TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I have a few minutes to write my full thoughts on Twisted Colossus.

I'll preface my review that I have never anticipated a coaster more than this one. I've been waiting for this to happen to Colossus ever since I saw the first drop on New Texas Giant being constructed. I remember at a WCB 4 years ago that some of the management had flew to Texas and LOVED the coaster, so I knew to sit patiently and wait for California to finally receive the airtime machine that they had desperately needed. Then the clues started piling in and the announcement came, 18 moments of airtime, I was beyond excited! Watching for the past nine months have been grueling, but I knew my patience would pay off. I had my first chance to ride Twisted Colossus yesterday, and it was absolutely everything I wanted/needed it to be, California FINALLY has a "Top Tier Coaster"!

Now for my ride, when they say "18 moments of airtime," it is NOT an exaggeration. There is so much time out of your seat on this ride, it is anything but dull. Each first drop is very similar, pure ejector all the way down in the back seat. There's a "kink" on each drop where it slightly turns right and it's quite interesting to feel that turn while being ejected out of your seat! The small pop after the drop is exactly that, just one split second of airtime (similar to the small pops on GCI coasters, but stronger airtime). Then comes the hill into the high five... you have sustained airtime everywhere in the train, but especially in the front! The green side is even crazier because of the bank that you enter while still being ejected. The high five is strange, but in a good way! The blue side is neat, definitely slightly mellower than the green, you feel like your sideways for SO long. The green side of the high five is insane, you are ejected sideways towards the blue side, it's ridiculously quick, like the I305/Maverick transitions! The double down is great too, whipped through the element VERY fast. But the blue drop under the double down is a true highlight of the ride, in the back row you are out of your seat for a very sustained amount of time. In fact, this part of the blue side is insane with ejector airtime, after that drop, you get a nice/small pop of airtime into the full airtime hill under the stall. This hill felt like an El Toro hill where your are purely ejected the WHOLE time, amazing! The stall on the green side is amazing to, a very strange feeling and probably the most comfortable "hangtime" I've felt on a ride, just really smooth. Next was the blue zero-g roll which was very good, very fast, and had a unique turn going through it (you'll be able to tell once a POV comes out). I wish B&M still made elements with transitions this fast (the zero-g felt as fast as Kumba's). Finally on the ride, we had the double up and the outward bank. The double up had decent pops of airtime, not very sustained, but still amazing. The outward bank is best in the front, kind of an odd element, just one more example of TC trying to throw you out of the train! The coaster as a whole is very smooth, but with all the quick transitions ("twisty-ness") it can throw you around a bit, I had to occasionally brace myself a bit. The dueling was great too, a lot of fun to look at the other riders, another level of uniqueness to the experience!

The ride is seriously amazing you guys. It completed exceeded my (very high) expectations. I couldn't have asked for more (which is something that SFMM is guilty of... Full Throttle...). If you live in California and haven't travelled outside and experienced real ejector airtime, you NEED to ride this, like NOW! It's without a doubt, the BEST coaster in the state, absolutely amazing! I can't wait to hear more reviews, especially from people who have ridden more coasters than I have.

For anyone wondering, Twisted Colossus comes in at #4 on my favorite steel coasters. I have a clear preference for Intamin coasters, but now it looks like there's a new company in town that can compete with them! I need to get out to SDC, the Texas parks, and Mexico to get on more of these RMCs. They're insane!

1. Intimidator 305

2. Bizarro

3. Skyrush

4. Twisted Colossus

5. Millennium Force

6. Maverick

7. Goliath (SFOG)

8. Storm Runner

9. Nitro

10. SheiKra

Recent reports have noted that "They're getting the timing down so that two trains are always racing".

timing of mechanics of the lift hill('s) or of the crews shoving general public in? the last time i went to SF:DK I got in the back row of Roar and the old couple directly in front of me the wife tried to sit down with a napsack bag. I really wanted to shout "Really!?" but held my tongue. then they were shutting the gates and she was standing in the middle of it not sure to exit from the entrance or the exit. Meanwhile the ride attendants aren't doing a whole lot.

Hope TC never gets to that point of workers not caring and ejecting people from the line before they get in line let alone inside of the boarding area.

Can someone PLEASE clarify what makes Insane considered a top 10 ride, yet green lantern (a CLONE), gets bashed so much by the community?? I'm extremely confused.

I think it's mainly because Insane's cars aren't tightened so much that they no longer flip.

