TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

At least we now know it's "Late May" ... which pretty much pinpoints a Memorial Day weekend opening. Hopefully they'll announce more info for those on the construction tour tomorrow. I wonder if they still plan to have a 4th train? And if they're really going to charge season pass holders for ERT...

[vine]
[/vine]

This is what I was talking about with Jew. They drop a vine of the first drop, not even racing, and then let the fan sites do the work tomorrow. Come on, this is Southern California. Hollywood is a few miles away, so how hard is it to strap a handful of cameras to the first train, and film it's first run?

...wait, that'd require money.

...and this is Six Flags.

Nevermind.

I would think that they wouldn't want to race on the first few test runs to make sure that all the systems work without the chance of a collision between two carts occurring. This would also explain why they don't want any video shot, as Six Flags would want the first test run people see to have the carts racing to show off the full potential of TC.

Both trains did race. They sent one and then the other one and they raced. That was all they did. They checked to make sure everything is working properly. Also on that small video notice how the old track under the drop is painted white too. That's pretty cool. Its was super quiet and smooth too. Everyone is gonna love it. And yes 4th train is happening for sure. Not sure when it arrives tho.

Nice to see Twisted Colossus testing. I imagine they just ran it today to make sure that it can run for the media tomorrow and we'll probably see more then. At this point, provided that there aren't any major issues during testing I'd be surprised if we aren't riding Memorial Day weekend.

For anyone debating the existence of a fourth train, just don't. The park would not have constructed storage space for four trains if they only purchased three. The green train will likely show up at some point in the next couple weeks and they should have plenty of time to get the necessary test time with all four trains.

This is what I was talking about with Jew. They drop a vine of the first drop, not even racing, and then let the fan sites do the work tomorrow. Come on, this is Southern California. Hollywood is a few miles away, so how hard is it to strap a handful of cameras to the first train, and film it's first run?

...wait, that'd require money.

...and this is Six Flags.

Nevermind.

You have to give them some credit for using vine correctly---short video teases. Probably the best use of social media I've seen from the park yet. With the press tour tomorrow, I imagine that is when they will release more B-roll.

Edited by Jew

For anyone debating the existence of a fourth train, just don't. The park would not have constructed storage space for four trains if they only purchased three. The green train will likely show up at some point in the next couple weeks and they should have plenty of time to get the necessary test time with all four trains.

I'm still stumped on how they will be able to make each train race eachother with only three trains. Running four trains makes more sense. With two trains racing on the tracks and one unloading in the station, how will they have enough time to sync it up?

I'm still stumped on how they will be able to make each train race eachother with only three trains. Running four trains makes more sense. With two trains racing on the tracks and one unloading in the station, how will they have enough time to sync it up?
I believe you answered your own question. While one is loading/unloading, the other two are on the course. Theoretically, the time they take to load should roughly match the time on course. Also, the train approaching the green lift has a block brake where it will wait for the loading train to catch up if necessary - and knowing SFMM I'm guessing that will often be necessary. Reportedly the two chain drives are also variable speed and computer controlled so that they should always crest at the right time to match up...I've heard conflicting reports on that.

I believe you answered your own question. While one is loading/unloading, the other two are on the course. Theoretically, the time they take to load should roughly match the time on course. Also, the train approaching the green lift has a block brake where it will wait for the loading train to catch up if necessary - and knowing SFMM I'm guessing that will often be necessary. Reportedly the two chain drives are also variable speed and computer controlled so that they should always crest at the right time to match up...I've heard conflicting reports on that.

Okay so they are going to use the block brakes at the bottom of the lift hills. I wonder if it will be a complete stop or what. I'll be curious to see the variable speed on the lift motors too.

Okay so they are going to use the block brakes at the bottom of the lift hills. I wonder if it will be a complete stop or what. I'll be curious to see the variable speed on the lift motors too.

Yes, it's depicted in one of the animation videos. It shows the train completing the first half and then stopping before the green lift until the train headed for the blue lift catches up. I don't know if it's stopped and released automatically or if an operator has to manually hold it and release it.

At least we now know it's "Late May" ... which pretty much pinpoints a Memorial Day weekend opening. Hopefully they'll announce more info for those on the construction tour tomorrow. I wonder if they still plan to have a 4th train? And if they're really going to charge season pass holders for ERT...

You're not really going to complain about that, are you?? I mean, given how relatively cheap SFMM Season Passes are and how everybody complains about how the park never spends money on anything. An extra bit of money for something like ERT on Twisted Colossus would be worth every penny the park asked for. That's the exact kind of thing the SFMM fans should support and hopefully encourage the park do more of!

Really, to think you should get free ERT because Season Passholder just comes off as entitled...

I would pay for ERT however my only concern would be the amount of ERT access tickets that were sold. ERT becomes a moot point if there's too many people. I'm a season pass holder but I haven't been to any of the ERT sessions that have been offered by the park previously. Has there been an issue with overcrowding?

Really, to think you should get free ERT because Season Passholder just comes off as entitled...

Six flags season pass holder and entitled in the same sentence. It's easy to see that with Disney AP, but Six flags?

Yes, it's depicted in one of the animation videos. It shows the train completing the first half and then stopping before the green lift until the train headed for the blue lift catches up. I don't know if it's stopped and released automatically or if an operator has to manually hold it and release it.

can you link to this video? i've never seen one with the block brake in it.

what i have read or seen is that they have 90 seconds to dispatch the train to match up to race. easy for the average crew at a great place with guests that don't screw around, not so easy at magic mountain.

i think at worst, it can at least race occasionally by having one train wait for a bit on the block out of the station, and then let it go when the one in the station is ready. i'd be happy if it had some sort of dueling every few circuits.

anyway, looking forward to today's updates!

can you link to this video? i've never seen one with the block brake in it.

what i have read or seen is that they have 90 seconds to dispatch the train to match up to race. easy for the average crew at a great place with guests that don't screw around, not so easy at magic mountain.

i think at worst, it can at least race occasionally by having one train wait for a bit on the block out of the station, and then let it go when the one in the station is ready. i'd be happy if it had some sort of dueling every few circuits.

anyway, looking forward to today's updates!

