TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I've never understood people talking about Viper being rough. While it isn't the smoothest ride ever, you're not exactly leaving with a concussion either.

As far as backwards rides, as a kid I road Psyclone backwards. Anybody else here remember doing that?

Granted, on the very rare occasion you can get an ok ride, but generally I avoid it like the plague.

When I rode Viper last year, I experienced almost no headbanging. I consider it an incredibly lucky credit, since I was also able to use the single rider queue.

Did you actually need to use the SRQ? That's a rarity..must have been a really busy day. Usually the Viper and Revolution SRQs are unnecessary.

I've never understood people talking about Viper being rough. While it isn't the smoothest ride ever, you're not exactly leaving with a concussion either.

As far as backwards rides, as a kid I road Psyclone backwards. Anybody else here remember doing that?

My ears were red for an hour after my last ride on Viper and my head was throbbing and I said never again... Granted, that was probably 6 or 8 years ago, but I have no desire to go back. The trim brakes also kill the whole back half of the ride for me.

^Uhm...while Arrow name has been gone for a decade, the company is still in business as S&S Sendai.

Part of Arrow was picked up by S&S yes, but does S&S still actively supply parts for old Arrow suspended coasters? I was under the impression that they were not (only special orders) which is partially why there has been a disappearance of many suspended coasters throughout the world.

The parts business is more lucrative than the design/manufacturing business. There are hundreds ( probably thousands?) of Arrow and S&S products around the world that still need parts and support.

my last ride on Viper sucked bad. and i used to marathon viper back in the day.

psyclone backwards i dare to say was better than forward. very rare i'd ever say that cause i just think backward coasters aren't that fun.

My ears were red for an hour after my last ride on Viper and my head was throbbing and I said never again... Granted, that was probably 6 or 8 years ago, but I have no desire to go back. The trim brakes also kill the whole back half of the ride for me.

Geez! I've never had an experience like that on Viper. Every time I go to the park, I end up going on viper twice in a row during night time because the line is always short at that time, and I actually quite enjoy that ride. Yeah, the ride is a little jerky at times, but I haven't really noticed any pain while riding. I guess that might be just me, as I'm one of the few who actually enjoy Green Lantern, and the bumpiness of Ghost Rider.

1) I never proposed that Ninja's years were limited due to one-train operation. I'm perfectly aware of the incident that took place this past summer. I'm just considering the fact that Arrow Suspended coasters are a thing of the 80's, and many others have vanished over the years. It's still a fantastic family coasters and has been rounding up many lines the past several months (although probably due to one train operation).

2) I agree, Viper has been known to supply me with some awful rides in the past, but the ride I took a week ago was the smoothest I've ever been on. No headbanging whatsoever, no brakes after the first loop. I mean it hauled A$$. I think Viper and X2 both run smoother in colder weather. Running it backwards was only an idea. In truth, I don't see the park going for "backwards rides" any more. At least not in the immediate future. I had no idea Batman backwards was that bad. I hadn't heard bad reviews about it. Batman forwards is, in my personal opinion, a forceful ride of it's own. I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer Silver Bullet and its spaced out elements better.

I used to love Viper. But I guess that was a long time ago now. lol I never thought it was too rough. But, when I rode Vortex at Banshee Bash this year...wow, that one hurt. I think it was my back that hurt the most, I can't even remember. lol I really just rode so we could get the picture after buying the all day picture pass.

^ We're about the same age. I feel as I get older my tolerance for rough rides lessens. Viper is one that I personally know so well that I can still enjoy it. There are some others that I can't anymore ( SLCs are an automatic skip now), so I guess it's a personal thing.

^ We're about the same age. I feel as I get older my tolerance for rough rides lessens. Viper is one that I personally know so well that I can still enjoy it. There are some others that I can't anymore ( SLCs are an automatic skip now), so I guess it's a personal thing.

i do wonder if some of the older rides, if it's because of my tolerance, or because they just haven't been maintained or aged well.

what bothered me most the last time i rode viper was the restraint. it seemed much tighter on my shoulders than before, and i'm short, and not that much fatter than before. lol

it's still fun though, even a little rough.

Now Batman is a ride I never skip. It's still one of my all time favorite rides. Just not backwards.

I personally just do not like going backwards on coasters that were not designed to do so. To me it's just always kind of dumb.

Superman is obviously the one exception.

Wonder if this 4.5 earthquake has shut down any rides?

A light earthquake occurred at 7:18:09 PM (PST) on Saturday, January 3, 2015.

The magnitude 4.5 event occurred 11 km (7 miles) N of Castaic Lake dam, CA.

The hypocentral depth is 9 km ( 6 miles).

Magnitude 4.5 - local magnitude (Ml)

Time Saturday, January 3, 2015 at 7:18:09 PM (PST)

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 3:18:09 (UTC)

Distance from Castaic Lake dam, CA - 11 km (7 miles) N (354 degrees

Wonder if this 4.5 earthquake has shut down any rides?

A light earthquake occurred at 7:18:09 PM (PST) on Saturday, January 3, 2015.

The magnitude 4.5 event occurred 11 km (7 miles) N of Castaic Lake dam, CA.

The hypocentral depth is 9 km ( 6 miles).

Magnitude 4.5 - local magnitude (Ml)

Time Saturday, January 3, 2015 at 7:18:09 PM (PST)

Sunday, January 4, 2015 at 3:18:09 (UTC)

Distance from Castaic Lake dam, CA - 11 km (7 miles) N (354 degrees

I was in the park (actually on Riddlers Revenge!) when the quake occurred. All the rides were just cycled empty a few times to make sure everything was alright. After that, guests were allowed on no problem.

^ was the park busy today? Planning on heading out tomorrow...

It was empty! Not even two lots were full! I walked onto X2 and there was a 10 minute wait for Tatsu. Full Throttle was 25 min or so, and Goliath was 10 minutes. Nothing else was any longer than that other than Batman, which I waited 40 minutes for with 1 train operation.

Today will probably be even emptier! Have fun!