Can someone PLEASE clarify what makes Insane considered a top 10 ride, yet green lantern (a CLONE), gets bashed so much by the community?? I'm extremely confused.

SFMM added weights to the vehicle to limit the amount of flipping the cars do. Instead of rotating over the edges as intended, the cars don't always flip, which is quite painful since you are being thrown into the restraint.

I'll preface my review that I have never anticipated a coaster more than this one. I've been waiting for this to happen to Colossus ever since I saw the first drop on New Texas Giant being constructed. I remember at a WCB 4 years ago that some of the management had flew to Texas and LOVED the coaster, so I knew to sit patiently and wait for California to finally receive the airtime machine that they had desperately needed. Then the clues started piling in and the announcement came, 18 moments of airtime, I was beyond excited! Watching for the past nine months have been grueling, but I knew my patience would pay off. I had my first chance to ride Twisted Colossus yesterday, and it was absolutely everything I wanted/needed it to be, California FINALLY has a "Top Tier Coaster"!

Now for my ride, when they say "18 moments of airtime," it is NOT an exaggeration. There is so much time out of your seat on this ride, it is anything but dull. Each first drop is very similar, pure ejector all the way down in the back seat. There's a "kink" on each drop where it slightly turns right and it's quite interesting to feel that turn while being ejected out of your seat! The small pop after the drop is exactly that, just one split second of airtime (similar to the small pops on GCI coasters, but stronger airtime). Then comes the hill into the high five... you have sustained airtime everywhere in the train, but especially in the front! The green side is even crazier because of the bank that you enter while still being ejected. The high five is strange, but in a good way! The blue side is neat, definitely slightly mellower than the green, you feel like your sideways for SO long. The green side of the high five is insane, you are ejected sideways towards the blue side, it's ridiculously quick, like the I305/Maverick transitions! The double down is great too, whipped through the element VERY fast. But the blue drop under the double down is a true highlight of the ride, in the back row you are out of your seat for a very sustained amount of time. In fact, this part of the blue side is insane with ejector airtime, after that drop, you get a nice/small pop of airtime into the full airtime hill under the stall. This hill felt like an El Toro hill where your are purely ejected the WHOLE time, amazing! The stall on the green side is amazing to, a very strange feeling and probably the most comfortable "hangtime" I've felt on a ride, just really smooth. Next was the blue zero-g roll which was very good, very fast, and had a unique turn going through it (you'll be able to tell once a POV comes out). I wish B&M still made elements with transitions this fast (the zero-g felt as fast as Kumba's). Finally on the ride, we had the double up and the outward bank. The double up had decent pops of airtime, not very sustained, but still amazing. The outward bank is best in the front, kind of an odd element, just one more example of TC trying to throw you out of the train! The coaster as a whole is very smooth, but with all the quick transitions ("twisty-ness") it can throw you around a bit, I had to occasionally brace myself a bit. The dueling was great too, a lot of fun to look at the other riders, another level of uniqueness to the experience!

The ride is seriously amazing you guys. It completed exceeded my (very high) expectations. I couldn't have asked for more (which is something that SFMM is guilty of... YOLOcoaster...). If you live in California and haven't travelled outside and experienced real ejector airtime, you NEED to ride this, like NOW! It's without a doubt, the BEST coaster in the state, absolutely amazing! I can't wait to hear more reviews, especially from people who have ridden more coasters than I have.

For anyone wondering, Twisted Colossus comes in at #4 on my favorite steel coasters. I have a clear preference for Intamin coasters, but now it looks like there's a new company in town that can compete with them! I need to get out to SDC, the Texas parks, and Mexico to get on more of these RMCs. They're insane!

1. Intimidator 305

2. Bizarro

3. Skyrush

4. Twisted Colossus

5. Millennium Force

6. Maverick

7. Goliath (SFOG)

8. Storm Runner

9. Nitro

10. SheiKra

What a review! Thanks for basically forcing my hand in buying plane tix to CA. ANY doubts lingering about if I should go to WCB have been put to rest.

Instead of rotating over the edges as intended, the cars don't always flip, which is quite painful

Or thrilling and fun depending on who you ask.

Exactly, GL is one of my favorites in the park. It does hurt a bit but not as much as X2, Viper, Scream, and Revolution IMO. It's good in a way that so many people dislike GL cause the line doesnt tend to get too lengthy.

