TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just watched a video for Wicked Collosus, and I do have to say that while it has some nice elements, (whatever they call the go under while the other track is rolling is nice), I was left thinking "that's it?" It feels awful boring to have it just repeat the same track after a very short duration and I'm a little sad that a racing coaster of its age was done away with for what seems like it will be an afterthought in ten years. Maybe it will prove better than it seems, but a lot of the other RMC coasters have appeared very interesting but this one just seems like a waste.

Are you kidding me with your comments? You cannot even get the name or spelling right. LMAO!!!!

Wow, my wife who was actually becoming an active enthusiast stopped posting on here because she thought every was a jerk, and now I'm wondering why I even waste my time since people here seem to take the fun out of one of the most fun things imaginable.

I live about as far from SFMM as possible while still being in the country, so I'm not exactly up and up on their new ride. I have visited SFMM over ten years ago and will likely not be there again, so it's pretty much an afterthought. I just make a comment where I mix up the name with the Cyclone (and yes, after working 13 hour days all week I got lazy and didn't spell the name right either) and it's ridiculous the level of superiority some have on this board. I've been commissioned as a writer and researcher, so next time I write a paper or prepare a presentation at a conference I'll make sure you proofread it since you must have a doctorate.

My comments still stand: I think this is one of the least imaginative RMC's out there and think in ten years its likely to be an afterthought. I was interested in what RMC might do with a racing or dueling coaster, but the design didn't blow me away like their others have done. Although its apparent that SFMM didn't really operate Colossus as initially designed, I hate to see a coaster that was a prototypical classic racing coaster go extinct. I grew up with a picture of Colossus on my wall, and it to me defined what a wooden coaster should look like.

Just watched a video for Wicked Collosus, and I do have to say that while it has some nice elements, (whatever they call the go under while the other track is rolling is nice), I was left thinking "that's it?" It feels awful boring to have it just repeat the same track after a very short duration and I'm a little sad that a racing coaster of its age was done away with for what seems like it will be an afterthought in ten years. Maybe it will prove better than it seems, but a lot of the other RMC coasters have appeared very interesting but this one just seems like a waste.

Are you kidding me with your comments? You cannot even get the name or spelling right. LMAO!!!!

Wow, my wife who was actually becoming an active enthusiast stopped posting on here because she thought every was a jerk, and now I'm wondering why I even waste my time since people here seem to take the fun out of one of the most fun things imaginable.

I live about as far from SFMM as possible while still being in the country, so I'm not exactly up and up on their new ride. I have visited SFMM over ten years ago and will likely not be there again, so it's pretty much an afterthought. I just make a comment where I mix up the name with the Cyclone (and yes, after working 13 hour days all week I got lazy and didn't spell the name right either) and it's ridiculous the level of superiority some have on this board. I've been commissioned as a writer and researcher, so next time I write a paper or prepare a presentation at a conference I'll make sure you proofread it since you must have a doctorate.

My comments still stand: I think this is one of the least imaginative RMC's out there and think in ten years its likely to be an afterthought. I was interested in what RMC might do with a racing or dueling coaster, but the design didn't blow me away like their others have done. Although its apparent that SFMM didn't really operate Colossus as initially designed, I hate to see a coaster that was a prototypical classic racing coaster go extinct. I grew up with a picture of Colossus on my wall, and it to me defined what a wooden coaster should look like.

Yeah alright dude, you're right, were the jerks. You're the one here being super negative about possibly the best coaster California has ever gotten. If you don't like it then have fun not riding this amazing coaster. How can you complain when you are literally the one taking the fun out of this discussion here?

Edited by chickenbowl

Yeah alright dude, you're right, were the jerks. You're being super negative about the best coaster California has possibly ever gotten. I have no sympathy for you're lack of respect if you honestly think this coaster doesn't put he colossus name to justice. Have fun not riding this amazing coaster.

X is still the best ride I've ever ridden, so I don't see where this is going to top it. I was just making an observation and was curious on if others felt the same way. Apparently they don't, which is fine, and I'm all for what RMC is doing since I'm a negative G and drops junkie who could care less about inversions. My preference is a good wooden coaster, but there have been too many ambitious wooden coasters built over the last thirty years that didn't track well enough to do their designs justice, so I think RMC can bring that to life.

