TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

For this reason, I'm SO glad they are doing a passholder preview. I will be out of state for the whole summer starting on the 23rd, so at least I'll get to ride it the way it's supposed to be a few times. Then I won't be as disappointed should they fall off the wagon and quit dueling by the end of the summer.

Well they can't really quit dueling since it's one long strip of track. The only real question is to what extent the ride staff will actively try to maximize capacity or ensure that the trains run together without too much interruption.

Has anybody checked to see if the ride requires the train about to climb green side to stop and wait for the freshly loaded train to arrive on blue side so they can climb together? I just wonder how stacking has been integrated into the ride design, if at all, since we know it's going to happen. Hopefully stacking at load/unload won't completely kill off the capacity for trains to run together, or require mid-ride stacking where a train has to sit and wait before climbing green side. Sadly I don't really see it where one of these won't happen.

Sadly I don't really see it where one of these won't happen.

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that it has variable lift hill speeds on top of all the other blocks that will help this thing run the way RMC intended.

^we aren't forgetting that. We're just concerned that either trains will be sitting on that second lift for ages, or there will be one-train ops. There's also the possibility that the park decides that dueling "isn't safe".

Islands of Adventure, anyone?

They have already installed nets in the top gun stall and zero G roll, so I think they've thought that far ahead.

If I'm not mistaken there is also a block right outside of the station before the twisty bits, so hopefully that will allow for trains to sit there and wait for the green side and not the other way around. However you slice it though, it's going to be up to the crew to consistently hit their time. We'l see.

^It seems that block would be necessary if by some chance, the train at the station was loaded and dispatched before the prior train completed the blue side, but seeing as the trains seem to fly through the course, I don't think it'll be necessary. At least it's good to know it's there though.

When SFMM did filming in the past for their new rides (I assume for TV or video placements in the SF chain)... how did that work once on site? Do they pair you up with other riders? Do you sit with any friend you may have came with? How many cycles do you typically go on? How long are you filming for? Food provided? Etc

When SFMM did filming in the past for their new rides (I assume for TV or video placements in the SF chain)... how did that work once on site? Do they pair you up with other riders? Do you sit with any friend you may have came with? How many cycles do you typically go on? How long are you filming for? Food provided? Etc

I dont know about SFMM specifically but a lot of parks do it. I was able to become the 5th ever rider on the first public train dispatched on Gold Striker up at CGA at a promo shoot, before even the people that bid for "first rides" It really was a unique experience to ride a coaster that no one outside of park and GCI staff had ever rode and see the engineers, construction workers, and park managers waiting at the exit to see what we thought of it.

Sometimes they ask you to email them, sometimes they want photos ahead of time, sometimes they just say "Show up here at this time". Usually its about a couple hundred people and you all just line up and ride over and over until they have all the footage they need. They dont usually put people in specific places, but they may place people in the front row for close-ups. It's likely they will have drinks and snacks, nothing major. CGA had one concession stand open when I was there serving free food and drinks (At the time the rest of the park was closed).

And on that subject, Magic Mountain will be doing a promo shoot for Twisted Colossus on Wednesday May 13th from 2:00-9:00 and Thursday May 14th from 10am-6pm. You must be at least 18 with valid ID and able to ride consecutively for long periods. Email them a photo to sfmmsocialmedia@gmail.com if you're interested and can be there. For whatever reason they say if you're in the SAG or AFTRA unions you are not allowed to attend. It depends on how many people they have show up, but I'm betting you'll get at least 10 laps. The last one I did was only for about 3 hours and I got 8 laps in with about 100 people there (though many left after 1 lap).

I did the promo shoot for tatsu. I dont remember much but I think they catered us and I got in like 15 rides during the day. The crew was getting frustrated towards the end of the day because they wanted people to keep riding so they could get more shots but quite frankly most people were pooped. I as a 16 or 17 year old kid think I even had a bit of a headache after riding so many times in one day. Overall it was a great experience. Would do again

I did the promo shoot for tatsu. I dont remember much but I think they catered us and I got in like 15 rides during the day. The crew was getting frustrated towards the end of the day because they wanted people to keep riding so they could get more shots but quite frankly most people were pooped. I as a 16 or 17 year old kid think I even had a bit of a headache after riding so many times in one day. Overall it was a great experience. Would do again

Did you ride with friends? Or did they line you up in the order they wanted? What did they do with the footage? Were you interviewed throughout the day?