What a review! Thanks for basically forcing my hand in buying plane tix to CA. ANY doubts lingering about if I should go to WCB have been put to rest.

No problem! Looking at your top coasters in your signature, we have a very similar top ten list, so I can tell you that you will not regret it!!

I also had the opportunity to ride Twisted Colossus yesterday, and I can certainly say that I am blown away. I previously resigned myself to the idea that I'd never have a top 10 steel coaster in my home state, but I have now been proven wrong.

Twisted Colossus is far superior to any other roller coaster in the state of California, and without any doubt, the SoCal GP are going to be shocked when they get hit with their first bit of real ejector airtime. I have been waiting so many years for the west coast to receive a coaster that delivers ejector air, and Twisted Colossus provides precisely that. While it's not Skyrush or El Toro, certain sections can be compared to moments on those coasters. The main drops (off each lift hill), the blue drop after the high five, the blue airtime hill under the top gun stall, and the green double down all posses true, powerful, ejector airtime, much of which is sustained. The entire coaster is absolutely excellent in the front and back rows. I highly suggest everyone come out to Magic Mountain and take a ride on the coaster that stands firmly, in my mind at least, as the best coaster on the West Coast.

And, because I like chickenbowl's idea so much, I'll include my current top 10 steel coasters below for reference in regards to the types of coasters I like.

1. Skyrush

2. Bizzaro (SFNE)

3. Twisted Colossus

4. Storm Runner

5. Goliath (La Ronde)

6. SheiKra

7. Fahrenheit

8. Dragon Challenge (Chinese Fireball)

9. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit

10. Nitro/Raging Bull (tie)

Just left the filming early unfortuantly because my girlfriend was sick and wanted to go home. The ride is AMAZING. Like chickenbowl said ive been anticipating this ride for years and its simply amazing to have a RMC creation so close. The airtime is endless and there are so many low headchoppers it feels like ur hands are litterally going to touch it. This is definitly the new #1 coaster for me (havent done an east coast coastee trip), and will easily be a #1 on the west coast for just about everyone.

When it comes to dueling tho thats when things i think will ultimately lie with how much the park wante it to duel. Getting the timing right was pretty good today but there were times where it was definilty off. When the timing was perfect it was amazing, but it seemed like anything could throw it off. If the green lift would slow down more i think the chances of this thing dueling consitantly would be higher. Overall tho this is going to be a monster hit for the park

No problem! Looking at your top coasters in your signature, we have a very similar top ten list, so I can tell you that you will not regret it!!

Yeah I'm expecting one of these RMCs to possibly take #1 finally!

The ride is seriously amazing you guys. It completed exceeded my (very high) expectations. I couldn't have asked for more (which is something that SFMM is guilty of... YOLOcoaster...). If you live in California and haven't travelled outside and experienced real ejector airtime, you NEED to ride this, like NOW! It's without a doubt, the BEST coaster in the state, absolutely amazing! I can't wait to hear more reviews, especially from people who have ridden more coasters than I have.

1. Intimidator 305

2. Bizarro

3. Skyrush

4. Twisted Colossus

5. Millennium Force

6. Maverick

7. Goliath (SFOG)

8. Storm Runner

9. Nitro

10. SheiKra

Wow great review. Thanks so much! I wont be back in the area till late august/september but Im very much looking forward to it. I feel like I can finally stop complaining about yolo and just... Let it go

The coaster as a whole is very smooth, but with all the quick transitions ("twisty-ness") it can throw you around a bit, I had to occasionally brace myself a bit.

For me, the only 'bumpy' part on TC is that last half of the green double-down, as it sets up to the stall. For some reason, every time, the train kinda makes this jerky maneuver to the right at that part. Nothing drastic, but it stands out compared to the perfection of the rest of the ride

For me, the only 'bumpy' part on TC is that last half of the green double-down, as it sets up to the stall. For some reason, every time, the train kinda makes this jerky maneuver to the right at that part. Nothing drastic, but it stands out compared to the perfection of the rest of the ride

I LOVE that part, one of my favorite parts of the ride!

Besides the drops, mine is solidly that blue hill coming out of the high-five... WOW (from the back seat)!!!

Besides the drops, mine is solidly that blue hill coming out of the high-five... WOW (from the back seat)!!!

