TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

From SF maintenance:

Fourth train coming in a couple weeks, BUT...

Twisted Colossus will NEVER run with more than 3 trains at once (at least according to them, and a senior guy in the corporate relations department). Also, rph is ~1000 according to the CR guy who "heard it from a friend"...

FYI.

Got a bunch of rides in today, and absolutely loved it! I'm not sure if it's my favorite of the RMC's, but it's in my overall top 5 somewhere. The ops were working very hard to crank the trains out. They now have it down to where if the guests cooperate, they can reliably duel. The only problem is that there's absolutely no margin for error. If anyone has to do the walk of shame, it's too late. If more than 3 or 4 bars have to be re-checked, it's probably too late. I imagine that when the ADA entrance is being used, that will become an issue as well. The time it takes for the trains to park and for the restraints to release isn't helping them much either. Again, the loaders were hauling a** pretty much all day. I never personally saw a failure to duel that wasn't related to a guest. Hopefully some of these obstacles can be reduced over the next few weeks so that common delays are manageable, and a guest's simple mistake doesn't throw things off.

I concur. Operations were quite good and they got out trains (later, train) quickly. Those who wanted to ride in the back asked and were told to wait at the front of the queue, but this might very well be a "sit where we say" ride as it is one wide to the stanchions and there is no dedicated space for "row 12" (back row). I don't think they will let people choke the line by asking to ride in the back, or, if they will, they will need a "queue ambassador" where the line fans out.

Left the line at 4:30 due to 1 train operation and an hour+ long line (I stood there for 15 minutes and barely moved), got over to X2 which was practically walk on, went on Viper and Ninja, came back at 5:45 and thankfully, they had 2 trains going. Got on the last ride of the preview for the day, and both trains got to ride twice because they wanted us to be able to duel, so we just kept sitting down so they could time it right. It was a nice surprise.

No issue for me when requesting the back seat, which I did appreciate.

One thing I noticed, which may or may not be true, is that it seems the restraints must go up and be re-locked/checked before the train leaves the station. So even if they have people re-ride and stay seated, they still have to go through and check the restraints. Not sure if it's completely true, but the times I've re-ridden they have gone through the restraints again. No complaints for the ride ops, they were working as hard as they could to get people on, so kudos to them.

BTW my comment earlier was just that I was super surprised the ride only had 1 train running, so I didn't mean for it to come off as complaining. I understand the preview days are going to have hiccups and the ride is still not officially open, so I have just been grateful to get a couple rides in before the GP gets their grimey hands on it. I do wonder though, when we will see 3 train operation as I don't believe I have seen it yet.

Got 15 rides in today, would have love to have gotten more but 1-train operations happened.

The ride is fantastic! Airtime all over the place, love the hill leading into the 'high five" . The racing and dueling aspect of this ride is SOOOOO COOOL! I'm glad I got to experience that aspect of the ride before the ride ops stop caring about syncing trains.

Really looking forward to see just how much more intense this ride will get once it starts operating in SFMM 100+ degree summers.

Wait TC is no preferred seating??? ^^^

In my experience, yes. I guess others are saying their requests were granted, but the 3 times I asked I was turned down, and I witnessed almost everyone else being turned down as well. I guess it depends on who's grouping people.

Was the wall to Screampunk District gone? Additionally, were there people actually checking for Gold Passes in order to access the ride?

All walls were gone. All they had were barricades set up where the walls were.

As for season passes, they were visually making sure you had a season pass card, the only problem with that is that all season passes look the same. So without a scanner, there was no way to block the lowere tiers of passes out of the preview.

The only time they scanned my card to make sure I was a gold pass holder was in the morning before early entry.

Wow. Came for preview day and the ride is running what looks to be one train.

WTF?

Thanks Magic Mountain.

Seriously? Wow.

You do know that technically it is considered the fine tuning period for a BRAND NEW RIDE and as such things happen that may or may not be out of the park's control and you do also realize that this is not the first time this has ever happened on a ride anywhere ever.... right? Add to that you really don't know exactly why this happened and it could be numerous things yet you just quickly jump to the conclusion it's SFMM that is to blame.

Bashing the park already?

Fine. No TC for you then.

