TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just watched a video for Wicked Collosus, and I do have to say that while it has some nice elements, (whatever they call the go under while the other track is rolling is nice), I was left thinking "that's it?" It feels awful boring to have it just repeat the same track after a very short duration and I'm a little sad that a racing coaster of its age was done away with for what seems like it will be an afterthought in ten years. Maybe it will prove better than it seems, but a lot of the other RMC coasters have appeared very interesting but this one just seems like a waste.

Are you kidding me with your comments? You cannot even get the name or spelling right. LMAO!!!!

Just watched a video for Wicked Collosus, and I do have to say that while it has some nice elements, (whatever they call the go under while the other track is rolling is nice), I was left thinking "that's it?" It feels awful boring to have it just repeat the same track after a very short duration and I'm a little sad that a racing coaster of its age was done away with for what seems like it will be an afterthought in ten years. Maybe it will prove better than it seems, but a lot of the other RMC coasters have appeared very interesting but this one just seems like a waste.

There is no meme/gif/emoticon that can accurately portray how hard I laughed at this comment.

I stopped reading your comment when you said airtime aside. Ugh...

fa·ce·tious

fəˈsēSHəs/Submit

adjective

treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

synonyms: flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous;

fa·ce·tious

fəˈsēSHəs/Submit

adjective

treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

synonyms: flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous;

Last day at the park today. X2 was still closed (for me no biggy since I don't ride it), but the high winds really never materialized. Superman was running today too. I got 14 YOLO rides = no lines. Good finish to my vacation here.

The green track on Twisted Colossus was nearly complete when I left Lex (great construction view) at 4:30. Only about 3 or 4 metal pieces remain. I'm sure they finished it up before sundown.

In my 25 years of riding colossus, it never raced...

I don't remember much racing... but going through some late 90s POV pictures, there it is! Racing down drop #2 I was in the red train, and you can see black to the left. Color me surprised!

LOL i did have a gap where i was away from the park... from 92-99.... probably missed it... because anytime i have been on it during dual dispatches...they always stopped one of the trains on the lift ...

In my 25 years of riding colossus, it never raced...

I don't remember much racing... but going through some late 90s POV pictures, there it is! Racing down drop #2 I was in the red train, and you can see black to the left. Color me surprised!

LOL i did have a gap where i was away from the park... from 92-99.... probably missed it... because anytime i have been on it during dual dispatches...they always stopped one of the trains on the lift ...

Why did they stop a train on the lift? Was it the mysterious "California law against racing a coaster" (file that with the one about Revolution not being able to run with lap bars.) I could see there being an issue as people used to grab hands and pass stuff...

I also ran across a picture with on red train on the lift, one coming into final brakes and I'm assuming the 3rd red train is getting ready to leave the station. I guess they were serious about adding the block brake (double dip) in order to run 3 trains on each side (when they went to Morgans.)

Related, I read an article from a guy who had a hand in building the ride, and said they wanted to originally run 10 (ten!!!) trains. There were brakes on each curve, but things didn't work out so well. Those IAD/NAD trains didn't last long.

In regards to Colossus racing, I have been visiting SFMM regularly since 2000. In that time, I have seen Colossus racing one time: WCB 2010 during night ERT. Honestly, I can't recall ever seeing the ride running both tracks during normal operation other than Fright Fest, and even though both were running at the time no attempt was typically made to race the trains. From what my parents have said, it sounds like intentional racing has never been too common on Colossus, which made it really special when two trains happened to line up perfectly.

It raced occasionally during my time working there from 2001-2003. It was during that time when the trains started to be salvaged for parts.

Yessiree I'd say you're hitting it on the head. This period is probably one of the last times I experienced it as well. At that time I was visiting a couple times a year, and I'd say I saw its last races basically around the same time Flashback was having its last couple seasons, before it closed down for good.

I don't know if there was a secret to dispatching them together from the station, or if the weight and wear and tear on the ride really affected how the racing interacted, but overall my perception of the racing those last few years wasn't very good. However before that time, I would say during the mid-90's, I do remember yelling at the other train as we were side by side going up the lifts, and during the turnarounds and some other parts. That was pretty fun stuff. Didn't know at the time how rare those kinds of Colossus rides would be, but whattya gonna do?

They've gotten so much work done on TC in the last month or so. I wonder if by some miracle they can squeeze in a Memorial Day opening

Possible, but I'd be really surprised. Hard to know, since we haven't really been able to see the station / queue area, and plus there's all the electrical to be done once the structure is in place.

From a picture I saw on instagram, the green track is complete and the framing is up for the blue zero-g. I wouldn't be surprised if the track work was completed tomorrow. I'm guessing the next week or two they'll finish the bracing and structure work and do the painting. If Wicked Cyclone will be able to open by memorial day (and they haven't completed track work yet) then I'm sure TC can!