TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^I just doubt you would want to strand a train of riders on that lift for however long it's going to take to sync them with the blue side. Even if they went that route, you're going to have a lot of people assuming that (and probably talking about how) the ride broke down while they were on it and they got 'stuck'. That's not something you want to have spreading.

You could make it slow to some speed. And if it reached x way up the lift before the next train was dispatched, speed up to full speed and not wait any longer. Preferably it would no longer wait once it reaches a point where if the other train was running full speed up and it was at its slowest, they still wouldn't sync. That would give them the greatest amount of time to dispatch.

And dispatch speeds will get better once they're more used to the new train. Likely none of the ops have ran a ride with those trains and restraints before. Although the lap bars are really heavy.

^I just doubt you would want to strand a train of riders on that lift for however long it's going to take to sync them with the blue side. Even if they went that route, you're going to have a lot of people assuming that (and probably talking about how) the ride broke down while they were on it and they got 'stuck'. That's not something you want to have spreading.

I think people would get it once the Blue side came around and the lift started going again. Especially if it did it frequently, people would understand. Just because they're GP doesn't mean they can't figure out simple things like that. (at least most people with a some ability of cognitive thinking).

I think the issue, though, is still having riders sitting on a lift hill for an indefinite amount of time.

I think people would get it once the Blue side came around and the lift started going again. Especially if it did it frequently, people would understand. Just because they're GP doesn't mean they can't figure out simple things like that. (at least most people with a some ability of cognitive thinking).

I think the issue, though, is still having riders sitting on a lift hill for an indefinite amount of time.

It took 20-30 seconds to get from the platform to the first lift hill (there are some mini-camelback hills or whatever they're called), so at the very least they might be able to hold it if the "blue" train has been rolled out and is on the way.

Sometimes I hate discussions like this, because I think "C'mon, they just spent millions of dollars on this. I'm sure they've got the sync issue all worked out. They've probably got their best people on this." And then I think of all the other times SF has dropped the ball, and it's like....."well, maybe we've just thought about it more than they have..."

Edited by cinepro

A simple announcement could play saying something like, "Hey riders, let's slow down and wait for the next train to race".

My concern isn't that it can't be done. I just have a feeling no effort will be made, and if it actually is going to be five minute dispatches, I feel the park will just say "screw it" and opt to have riders stack on the brake run rather than on the lift.

I really wish they could have either done dual-loading or used the other side of the station, but I guess I understand them wanting to maximize queue space.

This commercial shoot has sucked so far if you're not one of the chosen ones to be filmed. Some riders have gone 6 times while the rest of us are waiting. They also haven't synched the trains once thus far, the course of each individual track is too brief for them to duel consistently

Edited by Superbatboy

On another note, even without "dueling" it's still a great ride. But the dueling component is a HUGE aspect of the ride experience, and if its not something SFMM is going to commit to getting down, it will be disappointing.

Otherwise it would have been more beneficial if they had simply forgone a second lift and just made Twisted Colossus as a single lift experience more in line with what we've seen them do with their other rides like NTAG or WC

It's still new so I'm hoping everything is sorted out and it will duel at least 90% of the time. *fingers crossed*

Why bother building (and advertising) a dueling coaster if the ride never actually duels?! It would be a large oversight, IMO, if it's determined before opening day that dueling is physically impossible. Surely the park / RMC has a plan of some sort to make the ride function as intended...

Regardless, the ride looks / sounds incredible and I'm as excited as ever to ride it on Saturday.

I really wish they could have either done dual-loading or used the other side of the station, but I guess I understand them wanting to maximize queue space.

Having multiple loading stations would have been a waste since the park would never have staffed them consistently. It's just not what this park does.

But the dueling component is a HUGE aspect of the ride experience, and if its not something SFMM is going to commit to getting down, it will be disappointing.

Cue the "better than nothing" mentality! The park gets its cool dueling optics for the publications and media, then proceeds to simply operate the ride according to the relatively low standards it generally sets for itself.

