TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm new here but I read this often. I actually come here so see what people think about the park. I work at sfmm in the ride ops sector. I know I'm not suppose to leak information about the park but there's not much to leak with my knowledge anyways there aren't a lot of secrets its pretty straight forward. I can help give an inside perspective and talk about some ride closers and openings and explain how the park operates from a ride op perspective. so if you have any questions ill be happy to answer them. There are a lot of misconceptions about the park. Some things you may not realize is not up to the sfmm management. Like the TC construction. I'm not here to stick up for the park or talk trash. Let me know what you wanna know.

I'm new here but I read this often. I actually come here so see what people think about the park. I work at sfmm in the ride ops sector. I know I'm not suppose to leak information about the park but there's not much to leak with my knowledge anyways there aren't a lot of secrets its pretty straight forward. I can help give an inside perspective and talk about some ride closers and openings and explain how the park operates from a ride op perspective. so if you have any questions ill be happy to answer them. There are a lot of misconceptions about the park. Some things you may not realize is not up to the sfmm management. Like the TC construction. I'm not here to stick up for the park or talk trash. Let me know what you wanna know.

Welcome to the website. I admit I too was looking at the site for a year daily before I decided to register.

I'm curious how long you have worked there and based on that when is the best time to go? How was Superbowl Sunday?

How much time is spent opening the rides? (Turning on testing ect.)

How often do people use the VIP program?

Just be careful what you say and post. Management actually does pay attention to this forum and if you give out information they will find out. Just a heads up.

Otherwise, welcome and glad to see a fellow Magic Mountain worker.

I'm just curious who exactly decides on the color scheme for the coasters.......curious if that persons favorite color is orange?

"Totally Useless Trivia, About the Color Orange..."

Orange used to be The Only Color you could (almost) not buy, in... glitter.

Around the 1970s - 1980s.

Truth! Posters, drag stuff, crafts...all things now done by the internet these days.

The color in glitter was very rare back then. Have no idea why. Still don't know why.

Not to keep the wood subject alive, but I would be curious how much of the original structure does get replaced in one of these RMC projects. I'm sure a lot of the original structure (of which I guess I would also be curious how much wood on that coaster dated back to 1978 before RMC even touched the ride) is coming towards the end of it's usable life.

I think that just varies greatly depending on the wood obviously. in one of the videos, they are talking about needing to replace a lot of the wood on the lift hill anyway. then, the different elements might need different bracing, so that of course would be new.

Wood doesn't really have a useful life. There are 200 year old original wood homes still standing. They said some of the lift hill wood was badly damaged by chain grease so it needed to be replaced. If the other wood doesn't show signs of insect damage, fungus, rot, or splitting; it could last another 100 years. It all depends on how well it maintained in the first place.

Not to keep the wood subject alive, but I would be curious how much of the original structure does get replaced in one of these RMC projects. I'm sure a lot of the original structure (of which I guess I would also be curious how much wood on that coaster dated back to 1978 before RMC even touched the ride) is coming towards the end of it's usable life.

I think that just varies greatly depending on the wood obviously. in one of the videos, they are talking about needing to replace a lot of the wood on the lift hill anyway. then, the different elements might need different bracing, so that of course would be new.

Wood doesn't really have a useful life. There are 200 year old original wood homes still standing. They said some of the lift hill wood was badly damaged by chain grease so it needed to be replaced. If the other wood doesn't show signs of insect damage, fungus, rot, or splitting; it could last another 100 years. It all depends on how well it maintained in the first place.

in one of the videos Bruce Thompson, project manager, said, that they were going to have to replace a lot of wood on the lift hill because of "significant structural defects". the wood was "getting to the end of their life span". i wonder how many of those 200 year old wood homes have supported a moving roller coaster with grease and crap rolling on it for 30 plus years? haha

No, but wood that's stressed repeatedly, like that on a coaster, can fail with much less force.

Wood, no matter how much you change it, protect it and strengthen it,

still eventually decomposes. It just isn't as lasting as steel or cement. Most times.

IMhO

Just be careful what you say and post. Management actually does pay attention to this forum and if you give out information they will find out. Just a heads up.

Otherwise, welcome and glad to see a fellow Magic Mountain worker.

I'm aware what I can and can't say. Not much I can spill anyways that I know to much about.

Welcome to the website. I admit I too was looking at the site for a year daily before I decided to register.

I'm curious how long you have worked there and based on that when is the best time to go? How was Superbowl Sunday?

How much time is spent opening the rides? (Turning on testing ect.)

How often do people use the VIP program?

My first day actually working was on colossus on the 16th of August. As of right now I don't know to much about how busy the spring season is but my best bet is Wednesday and some Sundays. Today wasn't that packed. At least where I was. Superbowl Sunday was dead if I remember correctly. not as much time for us as you think. Like 20 mins to do block check depending on the ride. But maintenance goes in way before we do and from what I understand they check a lot. I see VIP at least 3 times a day. Its a lot more popular then what I thought originally. I pretty much know everyone in the VIP department lol. That's how often I see them bringing people in.

I'm just curious who exactly decides on the color scheme for the coasters.......curious if that persons favorite color is orange?

lol I think there's a lot of reused paint but then again if you think about it its kinda hard to make a paint scheme work on those rides. theres not much that will look good over time so sticking to same shades of colors is pretty much the way to go. Look at screams old paint. Didn't take long to look crappy. But tautsu and riddles revenge is still good. But I'm pretty sure it one of the executives that come up with it I have no idea tho. Its at least done in house from what I understand. Originally I thought scream was gonna be silver supports and crimson red track but I was way off. They where doing testers with silver tho. It was actually not bad.

Riddlers still looks great but Tatsu looks terrible. It's got the same "sucked on skittles" look as Scream did. It's the only coaster in the park right now that really looks in need of a paint job.

I totally agree about Tatsu.....when they do get around to painting it...i PRAY they paint the supports like a tree colored green or a brown so they blend in..........and the track can be anything...EXCEPT ORANGE... but i am sure that that is exactly the color they will paint it..... puke!!

Riddlers still looks great but Tatsu looks terrible. It's got the same "sucked on skittles" look as Scream did. It's the only coaster in the park right now that really looks in need of a paint job.

Tatsu is definitely the only coaster that is in dire need of a paint job this instant, but sadly the red on Viper is starting to fade and Revolution is still the half painted mess it was when Tatsu opened. Other than the nitpicky details, every other coaster actually still looks really good. It's a nice change of pace from the days of rainbow vomit X and faded Scream and Batman.

In other news, Goliath is the latest Magic Mountain roller coaster to fall victim to specific advertising. Hopefully only one train gets wrapped (if that's what they're doing). Goliath: Monster Hunter The Video Game: The Ride.