TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Do you guys think Wednesday May 27 would be a decent day to go to MM? It's almost summer but I think all schools will still be in session.

Most, but not all schools will be. It will probably be the best day at the park to go until the end of August.

It's short more than it's long, and in case it is long, there's a single rider line for it. It's also been on the regular flash pass for the last 18 months or so.

Thank you sir. I'm going ride Drop of Doom 15 times in a row. It's the closest I will ever get to skydiving.

I was surprised by how boring I thought it was, I really hate heights but it's restraint system made me feel perfectly secure and when a Superman car('s) launched up the tower I just laughed at the swaying of the tower. It's a nice ride but I thought it was going to be the most scairest ride in the park for me, but Goliath still holds that spot. I guess Steep lifthills do me in.

Most, but not all schools will be. It will probably be the best day at the park to go until the end of August.

Thank you.

I was surprised by how boring (drop of doom) was, I really hate heights but it's restraint system made me feel perfectly secure and when a Superman car('s) launched up the tower I just laughed at the swaying of the tower. It's a nice ride but I thought it was going to be the most scairest ride in the park for me, but Goliath still holds that spot. I guess Steep lifthills do me in.

I agree that drop of doom is not scary. I like it because it is relaxing. I pull my arms out of the restraints and put my hands up so that my arms in front of the center of my body. The ride operator said it was okay to do this.

For Lex Luther Drop of Doom if they have a great grouper working the main line, a single rider might never get on. I've seen it many a time.

That's an interesting math problem. There are 8 seats per ride side. Let's say that people with the same letter are friends....

AABBCCDD, EEFFGGHH (8 pairs)

AAABBCCC, DDEEFFGG (2 trios, and 5 pairs)

AAAABBCC, DDEEFFGG (1 quartet, 6 pairs)

AAABBBCC, DDDEEFFG (2 trios, 5 pairs, 1 single rider)... for this example, he could ask for a trio instead of riders F, F, and G.

I guess a motivated ride operator could fill all the seats all the time if he asks for the number of people he needs. For example, if he needs a trio, but there are no trios at the front of the line, he could ask for a trio that is 30 people back on the line. The most common groups are probably pairs and trios, which makes it easier to avoid needing a single rider.

The fewer seats a car has, the better it is for single riders. Twisted Colossus will always need single riders to sit with the third wheel of a trio. Radiator Springs Racers has 3 seats across and will need single riders because there are lots of pairs. Drop of Doom is a nightmare for single riders IF the ride operator knows what he is doing.

TC has only been running 2 trains all day so far. They are polishing the wheels on the third one. I wonder what's been going on with the wheels?

Will this be a weekly thing with the wheels? lol or every few days even.

TC seems to be the only ride that has dedicated queue space for single riders (even though it's not being used...right now because SF is still learning how to operate the ride, basically). And this is a good idea: when I went on Thursday, trains went out with 1-2 empty spaces because of groups of 1 or 3 (or 5).

It is a little-known fact that ALL rides at SF have single-rider lines (according to one of their gold pass newsletters published several months ago), but that only a handful of rides have posted signage. For rides that don't have SR signage, it is at the ride operator's discretion. Goliath, that means you!

Re: 4 trains: TC will never (according to park management) run 4 trains at once. One will always be in rehab. Also, having that 4th train on the tracks will not increase RPH because it really isn't possible to load one train in 60 seconds.

Can someone confirm this? I don't think you can just walk up the Tatsu, Superman, FT exit and try to get empty seats.

TC has only been running 2 trains all day so far. They are polishing the wheels on the third one. I wonder what's been going on with the wheels?

how is the line today?

I haven't ridden yet today, but the line has been posted at either 2 or 3 hours all day. Line ends by Lex Luthor's entrance, a little bit around the corner closer to the Screampunk sign now, in between those two locations.

Does the wheel problem also have something to do with the squeaking the ride makes? I've noticed from videos that WC also makes a terrible racket as well

It's the shocks in the wheel assemblies. This is what makes the ride feel so smooth. If you notice on all RMC coasters with RMC trains, they always make a squeaking sound going through airtimes hills or really tight turns. This is the shocks keeping the wheels in contact with the track at all times.

Also, single rider line supposedly won't be used because they don't want everyone flooding that line and making single rider take just as long as the normal line. Why that's the case, I don't know but that's what I heard.

If this is true, then it's dumb.

If people want to wait just as long as the normal line for single rider operations, they should have to opportunity to do so. It sounds to me like the park just doesn't want to do it, and they're turning it around to blame guests who would use it. Again, dumb, because right now their priority should be getting as many people on the ride as possible.

I hope this is something that isn't permanent as a single rider line on Colossus would really help fill in empty seats.

