TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

TC is listed under "Moderate Thrill" .... errr?

What? You really think that Twisted Colossus will be more intense than the rock climbing wall? OMG! THE ROCK CLIMBING WALL!!!!!

This list makes zero sense...

"Hey little Johnny....Do you want to do the rock climbing wall or that 400 foot free fall tower? They are the same level of intensity."

Ahh see the rock wall is 400 feet as well. Magic Mountain forgot to advertise that as a world record.

But you see, Six Flags would never be caught dead forgetting to advertise a WORLD RECORD!!!!1 After all, what is the point of building anything if it isn't the biggest, longest, or fastest??!

That's what she said...

LOL. Watch out for the credibility patrol!

The park maps have never made sense. Tatsu is now drawn as going UNDER the lift hill for craps sake.

Who do they hire to draw these things up?? I feel like they could hold a "Whatever guest draws the best park map wins a season pass" competition with park fans voting and the maps would be 1,000,000 times better than any map the park has ever released. And it'd cost the company NOTHING!

These guys at SF have no clue what they're doing---PERIOD. But thank Christ the company at least decides to keep installing roller coasters...becuase if it weren't for that, I'd have no reason to show up!

Cheers to Twisted Colossus! Looks unlike ANYTHING I've ever seen before. And I already look forward to riding it.

LOL. Watch out for the credibility patrol!

The park maps have never made sense. Tatsu is now drawn as going UNDER the lift hill for craps sake.

Who do they hire to draw these things up?? I feel like they could hold a "Whatever guest draws the best park map wins a season pass" competition with park fans voting and the maps would be 1,000,000 times better than any map the park has ever released. And it'd cost the company NOTHING!

Honestly, the thing I really care about on park maps is the accuracy and clarity of the pathways, and this map does a good job. The maps at Knotts right now are terrible for trying to decipher how to walk to anything in the park.

The park maps have never made sense. Tatsu is now drawn as going UNDER the lift hill for craps sake. Who do they hire to draw these things up??

I feel like they could hold a "Whatever guest draws the best park map wins a season pass" competition with park fans voting and the maps would be 1,000,000 times better than any map the park has ever released. And it'd cost the company NOTHING!

These guys at SF have no clue what they're doing---PERIOD.

Are we seriously talking about this now? I take it all back, lets go back to arguing over the parking lot theme of Scream.... For %#@$! sake. Draw a bunch of dicks on the map with the ride names, just as long as it tells me how to get there and where the entrances/fast pass entrances are. I'll figure out the rest.

YOLOcoaster and Superman do not require an upcharge, but you must get Platinum in order to use Flash Pass on them and you may only use it once per ride.

Has this been confirmed at the park? I'm still holding out hope that it's a poor wording on their website because Superman was the one ride that made SFMM's Flash Pass actually worth buying to me. I'm down with the no riding twice in a row thing, but once per visit? For a ride that's nearing 20 years old?? That's insane.

And the Platinum is $110!! For that much money, I'd be better off spending the day at Disneyland.

I'm really do hope that what they're trying to say is that both rides are actually available now on all flash pass levels, just with the restriction that you can't ride twice on Platinum. (One can hope, right?)

But then again, Six Flags is known for doing silly, unreasonable things all the time, so it's probably the worst-case scenario.

Why not? They have to reprint the maps anyway for TC. It might be more realistic to have season pass holders vote through some sort of a "survey" (like the ones MM sends out every so often). You'd see the top 5 or 10 or whatever and click a radio button next to the one you think is best.

Another possibility: a prize for doing all 23 non-premium attractions at the park during a peak operating day in under 4 hours. Catch: you don't get to use a flash pass. The prize: a walking tour of Six Flags Magic Mountain. Don't forget to BYOB.

It always bothers me when a park repaints a coaster and they don't bother to change it on the map. And I find it interesting that they consider Twisted Colossus, Superman, and Drop of Doom to be "moderate thrills" instead of "maximum thrills."

Sadly, Scream has been yellow and purple on the maps since it opened. It's never been the right color.

As for the moderate thrills, I thought it was strange that Drop of Doom was on the list when it opened years ago and definitely don't think Twisted Colossus should be on there either.

YOLOcoaster and Superman do not require an upcharge, but you must get Platinum in order to use Flash Pass on them and you may only use it once per ride.

Has this been confirmed at the park? I'm still holding out hope that it's a poor wording on their website because Superman was the one ride that made SFMM's Flash Pass actually worth buying to me. I'm down with the no riding twice in a row thing, but once per visit? For a ride that's nearing 20 years old?? That's insane.

And the Platinum is $110!! For that much money, I'd be better off spending the day at Disneyland.

I'm really do hope that what they're trying to say is that both rides are actually available now on all flash pass levels, just with the restriction that you can't ride twice on Platinum. (One can hope, right?)

But then again, Six Flags is known for doing silly, unreasonable things all the time, so it's probably the worst-case scenario.

The wording is exactly the same as that found on Six Flags Great America's website for Goliath, and I know from experience that Platinum was required and it was one ride with Flash Pass, period. I have to assume the same policy will exist at SFMM for Full Throttle and Superman. I understand the reasoning behind it, as Full Throttle has been there long enough that few people would probably still buy an upcharge for it yet the ride has capacity issues, and Superman is probably the park's lowest capacity coaster and still routinely posts hour-plus waits despite it's age. Personally I'm more surprised that they still have the X2 upcharge, but I guess since many GP visitors regard that as the most insane ride ever there are still plenty of people wiling to buy it.

Also, why doesn't Colossus, Superman, YOLOcoaster, or X2 have flash pass listed on the map? Are those the extra rides that have an up charge?