OMG yessssss, it WHIPS you over that hill!! The small hump after it is amazing air too!! And then that El Toro-ish hill under the top gun stall Shout out to the second hill on the double up too!!! F*ck the whole damn ride is amazing, there isn't a dull moment

I also noticed that, that's actually the part I was thinking of when I wrote that. I think it's that the train banks downward really quick and has a good lateral shift. It's not bad per say, but if your arms are up (like mine) it can definitely jerk you a bit.

AGREED! And then to follow with the small hop into the sustained ejector hill under the stall.... Airtime Buffet!!!

Considering that both media days are tomorrow (I think TC is tomorrow), which media day, if any, do you think Alan Shilke will attend? I know WC is tomorrow but I'm on the east coast so I haven't been following TC

i jokingly yelled at one of the RMC guys today telling him to tell Alan i'll give him a hand job and he replied back, tell him yourself, he'll be here tomorrow. so, i'm guessing he's coming to TC.

AGREED! And then to follow with the small hop into the sustained ejector hill under the stall.... Airtime Buffet!!!

YES, yes, and YES .... that blue hill out of the high-five, that nice airtime hill after it (for some reason I was expecting the little airtime hill after the drop was gonna be better, but this one is), and that airtime hill under the stall ... back to back to back (that sequence is my favorite series of elements of the entire ride)... but overall, I would still SLIGHTLY give the edge to the green side.... slightly!

Just got home from the commercial filming and I have to agree and say Twisted Colossus is one of the greatest rides ever made. Growing up just outside of Cleveland, I was definitely spoiled by being so close to Cedar Point, however I must say this ride is just as good, if not better than anything at CP with the exception of Maverick, IMO. I managed 15 rides today, including a 7 ride marathon while they tried to get the perfect shot with the trains dueling. SFMM was definitely trying to get those trains to duel and at one point had 8 attendants in order to get the 2nd train dispatched in time!

The ride is simply incredible, with the green side winning for me. The blue side is a great ride, but that green side is just incredible! My favorite part of the ride definitely has to be the Top Gun Stall. Its simply amazing hanging upside down, looking down and seeing a train rushing below you. The netting does NOT detract from this element at all, IMO. For whatever reason, the High 5 seemed to be the hardest to synchronize. The green side always seemed to be ahead no matter how fast that 2nd train was dispatched. Overall, I managed to get 4 rides that dueled, with the last 2 rides of the day definitely being the best dueling. When the ride doesn't duel, it is still an amazing ride, however when it does get that perfect matchup, it truly brings the experience to a whole different level. That little extra kick at the start of the ride isn't really a launch, more of the kicker wheels set on a higher speed to give the ride an extra oomph over those first small hills.

The Screampunk District looks really amazing, glad to see all the work the park is putting into it. I'm hoping that they will continue to do this with the rest of the park, as they are really doing an incredible job with it and DC Universe. From the many times going up the lifts on TC, the parking lot didn't look too packed, so I'm sure if anyone went today, it was a great day to get a lot of rides in. The new paint on Scream looks awesome, it really makes the ride look brand new, with the exception of the trains still sporting the same original paint scheme.

Overall, the ride is a real winner and I'm so happy to have it only ~45 minutes away from me! The ride is truly a gem and has taken the place of favorite ride in the park from Tatsu.

what i notice i you get ejected down the second part and you're going one way while the train is moving back left and you slightly hit the side. but i mean slightly.

Recent reports have noted that "They're getting the timing down so that two trains are always racing".

today, i was waiting in the que to get on the second train. so, with everyone knowing we need to move fast, the other train was dispatched, train came down, the attendants unbuckled the belts and lifted lap bars, we got in buckled and just barely made it in time. that was with 6 ride operators hustling with the bosses there.

this didn't take into account normal operation with a train full of passengers to get out and others to get in. i really hope something can be done to make it happen, but i still believe it will be EXTREMELY RARE.

they do somewhat have the timing down when both trains aren't even touched after coming in the station. meaning, no passenger swaps or even lap bars moved, just checked.

today, i was waiting in the que to get on the second train. so, with everyone knowing we need to move fast, the other train was dispatched, train came down, the attendants unbuckled the belts and lifted lap bars, we got in buckled and just barely made it in time. that was with 6 ride operators hustling with the bosses there.

this didn't take into account normal operation with a train full of passengers to get out and others to get in. i really hope something can be done to make it happen, but i still believe it will be EXTREMELY RARE.

they do somewhat have the timing down when both trains aren't even touched after coming in the station. meaning, no passenger swaps or even lap bars moved, just checked.

Did they add the 3rd train today, or still working with two?