TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

UPDATE: yup, in the back, #1 coaster

What other coasters are you comparing this to? Either way great to hear

I'm one of the few who had X2 at the top of my list, followed by Maverick, Bizarro. Now they are all pushed down one

So excited for tommorow after reading some of the early reviews. Really looks like this will be the new #1 coaster on the west coast. If anyone else is going tommorow look for the guy and girl wearing tie dye shirts and say hi.

8 more with at least 3 perfectly synced. awesome coaster. I made sure I wasn't stapled in the seat and I'm sure my thighs may be magnum like bruised a bit.

I fell both sides are about equal to me. drop after the high five blue and following airtime hill are both great. top gun stall is still my favorite inversion. dueling is so much fun.

So towards the end of the night we had 3 trains in a row finally sync up through all the elements, and i must say it REALLY added to the experience of the ride. So it is true, there are sensors on the lift (you can see them in the center catwalk) that slow the speed of the lift so they match if the train just leaving the station is behind. It seems there's a program they can use for them to race, and apparently earlier in the day it was off for filming purposes.

Some of the most twisted elements and interaction with another train I've ever been on. There are so many turns and hills, and such powerful airtime in a ride that is smooth, but still tosses you around. I would also like to add that IMO the 2nd lift is not a pace-killer, in fact it's kinda fun going up, getting a breather and saying hi to the train next to you.

All in all I would like to thank Magic Mountain and everyone who was there, and those that let us ride, for making it such a memorable experience, it really was a great time and everyone was so nice. The snacks and lunch were also a very nice touch.

Great job RMC and SFMM for Twisted Colossus. It's going to be a big hit!

So it is true, there are sensors on the lift (you can see them in the center catwalk) that slow the speed of the lift so they match if the train just leaving the station is behind. It seems there's a program they can use for them to race, and apparently earlier in the day it was off for filming purposes.
I'm not usually one to be this cynical about the operations, but this is the part that worries me. Knowing the park's past habits, if there is a choice for them syncing or not syncing I fear that there will come a time when either they just dont bother syncing it up or something goes wrong with the software/electronics and they decide its cheaper to just run it without syncing (like the fire and audio on X2 only working occasionally, or old Colossus' other side, or Superman running both sides).

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom though, I'm still excited to ride it and hope all is still on the up and up for WCB. I imagine one way or another it will be running in top form for the event.

Edited by singemfrc

God, I was really wondering if I should do the WCB, I would have to give up some other trips I had planned but these reviews are too awesome.

I figured the airtime wood be good, the 2nd lift would not kill momentum and it would toss you around a good bit, but hearing confirmations of this just excites me more.

Any doubts I had have been put to bed, I gotta ride this, esp with WC happening in June so I can compare

The racing aspect of the ride is going to depend on the people getting off and on the ride. The harnesses are a little hard to lift to get out. Its actually just under 1 minute dispatch times to get it to race. (I think its faster then rmc and sfmm originally thought going through the track). So don't expect it to race to often. People like to go on rides with there bags and go pros and then lock them selfs in so they have to unlock and recheck witch is what's going to kill it. Also judging from the employee night it looks like this ride is not going to be friendly to larger rides. I saw a lot of people that could fit on full throttle and other rides that simply could not fit on the ride not height wise but horizontally and longitudinally. the seats are extremely snug. But very comfy. I'm 5.9 and 170 pounds and I felt like the seats was hugging me tighter then all the other coasters in the park. The coaster was amazing never the less even if it doesn't race. I Didn't care. It was incredible.

Um...holy crap! I was really looking forward to TC as a fun racer with some cool elements.

I did not expect such awesome airtime ever going into SFMM. This ride is so good! I have to wait till September to marathon on this?

after watching and being in the trains today, i'm sorry to say, i don't know how it will ever duel. the only way is if the train actually stops on the lift and waits. or, if they train can sit and wait on the section after the station for another train to get somewhat ready to go then let the first train go while the other waits ready to go when needed.

out of my first 6 rides, we finally linked up the last time. i believe two people got off the train and the new people had to run and get on and the two rows checked and we barely made it in time.

i will say, that if we have to go ridiculously slow up the second lift waiting for the other train, i wouldn't mind. it really is fun with that interaction.

a lot of waiting and such, but what a fun time i had today. i'll be back tomorrow for some more.

