TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I assume with SFNE releasing a test video of WC, that SFMM will follow suit

SFMM doesn't do social media like some of the other Six Flags parks, unfortunately. But, I hope it happens, when that time comes. Wicked Cyclone's looks great.

Do we know why SFMM doesn't do major social engagement like a lot of the other big parks do? It seems like a pretty easy thing for them to do and grab a lot of attention. Even little bits would help.

Thats not true that they arent active on social media. I follow SFMM on Facebook and they certainly post a sufficient amount. I like the amount the post..just enough to let you know what's going on without bugging you. In fact just yesterday they posted an official POV of Green Lantern, the last coaster they had yet to post one for. Funny though in the official POV run they didn't even get a flip on the last drop, probably because the train was empty...just sayin they shoulda put one water dummy in it or something to make it flip for the video.

Green Lantern vid:

^Before that video, they had gone since April 18th without posting anything. They don't appear to be responding to people's comments either. Just looks like typical robot posted stuff to me.

Thats not true that they arent active on social media. I follow SFMM on Facebook and they certainly post a sufficient amount.

I'll agree they post, but not much interesting stuff. no videos of construction, or what's going on. just basically advertisements to come to the park. would have loved to see something like the goliath insider. or the rougarou files. cedar point, tony clark, and crew do an awesome job with social media.

look at how good Rob is, the site, forum and events would suck if he wasn't so good at doing it, imo. to me, sfmm is doing basic social media.

Thats not true that they arent active on social media. I follow SFMM on Facebook and they certainly post a sufficient amount.

I'll agree they post, but not much interesting stuff. no videos of construction, or what's going on. just basically advertisements to come to the park. would have loved to see something like the goliath insider. or the rougarou files. cedar point, tony clark, and crew do an awesome job with social media.

look at how good Rob is, the site, forum and events would suck if he wasn't so good at doing it, imo. to me, sfmm is doing basic social media.

Its not fair to compare them to Rob/TPR...TPR is way above and beyond it's nearest competitor. You're right it had been a while since the last video, the others came pretty steadily in a row and there was a gap until this one. I do wish they'd post more (or any?) updates about TC's construction, but there are numerous fan sites posting regular updates in addition to TPR and for the stuff they can't get, RMC fills in that gap. You could also argue that hosting multiple construction tours with fan site operators is contributing to social media even if they arent doing the posting themselves.

[i do wish they'd post more (or any?) updates about TC's construction, but there are numerous fan sites posting regular updates in addition to TPR and for the stuff they can't get, RMC fills in that gap. You could also argue that hosting multiple construction tours with fan site operators is contributing to social media even if they arent doing the posting themselves.

i believe it's there way of doing it with the tours. i love seeing the tour updates. stuff that would be nice to see is ongoing construction stuff they do. like, the tidal wave wall, the jet stream painting, painting at hurricane harbor.

i just think with a great coaster like TC being built, they could update/hype it much better with more inside info on construction.

anyway, i think it would be awesome if they really are that close to testing to let all the construction tour guys witness that.

Alan was indeed at Twisted Colossus today and the orange train was at the bottom of the lift hill last I saw. I'm really excited to see this thing run!

it seems like they have more structural stuff to do with all the wood i see in some pics. but maybe they can run it anyway. WC definitely isn't done with painting, but i'm not sure on all the structural stuff. my guess with alan being there means something good.

As far as I can tell, when you tag Six Flags Magic Mountain, it doesn't even show up on their page. So instead of just doing updates themselves and engaging their fans directly, they rely on other media outlets to do it, tag them, and then they have to share it.

It's hard to completely fault them, since this is by far the most construction tours for any project they've ever offered. However, at the end of the day it really does come of as an old school marketing/PR person still trying to figure out how to use Facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. They're missing a HUGE opportunity to better engage their fans online.

Alan was indeed at Twisted Colossus today and the orange train was at the bottom of the lift hill last I saw. I'm really excited to see this thing run!

Was the entire train there or just the first couple cars? When I visited last week the first two cars were at the base of the blue lift and the rest of the orange train (along with the blue and purple trains) was on the transfer. If it's just the first couple cars, they are likely doing a pull through (or something similar) so we're probably still several days (or more) from testing. If the entire train is indeed down there, then testing is likely to begin very soon (possibly even tomorrow).

I would geek out so much if I saw him in person, I hope someone interviews him again soon. Love listening to him talk

Was the entire train there or just the first couple cars? When I visited last week the first two cars were at the base of the blue lift and the rest of the orange train (along with the blue and purple trains) was on the transfer. If it's just the first couple cars, they are likely doing a pull through (or something similar) so we're probably still several days (or more) from testing. If the entire train is indeed down there, then testing is likely to begin very soon (possibly even tomorrow).

It's the whole train. First run was pushed back to tomorrow morning.

They're missing a HUGE opportunity to better engage their fans online.

EXACTLY!!! I think their (relatively minimal) efforts would be greatly rewarded by engaging with their fans online. Construction interviews, tidbits from Magic Mountain employees, backstage tours during the weekdays during off-season, etc.

I agree... It seems to me to be the cheapest form of publicity... Facebook would blow up with backstage shots and reminders of cool things to come. I know that with Fury updates it caused me to alter my summer plans to get down there this summer for the first time!

Here's the full orange train at the bottom of the lift. Testing should still be happening this morning, but it could be later today as well. Cross your fingers guys!

Edit: photo credit - CoasterCrazy88

Thank you, Jeremy, for posting the picture! For some reason, I couldn't post anything (even a reply) from my phone this morning.

DJeXel, yes! It is very exciting. Jeremy and I have been tracking the construction of this coaster from the beginning. It's so cool to see it coming together so nicely. I definitely think it will test this week.

As far as I can tell, when you tag Six Flags Magic Mountain, it doesn't even show up on their page. So instead of just doing updates themselves and engaging their fans directly, they rely on other media outlets to do it, tag them, and then they have to share it.

It's hard to completely fault them, since this is by far the most construction tours for any project they've ever offered. However, at the end of the day it really does come of as an old school marketing/PR person still trying to figure out how to use Facebook, twitter, instagram, etc. They're missing a HUGE opportunity to better engage their fans online.

I'm a marketing major, and from everything I have studied and watched (both in and out of class), there's A LOT of companies that are still floundering around with social media. Which sucks, because a fun thing like SFMM could really take advantage of all the social media platforms and run with it, especially since their guest demographic is primarily teens and young adults, and are the sole users of the platforms.

I'm a marketing major, and from everything I have studied and watched (both in and out of class), there's A LOT of companies that are still floundering around with social media. Which sucks, because a fun thing like SFMM could really take advantage of all the social media platforms and run with it, especially since their guest demographic is primarily teens and young adults, and are the sole users of the platforms.

This is true. Many places still have that "old school" mentality. I'd say theme parks are one of the worst industries as far as that is concerned.

any update on Tatsu?

I looked at the MM website, and it's not listed as temporarily closed like Scream and Goliath. I hope that's a good sign...

Does anyone know what's going on with Tatsu?

The good news is I heard from someone at the park today who said that it's still closed and would remain so for the rest of the day, but they're cycling empty trains all day. That definitely means that the chain is intact and the lift motor is working, and that hopefully means it will reopen soon.