X2 requires an upcharge and is only available on Gold or Platinum. YOLOcoaster and Superman do not require an upcharge, but you must get Platinum in order to use Flash Pass on them and you may only use it once per ride. My guess is that Twisted Colossus will have the same restrictions as YOLOcoaster and Superman for the first year or so (that's what Goliath used at SFGAm), then it will become unrestricted once lines shrink to a manageable level. It's possible the park could have no Flash Pass at all for the first couple months (I believe they did this on YOLOcoaster), but as capacity should be reasonable for Twisted Colossus and that ride would be the main reason to purchase Platinum over Gold I'd be a little surprised if they did that. It's also possible they could charge extra for Twisted Colossus, but I'm guessing they'd end up making more money by not upcharging the ride.

Yes, in this thread, a few pages back. Here's a clear breakdown of the rides that are not "normal" flash pass use:

X2: Unchanged, still an upcharge, requires Gold or Platinum.

YOLOCoaster: No longer an upcharge, but requires Platinum.

Superman: No longer a normal Flash Pass, now requires Platinum, but no upcharge.

Twisted Colossus: If they follow the same pattern as they did when adding YOLO, and Lex Luthor, it will be a $15 upcharge reservation with Platinum required.

What I'm not sure of and haven't seen confirmed is how exactly theyre doing the "one per day" restriction that I've heard there is with YOLO and Superman. Ideally they just program your QBot device to allow one use, but they might be using boarding passes, reservations, or just marking off your wristband in some way.

Also, why doesn't Colossus, Superman, YOLOcoaster, or X2 have flash pass listed on the map? Are those the extra rides that have an up charge?

X2 requires an upcharge and is only available on Gold or Platinum. YOLOcoaster and Superman do not require an upcharge, but you must get Platinum in order to use Flash Pass on them and you may only use it once per ride. My guess is that Twisted Colossus will have the same restrictions as YOLOcoaster and Superman for the first year or so (that's what Goliath used at SFGAm), then it will become unrestricted once lines shrink to a manageable level. It's possible the park could have no Flash Pass at all for the first couple months (I believe they did this on YOLOcoaster), but as capacity should be reasonable for Twisted Colossus and that ride would be the main reason to purchase Platinum over Gold I'd be a little surprised if they did that. It's also possible they could charge extra for Twisted Colossus, but I'm guessing they'd end up making more money by not upcharging the ride.

Yes, in this thread, a few pages back. Here's a clear breakdown of the rides that are not "normal" flash pass use:

Superman: No longer a normal Flash Pass, now requires Platinum, but no upcharge.

Twisted Colossus: If they follow the same pattern as they did when adding YOLO, and Lex Luthor, it will be a $15 upcharge reservation with Platinum required.

What I'm not sure of and haven't seen confirmed is how exactly theyre doing the "one per day" restriction that I've heard there is with YOLO and Superman. Ideally they just program your QBot device to allow one use, but they might be using boarding passes, reservations, or just marking off your wristband in some way.

when i went to SFGAM, yeah they programmed into the qbot 2 rides on Goliath. Luckily, it was changed to two before I went from the one ride.

also, not sure if it can be done at Magic Mountain but what the girl did for me at SFGAM was, i bought the two for one gold with the gold season pass, then upgraded to platinum. saved me one regular priced gold pass. it's the only time i've ever bought a flash pass, so excuse me it that was just a normal trick.

The wording is exactly the same as that found on Six Flags Great America's website for Goliath, and I know from experience that Platinum was required and it was one ride with Flash Pass, period. I have to assume the same policy will exist at SFMM for YOLOcoaster and Superman. I understand the reasoning behind it, as YOLOcoaster has been there long enough that few people would probably still buy an upcharge for it yet the ride has capacity issues, and Superman is probably the park's lowest capacity coaster and still routinely posts hour-plus waits despite it's age. Personally I'm more surprised that they still have the X2 upcharge, but I guess since many GP visitors regard that as the most insane ride ever there are still plenty of people wiling to buy it.

I visited SFGAM in July, got a Platinum pass and got 2 rides on Goliath, which surprised me because I thought going in it was just going to be one.

The park maps have never made sense. Tatsu is now drawn as going UNDER the lift hill for craps sake. Who do they hire to draw these things up??

I feel like they could hold a "Whatever guest draws the best park map wins a season pass" competition with park fans voting and the maps would be 1,000,000 times better than any map the park has ever released. And it'd cost the company NOTHING!

These guys at SF have no clue what they're doing---PERIOD.

Are we seriously talking about this now? I take it all back, lets go back to arguing over the parking lot theme of Scream.... For %#@$! sake. Draw a bunch of dicks on the map with the ride names, just as long as it tells me how to get there and where the entrances/fast pass entrances are. I'll figure out the rest.

...and the people that are complaining obviously do not even need a map to get around. As far as Park Maps go this one is pretty darn accurate.

This is really disappointing, IMHO. I'll be out in LA for work in a couple weeks (3/28-29), and I was thinking of hitting up SFMM, but I don't really want to shell out $110 for a flash pass that's only going to get me on Superman once (my favorite ride at SFMM to ride over and over). And I don't terribly relish the thought of saving the money and waiting in lines all afternoon for re-rides.

The thought had crossed my mind to hit up Disneyland instead, but I am unsure about that, especially given the current ride closures and expected crowd levels.

The thought had crossed my mind to hit up Disneyland instead, but I am unsure about that, especially given the current ride closures and expected crowd levels.

If I'm not mistaken, the end of March is the start of Spring Break season. You'll not only be fighting locals on the weekend, but vacationing families, too.