TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I have a question about the track on RMC coasters, because I read this on Wikipedia after researching Outlaw Run:

The 2,937 feet (895 m) of track is made primarily of layers of laminated wood, with a steel plate located in the upper layers of the track.[22] The steel plating is known as Topper Track and is found on many roller coasters that Rocky Mountain Construction has renovated...Rocky Mountain Construction spent four years developing technology to allow them to twist beams of wood, that make up the lower layers of the track.

I thought the topper track, and all the other track RMC used was all steel? Is TC using the same style track as Outlaw Run?

Because now that I look closer at the track, there ARE 3 lines that run horizontally along the outside frame of the track that could be the bent layers of wood surrounded by steel plates on the inside of the track. So either I'm understanding this Wikipedia explanation wrong, or I've been wrong about the RMC topper track all along!

I could of swore it was all steel, and they laid it on wooden structures, kinda like Gemini at Cedar Point.

I live very close to the park and my family and I are planning to go on its opening week. In fact, we just got back from park. They have not quite finished the high-five element, but they are very close. Also, regarding Scream's paint job. They have painted the whole track blue with orange supports. It looks like they got rid of the yellow altogether.

^They're the swing dampeners.

Isn't swinging the whole point of Ninja?

It's to make sure that the trains don't swing too much and damage the train or injure the rider.

You must be new here

Day made.

I just understood the sarcasm in the comment I was replying to. I should really stop doing things when I am tired haha.

Hi SFMM fans.

First time poster, short while reader.

I'm travelling from Australia next week and one of my stops is going to be at SFMM Sat 28th Feb. Had a few questions for those with local knowledge.

I have a rule of thumb i alway follow, well, for me Saturdays are Taboo, never ever ever ever go on Saturday, but since you are from way out of town and thats the only day you can go, then YES!!!!! get the flash pass....the PLATINUM flash pass.

Thanks..due to schedules not much choice on days. I'm lucky to manage to squeeze this into the itinerary as it is, SFMM isnt exactly that exciting proposition for a pregnant wife and a 3 year old.. hopefully the kiddy rides and a few sitings of looney tunes characters keep them entertained

As you are visiting on a non-holiday weekend in the off-season, crowds will probably be moderate. Expect 30-60 minute waits for headliners assuming 2 train operation. If you had a full day or had visited the park before, I'd say a Flash Pass was optional, but since you'll likely be leaving late afternoon I'd recommend purchasing one (ideally Gold...don't waste money on Platinum). When the park opens, go straight to YOLOcoaster, then go retrieve your Flash Pass. After that, ride order doesn't matter too much, so just go in a logical sequence. I usually go counter-clockwise around the park to hit X2 mid-afternoon when lines are shortest (X2 is an upcharge on Gold Flash Pass). As for single rider, I'd recommend using it for Lex Luthor and Green Lantern (and Riddler's Revenge if you opt out of a Flash Pass). For all these attractions, just go up the exit and follow signs.

Thanks. I'll judge the flash pass after rushing to Full Throttle, but its not that expensive an addition in the scheme of things and if $70 is going to save me hours of wait time in the day its worth while.. and i'll try the counter-clockwise direction, but might rush to X2 after Full Throttle if the lines not too bad..

Budget for a flash pass incase it's unexpectedly busy but don't buy it ahead of time. I don't expect it to be terribly busy any time soon as long as there are no special events. In my opinion the regular flash pass is pretty useless, because when the park is busy enough to warrant a flash pass, I'm not going to wait the 45-60+ minutes for each ride to be busy. If the lines are short enough, I'm not getting a flash pass at all. So I get the gold flash pass which will knock almost all wait times down to 5-15 minutes. You can check into one ride and then reserve your next one while you're in the station and most of the time your next ride is ready when you come out of the exit.

Single Rider lines are your best friend when you're flying solo. The most beneficial are Green Lantern, Riddlers, and Lex Luthor. Viper and Revolution also have them, but it's rare that you'll actually need them there. Riddlers is the one thats pretty hard to find. I'll PM you some directions to find the different Single Rider lines.

Your plan is basically the one I use. If it is busy enough for a flash pass, wait until after you've ridden YOLO (and X2 if its line isnt long yet) to get the flash pass since they arent included on it (Unless you pay $10 or $15 per ride, requires gold for X2 and platinum for YOLO)

Thanks for the tips..Looks like the consensus is judge the flash pass after Full Throttle but make sure i budget for it (as above, $70 isnt much in the scheme of an international holiday and if it saves me a couple of hours wait time its worth it)

and thanks for the pm, i checked through the recommended single rider lines..

If i had a gold flash pass, is it still worth bothering with single rider lines?

Once again, thanks for the tips.. Looking forward to some fun

If i had a gold flash pass, is it still worth bothering with single rider lines?
For Riddler's definitely. The SR line is so hidden that people dont use it unless they already know where it is, so it's virtually always a guaranteed walk on. Worst case if the standby line is totally empty, it's still a push. If Lex's line is > 30 and Green Lantern's is more than about 15 (which it almost always is, its a complex coaster to load like Tatsu), then SR lines will still benefit you, especially if you want to ride something repeatedly. Note that Lex Luthor's Single Rider line won't even be available if the standby line isn't long enough (which is usually about 30 mins or so, a couple of switchbacks inside the building). They open and close it when necessary.

Just saw this on Instagram. Does this seem sketchy to anyone else??? And what ride is this by the way?

Depends on the ride. There are many attractions that are perfectly safe for a young child as long as they are able to sit up on their own and on the inside of the seat, next to an adult.

Just saw this on Instagram. Does this seem sketchy to anyone else??? And what ride is this by the way?

Depends on the ride. There are many attractions that are perfectly safe for a young child as long as they are able to sit up on their own and on the inside of the seat, next to an adult.

I do agree. It depends on the ride but I dont recognize which ride at SFMM that is by the picture. We have very few flats at the park but the ones we do have outside of Buggs Bunny World don't seem safe for a toddler.