TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

That was my first thought too, but when you think about it the thing was custom built in the 70s, it's very plausible that the people who designed and built it are no longer at Intamin (and may even be dead), and there werent computers then like there are now, so records may be hard to find and/or nonexistent. It's plausible. I wondered if a company like Otis who invented the elevator (the first elevator, elevators in general, not this specific one) would be able to be contracted..I'm sure they COULD, but I just don't know if the park would want to pay for it. I suspected (but it wasnt said) that it wasnt literally impossible, just that the park couldnt get it done right now whether it be for financial or logistical reasons.

It doesn't work that way. It couldn't have even re-opened at all without proper documentation. There HAS to be technical drawings for it or else it could have never operated to begin with.

I'm not usually one to ask these questions since I actually do get to go to SFMM a lot, but should I be worried about this?

Sharp Cheer & Dance Competition- Western Regionals

It's being held on Sunday Dec. 14th, which is when I'm planning on going next. Normally I'll go on Sundays because it's usually less busy than Saturdays in my experience, but Sundays also normally work in my favor since events seem to happen on Saturdays most of the time. So, any thoughts? Should I maybe consider going on Sat. the 13th instead? My current plan is to hit USH on that day, but I could easily switch them to SFMM on Sat. and USH on Sun.

^I thought that there's museum with the history of Magic Mountain on top of Sky Tower, now I'm confused.

Do you simply refuse to read any posts inbetween your own? Yeesh, man.

For those in the know, have they stated when that Screampunk District area will be closed down (I know there's nothing down there now except for Scream!)? Also, I'm still amazed that the now SBNO tower was originally designed to be the Playboy Club in Chicago!

For those in the know, have they stated when that Screampunk District area will be closed down (I know there's nothing down there now except for Scream!)? Also, I'm still amazed that the now SBNO tower was originally designed to be the Playboy Club in Chicago!

I remember reading 1/5 is when it'll be closed off

I'm not usually one to ask these questions since I actually do get to go to SFMM a lot, but should I be worried about this?

It's being held on Sunday Dec. 14th, which is when I'm planning on going next. Normally I'll go on Sundays because it's usually less busy than Saturdays in my experience, but Sundays also normally work in my favor since events seem to happen on Saturdays most of the time. So, any thoughts? Should I maybe consider going on Sat. the 13th instead? My current plan is to hit USH on that day, but I could easily switch them to SFMM on Sat. and USH on Sun.

Days where there's cheerleading/dance competition at SF:DK means the park will be jammed packed and lines that are normally 20 mins long in the "off-season" become 40 mins long at the shortest. Because families will only watch when their kid is doing something and siblings will be bored and go do the rides. Meanwhile the groups of performers will stand off to the side doing some final practice stuff.

If its anything like these events at SFDK, expect very, very heavy crowds.

Days where there's cheerleading/dance competition at SF:DK means the park will be jammed packed and lines that are normally 20 mins long in the "off-season" become 40 mins long at the shortest. Because families will only watch when their kid is doing something and siblings will be bored and go do the rides. Meanwhile the groups of performers will stand off to the side doing some final practice stuff.

I went once recently (I think during Fright Fest) when there was a cheer competition and the park wasn't too crowded. I can't remember exactly when it was, though, but it was a Sunday.

I went once recently (I think during Fright Fest) when there was a cheer competition and the park wasn't too crowded. I can't remember exactly when it was, though, but it was a Sunday.

I think I was there that same day. It wasn't so horrible I wanted to throw myself off the top of medua's lift hill, but the parking lot became filled that they had to open the parking lot of the fairgrounds.

Personally i'd avoid such days but SFDK doesn't give updates on these sort of events.

In my experience, these usually turn it from a Flash Pass optional day to a Flash Pass recommended day, assuming you want to be sure to ride everything. It's not going to be so crowded you only get on a handful of rides, but you may see waits around 60 minutes for the headliners (for reference, I've never seen a wait over 30 minutes on a typical off-season Sunday). If you visit the park frequently, don't mind waiting in some lines, and aren't stressed over getting everything in I wouldn't worry about it too much. Saturday may be slightly better, but I don't think it will make too much of a difference.

It would be tricky trying to tear that tower down...

Also, Magic Mountain, fix your tower don't tear it down. The longer they leave it SBNO, the longer it will stand as a symbol of the parks poor operations.

According to a good source the skytower has two problems right now. The first is the money. It may be a couple of million or more. The second and more important problem is the state of California. They are calling it an elevator not a ride. So they want it up to elevator codes. This is an oddly shaded elevator with a counter weight pulley system. They haven't founded anyone who can do the job. I know we all like to blame Magic Mountain for everything. But this time they are not at fault.

Edited by Jerome

It would be tricky trying to tear that tower down...

Also, Magic Mountain, fix your tower don't tear it down. The longer they leave it SBNO, the longer it will stand as a symbol of the parks poor operations.

According to "the coaster guy" the skytower has two problems right now. The first is the money. It may be a couple of million or more. The second and more important problem is the state of California. They are calling it an elevator not a ride. So they want it up to elevator codes. This is an oddly shaded elevator with a counter weight pulley system. They haven't founded anyone who can do the job. I know we all like to blame Magic Mountain for everything. But this time they are not at fault.

I understand, and I was aware of this prior to my post. At the end of the day it doesn't matter why the ride doesn't work, what matters is it doesn't work. And that will, no matter what, continue to give the park, a bad image.

