TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

one of the guys who was there girlfriend was better looking than all the paid girls. so they asked her to be in the front.

Yeah, she was cute. They also kept putting the non-model guy with the red shirt and 5 o'clock shadow near the front because they thought he was good-looking.

I think the paid riders were models, not actors. Here is one of them....

https://twitter.com/vanni_latimer27

jtaudio, I think I talked to you. I think I told you that I saw your blogs and that you rode it many times before Tuesday. You're the tall guy, right?

but out of all the video, especially the pov of the front car, none were from the second day where all this happened.

Most of the footage is from Monday, but there a few shots from Tuesday. Monday had lots of striped shirts. Tuesday had lots of solid-colored shirts. The first clip from the following video is from Tuesday. The back of my head is visible at the top left. I am wearing a green shirt......

Someone please post a link with the TV commercial when it is available. Thank you.

Oh wow, I see myself at 0:41 on the orange train

but out of all the video, especially the pov of the front car, none were from the second day where all this happened.

Most of the footage is from Monday, but there a few shots from Tuesday. Monday had lots of striped shirts. Tuesday had lots of solid-colored shirts. The first clip from the following video is from Tuesday. The back of my head is visible at the top left. I am wearing a green shirt......

Someone please post a link with the TV commercial when it is available. Thank you.

i like the music video the best out of all the footage. or well, i guess the edit. the video with the blue train is monday, and purple tuesday. that was an easy way for me to know. plus, the drone was only tuesday along with the rear camera.

green shirt on the rear mounted camera train? i was probably a row or car in front of you, i was right in the middle.

11334077_10153268622479174_7143212820540263789_o.thumb.jpg.58055a2bac673693b49042da1821cbef.jpg

finger pointed to me. who else is in this picture??

i like the music video the best out of all the footage. or well, i guess the edit. the video with the blue train is monday, and purple tuesday. that was an easy way for me to know. plus, the drone was only tuesday along with the rear camera.

green shirt on the rear mounted camera train? i was probably a row or car in front of you, i was right in the middle.

[attachment=0]11334077_10153268622479174_7143212820540263789_o.jpg[/attachment]

finger pointed to me. who else is in this picture??

Wait a minute? You're the Asian guy with the blue shirt? I was sitting next to you on Monday for 8 laps non stop

That screenshot you posted is from Monday. I was only there Tuesday. You were there both days, right?

Wait a minute? You're the Asian guy with the blue shirt? I was sitting next to you on Monday for 8 laps non stop

so that's you in the pic right there? cause that was monday after they took the front camera off. lol

That screenshot you posted is from Monday. I was only there Tuesday. You were there both days, right?

yeah, i was there both days, wearing the same thing. rushed home washed my clothes and wore them again. lol

when you watch stuff, just remember blue train monday, purple tuesday.

so that's you in the pic right there? cause that was monday after they took the front camera off. lol

Yup 'twas me! I wish I had gone Tuesday instead of Monday, seems like people were getting more rides that day

Funny too, everyone's faces have smiles and everyone's hands are up...it's all genuine, they never coached us or told us to look like we were having fun, we really WERE

I like the chick with the pink polo shirt and glasses. Her hands were swaying more than the others' and she is having a ball.

They probably edited most of the music video Monday night and then just needed a few more clips from Tuesday to complete it. Tuesday was the sloppy seconds riders.

it was weird because they had twice as many actors on tuesday. one chick even seemed to have her own makeup artist. lol the film crews were different. the monday crew is who looked like did media day, and the horrible sound on the riders pov and official pov. tuesday also had the drone.

as far as rides, i thought we were going to get more rides on tuesday, but i got 14 monday, 16 on tuesday. it looked like we would have gotten a lot more on tuesday because they weren't doing the front camera, then they added it, and a rear. all that took soooo much time. i want to say we were down for like 4 hours?

Funny too, everyone's faces have smiles and everyone's hands are up...it's all genuine, they never coached us or told us to look like we were having fun, we really WERE

the first ride was great. a train full of enthusiasts all riding TC for the first time.

Rode for the first time yesterday and was really blown away. That backseat...man...I was getting literally just tossed everywhere - I couldn't help laughing the whole time because of how ridiculous it was. And the top gun stall, while racing, is one of the trippiest most unique elements I have experienced on a ride.

I have to say though...yesterday was the first time being told where to sit on a non-Disney coaster that I can remember (and even Disney seems to accommodate people who request the front on rides like Screamin, from what I've seen). Is this a new thing? Like, if I go to Silver Dollar City, do they assign me a seat on Outlaw Run? Maybe Deja Vu had assigned seating, and I later learned that Full Throttle does as well, but I can't really think of a time where I wasn't allowed to wait for a longer amount of time for the front or the back.

Most queues seem to allow for this; the front or the back cars have a larger waiting space (Ghostrider always comes to mind because of how insanely awesome the back was in the late 90's/early 2000's - I always waited the extra time to sit there.) I was bummed to see that TC does not seem to have a queue like this, from what I could tell.

Maybe this is temporary at this point, but I can imagine being fairly disappointed waiting over an hour with the intention of trying out the back, only to get assigned to the middle. Space Mountain, or Indiana Jones, I understand the need to assign seats (and the fact that it doesn't really matter where you sit), but for a ride that gives several distinctly different ride experiences, I would hope they would allow for this. On top of that, many people were just going where they wanted anyway. Some had the requests granted, and others didn't. It didn't really seem like they had the whole concept figured out, and even for a brief period of time where the ride had a 5 -10 minute wait, they were turning down the option to request seats.

A positive note: EVERY ride I took in the morning I raced on at least one circuit, without fail.

