TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm probably a weird one, but I enjoy riding Riddler's "sitting down". Standing up on that ride is terribly uncomfortable due to my scoliosis and uneven leg lengths, so I generally squat a little every time I ride anyway. Like I said though, I'm probably the minority.

I do about 50/50 standing and sitting. The positive Gs at the bottoms of drops are really painful on my feet, so I put my weight on my butt.

Is it generally recommended to hit the park on the left first? X2 and Tatsu? Or right towards Goliath and YOLOcoaster?

In my experience it's usually better to start with Full Throttle and go counter-clockwise around the park. Full Throttle's capacity is pretty bad, but if you can get on it before the lines build you'll beat the crowd to Goliath and can take out everything from there to Apocalypse with minimal waiting (assuming you do coasters and do not stop). The downside to this is that you'll have to wait in the long line for Tatsu (X2's line gets short mid-afternoon after everyone's done it).

The one exception is if X2 and Tatsu are both higher priority than Full Throttle for you AND you see X2 testing before opening. If X2 actually opens on time (uncommon in my experience) and you can get on and off in 15 minutes, you may be able to beat the crowd to Tatsu. If you go to X2 and it is not yet open, however, you need to proceed immediately to Tatsu or you will miss your window of opportunity for light crowds.

Is there any optimal time for Superman, considering its all along up there?

Superman is often dead in the morning (assuming the big coasters all open on time), but a line will build around an hour after opening and it likely won't go away. If Superman is a priority I recommend riding Full Throttle first then taking the Orient Express to the top of the hill and riding Superman.

The seat height release on Riddlers is completely mechanical, and is controlled by release arms on the track in the station. You can typically see them push latches on the train if you watch closely, and they unlock the seat heights after the train enters the station, and comes to a complete stop. The only explanation is that those mechanisms on the station track could possibly be broken. Because I believe for the most part, once released, the seat heights are spring loaded. Back when the ride was newer, they'd release the seat height mechanism after the train was unloaded, and those puppies would pop up and make a loud noise as they all elevated to their maximum heights.

Perhaps this may spark up a train retrofit, as the whole stand up thing is not only irrelevant at this point, but mostly uncomfortable for anyone that rides. I never understood the stand up thing, and even though Riddlers as a whole is a pretty decent B&M coaster, taking away the stand up gimmick would not make the ride any less enjoyable.

I've stood in line for an hour to get on this thing...please, let me just sit down and relax for a couple minutes on this coaster!

From SFMM's perspective, my guess is they want to keep the title of tallest/fastest stand-up coaster in the world (and I think generally regarded as the best standup?), and there's little incentive to convert to a floor less, since they already have Scream.

I say gut everything at the back of the park and put in a Giga

From SFMM's perspective, my guess is they want to keep the title of tallest/fastest stand-up coaster in the world (and I think generally regarded as the best standup?), and there's little incentive to convert to a floor less, since they already have Scream.
Thats the main thing. CP actually didn't have a floorless. SFMM already has a floorless B&M, they don't need another one so for that reason I doubt they'd convert Riddler's unless it got to the point where the standup trains were end of life and parts became prohibitively inaccessible.

^^Problem with that would be if the train on the top hat rolled back, while the one in the loop just went through fine.

that's right. there would have to be another block for that. on my second ever ride, we flew thru the tunnel without stopping. that was fun.

I'll give a brief review of this past weekend. We spent all day Saturday at the park and only spent a few hours today (Sunday) in the park before we drove home to Phoenix (which I just now arrived).

Crowds were very heavy Saturday. We utilized Gold pass early entry to get on the first YOLO train of the day. You could tell that the cold weather affected it. We crawled through the loop (slower than it already is) and even the tophat seemed forceless. Immediately after, we got a walk-on onto Goliath. Since there was no line, they let us stay if nobody was in our row. We tried the second to last row. The force you feel as you're pulled down the hill from the back row is AMAZING. There was some major airtime on the hill after the second drop too, air that I never felt before. Again, I thank the winter temperatures. We noticed a few RMC guys working throughout the day.

Next we took a final ride on Scream before the re-theme/paint. Good riddance! This thing used to be my favorite ride in the park, but that last ride was miserably shaky. Luckily, I knew all the moments where I needed to use my hands as ear pads. Not fun! Hoping this rehab improves the smoothness.

Batman was running one train but as it was still early, we waited for one train to get the front row. Forceful as always.

We skipped Green Lantern, because it's green lantern.

Next we had the miserable ride on Riddler thanks to the locked-in-place seats. (You can read my complaints a few pages back) I prefer standing on this ride anyway.

We were about to hit Apocalypse but noticed it wasn't running. They mentioned it would hopefully open later. I should also mention that Saturday was a bit windy, though nothing terrible as Lex Luthor was still running.

We worked our way around up to Tatsu who also had a queue spilling down to the stairs that lead up the mountain. We kept going around and noticed the bridge to X2 closed. The workers said it probably wouldn't open today. It didn't. The excess X2 crowds moved over to Viper which had a bit of crowd. My ride on Viper was excellent; probably one of the best rides I've ever had on it.

I don't remember the exact order of the rest of the rides:

Superman - As usual running one side. Line was outside of the Ice Cave most of the day. It would occasionally be "delayed."

Apocalypse eventually opened and was running two trains. Not a bad ride experience.

Tatsu was running two trains, one for each station, which helped move the line.

Goldrusher was especially fun. I remember it being rough in the past, but I had quite an enjoyable ride.

SUNDAY:

X2 was fortunately open. We ran there first and got two rides in, though we had to wait about 5-10 minutes for them to finish testing. Both trains were running, and music was working on both trains.

Superman's line wasn't too long yet, so we went and took a ride on it.

Goliath - We waited about 40 minutes to ride. When we got off, we noticed the queue almost spilling out to the "I" again.

Random: I did notice Superman's Red car was back on the track for the left side (it was missing during Frightfest). What's interesting to notice is that today while in line for X2, I noticed what appeared to look like an old Superman car sitting in the pit area within X2's track.

Viper didn't open with the rest of the park. When we left around 1, we saw it cycling empty trains. Oh, they finally got ride of that stupid hair advertisement off the side of one of the trains.

I'm visiting the park on Tuesday, December 30th, and am bringing a friend who has never been. The forecast says that there will be showers throughout the day, with a 50% chance of rain. Could you guys let me know what rides you anticipate will go down due to weather? The wind should hopefully not be an issue.

Thanks