TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Problem is, Otis doesn't work for free. SFMM probably doesn't have OR want to spend the money required to update permits and maintain a service contract. Seems to me that the park is just taking the "easy way out" and just pretending the Sky Tower is not there.
That's exactly what I was wondering. It was originally built by Intamin and I'm told that Intamin "can't" fix it (that could mean they decline to, or MM wont pay for it, etc) and I immediately thought of OTIS. I know they didn't build it, but there's no more expert on elevators of any kind in the world than they, and surely they would be able to figure out a way to fix it if MM wanted to pay for it, and I suspect that they don't.

This got brought up several pages back and at that time I was also discussing the polar coaster idea. Obviously thats a hell of a lot more expensive, but also a lot more marketable. It's possible they're already considering it, and it does kind of fit their M.O. if you think about it. The left side of Colossus sat absolutely neglected for at least 2 years before it closed and we all speculated about an RMC makeover. It probably just wasnt used for a while and at some point they started talking in earnest about the RMC makeover and decided it to just leave the left side be. If MM was considering a Polar Coaster or a new tower of any kind, it would make sense that they would close it now and not want to spend the money to overhaul it. I don't think they would ever get rid of the tower altogether without replacing it.

Of course they might just be cheap, too

Robb. I was up in the tower during WCB 2013, early September, but when I went back in January 2014 it was closed, and has been closed ever since....

Interesting...

Let me clarify. Lol. Been there 8 times since then last time was thanksgiving weekend

This got brought up several pages back and at that time I was also discussing the polar coaster idea. Obviously thats a hell of a lot more expensive, but also a lot more marketable. It's possible they're already considering it, and it does kind of fit their M.O. if you think about it. The left side of Colossus sat absolutely neglected for at least 2 years before it closed and we all speculated about an RMC makeover. It probably just wasnt used for a while and at some point they started talking in earnest about the RMC makeover and decided it to just leave the left side be. If MM was considering a Polar Coaster or a new tower of any kind, it would make sense that they would close it now and not want to spend the money to overhaul it. I don't think they would ever get rid of the tower altogether without replacing it.

Of course they might just be cheap, too

As with any business, capital budgeting is more a function of proper timing rather than simple wants and needs. There's a huge decision-making process behind that timing, all during which plans can/will be changed.

The poler coaster idea is a neat idea, but more wishful thinking than anything. There would have to be a ton of structural modification done that could send the idea into cost-prohibitive land real quick. At this point it would probably take an outside company agreeing to sponsor the Sky Tower and cover the costs of restoring & maintaining it for it to be open regularly.

It was just an idea... but I don't think it is as farfetched as some are quick to jump too. I don't see a reason to think they tower its somehow structurally inadequate... A few years ago people thought adding a drop tower onto the existing Superman Ride was impossible or somehow structurally impossible yet it was done... we also have seen a situation where Kingda Ka had structural mods done to the existing tower. I'd feel like there is a way to make it happen if the park wanted to. I also think S&S could figure it out.

I feel like mm always does this. They close a ride for a while then reopen- close again and then removes it or changes it in some form or another. They don't like to spend too much money on an older ride if they are planning to change it. It kind of sucks, I enjoy observation towers with great views for pictures

As with any business, capital budgeting is more a function of proper timing rather than simple wants and needs. There's a huge decision-making process behind that timing, all during which plans can/will be changed.

The poler coaster idea is a neat idea, but more wishful thinking than anything. There would have to be a ton of structural modification done that could send the idea into cost-prohibitive land real quick. At this point it would probably take an outside company agreeing to sponsor the Sky Tower and cover the costs of restoring & maintaining it for it to be open regularly.

I could see Sky Tower getting turned into a giant ad. That would be a very Six Flags thing to do!

Whatever the case may be, I just wish the thing was open.

hmmmmmmmmmm......

Our Mountain

10 hrs ·

We're pretty excited that Scream will receive a new paint job... will that include all-around theming and tuneup? I guess we'll have to wait and see! — at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

FB user:- Do you know if its still keeping these colors? I love the cool color scheme

9 hrs · Like · 2

Our Mountain @ Facebookuser ...Probably not, when we hear or see something we'll post it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=841268019249772&set=a.265502966826283.63864.100000997444553&type=1

Wait... Is "Our Mountain" run by a SF employee?

Has anyone attempted to do a sit down with the park president/GM etc? It seems impossible that it's 2015 and everyone is theorizing about what is going on with the tower. Would there be a specific reason why a higher up at the park wouldn't just answer that question directly? It just seems like a strange thing to be in such a gray area....

How 'bout the fella that just transferred to Fiesta Texas? Isn't he friendly with this board (or enthusiasts in general)? Might he be able to shed some light/gameplan?

Has anyone attempted to do a sit down with the park president/GM etc? It seems impossible that it's 2015 and everyone is theorizing about what is going on with the tower. Would there be a specific reason why a higher up at the park wouldn't just answer that question directly? It just seems like a strange thing to be in such a gray area....

How 'bout the fella that just transferred to Fiesta Texas? Isn't he friendly with this board (or enthusiasts in general)? Might he be able to shed some light/gameplan?

The information that I've given is from such a sit down. I don't think it was with Bonnie, but this person, who runs a competing theme park website, went and sat down with park management and asked them about it..what I have said is what they were willing to say. There can be many reasons the park doesn't want to share information about ongoing projects or lack thereof. Just because they aren't sharing doesn't mean they don't know more. I have no doubt that they know exactly what it would take to reopen the tower and why they haven't done it, but it's their prerogative to not share that with us.