One thing I noticed, which may or may not be true, is that it seems the restraints must go up and be re-locked/checked before the train leaves the station. So even if they have people re-ride and stay seated, they still have to go through and check the restraints. Not sure if it's completely true, but the times I've re-ridden they have gone through the restraints again. No complaints for the ride ops, they were working as hard as they could to get people on, so kudos to them.

that rarely happened during filming days. we just came in, they said don't touch anything, then sent us on our way. tuesday, they might have touched the handles, then ran back. so i know they definitely don't have to touch the restraints, at least every time.

I will repeat myself again: yes the ride is brand new and it should be expected that there will be technical issues. However, the problem is that SFMM doesn't do anything to communicate this. I'd be disappointed too if I made a special trip to SFMM and missed out on dueling and had an extended wait time, even if I knew going on downtime is to be expected. But I wouldn't be as disappointed if SFMM employees were doing spiels, apologizing, providing updates...

Was the wall to Screampunk District gone? Additionally, were there people actually checking for Gold Passes in order to access the ride?

All walls were gone. All they had were barricades set up where the walls were.

As for season passes, they were visually making sure you had a season pass card, the only problem with that is that all season passes look the same. So without a scanner, there was no way to block the lowere tiers of passes out of the preview.

The only time they scanned my card to make sure I was a gold pass holder was in the morning before early entry.

They know by what the number of the barcode is.

So when people were mentioning bruised legs, I really thought that was just hyperbole. Then I went on Twisted Colossus fifteen times. I'm so bruised up I don't know if I can do day two of the preview.

Also, did anybody ride in the back of the blue car just before they took it off? About an hour or so into the day I started feeling a really weird vibration happening in the back half of the train, was wondering if I was crazy or if anyone else noticed.

Highlights of TC in no order:

- First drops in the back.

- Dueling on the green side (I personally think the best moment is watching the blue train spiral around you right before the double-up.)

- The lift hills when dueling.

- Any part where the trains are racing side by side.

- The twist out of the green stall.

- Making eye contact with someone in the high five or top gun.

I will repeat myself again: yes the ride is brand new and it should be expected that there will be technical issues. However, the problem is that SFMM doesn't do anything to communicate this. I'd be disappointed too if I made a special trip to SFMM and missed out on dueling and had an extended wait time, even if I knew going on downtime is to be expected. But I wouldn't be as disappointed if SFMM employees were doing spiels, apologizing, providing updates...

They absolutely gave everyone a heads up. They sent an email to the passholders announcing the preview. Granted not everyone got the email but those who did not get the email likely heard about the Gold Passholder runs from an enthusiast site or other media source. If you are an enthusiast you should know that a brand new ride is going to have some hiccups.

The fact that it stayed open and operating nearly the entire time with only brief moments of downtime is amazing. Not even Disney or Universal can do that. Hell I was opening crew of a MAJOR attraction at Disney and during the first few months we would be lucky to have the damn thing operate for longer than 15 minutes without going 101.

SFMM is actually doing a really great job. If you don't like it that's on you.

Also when a brand new ride goes down sometimes there isn't anything to announce. Sometimes the ride ops and maintenance might not know why a ride goes down...It could be a simple easy to fix issue or the train fell off the rails. The point is when you are still learning a ride you never know how serious an issue is until you have experienced it and when you don't know you have nothing to communicate. They could have cleared the queue each time a minor downtime happened Would that have been ok with you?

Wait TC is no preferred seating??? ^^^

We kept getting Row 9 so I finally asked if we could go to 1 or 2. No - we are trying to fill the train. Some people just didn't listen and went where they wanted - that's how I saw people getting the front or back when it wasn't their designated row.

It's really amazing to me how huge of a splash RMC is making in the industry. I really wouldn't be shocked to see all of their rides place in the top 10 of lists of people who have been on them. I've been on two (NTAG and IRAT) and both are stunningly good coasters, I figure I'll eventually pick up Twisted Colossus as well as my third RMC coaster. The last time I can recall a company having this level of popularity among the enthusiast community was back in the mid to late 90's when B&M was coming into it's own.

^Glad I didn't drive up again this morning like I was considering.

So they ran it really late last night for grad night (unannounced) but then couldn't get it ready for their passholders? (Announced). I'm not surprised people are mad.

To avoid the incoming hate from certain people on here, I attach another disclaimer....

*I absolutely love this ride and understand that it will have technical difficulties. I just feel bad for people who don't understand that (general public) and were given no reason to think it wouldn't be ready*