TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

RMC has truly done an outstanding job on the reinvention of Colossus and Wicked Cyclone I mean I am a true Intamin fanboy but I haven't even see one of their coasters where every inch of track just looks like WOW!!! imo. After the neutering of Rev and Colossus us SFMM fans have been crying for years that this park needs something with some airtime. We got Goliath but only came with one airhill some appreciate it others like me are like meh . RMC comes in and finally gives us Mountain dwellers something that looks like it will be airtime galore from the run to the lift hill to the pop up into the final break run looks like there will be airtime with twisty goodness added into the mix. Yes we can pick TC apart and say it could be taller, longer, this or that but what we actually have is looking great to me. I highly appreciate what RMC has done with TC and I truly can not wait to experience Twisted Colossus!!!

And just for those of you who are complaining about the length, just remember that this is the LONGEST COASTER IN THE PARK! 490' longer than Goliath. And more than twice as long as the last new coaster they added: Full (Half) Throttle!

If I were to guess an opening date, I'd say if everything goes on or ahead of schedule, May 23rd. If not, then probably May 30th.

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Ridewatchers » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:08 am

Track. Paint. Testing. Demarche for SF management. Predicting TC opening between June 10th and June 20th. Place your bets, place your bets.

Memorial day seems optimistic.

We went to SFMM on Tuesday. It was empty!! We arrived before park opening and proceed to gold pass entry. We sprinted to Full Throttle and got on the first public train. We then went to X, where we found out it was closed due to wind. So we rode Viper, the arrow 7 inversion coaster. We headed over to Revoulution, where I got to ride twice in a row. We got some lunch at the bbq restaurant and I got a bbq burger. I proceeded to Tatsu, my first b&m flyer. We got a little lost, but found our way to ninja. Which was only running one train(more on that later). I then went to ride Riddler, my first stand up coaster. We then went to apocalypse, which was also running one train. Next we went over to Lex Luthor(my first intamin drop) Omfg, great ride!! My flashpass was ready for green lantern( my first zacspin)! When that was over I ride Batman(my first batman clone). We went up to Samurai Summit again to find Superman still closed. We rode Full Thottle one last time before we headed out. All in all it was a great day at the park. One thing that upset me is that the moose didn't tell me X and Suoerman were closed. I knew Goliath, Scream, and Twisted Colossus were closed already.

Full Throttle: I always thought this ride was gonna be a gimmick, but it was great. Awesome acceleration, great hang time, sick backwards launch, and the top hat provided great airtime! 10/10

Viper: Was expecting pain, but it was great! Fast, forceful, smooth-ish. A lot of fun! 8/10

Revolution: I've wanted to ride it since I saw Vacation. Otsr are not needed, but are not as bad as people say. It was forceful and fun. Doesn't need the trims. I hope the refurb rumors are true. 7.5/10

X2: wasn't open

Tatsu: Amazing! My first flyer other than a Volare. Extremely forceful, especially the pretzel loop. Only running 1 station but 2 trains. 9/10

Ninja: fun ride, slow ops. One train. I know both were just refurbed, and I ask an op why it's only 1 train op, the op replies" I don't know, maybe it's broken." So because of bad operations I'll give it 5.5/10

Apocalypse: Fun, but rough. It was so rough it was hard to enjoy. Please retrack it six flags!! 6.5/10

Riddler: My first stand up. Loved it! People say stand ups are uncomfortable and rough, but I really enjoyed it. It was really similar to kumba, but standing. 8/10

Green Lantern: Fun ride, not anything mind blowing. Once again, not as uncomfortable as people say. 7.5/10

Batman: My first B:TR clone. Holy intense. Great pacing, great elements, great forces.My legs felt like jelly at the end. And it was smooth! 9.5/10

Lex Luthor: My first Intamin drop tower. Holy Sh/+. Amazing view. Only ride I actually freaked out on. Great drop and speed! 10/10

Jet Stream: it was fun. Pretty good length. It was really rough for a flume though. 6.5/10

Really Fun Day. I have a reason to go back for Scream, Goliath, TC, Superman, and X!

I wonder if there will be enough speed to get a little pop going up the double ups?

