TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ I agree. Everyone has their personal tastes, and for my money, Twisted Colossus and Wicked Cyclone are my two most anticipated rides of 2015, in that order.

I am fancinated by the idea of racing blue and green tracks, with slightly different forces, all in one ride. Wicked Cyclone, because it looks like an even more intense version of Medusa.

Got some good news, at least one of Scream's trains will be repainted to match the new color scheme. I can't definitively say that they all are but at least one is.

Also, the steel on Twisted Colossus is getting painted white up until where it meets the track, that part looks like it will stay bare steel.

Got some good news, at least one of Scream's trains will be repainted to match the new color scheme. I can't definitively say that they all are but at least one is.

That's great to hear (assuming it's true)! I'd imagine the other trains will eventually be repainted as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen in time for the reopening.

I'm glad SFMM decided to start construction at a reasonable time rather than right about now like they did the past few rides.

It has also been yet another extremely dry winter/spring here. We should be coming out of our "rainy season" in the next couple of weeks, and I can count how many times it has rained on one hand.

TR for Friday (4/24/2015): arrived at 1:30pm and stayed until 6pm. The weather was low/mid 60s, 10MPH winds max (was afraid they'd close X2). X2 is back to two train operations, everything else was normal (operations wise). Full Throttle was a 5 minute wait at 1:45pm, X2 was a walk-on at 3pm, Tatsu was about a 15 minute wait at 3:30pm. Batman, Lex were walk-ons. Ninja was the longest wait at 15-20 minutes (one train).

Twisted Colossus looks RIDICULOUS in all its glory, and that green double-down still looks SO weird in person. RMC were putting additional support/beams on the zero-g roll both times I saw them. Lots of crew members around the track. From atop Lex, I noticed the Screampunk District has more seating area than I anticipated (new concrete poured, planters in the middle)... there were 3 big seating areas.

Anyone else experience this on X2? This was pretty insane...

My friend (who rode in the row next to me, and was only her 2nd time on X2) came off the ride telling me she didn't remember X2 having that much "airtime", that she was out of her seat for 70% of the ride, and that at the end both of her legs were on the same side of the leg divider (one leg shifted over to the other side during the ride!!!). The first thing that came to my mind was that the restraint was not pushed down to the shoulders, but couldn't confirm. UNTIL, a friend of ours who didn't ride showed us 'this cool pic' she took of us when we got back to the station, and my suspicion was confirmed, her restraint was not pushed down (she's in the seat with the blue arrow in the pic, the restraint is up to her ears!)!!! Anyone else experience this or know of anyone who has? I would imagine this is highly unsafe, but not sure. curious How could the operators miss this?

FOT87EF.thumb.JPG.4f74d5906660de8cac02ac42b40c542d.JPG

X2 near death experience lol

Edited by ioio

TR for Friday (4/24/2015): arrived at 1:30pm and stayed until 6pm. The weather was low/mid 60s, 10MPH winds max (was afraid they'd close X2). X2 is back to two train operations, everything else was normal (operations wise). YOLOcoaster was a 5 minute wait at 1:45pm, X2 was a walk-on at 3pm, Tatsu was about a 15 minute wait at 3:30pm. Batman, Lex were walk-ons. Ninja was the longest wait at 15 minutes (one train).

Twisted Colossus looks RIDICULOUS in all its glory, and that green double-down still looks SO weird in-person. RMC were putting additional support/beams on the zero-g roll both times I saw them. Lots of crew members around the track. From atop Lex, I noticed the Screampunk District has more seating area than I anticipated (new concrete poured, planters in the middle)... there were 3 big seating areas.

Anyone else experience this on X2? This was pretty insane...

My friend (who rode in the row next to me, and was only her 2nd time on X2) came off the ride telling me she didn't remember X2 having that much "airtime" and that at the end both of her legs were on the same side of the leg divider (one leg shifted over to the other side during the ride!!!). The first thing that came to my mind was that the restraint was not pushed down to the shoulders, but couldn't confirm. UNTIL, a friend of ours who didn't ride showed us 'this cool pic' she took of us when we got back to the station, and my suspicion was confirmed, her restraint was not pushed down (she's in the seat with the blue arrow in the pic, the restraint is up to her ears!)!!! Anyone else experience this or know of anyone who has? I would imagine this is highly unsafe, but not sure. curious How could the operators miss this?

