TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Could everyone PLEASE stop posting the same old pics over and over? thanks

But thats this whole thread! Posting the same pics and sating the same BS over and over again! But hey, it's almost up to 4,000 replies

I guess I just added one more useless response. Sorry for dumbing it up just a little more.

I wonder what SFMM will do with the old Colossus track that doesn't get in RMC's way, in particular the third turnaround. Hopefully they don't just leave it sitting there, like Rolling Thunder's track at SFGAd. It's also good to see some new pictures of construction, they have really chopped that turnaround up, haven't they? I can't wait to see some track on that drop, too.

I can almost guarantee they will NOT leave old Colossus track laying to rot. Rolling Thunder's track was left for two reasons: it crosses under El Toro, making it difficult to remove, and as a "memorial." RMC is making major modifications to the support structure, requiring the removal of the track in the first place. It would also look VERY out of place.

But then again, so does Scream. My point still stands.

Rolling Thunder's track was left for two reasons: it crosses under El Toro, making it difficult to remove, and as a "memorial."

I think it's still there because Six Flags Great Adventure wanted the "World's Shortest Wooden Coaster" record. Now, hey, maybe Magic Mountain can beat that one.

Rolling Thunder's track was left for two reasons: it crosses under El Toro, making it difficult to remove, and as a "memorial."

I think it's still there because Six Flags Great Adventure wanted the "World's Shortest Wooden Coaster" record. Now, hey, maybe Magic Mountain can beat that one.

They could also claim the shortest racing coaster, shortest incomplete circuit wooden coaster, and most lazy attempt to memorialize a classic coaster. But who's counting. (Oh, that's right, Six Flags is )

Twisted Colossus is by definition a hybrid coaster. Steel track with wood supports, no different than a ride like Gemini (CP). While it is under the steel coaster category, I would say the longest hybrid coaster is a valid claim, however misleading.

As for the track length, you have to queue once for Twosted Colossus to experience 4,990 feet of track, while you had to queue twice for less than twice the track length. Apart from this, it really doesn't bother me that a major portion if the layout was removed.'the ride experience will be better no matter how you look at it, and that's what matters. I'm all about calling out Six Flags, but RMC has been one of SF's best decisions in years.

I wonder if the trains are going to race?

I can't tell if you're trolling, or being serious. Either way, it's kind of obnoxious.

I was asking the question because I'm curious... not sure how that could be obnoxious either way. I haven't been following the thread and I'm not up to date on all the news and discussions around Twisted Colossus. In the video, the trains are racing. But in the original video for Full Throttle, there was a train going over the top hat, then one through the loop, but the ride never ran like that. So... just wondering.

^Thank you.

It would be odd to promote the "high 5" element and then not have dueling/racing trains. I have a strong feeling this has been discussed many times and I'm late to the topic... haven't been able to follow everything lately. Any which way, this will be one kick butt coaster! The park could once again have a top 10 coaster!

^^I apologize for my earlier post. I didn't realize that you hadn't been around earlier in the thread. I think most of us are approaching TC with a cautious optimism. On one hand the recent handling of some of their attractions is inconsistent at best. On the other hand, if this is their new signature ride, I would think it would be a thing of pride for them, at least for the first few years.

^No problem, totally understand. I was excited to see the TC artwork when it was first announced, but after riding (and observing the operation of) Goliath at Great America (my home park), I'm not overly excited about it. Being wedged that tight into a coaster seat is not fun to me. But there are a couple good moments on the ride!

^^Years ago... many moons ago... in the early days of coaster geekdom, Colossus and Revolution were in everyone's top 10 lists (divided into separate wood and steel, of course). Colossus with PTC trains was very popular! (I've heard from a few who honestly rode the 1978 NAD Colossus and the later 79/80s PTC Colossus. To my surprise, they say that the later re-worked version was much more enjoyable. Vincent Price wouldn't ride it a 2nd time for America Screams!)

Is X2 considered a top 10-ish coaster? I think I've seen it on some lists.