Can't the Green lift simply be reduced to a crawl and buy time for the train on the Blue side to catch up? Or, perhaps trains could be held on the Blue side just after dispatch (there's a block brake before the pre-lift bunny hops, right?) to allow the train in the station some loading time. That way, each train would experience dueling for 1 out of 2 runs.

Was lucky enough to get on the first public filming train of the day, got to ride 3 or 4 times. I will say I am pleasantly surprised by Twisted Colossus, it is definitely not like any ride I've ever been on (its my first RMC).

Probably one of the best coasters I've ever been on, the pacing is amazing. I think I like the blue side best.

And yes, as others mentioned the ride only "raced" one time up to now during filming, the other times it was off by half a train. But let's keep in mind there are only 2 trains on the track, and it doesn't neccesarilly mean the ride will operate that way when it opens.

While of course it wont make the forces any better, i think overall I think the racing could make for a much much better ride experience, so I hope they figure it out.

Can't the Green lift simply be reduced to a crawl and buy time for the train on the Blue side to catch up?

That's what happened when I rode it last night. We were already started on the green lift when the blue train showed up. I don't know if the green lift chain is variable speed or what, but the blue train had caught up to us as we reached the top and we both dropped at the same time.

...Or, perhaps trains could be held on the Blue side just after dispatch (there's a block brake before the pre-lift bunny hops, right?) to allow the train in the station some loading time.

That's what the animation shows, so we can hope. With three train op, it shouldn't effect capacity to stall that train (since it would just sit outside the station for just as long after the ride anyway).

Nice to hear that it's even better (or at least equal) in its second half (unlike Riddler, Goliath, Apocalypse and Scream, to name a few).

The timing issues would be a challenge for any park. Last month, in a visit to Great America, they had five minute dispatches for Grizzly. (Not something I wanted to ride, but my niece and nephew wanted to, and it's a decent kiddie coaster.) At least variable speed on the green lift makes it possible to line up the dueling if the train isn't in the station too long.

I bet the TC line will be well over an hour, possibly multiple hours, this weekend, even if their dispatches are as fast as possible and everything is functioning perfectly. I hope SFMM is prepared for the crowd they're going to have.

Some quick thoughts after riding Colossus 6 times already today, 3 times in the front and 3 in the back. This coaster is what California has been needing, the airtime is pure ejector, something that a lot of California enthusiasts have never expeeinced. This is going to be a number one coaster for a lot of people.

5 times in a row in the front @ filming. AMAZING!!! They're only running two trains, so syncing up requires both trains to be on the block brakes and no/few passengers getting off. The blue hill downward after the high five is superb with the hand choppers! The stall is great, and the rest of the hills throw you up or lateral (the 2nd dip turns slightly right on the double-down, and the green side flying under the blue-side zero-g roll). May be my new #1 coaster... hopefully will get to ride a few more times this evening before I officially decide.

UPDATE: yup, in the back, #1 coaster

Edited by ioio

How has the filming been going?

Each group has gotten to ride about 3-6 times... with two breaks so far for them to change camera positions and for dinner (Panera bread). If you're not part of the group riding, it's a good 20-30 minute wait for them to switch out to the next group.

If this wasn't at a Six Flags park I could ask IOE as they normally do RMC's controls, but not for SF.

I wonder why that is. Cost perhaps?

Normally IOE is the designated controls contractor for RMC coasters, but Six Flags is the exception just because Six Flags does their own controls in-house. I remember them mentioning it when TC was first announced about the same time IOE announced their partnership with RMC.

5 times in a row in the front @ filming. AMAZING!!! They're only running two trains, so syncing up requires both trains to be on the block brakes and no/few passengers getting off. The blue hill downward after the high five is superb with the hand choppers! The stall is great, and the rest of the hills throw you up or lateral (the 2nd dip turns slightly right on the double-down, and the green side flying under the blue-side zero-g roll). May be my new #1 coaster... hopefully will get to ride a few more times this evening before I officially decide.

UPDATE: yup, in the back, #1 coaster

Number one!

A small question: have you been on other RMCs or the best Intamins to make this comparison?

I am looking forward to see if I like TC more than El Toro.