TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It also depends greatly on the makeup of the paint as to if it will fade. We had two different bridges with two different paint systems painted the same color at the same time. It's been five years and one of them looks brand new, the other is severely faded. Neither is red or yellow

Turning back towards Scream for a minute, I have always seen that as one of the more strange projects the park has ever done. Back when Scream was was a project at the park, I had a good number of connections and people who would drop me information on what the park was doing. Not all of my sources were great, others were better, but regardless of that what always got me about Scream was how little I heard about the project. In fact the first time I was actually told that it was going to be a B&M was about a month prior to the first spray paint markings appearing for the ride. Before that my information had been that the park might be planning something, but really nothing great. Later on I heard it thrown out there that SFMM wasn't thrilled about getting Scream, and that the ride had been planned for another park (which is a pretty well known rumor), either way with everything considered it does make me wonder about the planning that went in when planning on bringing Scream into the park. It's really not that bad of a coaster, but it has always had the feeling of a ride that was just thrown in last minute. I have always wondered what really took place behind the scenes with that ride.

Supposedly, Scream was meant for SFOT and they got the S&S Tower Complex (S:TOP) that was meant for SFMM. Rumor also has it that this drastic swticharoo was done immediately after CP announced Dragster.

Supposedly, Scream was meant for SFOT and they got the S&S Tower Complex (S:TOP) that was meant for SFMM. Rumor also has it that this drastic swticharoo was done immediately after CP announced Dragster.

That's the same basic thing that I heard at the time. I've never known if it was true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some truth behind it.

Hello Thrill Lovers,

I am from Brazil and I will be in CA for a quick family trip but I am trying to go to Magic Mountain either on Jan 24 or 25. It is my first time in CA, although I´ve been to the US many times before. As I will be by myself and I am a first-timer, can you guys give some advice? Anyone going on the same dates? Are there single riders lines on the park? Is the Flash Pass worth it? Is it too cold to ride? How crowded is it in winter?

All the best,

Leo

January is definitely a great time to visit the park for light crowds and mild weather, but Saturdays can get busy as can any day if there is some kind of event going on such as something bringing in lots of school buses. I doubt you will need a flash pass, but it's always a good idea to bring enough extra cash to buy it at the park in case you get there and notice that it is busier than expected. It almost never gets cold enough to stop the rides during operating hours, so that shouldn't be a concern. You may want to just bring a light sweater and keep it in a l.ocker. (sorry to defeat world filter Robb, I wouldnt do that normally, but from his post he might not know what I'm talking about otherwise)

Magic Mountain does have single rider lines on a handful of rides. Viper and Revolution both have basic single rider lines where you just go in through the exit and notify an operator that you're a single rider. Lex Luthor's single rider line is also through the exit but is only used when necessary; if the ride doesn't have a line longer than about 30 minutes, you'll have to use the regular standby line. Green Lantern's single rider line can be a little tricky to find, but is the greatest time saver. Go in through the exit and look for the stairway with the single rider line on it. (Not the one riders are exiting from). This stairway leads you directly to the dispatching ride operator's chair, right behind the operator in fact. Politely notify the operator that you are there and they will place you on the next available train. (Please be considerate and try not to disturb them if they are actively checking people or dispatching trains)

Riddler's Revenge is the last ride with a single rider line, and it's so hard to find that you'll almost never find anyone else in it. Combined with the large capacity configuration of the trains, and it's a virtually guaranteed walk-on every time. Go through the exit and try to look for the signs..it's kind of around the corner. If you get to the l.ockers, you've gone too far. There's a small non-descript doorway with a stairway inside that leads to the exit-side of the station. This is also not the same stairway that exiting riders will be coming down from. There's a sign marking it as single rider entrance, but it's easy to miss. There's a site giving more detailed info and photos but I can't post the link here. If you want me to send it to you, PM me.

Why are they removing the YOLO stage? They had some pretty cool shows on that stage. Well, the only shows that I know of. SFMM really needs shows!

It's seasonal. It was last year too.

This makes sense, because Scream is so out of place when you consider the direction MM was going in terms coaster installations at the time. They had just opened X and Deja Vu, which at the time were very innovative and cutting edge. It always struck me as strange that they'd follow up a 4D and GIB with a floorless clone

This makes sense, because Scream is so out of place when you consider the direction MM was going in terms coaster installations at the time. They had just opened X and Deja Vu, which at the time were very innovative and cutting edge. It always struck me as strange that they'd follow up a 4D and GIB with a floorless clone

I don't know where I heard it from, but I believe there was a reason they added Scream at that time. SFMM's goal for 2001 was to open 3 new rides: Deja Vu, X, and Goliath Jr. The only one that opened on-time was Goliath Jr; both Deja Vu and X were delayed due to mechanical issues. After opening Deja Vu late in 2001 and X in early 2002, SFMM wanted a reliable coaster next time. So the following year, 2003, they haphazardly added a B&M clone, knowing that it would be reliable and open on-time.

