TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Some more media footage from the media day with Gayle Anderson and Tony Mc Ewing, both have been probably to every coaster opening at SFMM for the past 20 years and they enjoy each and every second of it (Tony more compared to Gayle, but they are both fun)

http://ktla.com/2015/05/20/twisted-colossus/

http://www.myfoxla.com/clip/11516457/tony-mcewing-rides-the-new-39twisted-colossus39-rollercoaster

Some more media footage from the media day with Gayle Anderson and Tony Mc Ewing, both have been probably to every coaster opening at SFMM for the past 20 years and they enjoy each and every second of it (Tony more compared to Gayle, but they are both fun)

http://www.myfoxla.com/clip/11516457/tony-mcewing-rides-the-new-39twisted-colossus39-rollercoaster

I can remember them being there for both Deja Vu and X (and maybe Scream!). Always got the sense that both of them loved to volunteer for this assignment.

I really hope this is the ride the finally get parks to concentrate more on experience then gimmicks. I can't believe how receptive the GP are. It might mean longer lines to get in this guy, but I can't complain.

with the stern enough instructions both days on not bringing anything with you, too bad for whoever lost phones. if you lost a wallet, should have been more prepared.

i want to see the POV iphone video from the "actor" guy. good thing SFMM paid him $400 to not follow directions.

Those "talent" people were extremely annoying. They acted like they were above the rules and when I was in the trailer during some of the downtime they were all sitting there complaining and talking about how they wanted their overtime if they went too long there. Another one was borrowing everyone else's phones to call his talent agency to get more jobs. I saw the guy who took the "pov" video editing it in the trailer and it was nothing more than a shaky unviewable mess that mainly had the camera looking at the seat in front of him.

I really hope this is the ride the finally get parks to concentrate more on experience then gimmicks. I can't believe how receptive the GP are. It might mean longer lines to get in this guy, but I can't complain.

Somehow I don't think this is the ride one would choose to describe an 'experience' over a 'gimmick'. It's two half-minute laps above a parking lot, strung together so Magic Mountain could claim that they had the longest hybrid in the world.

Not opposed to the ride, mind you - just not convinced any park is going to consider this particular ride as some turning point where suddenly rider experience matters over marketable gimmick. It is a gimmick - it just happens that RMC pulled off a good ride in the process.

First off..

Somehow I don't think this is the ride one would choose to describe an 'experience' over a 'gimmick'. It's two half-minute laps above a parking lot, strung together so Magic Mountain could claim that they had the longest hybrid in the world.

^ hahahahah

Second, I think I may have finally realized why I'm so head over heels over the color scheme on this ride-

Not opposed to the ride, mind you - just not convinced any park is going to consider this particular ride as some turning point where suddenly rider experience matters over marketable gimmick. It is a gimmick - it just happens that RMC pulled off a good ride in the process.

Going on this, I think that means that basically means every ride is a gimmick of some kind.

Jeez, Six Flags couldn't even wait a week to start running the ride below maximum capacity?

The ride is open to the public for a week? That's news to me. It is clear SFMM is using this week to see how it is best to operate and adjust operations. Smart move actually. I am with you critisising the park on poor operations, but doing so BEFORE the ride even opens to the public is a little much.

So what you're saying is instead of using this week to dial in the operation at maximum capacity, they are using to figure out how to have the ride duel at less than maximum capacity? If that's not a telling sign of what is to come....

I completely disagree with those saying that this ride is a gimmick. If this one is a gimmick, then every other RMC must also be. If you have a problem with the fact that this is over a parking lot, you had since 1978 to complain about that.

However, I do not believe that this is a turning point, nor do I care. I think that the next addition will be as much a gimmick as the last few attritions before this one. This addition is more than likely the exception to a string of mediocre additions. But, TC is one very great exception. So much so, that doubt I will have much concern over what they build on the future. This is the ride I am going to the park for, and it will probably be that way for a long time.

Haha! I love her helmet. I grew up watching Gayle Anderson ride SFMM coasters.

I remember watching her ride Superman: The Escape when it opened! It was a huge deal.

Side note: Scream's paint looks WAY better now! Nice job.

I completely disagree with those saying that this ride is a gimmick. If this one is a gimmick, then every other RMC must also be. If you have a problem with the fact that this is over a parking lot, you had since 1978 to complain about that.

However, I do not believe that this is a turning point, nor do I care. I think that the next addition will be as much a gimmick as the last few attritions before this one. This addition is more than likely the exception to a string of mediocre additions. But, TC is one very great exception. So much so, that doubt I will have much concern over what they build on the future. This is the ride I am going to the park for, and it will probably be that way for a long time.

