TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

How exciting! This ride looks absolutely incredible. I've never actually gone to an opening day for a new ride before, so I think I'm going to brave the crowds on Saturday and get my first ride(s) in then.

I hope the park can find a way to keep the dueling going. It looks to really add to the ride experience as Robb's thumbnail on the POV video shows.

I hope the park can find a way to keep the dueling going. It looks to really add to the ride experience as Robb's thumbnail on the POV video shows.

They could do so, but it would slow down the queue. They would have to load each train in about 60 seconds (which won't happen) or they would have to stall the first train on the hill until the second train loads. Realistically, I think the high five moments will be very rare as someone else pointed out.

They could do so, but it would slow down the queue. They would have to load each train in about 60 seconds (which won't happen) or they would have to stall the first train on the hill until the second train loads. Realistically, I think the high five moments will be very rare as someone else pointed out.

i went to reply and was thinking it's less than 2 minutes, then i read 60 seconds...i see what you did there. LOL

i know someone had said an onride photo was going to be somewhere on the blue track. but, there was no sign of it anywhere, along with some kind of booth near the exit. does anyone know the plans for this, if at all? just curious.

i went to reply and was thinking it's less than 2 minutes, then i read 60 seconds...i see what you did there. LOL

i know someone had said an onride photo was going to be somewhere on the blue track. but, there was no sign of it anywhere, along with some kind of booth near the exit. does anyone know the plans for this, if at all? just curious.

I've never been a fan of on-ride photos, but if they set it up at the right spot where you could get both trains dueling, it might make for a very cool picture.

From what I observed I don't think an on-ride photo is in the works. At the filming I didn't even see a set up for a booth to display the photos. I'm hoping one gets added and I find it strange that the park's newest headliner wouldn't include one, but from what I saw on Tuesday, I don't think it will be included.

Looking the the ride video......

0:00 Train A leaves station.

0:30 Train A starts climbing blue track.

1:30 Train B leaves station.

2:00 Train A starts climbing green track at the same time that Train B climbs blue track.

3:30 Train B climbs green track alone.

4:30 Train A unloads.

So non-stop racing is impossible. In order to have frequent racing trains, they must stall each new train on the ascent until the next train loads which will add hours to the ride wait time.

Looking the the ride video......

0:00 Train A leaves station.

0:30 Train A starts climbing blue track.

1:30 Train B leaves station.

2:00 Train A starts climbing green track at the same time that Train B climbs blue track.

3:30 Train B climbs green track alone.

4:30 Train A unloads.

So non-stop racing is impossible. In order to have frequent racing trains, they must stall each new train on the ascent until the next train loads which will add hours to the ride wait time.

They would have to run four trains to have nonstop racing, and probably a dual loading station to a get a train out on time to sync. I guess the best we can hope for is racing on half the ride.

^^Wouldn't they have known that before the ride was actually open (or even built)? Anyway, it looks awesome and tons of fun, but I think it's undeniable that being able to duel is more exiting.

I would agree with you if they are using 2 train operations with a 4 minute total ride time, you would want the trains getting back to the station as fast as possible and dueling will be rare. However, if they are using 3 trains, I do not see how running the "green" side through with out dueling will move the queue any faster.

Lets see if I can describe why the two sides should always duel with 3 train operations in a hypothetical situation...Train A completes the blue track and is ready to go up the green lift hill. Train B is in the leaves the station and is perfectly timed with Train A through their course. While that happens Train C is loading in the station. Unfortunately, Train C is taking a little longer than the prescribed 60 seconds to load up. At this point, Train A is now waiting on the blocks behind the station and Train B has two options, wait at the blocks before the green lift for Train C, or go up the green lift and complete the circuit. For this hypothetical situation lets say that Train B continues on with out Train C. Train C takes a little longer than expected and Train B is already off the lift and half way through the course when Train C dispatches. Train A enters the station and begins to swap out its passengers and Train B enters the blocks before the station about 10 seconds after Train A got to the station. Train B then waits on the blocks until Train A is ready to be dispatched and this cycle is repeated until the day is done.

