are easy fixes. I've heard the test seat is coming. The vast majority of the rideops are really working hard.

Isn't the whole point to ride with your girlfriend?

I see where you are coming from. To me, the point is to spend the day with my girlfriend. A ride takes only a couple minutes. That's like a bathroom break. We would rather ride Riddler 4 times in 30 minutes than stand in line for 30 minutes. Plus, I hate seeing empty seats on a ride. It's such a waste. And it is very satisfying to walk onto a ride for which other people are waiting 30 minutes.

As for the Belgian couple, they are not buying a flash pass. If they do not use single rider, they may not ride every ride.

I could see SFMM receiving a Super Loop for 2016, but I wouldn't expect them to market it as a Coaster. I'm expecting their 20th Coaster addition to be some kind of major investment and a marquee attraction. I just don't know what it would be. Perhaps a giga, but doubtful still.

I could see SFMM receiving a Super Loop for 2016, but I wouldn't expect them to market it as a Coaster. I'm expecting their 20th Coaster addition to be some kind of major investment and a marquee attraction. I just don't know what it would be. Perhaps a giga, but doubtful still.

an airtime intamin giga would really round out the park well!!! the park (in my eyes) only has one major airtime machine (twisted colossus)... but I feel they need another one in the park. The park is waaaayyyyyy too positive-G heavy.

I would also take a launched wing-rider, a maverick-style ride, or a ground-up RMC 100% steel coaster

.......On Sunday the 21st of May we will travel to Six Flags Magic Mountain for the first time! .......What is the best strategy for our visit (without a Flash Pass)

I think you meant 21st of June. The entire month of June will be crowded. Without a flash pass, you will spend hours in line and may not be able to ride every ride.

You should use single rider lines whenever possible. You will not be able to ride with your girlfriend, but that is no big deal because the rides only last a couple minutes.

Eat a large meal before coming to the park because the food is expensive.

Travel light. Carry as few items as possible. Don't keep valuables in your pockets because they may fall out during the wild rides. I keep my credit card and car key in a money belt like this.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sport-Travel-Pouch-Bag-Hidden-Compact-Security-Money-Waist-Belt-Holder-Pocket-MG-/181735459039?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a504708df

I indeed meant the 21 st of June (Sunday). I can imagine that the Flash Pass would be a good choiche, but we think the cost it to high. So at the moment, we don't think to use it (but never say never ).

So as I understand the best choiche is to go to the twisted Colossus first?

The X2 coaster is too crowded in the bezinning of the day, so it's better to go to it around 4-5 pm?

If we rode the twisted Colossus, what afterwards? We would like to do a mix of rollercoasters, water attractions and of course the drop of doom.

Thanks

While I do not think that they would sink low enough to market a Super Loop as their 20th coaster, I also do not think that their 20th would be anything large like a giga. I am confident that TC is the best ride that they will build for a long time, so for me any future speculation is more out of curiosity than excitement. I could see them getting something like an El Loco with wide trains that could be marketed as the US's steepest coaster, or something like that.

an airtime intamin giga would really round out the park well!!! the park (in my eyes) only has one major airtime machine (twisted colossus)... but I feel they need another one in the park. The park is waaaayyyyyy too positive-G heavy.

I would also take a launched wing-rider, a maverick-style ride, or a ground-up RMC 100% steel coaster

I think a launched Wingrider would be a great addition, but I find it unlikely due to X2 and Green Lantern. We know the differences in these Coasters but I don't think it would be received well due to GP thinking they are all alike.

MM doesn't need any more coasters, they should focus on taking better care of the ones they have. RMCing Colossus was the first step in the right direction.

Restoring Revolution, painting Tatsu, a serious rehab on Riddler, a re-track of Apocalypse, and just general freshening up of the park should be next on the agenda.

What enthusiast wouldn't want an Intamin airtime machine in their park? But really man? Is Twisted Colossus alone not good enough?

I really hope SFMM takes a step back from the fury of additions and starts focusing on improving what they already have, like the poster above mentions. It could take the park from being the lackluster quality it is to something even better than it was during the Jay Thomas era. One can hope, at least.