A good grouper shouldn't need to rely on a single rider line (though it helps for sure). Not sure how the ride is setup at sfmm but two odd numbers make an even number it's not too difficult if you try hard enough you have a group of 3 you have an even group next you don't put them in the next row you put them somewhere else and then your next group of 3 or 5 goes with the previous group of 3... Fill the ends and work your way to the middle

Does the wheel problem also have something to do with the squeaking the ride makes? I've noticed from videos that WC also makes a terrible racket as well

It's the shocks in the wheel assemblies. This is what makes the ride feel so smooth. If you notice on all RMC coasters with RMC trains, they always make a squeaking sound going through airtimes hills or really tight turns. This is the shocks keeping the wheels in contact with the track at all times.

Oh I see, thanks for explaining this. So then it makes me wonder though about the Gerstlauer trains and what kind of wheel assembly they use Watching vids of NTAG and Iron Rattler i've noticed they're are soooo quiet.

A good grouper shouldn't need to rely on a single rider line (though it helps for sure). Not sure how the ride is setup at sfmm but two odd numbers make an even number it's not too difficult if you try hard enough you have a group of 3 you have an even group next you don't put them in the next row you put them somewhere else and then your next group of 3 or 5 goes with the previous group of 3... Fill the ends and work your way to the middle

True, but they are in a hurry to race trains, so that would take too much time. Even Disney uses single riders on California Screamin and Disney is the master of train loading.

One possibility is that theyre trying to dial in the right amount of friction to get the right ride duration that they're looking for. I know they were messing with Tatsu alot when it opened before they figured out just the right recipe.

TC seems to be the only ride that has dedicated queue space for single riders (even though it's not being used...right now because SF is still learning how to operate the ride, basically). And this is a good idea: when I went on Thursday, trains went out with 1-2 empty spaces because of groups of 1 or 3 (or 5).

It is a little-known fact that ALL rides at SF have single-rider lines (according to one of their gold pass newsletters published several months ago), but that only a handful of rides have posted signage. For rides that don't have SR signage, it is at the ride operator's discretion. Goliath, that means you!

Re: 4 trains: TC will never (according to park management) run 4 trains at once. One will always be in rehab. Also, having that 4th train on the tracks will not increase RPH because it really isn't possible to load one train in 60 seconds.

Can someone confirm this? I don't think you can just walk up the Tatsu, Superman, FT exit and try to get empty seats.

I don't think you would get a warm reception if you went up the exit. I think this just refers to the grouper's ability to ask for single riders out of the main queue.

^They specifically said single-rider line on all rides, not moving ahead of people near the front of the line. I don't think that's what they meant, as most of the rides do not have groupers. They also mentioned Goliath, which does not use groupers.

Thank you sir. I'm going ride Drop of Doom 15 times in a row. It's the closest I will ever get to skydiving.

As a random side note, I've been skydiving many times, and believe it or not you get almost a perfect 1g the entire fall until you throw your main chute and it's obviously positives at that point. Haven't been on a massive Intamin drop but ARM towers are actually "scarier". I'm sure Lex Luthor is actually worse than real skydiving.

As a random side note, I've been skydiving many times, and believe it or not you get almost a perfect 1g the entire fall until you throw your main chute and it's obviously positives at that point. Haven't been on a massive Intamin drop but ARM towers are actually "scarier". I'm sure Lex Luthor is actually worse than real skydiving.

I was pleasantly surprised when my legs involuntarily extended from the air resistance.

Not sure where you got this information that all rides have single rider lines. I'm normally by myself. I just use the ones that are advertised. Where do you think these other single rider lines are for: Goliath, Scream, YOLO, Tatsu, Apocalypse? I hope you're right, but I don't think so. Please prove me wrong...

That single rider thing is defiantly not true the rides I work at don't have it and anyone that comes up we are told to say no by management. And as for TC's single rider line the main problem that they have is that everyone will wanna go for it after they see so much as a hour and a half wait time ( the ride I work at they ask about single rider lines for a 10 min wait) so then you have the problem of a long line for that and the hall to access is it very narrow and they still need to get VIP and flash pass on (witch is priority) thro the same hall and entrance and then the ADA pass guests( witch is also priority) and most of them are in wheel chairs and scooters. It would be a huge blocking problem. Especially for ADA wheelchairs and that same entrance is a exit for wheelchairs. And there isn't really a switchback for SR its just a large empty space. It will open up just not soon being how popular the ride is at this point and that they need to clear that part for wheelchairs. Think of it like batman. batmans exit is where multiple wheelchairs also have to access and exit then you have all those people trying to exit the ride at the same time and its a narrow path. Its the same idea but reverse. And a lot more people...