TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

some random holiday in the park shots. including colossus from sunday the 7th. anyone know why for 2 weeks in a row now superman has been down?

as for the issue with the piece of new colossus track not fitting properly, looks like he didn't want his daily dose of iron, haha! don't worry, I talked to him (colossus) and he says hes ready now. he was just a little upset. (trust me, crazy as that sounds its all good!)

143189033_12-7-2014(3).thumb.jpg.509fc5fe9a5a49057b4b7662602e05aa.jpg

holiday in the park

1556233363_12-7-2014(4).thumb.jpg.6907c643a498fd4ece3060758d8950ad.jpg

"colossy"

1535440715_12-7-2014(6).thumb.jpg.bf54b01d919728da7ca68567c7bc88a4.jpg

holiday in the park

383678466_12-7-2014(7).thumb.jpg.e6a8fabacc73b9b81f693db556d75ebd.jpg

ornments

Love Viper! Still runs like it did the first ride I took. That first drop in the back seat is awesooooooome. Glad to see its still getting the TLC it deserves.

Anybody live close to the park that'll have a chance to get a pic of Twisted Colossus topped off? Even from far away? That would be sweet. Can't wait to start seeing some big progress on the ride as the track starts going up. Looks like right now they're prepping supports first, so after they're done with that the rest of the track installation shouldn't take too long.

Am I the only one who wishes that drop was much higher? It starts to flatten out too soon :O

If you want a bigger drop there's plenty of other options in the park. I actually think Twisted Colossus is just the right height as a significantly larger hill wouldn't look like the original version and due to California's earthquake codes it would be quite expensive to build.

The ride is looking good. I'm excited to see how the blue and green side-by-side tracks will look coming down the drop.

Am I the only one who wishes that drop was much higher? It starts to flatten out too soon :O

nope, i also was hoping they raised it, but didn't think they would from history of refurbishing. after riding SFGA Goliath, i was so hoping for a 200 footer. i'm perfectly fine with what we are getting. did get the zero g stall i love.

If you want a bigger drop there's plenty of other options in the park.

That's the other issue ... at SFMM, the only 'big drop' is Goliath, but that drop flattens out too soon as well and the drop angle is only 61. X2 IMO is the best drop, but that's a different beast altogether.

What we need is a giga coaster

perfectly fine with what we are getting. did get the zero g stall i love.

Actually, that's the part that looks the most intriguing to me, besides it being a mobius loop. The ride design I think could've been more interesting, it's essentially two big oval loops around the track. I am excited to ride it though, I just think it could've been pushed further

That's the other issue ... at SFMM, the only 'big drop' is Goliath, but that drop flattens out too soon as well and the drop angle is only 61. X2 IMO is the best drop, but that's a different beast altogether.

Let's see...Twisted Colossus has a 128 ft drop, so the following are all larger:

Full Throttle: ~160 ft

Goliath: 255 ft

Riddler's Revenge: 146 ft

Scream: 141 ft

Superman: 328 ft

Viper: 171 ft

X2: 215 ft

Even if you throw out the B&M coasters, SFMM still has five coasters with a big drop by anybody's standard, and three with a drop of over 200 ft (not sure if any other park can claim that, even possibly Cedar Point). Even if some of these aren't particularly great, the point is that SFMM doesn't need another coaster with a huge first drop. Based on my experience, Twisted Colossus's 128 ft drop is probably going to be significantly better than Goliath's 255 ft drop anyway.

Honestly, given past RMC conversions and California I think anyone who was expecting a 150+ ft coaster was probably expecting a bit too much. Not saying you can't dream, but don't judge a ride until you ride it.

Let's see...Twisted Colossus has a 128 ft drop, so the following are all larger:

YOLOcoaster: ~160 ft

I guess the word choice could've been better, I personally didn't mean no other drop in the park was as big (length), I was thinking more along the lines of 'significant'. To me, the TC drop is significant in that the drop is steep (finally!), but the length is short. Goliath has a lengthy drop, but the angle is not steep. Riddlers, YOLO, Scream, Viper's drops are all nice, but nothing special about them. X2 is amazing, period, but different. Personally, I'd like a nice steep AND lengthy drop, a la, a giga coaster Something we completely don't even have on the west coast :/ I'm still super excited to ride TC (my first RMC), but having a bigger drop wouldn't have hurt is all I'm saying

YOLOcoaster: ~160 ft

I don't mean to sound like that guy, but this is why each of those aren't my favorites...

yolo, i don't really call anything it does a drop. over the top hat would be pretty cool, if it didn't brake.

goliath is pretty good, but the slow down at the top kills it. it would be much better, imo, if it just flew over. i could have sworn when it was new it did. can anyone confirm that? my memory fails me.

the B&M twisty drops i'm not really a fan of. but, i do really love Banshee's drop, it's profiled different. back, outside right please.

superman is better for acceleration than the drop, for me.

viper and X2 both beat me up so i just spend more time on stuff i like.

my favorites are long straight ejector drops. so, although smaller, i'm sure i'll love colossus' new drops.

three with a drop of over 200 ft (not sure if any other park can claim that, even possibly Cedar Point).

I hate to be that guy, but Cedar Point has four. (Top Thrill, Millennium, Magnum XL and Wicked Twister.)

That being said, I don't think that a small drop is anything to be ashamed of. Tons of rides pack a smallish drop with a great overall experience.