Today was amazing - I got at least 12 rides in before I had to call it quits, after riding so many times with little (20 minute) breaks in between, I couldn't handle it anymore.

Dueling gives this ride so much more than it already has, but proved to be quite difficult today. The train has to leave the station before the train entering the green lift is completely onto the lift (Or has completely exited the breaks). One train I was on was dispatched right at this cutoff and caught up to the train at the top, but another ride we went about a second after the 2nd train entered the lift and barely missed them.

A big difference in today was that a lot of people unfamiliar with the ride were riding - a handful of my rides I'd hear people saying "What? You ride both sides?" Two people asked the ride ops where the queue line for the other track was. I think with all the unfamiliar people came the first signs of how this ride will run with GP - A lot of people later in the day took their time to put their bags down which hindered dueling. Another thing is the size limit of this ride: if one person takes the walk of shame (And I'd say one did every 3-4 rides), it'd usually cause the ride to miss dueling by a second or two. In the beginning of the day the ops would wait for the other train of they missed a duel, but later on they started just cranking them out, causing for a lot more non-dueling rides.

Still no 3 train ops, I asked one of the manager-looking-ladies and she told me they'd probably use all 3 tomorrow but there were no plans in using 3 today. Seeing how much they have to rush around the get these trains to race every other cycle with 2 trains (having a break in between), I don't see it being a common occurence with 3. They'll have to be just as fast with every load, I think getting at least 1 duel on either side will be the common occurence, but getting to duel on both sides won't happen much after an hour or two of opening.

Yes the ride did open late for us gold pass members today - near 1pm. They did keep it open until 6, which was more than fair. For some reason Scream didn't open today at all like it did yesterday.

Just some personal thoughts on T.C. Just an absolutely great ride. Since Wednesday I've ridden it 46 times! An overwhelming number of those rides were dueling. The difference today was the ride was operated mostly by great rideops not "silver tagged" managers. Not sure where all these people came from.

Just a couple of observations that will become obvious soon to all:

The lap bar release has nothing to do with the pneumatic sound that normally releases them. It's a delayed release that has to be electrical.

The new men's room has only 1 urinal. What were they thinking?

No fans or TV's on the platform - yet.

The queue area seems small for the demand. It will always spill out into the outside of the ride.

Anyone know the exact model of drone they used to film TC? They said it is worth $30,000 but I can't find a camera drone that expensive from an internet search.

Could be this $4,000 drone with a $26,000 camera......

http://aeronavics.com/products/showroom/sky-jib-series/skyjib-8/

Pretty sure the one they were using was one from Free fly systems. I know for sure they were using one of their gimbals. Im kinda a drone nut so i found it extremely hard during the shoots not to stare at the drone.

Also you have to factor more in than just the cost of the drone. By the time u add fpv, flight controller, gimbal, and battery a 4,000 dollar price tag for the frame can almost double

Yes the ride did open late for us gold pass members today - near 1pm. They did keep it open until 6, which was more than fair. For some reason Scream didn't open today at all like it did yesterday.

Just some personal thoughts on T.C. Just an absolutely great ride. Since Wednesday I've ridden it 46 times! An overwhelming number of those rides were dueling. The difference today was the ride was operated mostly by great rideops not "silver tagged" managers. Not sure where all these people came from.

Just a couple of observations that will become obvious soon to all:

The lap bar release has nothing to do with the pneumatic sound that normally releases them. It's a delayed release that has to be electrical.

The new men's room has only 1 urinal. What were they thinking?

No fans or TV's on the platform - yet.

The queue area seems small for the demand. It will always spill out into the outside of the ride.

And the music loop in the queue is only 10 minutes long. I listened to it 12 times yesterday!

I will repeat myself again: yes the ride is brand new and it should be expected that there will be technical issues. However, the problem is that SFMM doesn't do anything to communicate this. I'd be disappointed too if I made a special trip to SFMM and missed out on dueling and had an extended wait time, even if I knew going on downtime is to be expected. But I wouldn't be as disappointed if SFMM employees were doing spiels, apologizing, providing updates...

They absolutely gave everyone a heads up. They sent an email to the passholders announcing the preview. Granted not everyone got the email but those who did not get the email likely heard about the Gold Passholder runs from an enthusiast site or other media source. If you are an enthusiast you should know that a brand new ride is going to have some hiccups.

The fact that it stayed open and operating nearly the entire time with only brief moments of downtime is amazing. Not even Disney or Universal can do that. Hell I was opening crew of a MAJOR attraction at Disney and during the first few months we would be lucky to have the damn thing operate for longer than 15 minutes without going 101.

SFMM is actually doing a really great job. If you don't like it that's on you.

Preview is different that a soft open/technical rehearsal. I got that e-mail. There was no warnings that this was a technical rehearsal. This was an e-mail blast to paying customers to come ride. If it was the film shoot or media day, I could give the park a free pass since those were days truly before it opened.

I also waited a half hour for them to open the queue on Thursday without a single ride employee walking the line trying to inform us of what was going on. That's my point. I get downtime is going to happen, especially with a new ride from a relatively new ride manufacturer---the reason SFMM is still SFMM is because they don't care and just think of the inconvenience as no big deal. It wouldn't have bothered me in any way shape or form if you couldn't see all the ride ops just standing around waiting for the techs to fix whatever they were working on. Those are ride ops and supervisors that could have (and IMO should have) been out engaging us waiting. Had they done that, I would have been very impressed.

The ride is a world class ride. The crew was definitely doing their best to hustle. It's just a shame they are missing that last little piece of how to properly handle downtime.

Edited by Jew