TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

What makes the Top Gun Stall different from a Zero G Stall? Is it just Six Flags trying to make it sound like a unique element?

I believe the reason it's called a "top gun stall" is because of the way the two trains interact. It mimics a scene out of "Top Gun" where two planes fly upside down and right side up.

That is exactly why it's called that, it's named after the movie sign. I'm pretty sure Six Flags didn't come up with it, I heard Alan Schilke talking about it back when the ride was being talked about at IAAPA. Alan is probably the one that named it that, he is the designer of the ride after all.

I love using my jets to do top gun stalls to unsuspecting pilots in Grand Theft Auto V lobbies...just like in the movie they dont know what to do and it freaks them out, I get a kick out of it.

alan did say he did not want to use "high five" and that six flags wanted to use that name. he said he didn't like the name cause it didn't make sense to be going the same way and "high five" someone.

alan did say he did not want to use "high five" and that six flags wanted to use that name. he said he didn't like the name cause it didn't make sense to be going the same way and "high five" someone.

Its dont think its that he doesnt want to use the term at all, cause this ride has a high five and he still refers to that element by that name, it would be confusing to call both of these a high five, so it makes sense to come up with a new name for it.

Its dont think its that he doesnt want to use the term at all, cause this ride has a high five and he still refers to that element by that name, it would be confusing to call both of these a high five, so it makes sense to come up with a new name for it.

sorry, i didn't mean to confuse what i said with the top gun. but in the interview i watched alan basically said the name high five didn't make sense, and that he never wanted to use it, that six flags wanted to. so to him, there is no high five in the design. i think his idea of a high five would be if they trains met traveling at each other, and i agree with him. i bet one day we will see that, that would be cool.

Hate to be that person, but does anyone think they might soft open this?

I thought the timing of the second passholder preview (May 22nd, 10:00am-1:30pm) seemed a bit suspicious, but that's really just conjecture.

Thanks , didn't know they had already announced pass holder previews.

Hate to be that person, but does anyone think they might soft open this?

I thought the timing of the second passholder preview (May 22nd, 10:00am-1:30pm) seemed a bit suspicious, but that's really just conjecture.

Thanks , didn't know they had already announced pass holder previews.

No problem! Just so you're aware though, they're gold only.

I did see that as well, that only Gold , plan on buying the pass next week since I will be here with work and it mightn't be a busy ( no chance )

this...email link is another one i received that says if you buy your season pass now, that you'll be included in the preview. might be worth a shot investigating into it more. maybe you'll be able to go to the preview, i dunno. it doesn't say just gold, or anything else, so maybe. anyway, what do the different passes look like now? i thought they all looked the same. mine, which is a membership, just has a barcode and that's basically it.

I wonder if I didn't get the e-mail because I technically have a Marine World Gold Pass?

what do the different passes look like now? i thought they all looked the same. mine, which is a membership, just has a barcode and that's basically it.

Mine looks exactly the same.

sorry, i didn't mean to confuse what i said with the top gun. but in the interview i watched alan basically said the name high five didn't make sense, and that he never wanted to use it, that six flags wanted to. so to him, there is no high five in the design. i think his idea of a high five would be if they trains met traveling at each other, and i agree with him. i bet one day we will see that, that would be cool.

Another note about the high five element. this may have already been mentioned, but after watching a POV of the original "high five coaster" (the woodie in china that got built a few years ago), I couldn't help but notice the two tracks on TC seem further apart from each other than on the other ride.

Another note about the high five element. this may have already been mentioned, but after watching a POV of the original "high five coaster" (the woodie in china that got built a few years ago), I couldn't help but notice the two tracks on TC seem further apart from each other than on the other ride.

- Memberships are functionally the same as Season Passes, they're just perpetually automatically renewed.

- Pass/Membership processed at any SF park will work (Except La Ronde I think), it doesnt have to be a MM pass.

- Doesn't matter when you buy it as long as you have your card in hand when you walk up to the station. If you were to buy your pass the day of the preview, I think youd have to go get it processed first, I doubt they'll accept your printout at TC.

- Memberships are functionally the same as Season Passes, they're just perpetually automatically renewed.

- Pass/Membership processed at any SF park will work (Except La Ronde I think), it doesnt have to be a MM pass.

- Doesn't matter when you buy it as long as you have your card in hand when you walk up to the station. If you were to buy your pass the day of the preview, I think youd have to go get it processed first, I doubt they'll accept your printout at TC.

sure would be nice if it's as dead as it was that last sunday they let passholders ride colossus. anyway, looking forward to being there a long time thursday.

You are forgetting about the time it takes to get from the station to the lifthill(the twisty part). I think they stated dispatch time should be around 90 seconds with 3 train operations. Sounds possible

^ No he's not

Loading and unloading will take time, of course, and then the train--once dispatched--has to navigate the stretch of bunny hills before engaging the lift.

I don't think they'll have a problem syncing up with three train operation. Someone mentioned before that the lifts are variable speeds. Plus, with the added block before the green lift that side will probably take longer than in the animation. Who knows, maybe they'll even use that block to hold the train until the blue side is ready. However this all goes, I think it's only a matter of time before dueling is deemed "too dangerous."

As for the video, that top gun stall is the kind of thing I jack off to

I'm sure they have something put in place for the station as far as loading and unloading that's going to help them make the transitions (unload train then move forward to load with new passengers so essentially you don't get off the train where you got on).....as well as the variable motors on the lifts.

I'm sure they have something put in place for the station as far as loading and unloading that's going to help them make the transitions (unload train then move forward to load with new passengers so essentially you don't get off the train where you got on).....as well as the variable motors on the lifts.

Loading times during Preview will probably be the fastest TC ever sees: employees will want to do well and guests will be excited, park management will probably be there, and guests will mostly be enthusiasts who are eager to get going as fast as possible.

it's only a single train station, no unload platform. the lifts are definitely variable speed. you can see that in one of the test videos when both trains going up the lift.

if they can't get trains out fast enough, it will probably be because of a few reasons. slow employees, slow guests, and lack of employees (1 per side). i guess that's all kind of obvious though. lol but i will blame a lot of it on lazy, dumb park guests at magic mountain.

Operations will vary from day to day. I personally don't expect them to be cranking out trains past the 1st few weekends. If there's dueling when I ride then cool and if not then cool. I'll enjoy my ride either way.

I would say the first month will be the best time. They will have their best on the crew, but the problem is the way that SFMM staffs---their best are leads elsewhere in the park and will be needed at other rides, so the chances of the crew staying together for very long is pretty slim.