TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I would be stunned if the park made it to 2021 without a new coaster. History says a new coaster is coming in 2017.

I wouldn't be surprised if the park got a new coaster (or two) somewhere between now and 2021, I just think they might not get their 20th until then and anything before that time would be a smaller ride. SFMM has a pretty large surplus of coasters, so it's not too unlikely that one may leave the park in the near future to give another Six Flags property a cheap addition. Also, according to rumors I've heard elsewhere the park may be taking a couple years off from coasters so I'd expect the next one in the 2018-2020 range.

^No need to hate on GL. Many people like it

Although I don't love the ride, I'm not a Green Lantern hater and I do ride it more often than not when visiting the park. I just don't think it is a good fit for SFMM and it would probably be better at one of the smaller Six Flags properties.

I don't think we are expecing that...they haven't been opening a new coaster every year (somebody mentioned that they are, and I suppose that's true if you count Lex Luthor as a roller coaster). Angelinos go wherever something new is...I would actually think SFMM might be laying low next year because they aren't going to be able to match the hype of PotterLand. It would be a great year to work on keeping annual passholders renewing and fixing up things around the park.

Head choppers galore!

I can't wait to hear the SoCal GP's reaction to this ride. I have a feeling some reactions are going to be hilarious.

I'm pretty sure many are going to think its dangerous. I don't know if its a So Cal thing, but many many people I talk to don't like the feeling of airtime. Maybe it's why SFMM has more inversions than any other park in the world? If anything it will keep lines shorter for the ride! (dreaming, I know).

Below are some verbatim examples from instagram comments on photos of Twisted Colossus (I won't post usernames because I'm not a jerk)-

"That sh!t look bent"

"Yup someone's gonna die on there."

"sorry but how can i prevent to get backache on the green track "

"The green part, was it supposed to look like that? (The bent/messed up part)"

"omg that does look concerning"

So yes, I agree! Once the ride is open, the GP's reactions will be incredible!

That's depressing

I don't think we are expecing that...they haven't been opening a new coaster every year (somebody mentioned that they are, and I suppose that's true if you count Lex Luthor as a roller coaster). Angelinos go wherever something new is...I would actually think SFMM might be laying low next year because they aren't going to be able to match the hype of PotterLand. It would be a great year to work on keeping annual passholders renewing and fixing up things around the park.

Season Pass holders to SFMM buy their passes for two reasons:

1. rides.

2. cost.

I don't think the majority of their season pass holders will care about a refurbished bathroom or fresh coats of paint.

1. rides.

2. cost.

I don't think the majority of their season pass holders will care about a refurbished bathroom or fresh coats of paint.

I completely agree. As much as everybody wants to see the park take a few years off of coasters and do general improvements and add flat rides, it's just not in the cards. The park makes their money by building thrill rides, and that's not going to change anytime soon. I think if SFMM is going to have a down year, I would expect something like a Sky Screamer to be added.

1. rides.

2. cost.

I completely agree. As much as everybody wants to see the park take a few years off of coasters and do general improvements and add flat rides, it's just not in the cards. The park makes their money by building thrill rides, and that's not going to change anytime soon. I think if SFMM is going to have a down year, I would expect something like a Sky Screamer to be added.

But a Sky Screamer is a flat, and new flats don't exist at SFMM. Perhaps a small kiddie coaster instead?

^I think it was Goliath at SFOG in 2006. That was $20 million. The next season, someone in Six Flags upper management mentioned how they wouldn't be adding rides like that for a long time, as that is what got them into debt.

Yes, Mark Shapiro spoke with the AJC in Atlanta during the construction of Goliath in late 2005 and pretty much made the statement "No more Goliaths" and no park in the chain has invested as much since.

While that decision makes perfect sense considering what the company has been through, I do wish they selectively allowed for larger investments one park at a time.

1. rides.

2. cost.

While it doesn't make an immediate impact, customer service/ambience/cleanliness are very important for any park. It is a slippery slope. SFOG had a major change in their clientele and by 2005 the atmosphere at the park was just very unappealing. They managed to turn it back into an environment that appeals to a wider audience in recent years in my opinion. This does make a difference as I knew a lot of people who wouldn't go to the park anymore. Six Flags America and Kings Dominion are a good example of 2 parks to compare on that level.

I'm curious as to what is so unappealing about Magic Mountain. I find much of the park to be pretty well themed, specifically the Gotham City area. I like how the park is wooded and has a mountainside sort of feel by Tatsu and Ninja. I think Full Throttle worked wonders for the front area of the park and the fountain there never was an eyesore either. I predict the screampunk area will also look good. Overall I think the park gives off a pretty good vibe. It's definitely different than a cedar fair park, but it's not bad. Call me blind, but to an extent it feels like Islands of Adventure.