^ agreed, I don't think in practice TC will ever/rarely duel, and here's why... they were running two trains today, and most of the time they were trying to get it to duel to capture on film. The first train would leave, and the 2nd train on the block brakes outside the station would come in, and they would dispatch it pretty soon after the 1st train went down the lift, and even then they would sometimes miss it and it wouldn't duel... and that's with NO riders coming on/off the trains. I highly doubt when you add in the GP to this mix that they'll be able to dispatch quick enough. One lap around is too fast. I don't even think Cedar Fair could pull that off, let alone SF. They POSSIBLY could have a shot if they force users to leave their stuff in storage before the ride (like X2 @ SFMM).

When it does duel, it's super fun!!! Seeing the other train run that close to you through all of the elements is very interesting, and truly does add that extra dimension/excitement to the ride!

Ambitious effort, and sounds amazing when they get it to work but yeah, I think we all know realistically dueling/racing will probably not be the norm.

And I care not a lick

If they managed to get it going though for WCB (and we enthusiasts will move with a little more urgency and sense of what we're doing) that would be amazing, but really I just can't wait to ride. I'm very glad our friends on the West Coast can finally have an airtime buffet.

Oh, man. What a fantastic ride. I was on the 6-in-a-row train before we had a break (I had to split, unfortunately) and when they were finally able to have the trains synchronized, it was pure delight. It felt like we had earned it (even though all we did was sit there).

What to say about TC that hasn't already been said? It's fantastic. The air-time is unprecedented in California; I don't think I made contact with the seat from lift to lift. When it duels, the trains swirl around each other in a perfectly choreographed dance designed to fire off every little endorphin loving cell in your body. The track twists in such a way, seemingly not to mimic flight, but to embellish the steel structure itself. It wants you to feel the track curving and diving in such unpredictable ways, that no creature of flight is capable of. It's as if a giant took hold of Colossus and, with its mighty grip, mangled every piece of track in, oh, the very best way.

The steam punk theming, on the other hand... well, I'll wait until it's finished.

Thank you to Six Flags and the excellent crew for letting us experience the ride a little early.

also, lots of work being done still around the area. some painting on the Scream sign. more steampunk stuff. they added the images of colossus in the station, old and new. they looked like they were working hard on the sandwich place. end of day looked like they brought out some mobile carts for merchandise. the rest of the immediate area looks really cool.

I'm still remaining optimistic for a little bit. They'll get better at checking trains and knowing how when they can/can't duel based on when they can dispatch.

And RMC knows about the tough lap bars and is working on improving them.

Question regarding the "preview" days on Thursday and Friday for Gold pass holders. Does anybody have any clue as to how they're going to go about letting people in? Is the wall to Screampunk District still going to be up with somebody letting Gold Pass holders in, or is there a separate area they're supposed to enter? They didn't make it clear in the e-mail.

Are they tough on all of the RMC trains or just on Twisted Colossus?

I have no idea, I've only sat in two of the TC trains (Purple and Green). I'd expect them all to be about the same though, since I'm not aware of a different restraint on them.

Edited by Comeagain?

TC is such an amazing ride, it really is. Everyone at the shoot only had positive things to say about it (minus the trouble synching and slow dispatches)

The blue side is all about airtime, and it has lots of it.

The green side is all about throwing you around with weird laterals and more airtime mixed in.

MM finally has a top 5 ride on their hands, I think TC will surprise a lot of people.

Question regarding the "preview" days on Thursday and Friday for Gold pass holders. Does anybody have any clue as to how they're going to go about letting people in? Is the wall to Screampunk District still going to be up with somebody letting Gold Pass holders in, or is there a separate area they're supposed to enter? They didn't make it clear in the e-mail.

If it's like the namtab preview, they will just have an employee looking at your pass. The problem is that even my gold pass is generic now and doesn't say gold, so I'm curious if they will have a scanner to verify it's a gold pass.

I'm very excited to finally ride an RMC coaster. I'm also very curious to know how it will compare to other airtime machines I've been fortunate enough to ride on all the TPR trips. The preface of "...in California" makes me wonder how it will hold up to the rest of the country and world, though I still expect a great ride no matter what.

I mean are the restraints hard to push up on other RMC coasters?

I remember noticing the difficulty on Outlaw Run, but I don't remember how it was on NTAG. It's not difficult enough that people won't be able to do it, but it's slow and certainly won't help capacity.