For me, the beauty of this ride is that it really rounds off the experience you get from going to Magic Mountain in a much more exciting way. You have the biggest loop in the world with Full Throttle. An insane ride with X2. A giant drop with Goliath. A backwards 100mph launch with Superman. A flying coaster above the park with Tatsu. A 400 Foot drop tower with Lex Luthor. Batman for the suspended looper. Ninja, Revolution, Gold rusher, and Apocalypse for people looking for "tamer" rides. Viper, Riddler, and Scream for tons of loops. And finally the wacky airtime machine of Twisted Colossus, with an awesome racing element.

So does that make it a turning point for the park? Probably not. But it's really good where it is now with its lineup of coasters. Now all it really needs is a focus on general park improvements like we all hope. But they might not find that completely necessary.

So what you're saying is instead of using this week to dial in the operation at maximum capacity, they are using to figure out how to have the ride duel at less than maximum capacity? If that's not a telling sign of what is to come....

Just so we are clear, I love bashing the park whenever I can HOWEVER in this instance I don't think they needed to run all 3 trains for a photoshoot when they were constantly moving riders around to get desired shots. I get what you're saying, BUT RMC's engineers/mechanics were working on the Blue train yesterday so might have been out of the park's control. I do agree with you though that during their training of the operators, if all 3 trains were available then they should've ran full capacity to get things dialed in operational wise. I'll be honest and say that I think once they add in regular guests with their personal belongings, not being sure if they want to ride, etc..... loading the trains and hitting the dispatch interval to get them to duel is going to be a disaster and extremely inconsistent.

Jeez, Six Flags couldn't even wait a week to start running the ride below maximum capacity?

The ride is open to the public for a week? That's news to me. It is clear SFMM is using this week to see how it is best to operate and adjust operations. Smart move actually. I am with you critisising the park on poor operations, but doing so BEFORE the ride even opens to the public is a little much.

The park adjust ride operations now. If they had to work on one train, better now vs Saturday. I know you love to talk down the park, fair enough as this is your opinion and this is a messageboard to exchange different opinions, but to bash the park for a ride that is not even officially open really makes no sense as you/me dont know what it takes to get this ride running properly.

I will gladly talk about this in 6 months if TC wont race or they only have one train operating and give you props for knowing it all along, but at this point, it is just an assumption on your part based on nothing.

I still think it is very telling that they are already working so hard on the timing for two trains...I hope I'm wrong.

I also wouldn't say it is based on nothing. What ride at SFMM has consistently been able to keep a full fleet of trains running? Extra trains either get cannibalized for parts or stay out of service forever because SFMM doesn't have the proper manpower to get the rehabs done on time.

As much as I would like to think that will happen........after the opening summer that will most likely not be the case. As Joey said, I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by DJeXeL

There's no use arguing with certain individuals regarding MM. They find every reason to pick apart the park and totally ignore that MM now has the best coaster in California and potentially a top 5 steel coaster.

I personally think MM can get a 75% dueling rate with consistency, and to be honest the dueling action is only a fraction of what makes the ride amazing. Take out the dueling aspect and you STILL have an amazing coaster.

^ That seems very optimistic. How long did Tatsu run at full capacity before they canked that?

We'll see how it plays out. There's enough other star attraction rides now that crowd distribution shouldn't be too bad, especially now they have another star attraction occupying the scream punk section of the park. It should also drive more people to Scream which I don't think has ever had a significantly long line.

Edited by Gnome

About 3 months after Scream opened I was at the park on a Sunday in the Summer. I remember being shocked when in the middle of the afternoon, the coaster was nearly a walk on. For whatever reason, that ride has just never attracted crowds.

Let me join in on the praise for this ride. I did the filming yesterday and it was INCREDIBLE.

My thighs are literally sore from getting slammed into the lapbar due to all the airtime (I got in over 20 rides.... Not necciaarilly by choice...) There is no moment on this ride that didn't blow away my expectations, and the dueling aspect brings SO much to the table.

They really are trying to get the timing right for dueling. It's of course going to be very difficult, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt until it actually opens.

The rides seems like a backseat ride to me, but I kept being chosen to be put in rows 3-5, so I couldn't honestly tell you, but it's still great in the front!

some of us really didn't believe the 200 or whatever number he said and laughed about it. but i guess it could be true. seemed more like he was exaggerating the way he was telling the story.

guy from corporate is named Guillermo. he rode in front of me that last batch.

with the stern enough instructions both days on not bringing anything with you, too bad for whoever lost phones. if you lost a wallet, should have been more prepared.

Lol. That's me. I lost my wallet on the ride. Oops. Honestly, though, I have never been on a ride that is so willing to fling your stuff like that! I thought a back pocket wallet would be safe! Guess not.

Again, if Twisted Colossus only had 3 trains, I'd have no doubt that we would see two train operation all the time. However it will have four trains which enables the park to have one train constantly in rehab and the other three on the ride.

That seems to be Six Flags' strategy on bigger rides with 3 trains: 1 train will always be cannibalized for parts or in rehab. I honestly never expect Tatsu to run with three trains, which sucks.