Seeing this really bothers me. I used to operate X2 in the summer of 2009. The crew I worked with had the quickest dispatch times and rarely did we have any issues. This was one thing that I truly always avoided happening. We never let people leave the station like this. The restraints are so easily adjusted! There's a button on the back you press in and can open, drop, and reclose the restraint with your free arm so the guest is in a more comfortable, safer restraint. It takes 3 seconds to adjust. I remember we had a newer employee at one point and he left a kids restraint like your friends was left. During the ride, the boy was thrown up and slammed back down into his seat. He had back and neck injuries. We had to have an ambulance come take him out on a stretcher, evacuate the station and ramps into the station. They then investigated the ride. All in all we were closed for about an hour, but the point of me sharing is because i want to share how dangerous this really can be.

Yikes! I can't imagine her being in danger, like falling out or anything but certainly that's not "right" and as someone just pointed out, a smaller rider with that much space could indeed be unsafe.

I guess just be glad all that happened was one crazy experience! And hope an oversight like that doesn't happen again!

During the ride, the boy was thrown up and slammed back down into his seat. He had back and neck injuries. We had to have an ambulance come take him out on a stretcher, evacuate the station and ramps into the station. They then investigated the ride. All in all we were closed for about an hour, but the point of me sharing is because i want to share how dangerous this really can be.

YIKES! Hopefully the boy was fine, but I'm surprised SFMM doesn't make it more clear how to adjust the harness on X2. Considering that it's one of the more complicated restraints out there, they should have signs (videos?) that show people what to do, or maybe stop the "are you innnnnn?" audio clips and play an audio loop discussing adjustments.

OT: does X2 ever run 3 trains? I thought it was theoretically possible, but I NEVER see them do that.

^ That doesn't excuse the fact that the ride ops didn't do a proper check. It's not the guest's responsibility to make sure their restraint is properly secured. Sure, we can all pull down a lap bar or shoulder harness but the people who (should) have been properly trained are the ones who are ensuring people don't die.

I would think that by definition, if your legs can come and over the divider, that's unsafe. Your friend probably wouldn't have fallen out, but I would be uncomfortable with a small child riding it with that much wiggle room.

My legs always come close to over the divider too just because of how violent X is. I don't think it's unsafe.

I would think that by definition, if your legs can come and over the divider, that's unsafe. Your friend probably wouldn't have fallen out, but I would be uncomfortable with a small child riding it with that much wiggle room.

It's actually not all that uncommon to wind up with a leg over the divider on X2. I'd say it happens to me on about a third of my rides. The last section of the ride is just so jerky that you have to work to keep your legs from flailing around. That said, having the harness as high as it was in the picture is probably not a good idea. You won't fly off, but you will have a very uncomfortable ride. On most rides, I usually prefer it if the restraint is slightly loose, but X2 is one ride where I find having the harness as tight as possible increases enjoyment of the ride.

OT: does X2 ever run 3 trains? I thought it was theoretically possible, but I NEVER see them do that.

It did the year it reopened, but I do not believe it has since then. Due to the loading time, three trains mostly results in double stacking on X2. In addition, I've heard that the park has a blanket two train policy as the capacity benefit from using all three trains on most of the coasters is not enough to justify the added maintenance cost. Of course, Twisted Colossus will be an exception to this rule due to the nature of the ride.

On most rides, I usually prefer it if the restraint is slightly loose, but X2 is one ride where I find having the harness as tight as possible increases enjoyment of the ride.

100% agree with you here. X2 is the lone ride where having it tight is the best way to go. Personally I have the butterfly restraint all the way tight, and vertically buried into my shoulders, and hands-free during the ride

The vertical adjustment on some of those are broken, too..it may not have gone down. I don't think it's unsafe, at least not in its ability to keep her securely in the car, however its probably uncomfortable.

But if part of the restraint mechanism isn't working properly then that means it would not work as designed. So why then would these still be allowed to be used?