The most defensive post I've ever seen, no one would have come at you had you taken a more diplomatic (as well as grammatical) approach to critiquing "Twisted Colossus". That's all

Yeah alright dude, you're right, were the jerks. You're being super negative about the best coaster California has possibly ever gotten. I have no sympathy for you're lack of respect if you honestly think this coaster doesn't put he colossus name to justice. Have fun not riding this amazing coaster.

and I'm all for what RMC is doing since I'm a negative G and drops junkie who could care less about inversions. My preference is a good wooden coaster

Yet you feel RMC should've left Colossus as it was?

The most defensive post I've ever seen, no one would have come at you had you taken a more diplomatic (as well as grammatical) approach to critiquing "Twisted Colossus". That's all

Theme Park Review: Attack posters but not coasters

I'd just like to point out that RMC are taking their lead from SFMM here. If SFMM wanted a dual-tracked, full-length Colossus revamp, they would have commissioned that from RMC. Instead, they wanted a self-racer (for lack of a better word.) This coulda-woulda-shoulda stuff is rather pointless. Let's leave what might be to the NL2/RCT3 set and focus on what we have: a kickass ride with real airtime. Just saying.

I'd just like to point out that RMC are taking their lead from SFMM here. If SFMM wanted a dual-tracked, full-length Colossus revamp, they would have commissioned that from RMC. Instead, they wanted a self-racer (for lack of a better word.) This coulda-woulda-shoulda stuff is rather pointless. Let's leave what might be to the NL2/RCT3 set and focus on what we have: a kickass ride with real airtime. Just saying.

I do find it a little disappointing that SFMM did not squeeze out all the potential a Colossus RMC remake. So much of the old structure went unused; the ride could have taken another whole lap around the structure per side. Yes, it's the longest hybrid roller coaster, but I can't get over the fact that, especially with two lifts, it could have been twice as long. I saw the pov for Wicked Cyclone not long after I saw the one for TC and I was much more impressed by that ride. If TC lived up to its full potential, it would have been like two Wicked Cyclones in one ride, and that would have been super awesome! Stack that on top of the fact that Colossus wasn't exactly a ride that needed to be destroyed and you might see why some people are disappointed.

In the spirit of keeping an open mind, though, I do need to emphasize that TC will still be one of the best rides that opens this year. I'm really excited for it and, even though I know it could have been more, there's always the issue of money. I'll take this ride for what it's worth.

Yes, Twisted Colossus could have been more, a lot more. But damn the ride is almost done and people are still harping on what it's not?

The old, boring Colossus is dead and gone and isn't coming back (thank God). What has replaced it is a ride SFMM has needed for a long time...an airtime machine.

If that's not good enough for some of you, we'll that's too bad. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it and probably will have it somewhere in my top 10. Old Colossus ranked about 127 on my list.

YMMV.

Well on that note, good news from the park!!

There are literally only like 3 more track pieces that need to be installed, and that is for the blue zero-g inversion. The green track has been 100% completed and the only part remaining is the inverted blue track.

The double-up and outward bank are complete and look awesome! Wouldn't be surprised if the ride has its track complete by the end of the weekend.

^ I was going to bring up El Toro and Skyrush and how people said those rides "could have been more", and then they opened and suddenly those complaints were drowned out by praise. This is exactly the type of coaster SFMM needed.

I'm assuming by the height of the second turnaround that if the ride were to go another lap it would be slow as hell. There are so many turns in directon that kill the speed. Also it's running nylon or polyurethane wheels it's going to run slower then if were to have steel wheels.

I find it really amusing that people are still upset about Twisted Colossus. Yes it could have been taller, longer, faster, etc. but the coaster as it is will still likely be the new best coaster at SFMM and will probably make it into the top 25 of most enthusiasts. The dynamics of a steel coaster are different from that of a wood coaster, so I honestly don't think we would have gotten the full layout without a significantly taller lift hill (which would be an expensive modification in California). I also feel that SFMM did as much as they could with the money they were given...Twisted Colossus as it is was probably a $10 million project (or possibly a bit more) and we all know Six Flags is unwilling to shell out much more than that on a single park in a year. For those saying the ride is repetitive, that may be true to a degree, but about half the RMC coasters are somewhat repetitive and if the overall ride experience is outstanding does it really matter that much? In the end, Twisted Colossus is an excellent addition to SFMM and is unlike anything else in the park. It will probably please almost everyone who rides it, and if it isn't your thing there are 18 other coasters for you to choose from (almost all of which will have a shorter line).