That's the story I was told, but like I said, I forgot where I heard it from and if it is true or not.

I don't know where I heard it from, but I believe there was a reason they added Scream at that time. SFMM's goal for 2001 was to open 3 new rides: Deja Vu, X, and Goliath Jr. The only one that opened on-time was Goliath Jr; both Deja Vu and X were delayed due to mechanical issues. After opening Deja Vu late in 2001 and X in early 2002, SFMM wanted a reliable coaster next time. So the following year, 2003, they haphazardly added a B&M clone, knowing that it would be reliable and open on-time.

That is all true because I remember when the guy form coaster studios said that.

That would have made far more sense to keep it the original intended way. SFOT was lacking a big multilooper, while SFMM never had a drop tower until very recently.

Scream might be the biggest ride that is most often forgotten about. The biggest problem it has is that it just does fit thr lineup of the park very well. In a park packed full of big multiloopers, Scream is often lost in the shadows.

But, now we finally have a ride that broke the trend of inversion packed rides, other than Apoc. and the (unintentionally inversion lacking) Green Lantern. For a nearly 5000 foot ride, it is pleasantly surprising that they went with 'only' two inversions.

But, now we finally have a ride that broke the trend of inversion packed rides, other than Apoc. and the (unintentionally inversion lacking) Green Lantern. For a nearly 5000 foot ride, it is pleasantly surprising that they went with 'only' two inversions.

So thankful SFMM only went for 2 inversions on TC! The park is WAYYYYYY TOOOOOO positive G heavy! I would be very happy to see SFMM's next chapter concentrate on the negative side ... AIRTIME PLEASE! Airtime along with a giga drop would be preferable

So thankful SFMM only went for 2 inversions on TC! The park is WAYYYYYY TOOOOOO positive G heavy! I would be very happy to see SFMM's next chapter concentrate on the negative side ... AIRTIME PLEASE! Airtime along with a giga drop would be preferable

Thinking about it, SFMM would be the best place to get a giga coaster that's more about airtime than speed. They have a hyper that is more about the forces and speed than anything else, and the park lacks airtime anywhere (except when TC opens.) I could honestly see that being their next coaster. They have been saving up these past years with the coasters only totaling around $10 million each.

Why would the announcement of TTD have any affect on what SFMM and SFOT were getting?

That would have made far more sense to keep it the original intended way. SFOT was lacking a big multilooper, while SFMM never had a drop tower until very recently.

Scream might be the biggest ride that is most often forgotten about. The biggest problem it has is that it just does fit thr lineup of the park very well. In a park packed full of big multiloopers, Scream is often lost in the shadows.

I definitely agree with this. While I like Scream, it has never really fit at SFMM, and if the park wasn't so concerned about their coaster count I wouldn't be surprised to see it shipped off to another park where it would fit better (Great America, Over Georgia, Over Texas, and St. Louis would be good places for it). SFMM did have Freefall until the mid-2000s, but once that ride left I kept hoping they would be getting a drop ride each year until they finally added Lex Luthor. I'm not sure if Disney's Space Shot exclusivity had anything to do with the switch or not, but that could have been an additional factor.

It's nice that the park went fairly light on inversions for Twisted Colossus. I was a bit worried the ride would go for the hybrid inversion record with 4-5, but it's only got two and they will enhance the experience more than a couple extra airtime hills would have (the ride will have plenty of airtime anyway).

Thinking about it, SFMM would be the best place to get a giga coaster that's more about airtime than speed. They have a hyper that is more about the forces and speed than anything else, and the park lacks airtime anywhere (except when TC opens.) I could honestly see that being their next coaster. They have been saving up these past years with the coasters only totaling around $10 million each.

As much as I would love to see a giga coaster at SFMM, I would be very surprised if it happened at any point in the near future. Six Flags as a company has stated that $20+ million investments are a thing of the past and since corporate pretty much decides on all the additions we'll probably see something along the lines of a Gerstlauer Eurofighter or B&M Wing Coaster as SFMM's 20th coaster. I'd love to be surprised by something else, but given what Full Throttle is vs. what it could have been, I'm doubting I will.

Why would the announcement of TTD have any affect on what SFMM and SFOT were getting?

It was rumored that SFMM was trying to keep up their coaster count. But this was all hearsay.

I'd love to be surprised by something else, but given what YOLOcoaster is vs. what it could have been, I'm doubting I will.

Has anyone given Premier a chance to build out a big/long coaster? I'm not sure if there is one. But I agree here, F.ull Th.rottle is actually a great ride (smooth and buttery + love that hang time on the vertical loop) ... but it really needs to be longer, and that trim on the downside of that top hat needs to get removed! The track from the downside to the station is not far so I see why they had to stop the train ASAP, but they should've designed it without BRAKING the train in the MIDDLE of a very steep drop in the first place! SIGH

Edited by ioio