TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

From what I've heard, the plan for Twisted Colossus is to run all four trains during the opening summer, then run three with the fourth only used during the busiest times. While the ride can operate with four trains, it doesn't seem like there will be too much of a capacity advantage (probably less than 200 riders per hour) by using four instead of three and the main motivation was to prevent two train operation as much as possible.

Umm.... No actually. They specifically said they would run three trains with the fourth kept as a spare, in storage.

Can you link where thy said this? I'm not doubting you, but that was the impression I gathered from when the details were coming out, and considering this ride will have upwards of 6-7 blocks.

i've seen/heard this as well. what i've never remember seeing is that TC is meant to run 4 train operation.

I remember reading about the 3 train operation as well, but it never made sense to me. The way TC's layout is, it seems impossible for the dueling aspect to work that way. Seems like four trains would need to run consistently in order for it to duel consistently.

I think there's no debating that Colossus has the capacity to run four trains. It has plenty of blocks to run all four when necessary.

I'm almost certain I remember reading that the park ensured everyone they would always try to run a minimum of three trains. My assumption of running four came from the fact that "minimum" implies "at least," meaning four train operation is in the plan.

I remember reading about the 3 train operation as well, but it never made sense to me. The way TC's layout is, it seems impossible for the dueling aspect to work that way. Seems like four trains would need to run consistently in order for it to duel consistently.

4 train operation is unnecessary for the dueling aspect. When a train exists the station, it will meet the train before it that has completed the blue track, and the train before that will be entering the station after completing the green track. Two trains on the tack, one train in the station, and they rotate.

4 train operation is unnecessary for the dueling aspect. When a train exists the station, it will meet the train before it that has completed the blue track, and the train before that will be entering the station after completing the green track. Two trains on the tack, one train in the station, and they rotate.

In a perfect world, with perfect people, and perfect ride ops yes it's possible. Hell if it was Cedar Point it'd probably be possible. Let's keep it 100, this is MM we're talking about

The 4th is only a spare the way the system is laid out it can only monitor up to 3 trains at a time. There's only 2 holding areas directly before the station and then its station that is the 3rd holding area. The other break areas after station and the one before 2nd lift could hold the train but to bring it in to the maintenance bay it would have to cycle track. Witch isn't ideal. No room for a 4th. If it was designed for 4 there would be a longer break area on the green side. Anyways they want to run 3 at all times and more then I even heard that if there's only 2 trains available they wont run it... witch most likely means they will shut it down when it rains. 2 trains will actually be the minimum for this ride for some cases.

I'm not sure witch of these posts to believe: do you believe those who may have read they bought 4 to run 4 (but can't recall where they read it) or those that say they bought four and the coaster can actually only run 3 at a time?!?! Witch weigh to go?!?

Do we have any new news on Sky Tower? Has there been any work going on, or we simply in another multi-year gray area in regards to the ride's future?

Just to put all of this to rest (who am I kidding). It was Robb who posted a direct quote from director of operations, who stated that Twisted Colossus would have four trains and would always run three.

I assume that to mean that the fourth train would help with the swapping out of trains come time for maintenance. How consistent they'll be over the long haul is the only question.

Just to put all of this to rest (who am I kidding). It was Robb who posted a direct quote from director of operations, who stated that Twisted Colossus would have four trains and would always run three.

I assume that to mean that the fourth train would help with the swapping out of trains come time for maintenance. How consistent they'll be over the long haul is the only question.

This is the quote I was referring to, but my interpretation of this was they would always run three at a minimum, with the fourth used on busier days. You can't promise to always run three trains if the ride only has the capability to run three... in a perfect world this may happen, but realistically it probably won't. My take: "always" run three --> we will run min. three, four when needed.

No^. The park clearly states that it CAN and sometimes WILL run 4 trains, but it will always run at least three.

I'm more concerned about the track getting installed and them testing it before "oh my god, is it going to have 3 or 4 trains!!?"

No^. The park clearly states that it CAN and sometimes WILL run 4 trains, but it will always run at least three.

I'm more concerned about the track getting installed and them testing it before "oh my god, is it going to have 3 or 4 trains!!?"

Lighten up, there's nothing wrong with discussion/speculation

Aside from the obnoxious and unnecessary photo...

I care. 3 trains vs. 4 trains with SFMM's less than stellar operations will have a huge impact on my wait in the line.