I have a trip planning question. I'm planning to visit SFMM on June 13, a Saturday (yeah, I know, bad idea already). I noticed there is a Sharp Cheer & Dance Competition going on that day. Does the park get even more crowded than normal Saturday crowds with this event, and should I avoid this day like the plague, or is it a small event and just come prepared for normal Saturday summer crowds?

I am very excited to ride Twisted Colossus, and this will be my first experience on a RMC coaster (redo or original).

I have a trip planning question. I'm planning to visit SFMM on June 13, a Saturday (yeah, I know, bad idea already). I noticed there is a Sharp Cheer & Dance Competition going on that day. Does the park get even more crowded than normal Saturday crowds with this event, and should I avoid this day like the plague, or is it a small event and just come prepared for normal Saturday summer crowds?

I am very excited to ride Twisted Colossus, and this will be my first experience on a RMC coaster (redo or original).

A competition on a Saturday in June? Ummm yeah get a Flash Pass #justsaying

A competition on a Saturday in June? Ummm yeah get a Flash Pass #justsaying

Sharp Competitions are pretty big, it'll be busy.

It actually doesn't impact crowds as much as you'd think. But it's gonna be a busy day anyway so it doesn't matter. Just get there at opening and stay ahead of the crowds and you'll be fine. Save YOLO til the afternoon as its line will never exceed an hour (but it will stay there all day) while the others will start short in the morning and then exceed an hour by the afternoon.

Yeah somewhat surprisingly although the park will be more crowded, it doesnt lengthen the lines as much. The cheer competitors dont ride the coasters as much in my experience.

To those asking, at most promo shoots you just get on and ride over and over and they get whatever footage they get from filming repeatedly, though like I said before they can and will sometimes move riders here and there, but you can certainly ride with friends.

One other big thing - do not wear clothing with visible logos. Best case you might have to cover it, worst case they might excuse you.

^That's really interesting! So to get this straight, can anyone attend the commercial shoot or do you have to get invited, or is it something else?

Depends. Its however the park/production company decided to do it. The year i did it, it was an open invite to passholders

Did you ride with friends? Or did they line you up in the order they wanted? What did they do with the footage? Were you interviewed throughout the day?

I went with my brother. For the most part we rode together but we started getting shuffled around once people started dropping off

According to singefrc (and I read it elsewhere, can't remember), it has no special conditions on who can apply (except being +18 because of the sexy curves of TC):

And on that subject, Magic Mountain will be doing a promo shoot for Twisted Colossus on Wednesday May 13th from 2:00-9:00 and Thursday May 14th from 10am-6pm. You must be at least 18 with valid ID and able to ride consecutively for long periods. Email them a photo to sfmmsocialmedia@gmail.com if you're interested and can be there. For whatever reason they say if you're in the SAG or AFTRA unions you are not allowed to attend. It depends on how many people they have show up, but I'm betting you'll get at least 10 laps. The last one I did was only for about 3 hours and I got 8 laps in with about 100 people there (though many left after 1 lap).

By the way, I didn't know but SAG and AFTRA are acting unions. Basically, they don't want actors.

According to singefrc (and I read it elsewhere, can't remember), it has no special conditions on who can apply (except being +18 because of the sexy curves of TC):

By the way, I didn't know but SAG and AFTRA are acting unions. Basically, they don't want actors.

More specifically, they don't want to have to PAY actors and/or get in trouble with the unions for not following the union procedures and pay scales.

It actually doesn't impact crowds as much as you'd think. But it's gonna be a busy day anyway so it doesn't matter. Just get there at opening and stay ahead of the crowds and you'll be fine. Save YOLO til the afternoon as its line will never exceed an hour (but it will stay there all day) while the others will start short in the morning and then exceed an hour by the afternoon.

I never been to a cheer/dance day at SFMM but down here at SF:DK I've accidentally gone to 2 and they are some of the worst experiences I've ever had at a theme park. Parents/grandparents and girls clogging pathways girls doing last min warm-ups along the pathways of the park, girls carrying around trophies half their size that they'll all receive anyways, their siblings cutting in line (line cutters have been horrendous on these days for me.) and overall obnoxiousness as if they rented out the full park and acting like General Public isn't even there.

however I was in bad mood's those days so I was likely only making it worse on myself and I should of just enjoyed the animal stuff. but yeah I wouldn't recommend cheer days to anyone based on my experiences with them. Except maybe if it was dollyworld, think they would be able to handle it better then six flags ever does.

Edited by Fire2box

I was just watching more test footage and TC will easily be the most popular ride in the park and probably the best coaster there. It just looks so amazing and the sped it maintains is really nice.

I can't wait to ride this!