I think it was the first rendering video before the one that's everywhere now..not sure. I remember that it was discussed in this thread when others noticed it and complained that there was a brake there. What you describe is how I assume it will work, either automatically or by ride-op operation. I'd assume the 90 seconds or whatever the real number may be is how long they have to avoid the previous train stopping, and if they take longer than that, then that's when the block brake comes in. Without it, the trains would only ever duel if they were running 4 at once or if the operators were running at maximum efficiency..neither situations common at MM. I'd rather sit in a block brake than count on that.

I would pay for ERT however my only concern would be the amount of ERT access tickets that were sold. ERT becomes a moot point if there's too many people. I'm a season pass holder but I haven't been to any of the ERT sessions that have been offered by the park previously. Has there been an issue with overcrowding?

the one ERT that was awesome that I went to was "Slurpee" ert from the year before last. I think there were 3-4 days where a few rides were open for an hour after the park. you buy a slurpee and get a wristband to stay. couldn't even fill a goliath train because they ran two. so, only had to get off if you wanted a different seat. green lantern was open, but i didn't bother. the other ride was drop of doom. after a few cycles, they were waiting for people to run it. multiple rides without getting off being just my nephew and i.

the full throttle passholder thing was pretty lame. i don't remember if it was 2 hours or 1, but you got to be there before the park opened like at 7am, or something. you didn't really know until you got there that you only got to ride once. but, i knew it was a possibility with the wording. only good thing was, we didn't get kicked out, and just waited until they opened the line up for the GP, and had a very short wait for our second ride. second ride didn't stop in the tunnel and we had a roll back, back into the tunnel. they let us re-ride without getting off so we were lucky to get a third ride.

the one ERT that was awesome that I went to was "Slurpee" ert from the year before last. I think there were 3-4 days where a few rides were open for an hour after the park. you buy a slurpee and get a wristband to stay. couldn't even fill a goliath train because they ran two. so, only had to get off if you wanted a different seat. green lantern was open, but i didn't bother. the other ride was drop of doom. after a few cycles, they were waiting for people to run it. multiple rides without getting off being just my nephew and i.

That doesn't seem too bad. I would never expect an ERT to be completely empty but waiting 20-30 minutes during an ERT session is not desirable.

the YOLOcoaster passholder thing was pretty lame. i don't remember if it was 2 hours or 1, but you got to be there before the park opened like at 7am, or something. you didn't really know until you got there that you only got to ride once. but, i knew it was a possibility with the wording. only good thing was, we didn't get kicked out, and just waited until they opened the line up for the GP, and had a very short wait for our second ride. second ride didn't stop in the tunnel and we had a roll back, back into the tunnel. they let us re-ride without getting off so we were lucky to get a third ride.

Only allowing 1 ride sucks considering how early you had to arrive.

ourmountain_thrillpark said to me on instagram @gmdben_2002 we ran 2 circuits at 6PM. and before they ran the trains they had a meeting and said and anyone that had a camera would have been "TERMINATED" but the lucky people out in the parking lot could take video if they want to and not be "terminated"

I'm sorry, but that is such bull$#it... How come SFNE can take and post to the media a video of Wicked Cyclone's first test run [and it was pretty apparent by the applause after it was the FIRST], but there's some sort of super top secret PR blockade that makes SFMM or Twisted Colussus different? Seriously SFMM?.....

I'm sorry but why do you think it is YOUR RIGHT to be able to see video of their first test run? If the park didn't want it released for whatever reason, they didn't release it. I'm just so sick of this awful "entitlement" attitude so many coaster enthusiasts carry. Parks aren't going to make decisions to cater to YOUR personal preferences no matter how entitled you think you are. Deal with it and stop complaining like a two year old baby.

Personally, I'm at least happy they released the first drop footage and we have someone out at the park right now on a construction tour so maybe we'll get more footage.

Edited by robbalvey

ourmountain_thrillpark said to me on instagram @gmdben_2002 we ran 2 circuits at 6PM. and before they ran the trains they had a meeting and said and anyone that had a camera would have been "TERMINATED" but the lucky people out in the parking lot could take video if they want to and not be "terminated"

I'm sorry, but that is such bull$#it... How come SFNE can take and post to the media a video of Wicked Cyclone's first test run [and it was pretty apparent by the applause after it was the FIRST], but there's some sort of super top secret PR blockade that makes SFMM or Twisted Colussus different? Seriously SFMM?.....

I'm sorry but why do you think it is YOUR RIGHT to be able to see video of their first test run? If the park didn't want it released for whatever reason, they didn't release it. I'm just so sick of this awful "entitlement" attitude so many coaster enthusiasts carry. Parks aren't going to make decisions to cater to YOUR personal preferences to matter how entitled you think you are. Deal with it and stop complaining like a two year old baby.

Personally, I'm at least happy they released the first drop footage and we have someone out at the park right now on a construction tour so maybe we'll get more footage.

Well said Robb! Whatever happened to "Less is More" MM knows what they are doing...geez.

MM knows what they are doing...geez.

Wouldn't go quite that far.

In all seriousness, I'm glad they're offering a tour and can't wait to see the photos and videos that come to fruition.

Edited by DJeXeL