Okay, Islands of Adventure clearly has much better theming, but I think the overall vibe is similar.

I'm curious as to what is so unappealing about Magic Mountain. I find much of the park to be pretty well themed, specifically the Gotham City area. I like how the park is wooded and has a mountainside sort of feel by Tatsu and Ninja. I think YOLOcoaster worked wonders for the front area of the park and the fountain there never was an eyesore either. I predict the screampunk area will also look good. Overall I think the park gives off a pretty good vibe. It's definitely different than a cedar fair park, but it's not bad. Call me blind, but to an extent it feels like Islands of Adventure.

Okay, Islands of Adventure clearly has much better theming, but I think the overall vibe is similar.

11SNTD_logo_375p-4e552e6f237a9.jpg

^In all seriousness, the park is not what it should be. Period. Do they have an amazing coaster line up? Without a doubt! Are they doing everything they can to make general upkeep the norm? Nope! Will I still visit to ride TC? You bet your a$$.

I can say that I much prefer this incarnation of SFMM over any since the late 90's. No lorger am I showing up and finding 5 coasters closed for no reason, and I don't fear for my safety any longer.

I hope they continue to remodel old areas of the park, and add some diversity of attractions. Employees are still hit and miss, but better than before, and they'really no longer anti airtime!

I can say that I much prefer this incarnation of SFMM over any since the late 90's. No lorger am I showing up and finding 5 coasters closed for no reason, and I don't fear for my safety any longer.

I hope they continue to remodel old areas of the park, and add some diversity of attractions. Employees are still hit and miss, but better than before, and they'really no longer anti airtime!

I will admit their coaster down times have been kept to a minimum.

I'm curious as to what is so unappealing about Magic Mountain. I find much of the park to be pretty well themed, specifically the Gotham City area. I like how the park is wooded and has a mountainside sort of feel by Tatsu and Ninja. I think YOLOcoaster worked wonders for the front area of the park and the fountain there never was an eyesore either. I predict the screampunk area will also look good. Overall I think the park gives off a pretty good vibe. It's definitely different than a cedar fair park, but it's not bad.

Completely agree with this. Was just there yesterday and was totally happy with operations, food options (That new Sports Bar next to The Throttle had some great cheese curds and some awesome beers on tap), and the look of the park in general (outside of cyclone bay of course). Even saw some security actively stop a bunch of line jumpers.

It's a shame it's so trendy to hate on the park.

As it stands, Six Flags is the leading franchise when it comes to baby sitting teenage youth. 13-17 year olds don't have much disposable income. And they may be purchasing a season pass and a meal or 2 per visit, but not much beyond that. It's kind of hard to promote growth when that's your main demographic.

I think adults tend to expect things like nice bathrooms and shade. If the parents can't enjoy themselves, why bother going with the kids? If the adults aren't going, six flags misses out on those patrons with a bit more buying power to spend on ancillary purchases. Believe it or not, the most lucrative group for theme parks is the 18-34 year old range which is probably about the age range of most people on this site. We as coaster enthusiasts put up with a bit more because we love to ride coasters, but that's a passion I don't think the general population of our peers to hold.

It's been a while since I've been to SFMM but from past experiences, I've noticed its always better to go during the late winter - early summer. By about mid summer-fall, operations seem to fall apart, long lines are abundant, its hot, and overall it's just not fun. SFMM still has some work to do but I think they can get there.

Call me blind, but to an extent it feels like Islands of Adventure.

LOL. This comparison doesn't exist. SFMM and IoA will never be on the same playing field; it's apples and oranges.

There's a bunch of little things SFMM can do that would improve not only their operations, but their perception. In recent years they've turned things around, but that doesn't mean much when it was utter crapola before. It just went from ultra crapola to so-so crapola. The rides notwithstanding of course, just talking about the environ.

I think out of the 10 times I've been in the last 6 months, at least half of those times X2 was closed, and the other 25% it broke down at some point while I was in line. That's pathetic. Multiple rides that are running subpar, with long dispatches. I mean, even the Goliath crew never hits their dispatch times, and they are supposedly the best crew in the park? Tatsu is pathetic, but I'll partially blame the riders on that one. I don't think I've spent a day at SFMM and thought to myself, "wow, they were running on all cylinders today!" ... that would be the day.

With that said, can't wait for TC to open so I can plop my ass on that beauty

#jaded