You've never riden an RMC have you? Lol. You're going to get a pop of air over every. Single. Hill. All of them. And most with force lol.

Ninja: fun ride, slow ops. One train. I know both were just refurbed, and I ask an op why it's only 1 train op, the op replies" I don't know, maybe it's broken." So because of bad operations I'll give it 5.5/10

To answer your question about Ninja, it's train is in rehab early because with the accident with the tree, they had to run that train by itself while they frankenstein'd a second one so it needed its annual rehab sooner than it might have otherwise since it ended up running a lot more cycles.

I wonder if there will be enough speed to get a little pop going up the double ups?

You've never riden an RMC have you? Lol. You're going to get a pop of air over every. Single. Hill. All of them. And most with force lol.

no i have, but i don't think they are all CRAZY airtime like most think. but again, looking at all the new picture, the double up part i doubt will have anything. the down should be pretty okay though.

I must admit, the finishing of the track is bittersweet. It was orgasmic seeing the track completed, but now I can't get my daily fix of track progression pics lol.

Oh well, can't wait until testing begins in several weeks

now you can just try to pay close attention to all the extra support they add after. or, where they are in the repaint. currently, i think they are working on the double down area.

no i have, but i don't think they are all CRAZY airtime like most think. but again, looking at all the new picture, the double up part i doubt will have anything. the down should be pretty okay though.

Considering the first drop is 125 ft and everything after that is dramatically shorter I'm pretty sure there will be lots of ejector and airtime.

Considering the first drop is 125 ft and everything after that is dramatically shorter I'm pretty sure there will be lots of ejector and airtime.

there's going to be some super awesome moments, but there won't be 18 ejector air time moments like that other guy is acting like.

Sorry for the probably dumb question, sooo please no rage storm or OTT reaction, if this is indeed stupid just a simple question:

Is SFMM not on the WCB this year? I only see Knotts, and I know info is still coming soon but just was wondering if anyone had any idea, since Im figuring if I can/how much time to take off.

The twisted pics looks amazing!

Sorry for the probably dumb question, sooo please no rage storm or OTT reaction, if this is indeed stupid just a simple question:

Is SFMM not on the WCB this year? I only see Knotts, and I know info is still coming soon but just was wondering if anyone had any idea, since Im figuring if I can/how much time to take off.

Last year there was WCB Knotts and WCB SFMM and there werent very many perks for SFMM compared to KBF, so they may have dropped SFMM this year or they may just still be working on it.

With Twisted Colossus opening this year, I would be very surprised if the event didn't include SFMM. I'm guessing the details just haven't been worked out (Six Flags is supposedly harder to work with than Cedar Fair) and Robb didn't want to announce anything that isn't confirmed. I'm assuming SFMM will be Saturday, September 12th as it has been in past years, but we should hopefully know for sure soon. That said, I have heard there has been discussion in the past to shift the second day to either SeaWorld San Diego or Universal Studios Hollywood, but I wouldn't expect that to happen this year. I also doubt the event would return to only one day, especially since Robb and Elissa are flying across the country to host it.

As for Twisted Colossus, it's great to hear that the track is in place. They're actually done about a week ahead of what I was expecting, so at this point I would be a little surprised if it's not ready by Memorial Day. If the ride opens earlier, great, but I'm not getting my hopes up. At the moment, I just can't wait to see the coaster testing, which hopefully should begin in a couple weeks.

It's amazing that just plain ol' wood can support and hold up all that steel (+trains) and beams!

Whatever park gets RMC's first ground-up all steel coaster is going to be one lucky park!

Cannot wait to see them testing the track... and the accompanying video footage (on and off-ride)

From the comment sections of a post on TPR:

155022105_WCBThing.JPG.67d769f1bf0133e3163d57d7c9fc84d0.JPG

It's amazing that just plain ol' wood can support and hold up all that steel (+trains) and beams!

Whatever park gets RMC's first ground-up all steel coaster is going to be one lucky park!

Cannot wait to see them testing the track... and the accompanying video footage (on and off-ride)

The thought of an RMC hyper, or a launched steel coaster