From riding Outlaw Run and Goliath at SFGAm, it is not out of the question to see 2:30-4 minute dispatch times on these rides. If that's the case, there are two options, stack one train in the break run and one before the green lift, or stack both on the break run. One train will always be stacked unless they hit a 45-60 second dispatch which is extremely unlikely and if they do hit that dispatch, then the trains will duel anyway. My point is this, regardless of how slow the dispatches are, the train on the blue track will have to wait to enter the station or to start the green lift, personally, I'd rather wait before the green lift and duel every time...but that's just me.

Yeah, they would need to reopen the other loading track and increase number of trains and then have an automated track-switcher that puts both tracks onto one track like the one on California Screamin. To save even more time, they could lengthen the station to allow simultaneous loading and unloading on each loading track like Disney World's Rockin Rollercoaster. There will always be people who take a long time to unbuckle the seatbelt.

Edited by mike932

^ The ride is amazing even without the dueling, but it really makes it extra special when it does duel. Will it duel in the real world when you have the GP taking their time and not feeling rushed (like at the film shoots)? It's highly doubtful. Or at best, rarely. Is the ride amazing without dueling? Hell yes!

I have to agree with these comments, the ride is incredible without the dueling but the dueling pushes it to a whole other level. I was lucky enough to attend the shoot on Tuesday and get to ride TC 19 times, including the 7 in a row marathon. And after 19 rides, I would've ridden it 19 more times if they would've let me--the ride is just that good! I've never been on an RMC before and TC blew all of my expectations out of the water. The airtime is constant and amazing, you are out of your seat as much as you are in it. The ride is very smooth and feels a lot faster than the stated 57 MPH. My favorite element though has got to be the Top Gun stall, it's something I've never experienced on a coaster and it's almost a weightless feeling as you are going through it. The Top Gun is even better when there's another train below you, it's hard to explain the feeling of being completely upside down and seeing another train below you. The zero-g roll is also amazing when dueling, if SFMM can get the timing down this ride will blow people's minds. But even if it doesn't duel, TC has so much airtime and unique elements that I expect it to be a major hit with the GP.

Kudos to SFMM for providing us enthusiasts with the opportunity to be a part of the media shoot and getting to ride this amazing coaster before the GP. It was a long day with several long waits between rides, but none of that mattered when you were on the ride. The "actors" seemed almost annoyed to be there, but the enthusiasm from the TPR members and other coaster fans never wavered. It was great to meet other posters and get to talk coasters with you. All in all, it was an incredible day and I feel very lucky to have been a part of it.

All in all, it was an incredible day and I feel very lucky to have been a part of it.

I was also impressed with the free snacks, drinks, Panera catering, and free gift at the end of the day. They didn't have to do any of this.

At first when I heard 30 seconds, I didn't believe it. how could SFMM get stuck in a corner like that? They'd have to know 30 secnods isn't long enough. Looking at this video:

it looks to me like this is the timeline:

Time in seconds

Dispatch: T=0

Reaches Blue Lift: T=30

Reaches Green Lift: T=120

Returns to station: T=240

This gives you 90 seconds between dispatches for the first few trains, but once you reach steady state you're in trouble.

Under an ideal situation with 3 train operation:

T=0: Train 1 dispatches

T=30: Train 1 reaches blue lift

T=90: Train 2 dispatches.

T=120: Train 1 reaches green lift, Train 2 reaches blue lift.

T=180: Train 3 dispatches

T=210: Train 2 reaches green lift, Train 3 reaches blue lift

And now we get into the spot where we're in trouble. Only 30 seconds turn around for Train 1

T=240: Train 1 returns

T=270: train 1 dispatches

T=300: Train 3 reaches green lift, Train 1 reaches blue lift.

T=330: Train 2 returns

T=360: Train 2 dispatches

T=390: Train 1 reaches green lift, Train 2 reaches blue lift

T=420: Train 3 returns

So yes you folks are right. 30second dispatches with 3 trains. I just don't see that happening. Even if you tease the lift hill speeds a bit you're only going to squeeze another 5-10 seconds out of that. This ride doesn't duel without 4 trains. That's what it takes to maintain the 90 second dispatch times.