TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ Considering Goliath was running 2 trains and still managed to have 5 minute dispatch intervals during my last visit, I don't think an extra train would help. They'll all be stacked up on the brakes anyway.

^ Considering Goliath was running 2 trains and still managed to have 5 minute dispatch intervals during my last visit, I don't think an extra train would help. They'll all be stacked up on the brakes anyway.

unfortunately, this will probably be true. most of the reason i believe is slow employees. the other, is the GP. what will help is that i believe the trains will get to the station faster off the brakes than say, yolo. 2 train operation there is like 1.25 trains since it takes so long for the train to get off the brakes and back to the station.

Just saw some photos on IG and my paranoia has been put to rest the outward bank is up

Was going to post the pic but wasnt suren if IG photos are allowed here

it's hard to tell from all the pics i've seen from today, but it just seems like it will be really small because of the block brake. the drop after the outward bank is what i WAS looking most forward to.

but the rest of the ride looks phenomenal. getting excited.

Extra trains=at least there is always a train waiting outside the station.

there is a second outer bank turn it appears,as the green going into the brakes has a new added hill!!!

it looks like it just goes up the double up, banks out, then down halfway to the brake. like a short version of the video. that green side is tiny. we'll have to see if it does anything depending on how much energy is left at the end.

there is a second outer bank turn it appears,as the green going into the brakes has a new added hill!!!

The angle of ascent into the brake run on the green side looks sharper than the vid. Hopefully that translates into a pop of air at the end.

There is a small dip between the top of the hill and the start of the brakes. There's no additional outside bank on the green side.

Looks like a nice mix of floater and ejector airtime on this ride. Couldn't be happier that they didn't go nuts on inversions on this ride.

AGREED! One inversion for each side is perfect. SFMM is already WAY too inversion heavy.

I was at the park again today and it was empty. I got 47 rides today. I even saw a YOLO rollback, as I was next in line for the front car! I guess that was a "Half Throttle" launch.

Take this for what it's worth. I saw 2 maintenance men on the top of Goliath's lift hill this morning. I'm hoping that's a good sign that it might be running before the estimated 2 month wait I've been hearing.

RMC working hard on TC all day.

Your obsession with MM, and lack of pictures, continues to disappoint me, Sir. C'mon, you're there all the time and love the place - take some pictures!

Is the fear in not having a backup chain ALWAYS on hand that the park fears that if they purchase one now, and end up removing the ride prior to it being needed, that they'll have 'wasted' the investment? Is there really a chance that a coaster like Goliath would be torn down....and even if it was, would it not be sold/relocated (with the extra chain included/paid for)?

There's a lot of variables involved.

A lift chain is definitely not something you expect to give out before it needs to be replaced, but on the flip side...If you also know that there is a huge lead time for a replacement, you have to make a tough decision: pay more upfront for something you might not need, or pay even more and have to wait a long time when you do end up needing it.

Kinda makes me wonder who handles parts and/or equipment for a ride like Goliath where the manufacturer is out of business. Do other manufacturers handle things like lift chains (ie B&M or Intamin) or are parts handled by third party people?

I was at the park again today and it was empty. I got 47 rides today. I even saw a YOLO rollback, as I was next in line for the front car! I guess that was a "Half Throttle" launch.

47 rides?!

I guess Spring Break crowds are over? How empty are we talking about? I plan to go Wednesday.

Yes it was absolutely empty today, wish I could ride some rides while I'm there...

RMC and the contractors have really kicked it in to high gear this last week. The only thing that isn't done now on the blue side is the inversion!

I don't want to curse it but I'm thinking Memorial Day weekend is more than possible for opening. *knocks on wood*

Kinda makes me wonder who handles parts and/or equipment for a ride like Goliath where the manufacturer is out of business. Do other manufacturers handle things like lift chains (ie B&M or Intamin) or are parts handled by third party people?

B&M, Intamin, Zierer, etc use 3rd party vendors for various components. Magic Mountain most likely purchases from a chain vendor that also supplies B&M with their chains. And as others have said, you don't want an excess inventory of parts. For example, back in the 1980's Knott's purchased a DC motor that drives the rear cable tensioner of Montezooma's Revenge that's responsible for returning the "Bob" to the station after a launch. They didn't need it until 2007/2008, so that was money sitting on the shelf for 20 something years.

^That makes sense, so then the question it comes down to is whether liquidity of that cash is worth the possibility of one of your major attractions being down for weeks or months of the year.

With Zoom, i can see why that doesn't make sense. But if I were a manager at SFMM, I'm not sure I would be comfortable with the possibility of having X2 down for nearly 6 months, or Goliath for who knows how long. Obviously you can't prepare for every possible situation, but if you know that the chain you use will take months to be manufactured, delivered, and installed, it may be worth the risk aversion.

I'm not saying that's what they should do, because I don't know all the costs and what the rest of their financial situation is like. But I would have to be convinced that the odds of this happening are insanely low, and that the downsides to having extra parts on hand were high enough to outweigh the possibility of going through the bulk of the season without one of the star attractions.

Your obsession with MM, and lack of pictures, continues to disappoint me, Sir. C'mon, you're there all the time and love the place - take some pictures!

Is the fear in not having a backup chain ALWAYS on hand that the park fears that if they purchase one now, and end up removing the ride prior to it being needed, that they'll have 'wasted' the investment? Is there really a chance that a coaster like Goliath would be torn down....and even if it was, would it not be sold/relocated (with the extra chain included/paid for)?

Wait, time out. Did Goliath's lift chain actually break? When did this happen? All I've seen here is TC updates.

I have a question. When a lift chain snaps. Are they able to change out the broken links. (If the chain is still in good shape) or is it manufactured in a way that the entire thing has to be replaced. Just curious...

I have a question. When a lift chain snaps. Are they able to change out the broken links. (If the chain is still in good shape) or is it manufactured in a way that the entire thing has to be replaced. Just curious...

Depends on how many links are broken. If the chain is in bad shape in general then the entire thing will be replaced.

Edited by DJeXeL