TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I don't know if this is too forward thinking but Revolution's 40th anniversary is coming up next year. Does anyone else think that the park might buy new trains or something even though it will be an "off" year for the park (given that a major project is being done this year)? I mean, looking at X, Superman, and Colossus it seems that the park is into re-investing these coasters that sort of worn out/problematic.

I don't see Southern Californians ever understanding a B&M wing coaster. Everybody would just see it as a tame version of X2, no matter how cool they made it.

I don't think SFMM ever built a drop tower because, as mentioned, we had Freefall, KBF had Supreme Scream, and DLR had MaliBoomer. No need to invest millions into something that already exists nearby. They waited until they could announce something completely different, which they got with LLDOD.

I do like the idea of a hyper/giga coaster, but lets be real. We have been wishing for one of those at ANY of our parks for like 15 years now.

So anyway, after TC I'd love to see a sprucing up of Revolution and general improvements around the park. I really believe that the park doesn't NEED any more coasters after this (but omg we totally needed this!). We have one of the coolest collections of random and unique coasters you could possibly ask for. Yeah we don't have a Skyrush or a Maverick but who can say they have the random assortment we have?

^That's the thing...I pretty much always go to the park with different "GP" friends, and once we are done riding coasters, there is absolutely no reason to stick around. We usually end up leaving after 4 or 5 hours on a slow day. If they had some other attractions besides Jet Stream and Roaring Rapids, they might be able to keep me around for another few hours, and most importantly for them, a meal.

SFMM embraces who they are...a place with a bunch of coasters and nothing else. It works for them. Is it the most efficient business model? No way, since it is entirely dependent upon adding rides year after year.

They just added Holiday in the Park to try and "retain" guests (families) that would otherwise not visit the park or stay all day because they realize their investments need to come in the form of attractions.

I'm not buying a pass for the food, service, or how it looks under Scream (assuming they spruce it up). I'm bought a pass because it's a dirt cheap way to ride Twisted Colossus as much as I want.

Edited by Jew

I don't know if this is too forward thinking but Revolution's 40th anniversary is coming up next year. Does anyone else think that the park might buy new trains or something even though it will be an "off" year for the park (given that a major project is being done this year)? I mean, looking at X, Superman, and Colossus it seems that the park is into re-investing these coasters that sort of worn out/problematic.

This

Visited the park yesterday for the first time in a few months and overall had a good day. The longest wait of the day was 15 minutes for Tatsu, everything else was pretty much a walk on. As what has been discussed before Apocalypse has not aged well in its short five years of operation, the jackhammering is prevalent, especially in the tunnel before the station fly through. It's sad to see a GCI turn to crap so fast, I used to really enjoy Apocalypse and now it is a one and done ride. I can't help but think negatively towards SFMM for what seems to be a complete lack of care for their rides, I don't see this happening at another park. SFMM is still pretty gross too, queue lines have a noticeable amount of garbage in them, but I guess when your focus is xtreme thrill on top of xtreme thrill this kind of thing tends to happen.

There were some positives throughout the day, X2 and Batman were both running better than they have been in a long time providing for some very enjoyable rides.Twisted Colossus looks great in person, that RMC crew is fast at what they do. I'm really hoping SFMM can get something right with Colossus and the new Screampunk district. Hopefully this will be a chance for the park to improve the offerings that they already have and clean the place up, but I'm not holding my breath.

^That's the thing...I pretty much always go to the park with different "GP" friends, and once we are done riding coasters, there is absolutely no reason to stick around. We usually end up leaving after 4 or 5 hours on a slow day. If they had some other attractions besides Jet Stream and Roaring Rapids, they might be able to keep me around for another few hours, and most importantly for them, a meal.
They should probably also start serving some decent meal. Currently I don't eat at the park no matter how long I'm there. (Havent tried the FT Sports Bar yet..I hear it's servings are edible)

I'm of the mind that SFMM should never attempt another wooden coaster again... Ever.

Or maybe just be careful what kind of wood they use in the future. There are other parks in similar climates that don't have rides disintegrate like that. Colossus held up remarkably well over the years compared to Psyclone and Apocalypse, so I dont think it's the park or the environment alone.

^Not to mention California's two Giant Dippers that are doing pretty good for being right next to the ocean for around 90 years.

Well the SD Dipper was renovated in I think 1990, and I know the SC Dipper gets exceptional love and care, the kind Six Flags doesn't usually provide. (Both are also painted white like Colossus) Really it was the quake that destroyed Psyclone though, if not for that it may have been a different story. Perhaps there were corners cut on Apocalypse's construction not using the type of wood necessary for the climate and/or neglect the coaster would be likely to receive.

I'm of the mind that SFMM should never attempt another wooden coaster again... Ever.

I never understood why MM didn't install an Intamin pre-fab woodie, especially after the success of El Toro 3 years prior. Maybe cost? Space? Prior commitment to GCI? *shrugs*

Just seems like a pre-fab would've been right up MM's alley of easy-to-maintain

^Not to mention California's two Giant Dippers that are doing pretty good for being right next to the ocean for around 90 years.

Well the SD Dipper was renovated in I think 1990, and I know the SC Dipper gets exceptional love and care, the kind Six Flags doesn't usually provide. (Both are also painted white like Colossus) Really it was the quake that destroyed Psyclone though, if not for that it may have been a different story. Perhaps there were corners cut on Apocalypse's construction not using the type of wood necessary for the climate and/or neglect the coaster would be likely to receive.

I've also heard that the B&M trains were too heavy and finished off what the Northridge earthquake started.

I would blame Ghost Rider's condition on the manufacturing more than the maintenance. I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe KBF is lacking in maintenance of that coaster.

I don't think Gold Striker will deteriorate either. CGA has a history of maintaining excellent conditions on their coasters, Top Gun/Flight Deck being a prime example. The only one that's rough is Vortex and I don't think there's anything they can do or could have done about that. The climate in Santa Clara is also alot more woodie-friendly than southern california. I think Gold Striker's biggest threat is really from Prudential. (The company responsible for the noise complaints necessitating all the tunnels and walls..rumor is more to come for next season) So far they haven't really taken away from the ride experience, but enough is enough already.

I'll be interested to see what happens to the Colossus structure from here on out.

^I remember reading in January or February 2013 that Gold Striker would be getting the tunnel on the drop due to noise complaints. 12 year old me was like "Wow! Just like Viper @ Astroworld! " Then when I heard about how even more walls were being built, I was like "Cool. It's like what happened on Balder." I remember talking to an ACEr about this while waiting in line for Wicked Twister at Cedar Point that June. It will be interesting to see even more walls get built on that ride.