TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

On the topic, I'm very curious to find out how the blocking system will work. Based on the animation, the trains will fly at least halfway up the second lift, and the chain first begin at the base of that lift. I wonder what happens when a train gets stuck on the second lift. How would the following train make it up that lift?

I know, RMC knows what they are doing, but I'm curious to see how it will work.

Don’t call me stupid or anything, but this has been on my mind for a while what if someone gets sick or hurt on the first go around. And being that the track is combined are they SOL lol until the end of the second half…

If there is an emergency situation that can be verified from the station, the operators will stop the train. If it is not an emergency, it will run the course like normal. Rides don't get stopped on midcourse brake runs because someone had a protein spill on the first drop and as a general rule it is much easier to allow a train to complete a course and compensate inconvenienced guests than it is to stop a ride and evacuate. Plus, if there isn't a safety issue, stopping a train will make guests think there is and demand they want off (no joke...when I've been stopped on rides at Knott's for camera removal (from another guest, of course) several guests always panic even after the announcement that the stop was intentional).

On the topic, I'm very curious to find out how the blocking system will work. Based on the animation, the trains will fly at least halfway up the second lift, and the chain first begin at the base of that lift. I wonder what happens when a train gets stuck on the second lift. How would the following train make it up that lift?

I know, RMC knows what they are doing, but I'm curious to see how it will work.

I'm pretty sure this was discussed before, and I don't think we'll know for sure until construction is complete or the ride actually opens. My guess is either they'll have a brake on the lower part of the second lift before the chain starts or they'll have sensors that will stop the first chain if the second train isn't cresting. Even if there wasn't a brake, as long as the train on the second lift is at the top there would be no chance for a collision due to energy loss.

Maybe this has been answered already. What is to happen to the side of the station that is not going to be used?

i read somewhere they said it would be used for flash pass and was it wheelchair access? hopefully also just expanding the station. always hated how cramped that station is, along with most all the coaster stations at magic mountain.

Maybe this has been answered already. What is to happen to the side of the station that is not going to be used?

i read somewhere they said it would be used for flash pass and was it wheelchair access? hopefully also just expanding the station. always hated how cramped that station is, along with most all the coaster stations at magic mountain.

I did see confirmation that this is true. They will expand the queue into that side and also add ADA + FP queues on that side.

Their should be two photos taken and organized so when the customer buys it, it looks like they're going around the other train or reaching for the high five.

It would be awesome if they could photograph you on both sides and digitally put it together to look like you're high fiving and/or keeping up foreign relations with yourself

I'm assuming there will be a block brake just before the 2nd lift.

This seems strange. Why give up the momentum to a brake run when the train can make it partway up the lift, catch a ratchet, and move up from there? Both lift hills will have ratchets I assume (especially as a safety measure to prevent backsliding)?

On another note, X2 and Apocalypse had maintenance done and are running MUCH better than during Freight Fest. Apocalypse had its second train back, too, and it was a walk-on twice.

This seems strange. Why give up the momentum to a brake run when the train can make it partway up the lift, catch a ratchet, and move up from there? Both lift hills will have ratchets I assume (especially as a safety measure to prevent backsliding)?

On another note, X2 and Apocalypse had maintenance done and are running MUCH better than during Freight Fest. Apocalypse had its second train back, too, and it was a walk-on twice.

It can be very hard on the ride when the train doesn't meet the chain at the right speed. Two slow can cause too much stress on the motor, too fast can put a pretty sharp force on the chain dogs and cause damage. Tremors used to require frequent replacements when ops would let the train leave the station too fast.

Although, having a block brake before the lift doesn't mean that the train will ever stop there or even slow down, it just means it has that capability to. In case of something like a train getting "stuck" on the lift with another train coming behind it. It'd be a weird circumstance but that's what blocking systems are designed to prevent. And yes, you might be able to have two trains on the lift, that doesn't mean that if the lift motor can pull up two trains full or start under that condition.

At the backstage tour, Bonnie confirmed that soon the whole area from the theatre down the hill will be closed for construction and remodeling into "Screampunk District." It was confirmed that Ben and Jerrys will become a sandwich shop and more importantly SCREAM WILL GET REPAINTED (and possibly themed more properly?)! I can't wait!

Also that block is there to help time the two trains to duel. If you get to the second lift hill before the ride ops are done loading the train in the station (and lets face it, that will happen often) the ride has to stop that train before the second lift hill so that the train in the station can catch up so that they both ascend the lift at the same time.

I think the "ratchets" you're referring to are the anti-rollbacks which do in fact do what their name suggests. Its a piece of metal that can only click forward in one direction so if the ride loses power or the motor fails or the chain breaks or whatever, theres still no way the cars will roll backwards down the hill, they just stop in place.