TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hate to be that person, but does anyone think they might soft open this?

I thought the timing of the second passholder preview (May 22nd, 10:00am-1:30pm) seemed a bit suspicious, but that's really just conjecture.

Perhaps it's to cut out time for media day?

I thought the timing of the second passholder preview (May 22nd, 10:00am-1:30pm) seemed a bit suspicious, but that's really just conjecture.

Actually, media day is on Wednesday, the day before the pass previews.

Any further word on the (supposed) 4th train? I know someone mentioned a few weeks back that the train was rumored to arrive in late May.

The dueling looks awesome, but I'll be interested to see how (and if) it works out in real world operations. Anyone else feel like trains will end up holding at the block brakes before the second lift?

I say that because the final brake run seems to be rather long; I'd imagine it will take a while for the train to actually reach the station after completing the ride. Loading and unloading will take time, of course, and then the train--once dispatched--has to navigate the stretch of bunny hills before engaging the lift. Based on the videos we've seen thus far, each side of the ride lasts ~37 seconds. If the lift takes ~30 seconds, as is suggested by the POV video, that means that trains have less than 1 minute and 10 seconds to do all of the above, which seems almost impossible to me, much less reliably feasible.

I suppose it could help if the ride runs 4 trains simultaneously, allowing one train to stack and be ready to enter the station (and the other to hold at brakes just outside the station as the POV video shows), but I thought the park said the plan was to only run 3 at a time and keep the 4th in a maintenance rotation?

You are forgetting about the time it takes to get from the station to the lifthill(the twisty part). I think they stated dispatch time should be around 90 seconds with 3 train operations. Sounds possible

^ No he's not

Loading and unloading will take time, of course, and then the train--once dispatched--has to navigate the stretch of bunny hills before engaging the lift.

I don't think they'll have a problem syncing up with three train operation. Someone mentioned before that the lifts are variable speeds. Plus, with the added block before the green lift that side will probably take longer than in the animation. Who knows, maybe they'll even use that block to hold the train until the blue side is ready. However this all goes, I think it's only a matter of time before dueling is deemed "too dangerous."

As for the video, that top gun stall is the kind of thing I jack off to

I think they stated dispatch time should be around 90 seconds with 3 train operations. Sounds possible

At Magic Mountain. Good joke.

These are the same top notch employees who can't get an under 5 minute dispatch with 2 trains on Goliath.

I'm a little worried about how the GP will receive this ride. "IT ONLY GOES UPSIDE DOWN TWICE!???" or "WOW THATS SO SHORT AND ITS ONLY ONE SIDE" Although after people ride it, it may become the most popular.

Don't worry, I'm sure TC will become one of, if not the most popular ride in the park.

I'm a little worried about how the GP will receive this ride. "IT ONLY GOES UPSIDE DOWN TWICE!???" or "WOW THATS SO SHORT AND ITS ONLY ONE SIDE" Although after people ride it, it may become the most popular.

That means shorter lines for us

What makes the Top Gun Stall different from a Zero G Stall? Is it just Six Flags trying to make it sound like a unique element?

What makes the Top Gun Stall different from a Zero G Stall? Is it just Six Flags trying to make it sound like a unique element?

Top gun stall rolls up and in, hangs there for a bit, then rolls out either the same or opposite way. It's close to a zero g roll, but it's bigger. Anyone else feel free to correct me if I'm off on it.

Edit: watch this, and you'll see: [youtu_be]

[/youtu_be] Edited by Brisk

Top gun stall rolls up and in, hangs there for a bit, then rolls out either the same or opposite way. It's close to a zero g roll, but it's bigger. Anyone else feel free to correct me if I'm off on it.

pretty sure they are the same. I think the "top gun" part just refers to how one train will stall on top of the other ala a scene from Top Gun (albeit a movie I haven't seen)...https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL8fccIgCBVJnwdW8_qFeBfdcN6L6AhRsQJRgeQkeIW0G_jJ-_rQ

I believe the reason it's called a "top gun stall" is because of the way the two trains interact. It mimics a scene out of "Top Gun" where two planes fly upside down and right side up.

you can't keep up foreign relations on Goliath.

There's probably a 99%+ chance that dude will not understand what you just said, but for the record I just wanted to say I laughed.

you can't keep up foreign relations on Goliath.

There's probably a 99%+ chance that dude will not understand what you just said, but for the record I just wanted to say I laughed.

yeah, i'm sure you're right. first time i watched the animation i was like, top gun?...3 seconds...

I believe the reason it's called a "top gun stall" is because of the way the two trains interact. It mimics a scene out of "Top Gun" where two planes fly upside down and right side up.

That is exactly why it's called that, it's named after the movie sign. I'm pretty sure Six Flags didn't come up with it, I heard Alan Schilke talking about it back when the ride was being talked about at IAAPA. Alan is probably the one that named it that, he is the designer of the ride after all.

I love using my jets to do top gun stalls to unsuspecting pilots in Grand Theft Auto V lobbies...just like in the movie they dont know what to do and it freaks them out, I get a kick out of it.