If you go to a restaurant and year round they have the bathrooms closed because of a problem that only a specific set of people can solve, are you going to care about that reason? Or are you going to care about whether the bathroom works or not. Me personally, I don't care how you fix it. Same goes for sky tower except in that case, it's not a total necessity. But neither is any other attraction at the park. All know is if I pay for that $70 ticket or season pass; then I want to be able to get the awesome view from sky tower like I always used to- and I should be able to.

Twisted Colossus update

POV Video:

073.thumb.JPG.2b4c718435b1d0c6bbccf1d0346e33c4.JPG

Twisted Colossus construction site.

007.thumb.JPG.4d25a8ea650c7656428898d93b9e0a41.JPG

Today RMC top off the lift hill.

008.thumb.JPG.d25286f701e54508ba4ac3631215a38f.JPG

010.thumb.JPG.d80635ce9134e87e628940915fd0d1d8.JPG

012.thumb.JPG.8ef8500f35843cf780618d78f55fdbc6.JPG

013.thumb.JPG.6424f2764a6d16affe99bae9d82c3c28.JPG

019.thumb.JPG.e44b118efbb4d5a2008f8835b332f4cd.JPG

022.thumb.JPG.cca983fbd3fb5c74fa19a675ae2371b9.JPG

024.thumb.JPG.7f7c7fff77dcead71d32cd15c1bded5a.JPG

026.thumb.JPG.2afd26b50c7ae39266e800685ec1eadb.JPG

029.thumb.JPG.35e1d369fdeb75cbc29cf0d7eb51b095.JPG

028.thumb.JPG.332cc1c0364a51d3999ca9faee738db7.JPG

030.thumb.JPG.1b4d6961d59676eb01b9870b58ebce03.JPG

054.thumb.JPG.e866f0d8ea707713735d687f64c3ed38.JPG

2 half hours later take off the track top lift hill,look like some went wrong on installing or do a test fit on it ? :(

081.thumb.JPG.974672f741ea9ccbe22a049499584cb7.JPG

083.thumb.JPG.3fb77b45ce7d2ed1fb87b2c55a54eb7b.JPG

084.thumb.JPG.20fe91683f481b0809ee5bae50f627a9.JPG

Epic bunny hill.

082.thumb.JPG.a5b27d8a985babfac09282b6023170a0.JPG

075.thumb.JPG.bbaef01eff57fffd7ddf9ee21725c81f.JPG

070.thumb.JPG.a34511920e280b339f8cb5b7e46007e5.JPG

More blue track. :)

076.thumb.JPG.48a1824c3279edd58f8b54923425b495.JPG

039.thumb.JPG.567c877ce878a96fbfb4a128acdebc50.JPG

Viper.

034.thumb.JPG.b7935ea05be0807e76122c7b9217113d.JPG

Viper trains got refurbish and all new wheels both trains.

055.thumb.JPG.7cff65fb7e21d932bda0a7632bc2fc9b.JPG

Lion and Unicorn dancing around.

068.thumb.JPG.5f85f6097d05e1b0fe4143585c09d6df.JPG

Grand carousel most overlook ride at SFMM,love art work on it.

065.thumb.JPG.97e6a0ef94364d138a2659ce82c916fa.JPG

066.thumb.JPG.fc2cf27aee0122530f35f27b8aee1af1.JPG

black sheep not evil ;)

067.thumb.JPG.940ecbb4a186bca2fa5353337a60ebd7.JPG

Dancing around beehive see how many times get sting.

033.thumb.JPG.0c18e8fb6dc5ff1682a7529e9a0c37a1.JPG

052.thumb.JPG.93804c877b929e432ec0bdea9eccbac3.JPG

^ Nice pics!

Went to the park tonight to check out the xmas stuff (a bit meh, but whatevs). Rolled in late and went straight to Apocalypse as I skipped it last visit due to one-train operation. The train got the top of the lift and then stopped, leaving us sitting there for about 20 minutes. Maintenance guys came up to take people's names, and they were talking about a possible evac, but they then got a call to send the train through the circuit. 5 minutes later, we were on our way and it seemed far more smooth from the last time I rode (a few months ago). They shut the ride down after that though, and I returned later to find that they'd removed the train and were back to a single train—one that felt far more rough.

The park wasn't too busy, but there were lines for Full Throttle and (strangely) Goliath for much of the night. The xmas stuff is really just a bunch of lights, some fake snow, and some props. Nothing too mind blowing, but they did manage to keep the crowds entertained. Rode Tatsu for the first time in at least a year (I've never liked it). It felt faster, but that's probably because it had been running all day. Still don't like it though. Colossus is a bit of a mess right now, but as you can see from the pictures above, the crest of the lift is almost done and you can get a sense of how the angle will be pitched.

The xmas stuff is really just a bunch of lights, some fake snow, and some props. Nothing too mind blowing, but they did manage to keep the crowds entertained.

The show in DC Universe is way more than just Christmas lights, and really way above what anyone would expect from SFMM. There's also lives shows in front of Full Throttle. Not Disney, but a little better than just some lights and fake snow. There's fried Oreos for christ sake!

^^Nice update.

^^^ nice pics/update! The only thing I wish is for Goliath (and I guess the park in general) to have more negative Gs! That one bunny hill is the really the only part in Goliath to have that, way too positive G heavy.

I've never taken a good look at the Grand Carousel at Magic Mountain, either; it's always surprising the level of detail you can find in old-school carousels.

I'm looking forward to Twisted Colossus--thanks for the photos.