Actually, this is reminding me a lot of Full Throttle a couple years ago. When the ride was announced and all the way until opening, there was little but disappointment. After it opened? Most considered it a great ride. I'm betting the same thing will happen in a month or so, we'll just have to wait and see.

Well on that note, good news from the park!!

There are literally only like 3 more track pieces that need to be installed, and that is for the blue zero-g inversion. The green track has been 100% completed and the only part remaining is the inverted blue track.

The double-up and outward bank are complete and look awesome! Wouldn't be surprised if the ride has its track complete by the end of the weekend.

Awesome! I'm planning to go to the park next week and I'm almost more excited about just seeing this ride complete than what I'll actually be riding (the keyword here being almost). Last time I visited, only the first drop was up. Assuming everything goes well with testing, I would be quite surprised if they can't make a Memorial Day opening for the ride.

I can't believe how fast RMC finished putting the track down for the ride. Very impressive.

Also, this is a ride that pictures don't do justice. I have the distinct pleasure of seeing the construction progress week by week in person and every new element they put up looks absolutely fantastic.

The Screampunk District might actually be finished quicker than we think though. They are already pouring concrete for the walkways and most of Magic Moments has been repainted and rethemed on the outside. They have also begun work on Twisted Witches (although it's not that far along). Only thing that disappointingly hasn't been touched is Scream plaza and Scream's station, but that probably won't take long to do whatever they are going to do.

I can't believe how fast RMC finished putting the track down for the ride. Very impressive.

Also, this is a ride that pictures don't do justice. I have the distinct pleasure of seeing the construction progress week by week in person and every new element they put up looks absolutely fantastic.

The Screampunk District might actually be finished quicker than we think though. They are already pouring concrete for the walkways and most of Magic Moments has been repainted and rethemed on the outside. They have also begun work on Twisted Witches (although it's not that far along). Only thing that disappointingly hasn't been touched is Scream plaza and Scream's station, but that probably won't take long to do whatever they are going to do.

yeah, some of that concrete stuff can go very fast. even Carowinds entire entrance seemed to be nothing, then done all of a sudden. Lots of work still seems to be needed at Cedar Point, and boom, it will be done in a month. so, i think they can finish everything even though it might seem the coaster is way ahead of the rest right now.

Only in California do people complain about having too much airtime.

Uhhh...I'll take exception to that. Whoever is complaining about airtime on this ride is looney, and ALL states have looney's. And being facetious ( ) I wouldn't doubt there are several people in other states that complain about stupid stuff which us coaster enthusiasts actually enjoy. Like airtime. Don't matter where you're from! Thing is this thread and this park is one of the most popular on the site, so you get to hear EVERYTHING (social media, people that typically wouldn't post) that goes on as opposed to stuff at other parks in other states that nobody really takes time to talk about.

Just my 2 cents.

And stop the Cali hate just cause you're not here. There's no place I'd rather live! West Coast Best Coast! lolol

I wouldn't doubt it'll be done quickly considering the extent of work that typically goes in to newly themed areas at the park. Concrete, concrete, tables, spray painted concrete, no shade, tables. Doesn't really take that long to put together. That being said, I hope there's a lot more that comes along with the area. Honestly I liked it how it was, and while it could have used a facelift and some love, I'm never a fan of seeing this company tear out complete areas for new attractions. They're not very good at it IMO.

Guys, it's a public forum. Just because someone has an opinion that's different than yours doesn't mean they should get attacked. You're not right, they're not right. it's really not that important to nit pick at someone's grammar, we all knew what he meant.

So how about back to the pictures? Lol

Only in California do people complain about having too much airtime.

Since there is almost no "real" airtime to speak of, most people here are very unfamiliar with the concept. When/if they find it, they generally think it's some sort of safety threat. As if the mere presence of a modicum of airtime is itself going to result in millions of deaths due to people being launched out of the train.

I do find it a little disappointing that SFMM did not squeeze out all the potential a Colossus RMC remake. So much of the old structure went unused; the ride could have taken another whole lap around the structure per side. Yes, it's the longest hybrid roller coaster, but I can't get over the fact that, especially with two lifts, it could have been twice as long.

I don't understand the logic of people complaining that they don't "go around another lap".

A single ride on old Colossus was TWO laps of the footprint. If you rode on the other track (if it was running you'd have to get of the black train, pay for another ride and get on the red train).

With Twisted Colossus you're still getting TWO laps of the foot print but your get TWO chances on the big main drop.

Are the complainers saying that it should be FOUR times round the footprint as a single ride?

You never got that on original Colossus!!