So I visited Knott's yesterday (it was awesome!) and I noticed that they didn't have metal detectors before you enter the park like Magic Mountain does. I was wondering if anyone knew when/why Magic decided to put in metal detectors? I'm guessing they weren't around when the park originally opened.

So I visited Knott's yesterday (it was awesome!) and I noticed that they didn't have metal detectors before you enter the park like Magic Mountain does. I was wondering if anyone knew when/why Magic decided to put in metal detectors? I'm guessing they weren't around when the park originally opened.

Before going into Haunt, Knott's security will perform a non-invasive pat down and waive a metal detector wand on all guests. This has never happened to me at SFMM. I've not seen a metal detector wand or a metal detector arch at Disneyland, despite how that park often has bigger crowds than Knott's and SFMM combined. Different parks simply have different security measures.

Park metal detectors are no longer uncommon. I have even heard that at Great Adventure they pat you down. Also, Kennywood's metal detectors are so sensitive, they will go off if you have a few coins in your pocket. (Which I was actually glad to see, considering that Kennywood is not in the best area).

Park metal detectors are no longer uncommon. I have even heard that at Great Adventure they pat you down. Also, Kennywood's metal detectors are so sensitive, they will go off if you have a few coins in your pocket. (Which I was actually glad to see, considering that Kennywood is not in the best area).

GADV has had metal detectors for years but I have never been or seen anyone else be pat down. The metal detectors are annoying since they slow your entry into the park but in the long run, they make the park safer. Even employees must enter through a metal detector.

Back when Kennywood was pay-per-ride with free admission, the clientele became pretty seedy in the 80's. After what was either a shooting or stabbing inside of the park, the metal detectors went up (as well as requiring an admission fee). To my knowledge, they were one of the first parks to install them (if not THE first).

So I visited Knott's yesterday (it was awesome!) and I noticed that they didn't have metal detectors before you enter the park like Magic Mountain does. I was wondering if anyone knew when/why Magic decided to put in metal detectors? I'm guessing they weren't around when the park originally opened.[/quote

It was for all the thugs and misfits. SFMM at one time was horrible to visit. I was at the park when TLC performed and a riot broke out. Since that day MM started to go down hill!

I think the answer to your question (SFMM compared to KBF) is the difference in the crowd each park attracts. KBF attracts more families than SFMM and probably has less issues with fights and weapons. SFMM, attracts more teenagers and people more likely to bring weapons into a park, so it became more of a necessity for them, and as VCXFreak points out it used to be a lot worse than it is now.

Hey all,

So, I don't go to theme parks often, and the last time I was at SFMM was a few years back for the West Cost Bash.

My friend is visiting, is a coaster lover, and has flat out asked me to take him to Magic Mountain - which I'm certainly not opposed to.

In fact, I'm relatively hopeful about shorter lines since we are definitely in the off-season.

The reason I am posting, however, has to do with me. And if this isn't the right place for this post, let me know...

But, anyhow - I'm a big guy. Not ginormous, I'm about 6' 3" 300 lbs. I remember clearly, last time I was at SFMM, there were at lest two rides I sat in line for, got in the seat, and couldn't ride due to the harness not accommodating my... size.

I figured if anything you guys could let me know which rides at SFMM a big guy like me would be unable to fit in, and thus may make my friend skip or ride solo....

Thanks!

Hey all,

So, I don't go to theme parks often, and the last time I was at SFMM was a few years back for the West Cost Bash.

My friend is visiting, is a coaster lover, and has flat out asked me to take him to Magic Mountain - which I'm certainly not opposed to.

In fact, I'm relatively hopeful about shorter lines since we are definitely in the off-season.

The reason I am posting, however, has to do with me. And if this isn't the right place for this post, let me know...

But, anyhow - I'm a big guy. Not ginormous, I'm about 6' 3" 300 lbs. I remember clearly, last time I was at SFMM, there were at lest two rides I sat in line for, got in the seat, and couldn't ride due to the harness not accommodating my... size.

I figured if anything you guys could let me know which rides at SFMM a big guy like me would be unable to fit in, and thus may make my friend skip or ride solo....

Thanks!

I would definitely avoid Gold Rusher, thats the only one I can think of that can be difficult to squeeze into especially for anyone over 6 foot.

I think the answer to your question (SFMM compared to KBF) is the difference in the crowd each park attracts. KBF attracts more families than SFMM and probably has less issues with fights and weapons. SFMM, attracts more teenagers and people more likely to bring weapons into a park, so it became more of a necessity for them, and as VCXFreak points out it used to be a lot worse than it is now.

Exactly it just depends on the area mostly. Both SFDK & CGA have had them installed but I noticed about 2 years ago CGA stopped using them, even during the Haunt they only had wands I believe. Comparing the area around Silicon Valley to Vallejo, which is really bad in some areas, I see why SFDK has continued to use them although I haven't been for a year. SFDK handles way more crowds as well, as CGA can be almost empty on weekdays and it's mostly full of young teens. I personally never seen anything above childish shenanigans at CGA but SFDK I've seen quite a bit, even security tackling this huge dude who was a second away from landing on a baby walking behind. I do think GCA looks way more inviting without them but I understand the need.