TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I forgot to post, that a lot of structure was removed from Colossus yesterday. These guys are even working on Christmas Eve to get the job done!

No new construction done in the past few days. I think they should have a big bond fire with all that scrap wood being removed...

Haha a fire with lead-based-paint-covered-wood.

So actually what does an amusement park do with a scrapped wooden coaster?? I can imagine a ride like Son of Beast being able to provide firewood for all of Cincinnati for an entire winter.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't SOB's wood treated so it would be extremely difficult to catch on fire?

I forgot to post, that a lot of structure was removed from Colossus yesterday. These guys are even working on Christmas Eve to get the job done! .

Yes the 2 guys working on Wed the 24th owned the place and got tons of work done and pieces of wood falling from all over the place. I guess when you dont need to worry about people down below crap can get done quicker.

I'm from Chicago and I haven't been able to make it out to California yet to visit Magic Mounitian yet. However, I've seen National Lampoon's Vacation dozens of times and I love watching the Walley World scenes. I was wondering where do all of the filmed scenes in the lark actually take place? Are the locations still there today and do they look the same or different? I've always wondered about when they meet John Candy where that is and also when they get arrested too. Of anybody could help me and post pictures that would be great.

Thanks everyone and merry Chirstmas.

I'm from Chicago and I haven't been able to make it out to California yet to visit Magic Mounitian yet. However, I've seen National Lampoon's Vacation dozens of times and I love watching the Walley World scenes. I was wondering where do all of the filmed scenes in the lark actually take place? Are the locations still there today and do they look the same or different? I've always wondered about when they meet John Candy where that is and also when they get arrested too. Of anybody could help me and post pictures that would be great.

Thanks everyone and merry Chirstmas.

when they meet john candy, that's in the front right after you come into the park. the planters behind the guard he tells to get on the ground are still there and look the same. where they get arrested is still there and where you walk past to go to X2. still pretty much the same there, too. the parking lot and drive into wally world i assume here just staged somewhere. they aren't magic mountain.

also, some in bugs bunny land, but most of that looks different now. i believe some of the cops running in was near log jammer, which is yolo now and completely changed. well, what i believe was the sitting area where you could see and watch the boats come back in.

My friend and I are planning a spontaneous trip to the mountain From Phoenix tomorrow morning. Gonna leave around 4AM, and since we're an hour apart right now, we should be getting there right around park opening time. Valencia weather shows winds though :/

Going to stay optimistic!

Quite a busy day at the mountain today. Almost 3 parking lots full of cars. Not as bad as Tuesday, but almost. Walked by Goliath and it was out to the "I" in Goliath with all switchbacks open at 3.

"Pocky" was closed most of the day, but opened with 1 train at around 4:30. I got 1 ride and then left. Too cold and still too many people at the park. Tomorrows another day.

My friend and I are planning a spontaneous trip to the mountain From Phoenix tomorrow morning. Gonna leave around 4AM, and since we're an hour apart right now, we should be getting there right around park opening time. Valencia weather shows winds though :/

Going to stay optimistic!

It'll be fine with the winds. They said wind advisory today too. All rides were open, no problem - just a lot of people.

It's about a 6 hour drive. You shouldn't hit too much traffic. I've done it several times since I moved to Phoenix this past summer. Keep in mind you gain an hour when you enter California. You'll be at the parking lot at 9 PST. The parking gates typically open at 9:30. Drive safe...

So my friend and I just got off Riddler. Can somebody tell me why the seats are locked in place? I was forced to sit on a standing coaster. I noticed when we got off that every seat in ever row was like that. Yes I sound dramatic right now, but really, if I wanted a vasectomy, id rather it not happen on a roller coaster!

So my friend and I just got off Riddler. Can somebody tell me why the seats are locked in place? I was forced to sit on a standing coaster. I noticed when we got off that every seat in ever row was like that. Yes I sound dramatic right now, but really, if I wanted a vasectomy, id rather it not happen on a roller coaster!

you didn't adjust it before it locked in place? or are you saying they don't ever move? never heard that one before. this wasn't the first time you ever rode a B&M standup is it?

you didn't adjust it before it locked in place? or are you saying they don't ever move? never heard that one before. this wasn't the first time you ever rode a B&M standup is it?

I literally mean, the seats didn't move up or down. They were locked in one position. I've been on riddler several times before and I know the seats move and down to accommodate various heights. The seats were so low I was forced to sit.

Also, as of 11:30, second lot was filling up, Apocalypse was closed with a potential later opening, Tatsu was beginning to go down the hill, Viper's queue was filling up, and X2 was closed. The attendants at the bridge said it probably would not open today. Ninja had almost a full queue. We're in line for Superman now. Line is out of the ice cavern.

I literally mean, the seats didn't move up or down. They were locked in one position. I've been on riddler several times before and I know the seats move and down to accommodate various heights. The seats were so low I was forced to sit.

that's awesome...not.

wonder what's going on with that?

Ive been reading that the crowds were fairy large this past week.

Ive been planning on going tomorrow. Sundays are usually a little quieter right?

Also, whats a good place to check the wind forecast? I dont want to get there and have X2 be closed again, as it has been every time Ive visited the past 5 years...

^Yes, Sundays are usually a little less busy but since this is a holiday period I would still expect the park to be pretty crowded. Expect 60+ minute waits for headliners if you go tomorrow, assuming operations are reasonable. As for wind, I use the Weather Channel. At the moment it doesn't look like wind will be an issue tomorrow and I'm guessing the park would do everything they can to keep X2 open as it is the GP favorite at the park.

That is really odd. I know Riddler's seats tend to be somewhat stiff but if they don't unlock at all something is wrong. If it was a one-time thing it could have been an operator error, but if the seat locking mechanism on one of the trains isn't working probably I'd be surprised if the train is still in use tomorrow, as I have to assume that it is a violation of the operating procedure to not adjust seats to the appropriate height for riders to stand erect (not to mention sitting on the ride is terribly uncomfortable).

^ Both trains on Riddler have the seats locked in a seated position. It was that way yesterday too. Something must be wrong with the seat release, so instead of shutting down the ride they just locked both trains that way. Not a pleasant ride! I enjoy riding Riddler, but not this way. I'm sure it's not permanent, but it's been that way for the past 2 days.

Another busy day today. Several rides down. Goliath went down for over an hour and people had to be evacuated off the final break run coming into the station. I left at 3 and nearly 3 parking lots were full.